Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr. Oz Show - Sea Buckthorn Oil for Skin and Weight Loss
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:07 am      Reply with quote
I watched the Dr. Oz Show that appeared on June 3 and he discussed the "miracle berry" -- Sea Buckthorn.

Dr. Oz stated that Sea Buckthorn helps with constipation, it is loaded with antioxidants, improves skin when the oil is applied topically, and get this, may help with weight loss.

Okay, so I was more excited about hearing about the weight loss part, than the skin benefits. LOL! So, Dr. Oz said there was a study done with 2 groups of mice. Both groups of mice were given a high fat diet to eat. But, only 1 group had the addition of also ingesting Sea Buckthorn Oil. At the end of the study, the group that did not take the addition of Sea Buckthorn Oil with their high fat diet, became obese and also developed health problems. The mice that took the Sea Buckthorn Oil with the fatty diet, did not become overweight.

Dr. Oz recommended taking 500 mg of Sea Buckthorn Oil daily. I thought it was interesting.

Anyway, thought I would pass this info. along. Here is the video clip from the June 3 Dr. Oz episode if anyone would like to see it:

Dr. Oz (Part 1)
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/new-miracle-berry-pt-1

Dr. Oz (Part 2)
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/new-miracle-berry-pt-2

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, MystyPines! I'm attempting to lose some weight right now, and the addition of this might be helpful!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I have the Seabuckthorn Oil form Ruseel Organics I ordered here on EDS.
I love it and use it for lots of things, but do not ingest it. Topically, it is a wonderful oil. I may look into the supplements!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
I saw the show last week, and since then I have been very curious about the Buckthorn oil. The problem is how do you handle so many different serums in a week? I read somewhere that rose hip oil is necessary, and I read somewhere else to use Squalene oil. Sigh---any advice? Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
I watched the Dr. Oz Show that appeared on June 3 and he discussed the "miracle berry" -- Sea Buckthorn.

Dr. Oz stated that Sea Buckthorn helps with constipation, it is loaded with antioxidants, improves skin when the oil is applied topically, and get this, may help with weight loss.

Okay, so I was more excited about hearing about the weight loss part, than the skin benefits. LOL! So, Dr. Oz said there was a study done with 2 groups of mice. Both groups of mice were given a high fat diet to eat. But, only 1 group had the addition of also ingesting Sea Buckthorn Oil. At the end of the study, the group that did not take the addition of Sea Buckthorn Oil with their high fat diet, became obese and also developed health problems. The mice that took the Sea Buckthorn Oil with the fatty diet, did not become overweight.

Dr. Oz recommended taking 500 mg of Sea Buckthorn Oil daily. I thought it was interesting.

Anyway, thought I would pass this info. along. Here is the video clip from the June 3 Dr. Oz episode if anyone would like to see it:

Dr. Oz (Part 1)
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/new-miracle-berry-pt-1

Dr. Oz (Part 2)
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/new-miracle-berry-pt-2

Mysty Pines; eating coconut oil helps with constipation, too. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
He also jumped on the acai berry bandwagon and ended up recommending a company that sold a supplement. The company wouldn't cancel automatic orders after customers requested and got a lot of complaints. I wouldn't doubt that he gets paid to push products and I cannot stand him......
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Skyla wrote:
I saw the show last week, and since then I have been very curious about the Buckthorn oil. The problem is how do you handle so many different serums in a week? I read somewhere that rose hip oil is necessary, and I read somewhere else to use Squalene oil. Sigh---any advice? Rolling Eyes

I have a suggestion - Make your own serum with all three in it.
Skyla
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:43 am      Reply with quote
Jom; I don't trust myself with DIY's, and who knows if one oil would cancel out the rest or accentuate effects. BTW, do you really love the Skinceuticals? Let me know, PLEASE.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:50 am      Reply with quote
flgirl wrote:
He also jumped on the acai berry bandwagon and ended up recommending a company that sold a supplement. The company wouldn't cancel automatic orders after customers requested and got a lot of complaints. I wouldn't doubt that he gets paid to push products and I cannot stand him......

flgirl; I like him, or I used to like him, but he HAS become a product pusher ( peddlar), and he must make a FORTUNE, but he isn't the only one; they all do if you watch these shows ( I watch them when I work from home)...! And because of his status, people run out to buy. Not only do these shows 'push products,' they also push medical testing and use scare tactics to try to make people run to get tested. Note, these shows also push TONS and TONS of supplments and insist WE all need to EAT certain foods (most are exotic and pricey). In today's economy, people are struggling just to get by---oh, I have to run now---I need to buy my acacia berries, my figs ( so I can make the chocolate pudding) and the pomegranites--- Laughing !!! Bad Grin Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:15 am      Reply with quote
Skyla wrote:
oh, I have to run now---I need to buy my acacia berries, my figs ( so I can make the chocolate pudding) and the pomegranites--- Laughing !!! Bad Grin Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing Too funny!

I don't believe Dr. Oz mentioned in this episode which brands of Sea Buckthorn to purchase, he just stated the different forms of the berry that can be used -- berry itself, juice, oil caplets and said to take 500 mg. daily.

I did go to the GNC store and found a brand of the oil caplets and purchased them. They were extremely expensive, as is the juice. I just started taking them today.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:25 am      Reply with quote
You are absolutely right, he didn't mention a brand. I did a google search as the show was running. I hope I didn't upset you. Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Skyla wrote:
You are absolutely right, he didn't mention a brand. I did a google search as the show was running. I hope I didn't upset you. Crying or Very sad

Of course you didn't upset me, Very Happy Laughing

I only started watching the Dr. Oz show. I work during the day so I never see daytime television. I have one of those DVR's now so I can record programs. So, I decided last Friday to start recording Dr. Oz and The Doctors everyday and watch them at night. I don't know much about Dr. Oz. I just found the whole mice study interesting and I have been losing weight since January 2010, down 50 lbs. and down 4 to 5 dress sizes. I would like to lose about 10 lbs. more. It is difficult getting those last few pounds off. I do weight train every other day, I just thought maybe this Sea Buckthorn would help with the weightloss. Keeping my fingers crossed.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I don't think it's a good idea to make a DIY of so many oils together. Your skin probably can handle the absorption of all three. Perhaps you could just rotate them each day or at different times during the day.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Rotating oils is a recommended by many professionals who support the use of oils. It is often a good idea to use one of your oils at a time to maximize benefits of each one as you use them before you move onto another. I would rotate weekly. there are many choices out there. Mountain Rose Herbs is a website that has been in business a long time - supports organically grown AND harvested products - very good prices for top of the line product and lots of choices. I do not work for them Laughing I just like good stuff. Another good oil supplier is Shea Terra Organics.com. My current favorite oil (a magical combination is Potenshaa).

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
I don't think it's a good idea to make a DIY of so many oils together. Your skin probably can handle the absorption of all three. Perhaps you could just rotate them each day or at different times during the day.

I'm pretty sure all 3 would be fine - the pro's around here seem to do it all the time! The only thing is that they've probably already experimented a lot before deciding on the levels in their blend. I do think that 3 at once would make it tougher to narrow down which you're responding positively or negatively to. There's probably a easy trick to that though.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Skyla
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:29 am      Reply with quote
Mysty Pines; I am so glad you aren't upset; I must have sounded as if I were on a rant; great that you have lost weight. I do like Dr. Oz, but I was susceptible to running out and buying everything recommended in magazines and on television; I learned over time, and like you, during the show, I was already googling the Buckthorn Oil.
Hugs

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:32 am      Reply with quote
I started using the Sibu oil for my face and like it better than any cream formulations. It sinks in fast. I may try the capsules next.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Sibu oil; never heard of it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:01 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Sibu oil; never heard of it.

http://www.sibubeauty.com/

I found it at my local healthfood store. It's also been on the Shopping Channel in Canada. There is skincare and supplements.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
flgirl wrote:

I seem to remember an acai product company that used fake endorsements. That is, the company said celebrity so-and-so endorsed it but so-and-so was not affiliated in any way. The celeb might have said something about acai in general but not in the context of an endorsement.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I LOVE sea buckthorn oil. It's the best and strongest oil I've used so far. Darn, I was hoping it wouldn't ever be hyped up, which would drive the price up Sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
CM; are you using it topically? What results are you seeing and where do you get your oil?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Skyla,

I've only used it topically. I bought it from Mountain Rose Herbs, and their version is from the whole berry pressed, meaning it includes both the fruit and seed oils. I dilute it in an oil because it it bright red/orange. I think the general recommendation is to dilute it so that it is less than 5% of the total volume. Honestly, I just eyeball it, and I like to apply it strong, typically diluted by avocado oil or rosehip seed oil. I think I recall, though, that you have to dilute it to less than 1% if you want to avoid any/much color in the resultant product. But those are just rough guidelines. Oh, and finally, the oil easily STAINS things so you have to be extremely careful when using and pouring it. My pillow case has orange marks from where I rest my head when I sleep at night, but again, that's because I apply it in higher concentrations and don't mind. HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
As for results, I notice that my skin is softer, more hydrated, and I have to exfoliate less. HTH Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, indeed, it does help. I went to Whole Foods yesterday --- I am always there looking for things and buying yogurt and croissants, and I saw they had many oils ( all on sale). I will consider this, and you have been so helpful. Thank you! Very Happy Smile

Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |