Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Use of Efudix as Skin Care treatment?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LindaJane
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I was prescribed Efudix for a pre-cancerous little spot.
I used it on my whole face and liked what it did. Then read where people used it as a skin treatment/cream. I've read people have had horrible reactions from it. I had no bad reactions, like with Renova.
Does anyone have any experience using this?...or for how long?
Thanks
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:32 am      Reply with quote
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=34433&highlight=efudix
Quite a few pages if you care to read.
Interesting subject, but since I cannot even tolerate retinova, I am not the right test subject!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Oh yes, I can remember the looks of pity I got towards the end!

Lagomorph had a trial with Efudix/Efudex and Retin-A so her posts encouraged me to try it for myself.

I did about 2 weeks' nightly application of Efudix mixed with Retin-A 0.05% and posted lots of pictures.

It was about a year ago. Only ever did it once as you look bad for about a week and I've been using Palovia for a while (done a few TCAs since then and got a CO2 Fractional).

Be careful as it's not something you undertake lightly, and you will not look pretty! Red, weeping, crusting skin, and some itching towards the end..for me anyway.

There's also a post about the contraindications (eg, not to use it while you're pregnant, etc). http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=540427&highlight=chemotherapeutic+efudex#540427

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:46 am      Reply with quote
LindaJane wrote:
Hi,
I used it on my whole face and liked what it did. Then read where people used it as a skin treatment/cream. I've read people have had horrible reactions from it. I had no bad reactions, like with Renova.
Thanks

Hi LindaJane,
Did you have any of the side effects that LJK described? And, what benefits did you see? Thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't say side effects so much, it's part and parcel of using Efudix, it's pretty gruesome.

AnnieR posted a good link on the original thread, with a skin cancer patient: http://www.sannerud.com/people/efudex/My%20Carac%20Diary_files/frame.htm

Another: http://funwithefudex.com/index.php/category/journals/journal-fritz

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
LindaJane
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
I'm using Renova...so not sure if the effects are from Renova, or Vit. C serum I use in the am...Nothing Bad, unless I put it on really sensitive areas of my face...
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
LindaJane wrote:
Hi,
Thanks

How long did you use the efudix for? I used it for 2 weeks 2x a day on a pre-cancerous spot and that area looked like raw meat after 5-7 days. Took weeks to look semi-normal and months for the redness to go away. It did blast the pre-cancerous spot.

They say that the more cancerous cells you have the worse you look.

I tried Aldera before that and it did nothing. Apparently your body has to process a certain enzyme for Aldera to work and the derm said some people didn't have the right enzyme (or didn't process it the same way, something like that), which is why it didn't work on me. Perhaps efudix has the same thing which is why it didn't do anything for you?

Did it clear up the pre-cancer spot? I guess that's what counts!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Oh Louise, I now remember that other thread as well!
My goodness, it certainly was a topic for debate and brings back memories. Those of us who were extremely fascinated but horrified at the side effects read in great detail. I was rooting for you!
Were you glad that you did it in the end and were the results worth it did you think?
Such a brave test subject you were.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:28 am      Reply with quote
I wore (patchy) cream compact makeup for a while when I looked really irradiated..and I hate foundation Laughing

Around that time I stayed at mum's and my brother's girlfriend was there..I got up for breakfast sans makeup. She actually jumped and gave a loud gasp when she saw that red, weepy face!

As for skin resurfacing (which is my goal)..I'd say, not really. After the Efudix bout I got fractional CO2 5 months later (and not very invasive at that), now on the Palovia roundabout. I'm beginning to wonder if skin rejuvenation is a fairytale as I never seem to look "better". I take time out to heal, of course.

As the Efudix is a week or so of severe uglies, I'm thinking of doing it again in a few months, once I've given Palovia a good shot and had a break.

Ablative CO2 is probably the way to go, but it's really out of favour now. Nobody seems to offer it any more (?). Efudix is probably as close as a really hardcore at-home laser as we're going to get. Palovia I'd compare more to a light dermaroll.

AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:15 am      Reply with quote
You may be right. I had the ablative C02 and I can't say it did a thing. After the weeks of weepy, crusty skin and peeling/healing, ugh!!And along with Cool Touch, Fraxel, peels, I have tried them all to frustrating results.
The occasional IPL (when done correctly) has been the only thing that I can say made a differance for me, but that was more for rosacea, spots, broken caps, etc., not wrinkles or fine lines. When it was done incorrectly, it stretched out my skin and gave me wrinkles where I had none.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
I actually thought the ablative CO2 was considered the "gold standard" in skin rejuvenation. So, this is not the case anymore? Does anyone know why? Is it because of the considerable down time, expense, or lack of lasting results??

Just curious as I was going to look into it this fall. Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
LindaJane wrote:
I'm using Renova...so not sure if the effects are from Renova, or Vit. C serum I use in the am...Nothing Bad, unless I put it on really sensitive areas of my face...

Hi LindaJane,
Am I understanding correctly that you did not experience the side effects using Efudix like ljk did?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't experience any of the bad reactions experienced by others using Efudix...
And Why???..did this Post get SO off-Topic??
Using Aldera and CO2?...Have No idea what that is and it doesn't relate to the question..
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
LindaJane wrote:
I didn't experience any of the bad reactions experienced by others using Efudix...
Using Aldera and CO2?...Have No idea what that is and it doesn't relate to the question..

I think the discussion of using Efudix for the purpose of skin care treatment encouraged others to ask questions about your experiences with Efudix AND discuss some other means of skin care rejuvenation i.e. CO2 laser.

Some posters, like ljk, have used both treatments to help with skin texture. Hearing her experiences and comparisons can be helpful to all of us.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:41 am      Reply with quote
LindaJane-In comparing the two treatments Efudix & C02, the two have similar side effects/recovery for some: weepy skin, crusting, redness, etc. Both can be scary if you are not prepared, but should have similar outcomes. It seems they may not.
I thought that the experience with this treatment and the threads that related to this question would help. Having followed some who went through this process as well, it helps to put the level of recovery in relation to other treatment for me.
Kims-If you want to PM me, I will be more than happy to share the details on C02. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:58 am      Reply with quote
LindaJane wrote:

Once again - can you confirm how long you used Efudix? If it's only been a few days, you may not see any bad reaction. You have to use it for 7-10 days in a row to get the problems.

For what it's worth, Aldera is an alternate cream treatment for pre-cancerous skin lesions. Comparable to Efudix in effectiveness for eliminating the cancer.
LindaJane
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
I used it for about a week, then I stopped using and just stuck with the renova.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I've been given Efudix Cream by a skin doctor to treat Solar Keratosis. I've been using it for five days and so far it's done nothing at all. My skin is not even the slightest bit pink. The doctor said to apply it for one week and then spot treat for week. He's then going to laser off the pre-cancerous spots after my skin has healed from the cream - but I'm a bit worried that nothing is happening.

I figure that I abuse my skin so much on a daily level that it thinks it's having a holiday!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I've been given Efudix Cream by a skin doctor to treat Solar Keratosis. I've been using it for five days and so far it's done nothing at all. My skin is not even the slightest bit pink. The doctor said to apply it for one week and then spot treat for week. He's then going to laser off the pre-cancerous spots after my skin has healed from the cream - but I'm a bit worried that nothing is happening.

I figure that I abuse my skin so much on a daily level that it thinks it's having a holiday!!

Keliu,
Did you see Shastagirl's post on June 7? She mentioned something about the possibility of needing a particular enzyme within our chemical make-up or the way our bodies process it in order for the Efudex to be effective??

Have you spoken to your derm about your "non-reaction?"

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Keliu,
Did you see Shastagirl's post on June 7? She mentioned something about the possibility of needing a particular enzyme within our chemical make-up or the way our bodies process it in order for the Efudex to be effective??

Have you spoken to your derm about your "non-reaction?"

Yes I read that. I went back to the pharmacist and she said to just wait, it will eventually kick in - but that was a couple of days ago. I might have to ring up the derm's office and ask them. Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

When I used Efudix, it took about 7 days to see anything on the skin from the cream. Then it started to turn pink, then red and then oozy with dots of bleeding/scabbing (a lovely look..) And that was twice a day application. Use have to use it about 28 times to completely get rid of a keratosis.

The Aldara cream was the one I heard specifically that you required a certain enzyme. Not quite sure on Efudix.

The other thing...supposedly your skin only gets red and oozy if there is really a keratosis, so could be it's not pre-cancerous.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
Keliu wrote:

When I used Efudix, it took about 7 days to see anything on the skin from the cream. Then it started to turn pink, then red and then oozy with dots of bleeding/scabbing (a lovely look..) And that was twice a day application. Use have to use it about 28 times to completely get rid of a keratosis.

The Aldara cream was the one I heard specifically that you required a certain enzyme. Not quite sure on Efudix.

The other thing...supposedly your skin only gets red and oozy if there is really a keratosis, so could be it's not pre-cancerous.

Ok thanks. I went and saw the pharmacist again and she said just to keep on applying it. It will be a week on Monday so I'll see what happens by then.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:34 am      Reply with quote
It's now been a week and the Efudix has had no effect on my skin - HOWEVER, I now have oral mucositis on my lips and my eyes are burning (known side effects of this cream). I feel completely wretched. Will be ringing the doctor first thing in the morning.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
It's now been a week and the Efudix has had no effect on my skin - HOWEVER, I now have oral mucositis on my lips and my eyes are burning (known side effects of this cream). I feel completely wretched. Will be ringing the doctor first thing in the morning.

Hope you feel better soon! Perhaps, your skin is just immune?? This just goes to show how individually we each can respond to skincare and skin treatments.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Hope you feel better soon! Perhaps, your skin is just immune?? This just goes to show how individually we each can respond to skincare and skin treatments.

Spoke to the doctor this morning. Have to stop using the cream immediately. The reaction that I have is a classic reaction to chemotherapy. Efudix Cream is a chemotherapy drug. Just have to put SM33 on the ulcers - hopefully, now that I've stopped using the cream, the symptoms will subside.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |