Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
29 year-old acne, factors & advice (sorry so long)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DangBo

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I'm for sure gonna dig through the forums for previous posts but I wanted to introduce myself as a new member and put my specific situation out there:

I'm a 29yo male and I've recently had a huge upsurge of blemishes. Whiteheads, blackheads, cystic acne, crazy huge clogged cheek/nose pores and tiny bumps that I can pop. This has all been going on since I moved to a new city to return to college. So my lifestyle is COMPLETELY different than it was last year. I eat a lot more seeds/nuts, peanut butter, and ramen and a lot less meat and dairy. I don't have much of a routine anymore and I'm under more stress (good and bad stress) than when i worked in an office all day. And as opposed to driving to work and pushing papers, I now walk to school and all around campus and back every day. I think the winter dryness (I moved here Jan1) really shocked my skin and my immune system (I was sick for like two months when I first got here). I live in Florida and it's horrible humid and muggy now and I sweat A LOT.

So I've started using a lot more facial products whereas before I just washed my face when it felt nasty which wasn't that often. Here's what's in my bathroom: Aveeno Cream Cleanser and Aveeno Daily Scrub (use most often), Clean & Clear Astringent and Oxy Pads (when it's oily and I'm not in the shower), and Nivea for Men Oil Control Balancing Lotion (during the day the past few weeks).

I do a lot of picking just because I'm obsessive like that, mainly on my giant clogged nose and cheek pores. But if it even looks poppable, I go for it. But I'm turning 30 around Thanksgiving and I'm not taking it well (quarter-life crisis) and I would just like to not have lots of blemishes even though I suppose they make me look more authentically collegiate. Laughing

What should I do? Thanks in advance y'all!
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome! It is always nice to see new members and esp. males (as you are the minority). Very Happy

First advice is no surprise...stop picking! Confused I know its hard, but if you must...use a needle or extractor to avoid scarring. This is everyones dirty little obsession, but it really can lead to scars we all regret later.

Also, I would stay away from the Oxy pads. Unless they changed the formula....I believe they were suggested by someone on here for fixing feet calluses....way too harsh on the skin IMHO.

I think you need to go back to basics. Changing climates always plays havoc with my skin too. Unfortunately some places will do it and it will be an up hill battle. I have a heck of a time in SoCal. No matter what I do all I can hope for is to minimize the effect. So trying to determine what is your skin type now and get a good cleanser and moisturizer would be a good start. A nice mask couldn't hurt either.

If it has been a few months and you haven't adjusted to the area, then you will have to adjust fire and see what works. You may have to try a few brands to see what works for you.

Have you looked into the Clinique line for men? I know, I know... folks hate clinique on here, but most men don't have an established routine and the men's line is pretty easy to put together. They sell starter kits (at least they used too) and the reps can see what type skin issues you are having and suggest which would work for you. I think Clinique is a good starter brand when you don't know what to look for. The price range isn't horrible either.

Proactive could also be something to look into. I liked the mask back in the day. I used it in my 20's. Too harsh for me now and the sizes suck (too small for price), but it did get my acne under control. Something to think about.

I also love my ZNP bar. You have to ask for it at the pharmacy or order online. This works great for body acne! I think you could use it on the face too. I have and it works there too. It is about $8. Just when you use it, soap up and leave it on for a couple minutes. The Zinc works great!

I don't really have suggestions for OTC cleansers since I really believe in OCM, but you may not be ready for that yet. My hubby never has gotten over that method for cleaning. If you are are interested there is lots on here about it. I would suggest OCM, Mint Julep Mask, and a moisturizer. That would be the bare basics it money is an issue.

Hope this isn't too jumbled or long. Very Happy Good Luck!

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:41 am      Reply with quote
I'm 28 went through the same stuff, minus the environmental factors.

I have oily skin and lots of clogged pores and used to get cystic acne.

First I used benzoyl peroxide cleaner 5%, and it helped things stay under control at least the cystic acne, but it always come back if I didn't use the cleanser faithfully. But it didn't work on the clogged pores. But I heard BP is bad for your skin in the long run so I moved on to Retin A micro 4% for my face.

This took like 3 months to work and now I don't break out at all, unless I consistently miss a spot on my application. Like underneath my jawline. I find Retin A helps with whiteheads and black heads too. I would ditch the hard products like Oxy pads if they contain alcohol and simplify your skin routine.

I have oily skin and find that adding other oily stuff like creams and sunscreens clogs my pores but I think their necesssary evils.

My routine.
AM
Wash face with salycic acid cleanser (Neutrogena)
Vitamin C serum - probably clogs me
UV protecting cream - probably clogs me
Zinc Oxide Sunscreen - probably clogs me too

PM
Wash face with salycic acid cleanser
5% Glycolic acid toner - makes Retin A penetrate more (you will want to skip this step if you decide to start Retin A, at least when you first start)
Retin A micro 4% -a god send for my acne problem
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
You've gotten some good advice, and I second the no picking. Here are some tips: http://www.acne.org/habit-reversal.html
And I know it sounds trite, but picking makes it worse: it spreads the bacteria around and causes scarring.

Also, I highly recommend seeing a good dermatologist. They've got a whole bag of tricks to help you, both short-term and long-term.

Some of my standbys: Olay gentle foaming face wash for sensitive skin; Olay Regenerist serum fragrance-free (niacinamide has all sorts of anti-acne and anti-inflammatory benefits); Neutrogena 3-in-1 acne stress control hydrating treatment with 2% BHA--though now instead of BHA I use Retin A (for acne it's probably best to start with a gel, not the cream). Oh, and Clindamycin gel.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hello! Welcome Very Happy

I think you need to start slow and visit your doctor. You should get a blood test done and go from there.

I have read that men have thicker skin then women, but having skin problems and damage your skin. Take it slow, that is all I can say.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
I had adult acne in my late 20s but I'm a girl. Use Retin-a and work on your diet. You may need to work with it for several months or longer to fine tune what is not working for you. I recommend The Shwarzbein Principle and The Genotype Diet.

http://www.amazon.com/Schwarzbein-Principle-Healthy-Feeling-Younger/dp/1558746803

I've read about acne for year, struggled with it myself & there needs to be discussion about how acne is a hormonally based disorder of the ENDOCRINE glands.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |