Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Is CeraVe cleanser better then Cetaphil?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
If CeraVe cleanser is better, which of the two CeraVe cleanser is good to remove makeup without drying and not having any moisturizing ingredient to cleanse the skin. Also, is it safe to use CeraVe cleanser on the eyes?
bebeklein
5% products discount

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
I prefer CereVe Hydrating Cleanser to Cetaphil. I've never tried the other cleansesr which I understand is not as hydrating.

I tried Cetaphil because you hear it's what dermatologists recommend...butI was never impressed with the results. I felt it left my face congested (combo skin)and it has sulfates & parabens. Cereve cleaned my skin better without drying it. It still has parabens but no sulfates and it has hyalarunic acid. They are both relatively inexpensive so always worth a try to see what works best with your skin type.

I've never used it on my eyes.

I've found an EXCELLENT USE FOR CETAPHIL MOISTURIZER however, ....it's an amazing body lotion that makes my skin baby soft. . And very inexpensive if purchased at Costco.

Ingredients in Cetaphil: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben.

Ibgredients in CereVe: Purified Water , Glycerin , Behentrimonium Methosulfate , Cetearyl Alcohol , Ceramide-3 , Ceramide 6-II , Ceramide 1 , Hyaluronic Acid , Cholesterol , Polyoxyl 40 Stearate , Glyceryl Monostearate , Stearyl Alcohol , Polysorbate 20 , Potassium Phosphate , Dipotassium Phosphate , Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate , Cetyl Alcohol , Disodium EDTA , Phytosphingosine , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Carbomer , Xanthan Gum
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:23 am      Reply with quote
As you can see in the ingredients list posted above, Cetaphil contains the very basic and minimal ingredients needed to clean the skin. This is good for people with sensitive skin and who do not wear heavy makeup. CeraVe has more beneficial ingredients but the downside is that some people may not be able to tolerate so many chemicals on their skin, but for people who can, the ingredients are very very good.

The same goes for the moisturizers. Cetaphil has the basic ingredients to be considered a moisturizer - primarily glycerin. CeraVe moisturizers are better in that it actually has more beneficial ingredients like niacinamide and several other important fatty acids I believe.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:19 am      Reply with quote
I personally like Cerave better then Cetaphil but neither is effective for removing makeup. I use Cerave as a morning cleaner only.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Actually, Cetaphil is not very good for sensitive skin as it contains sodium laurel sulfate which irritates my eyes. A gentle cleanser should not sting the eyes.

oasisjc wrote:
As you can see in the ingredients list posted above, Cetaphil contains the very basic and minimal ingredients needed to clean the skin. This is good for people with sensitive skin and who do not wear heavy makeup. CeraVe has more beneficial ingredients but the downside is that some people may not be able to tolerate so many chemicals on their skin, but for people who can, the ingredients are very very good.

The same goes for the moisturizers. Cetaphil has the basic ingredients to be considered a moisturizer - primarily glycerin. CeraVe moisturizers are better in that it actually has more beneficial ingredients like niacinamide and several other important fatty acids I believe.
LightenNlift
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:15 am      Reply with quote
Cetaphil is like water; cerave has ceramides and well researched conditioning agents.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:33 am      Reply with quote
I use and prefer Cerave moisturizer for Tanaka massage. it's perfect.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:53 am      Reply with quote
It depends on what you need your cleanser to do. Do you want to wash off dirt and makeup off your skin in a non-irritating way and that is it? Than Cetaphil will do those things. Treat acne, treat the effects of aging, lighten and brighten skin? Then no, Cetaphil will not do those things.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:29 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Actually, Cetaphil is not very good for sensitive skin as it contains sodium laurel sulfate which irritates my eyes. A gentle cleanser should not sting the eyes.

oasisjc wrote:

Well it is for sensitive skin, not for sensitive eyes so I think it's still gentle in that it doesn't irritate the skin or dry it out.
flgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:40 am      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:
It depends on what you need your cleanser to do. Do you want to wash off dirt and makeup off your skin in a non-irritating way and that is it? Than Cetaphil will do those things. Treat acne, treat the effects of aging, lighten and brighten skin? Then no, Cetaphil will not do those things.

What cleanser do you know of that does all those things you mentioned?
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:47 am      Reply with quote
I have been using Image Total Cleanser with my Clarisonic Pro. I feel like the glycolic acid in the cleanser and the Clarisonic working together is making my age spots fade andmy minor wrinkles become less noticable.

It be clear, this product isn't a gentle cleasner like the OP was asking about!
flgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Just asking for myself...I didn't think a cleanser was on the skin long enough to really fade age spots and help with wrinkles but I would look into it.

I use glycolic serum and glycolic peels though so that would probably be overkill for someone like me.

Thanks for the info....
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:22 am      Reply with quote
"Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is one of the most irritating cleansing agents used in skin-care products. In fact, it’s considered a standard comparison substance for measuring skin irritancy of other ingredients."

"Sodium lauryl sulfate is used throughout the world for clinical testing as a primary skin irritant. Laboratories use it to irritate skin on test animals and humans so that they may then test healing agents to see how effective they are on the irritated skin".

oasisjc, please, note that Cetaphil contains a large amount of it. So it is not good for sensitive skin.

oasisjc wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:

oasisjc wrote:

Well it is for sensitive skin, not for sensitive eyes so I think it's still gentle in that it doesn't irritate the skin or dry it out.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Oh, lauryl sulfate, not laureth. Yes, I stand corrected then, lauryl sulfate can be quite irritating.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:41 am      Reply with quote
flgirl wrote:
Just asking for myself...I didn't think a cleanser was on the skin long enough to really fade age spots and help with wrinkles but I would look into it.

I use glycolic serum and glycolic peels though so that would probably be overkill for someone like me.

Thanks for the info....

I am new to the "Big Guns" of skin care. But I would imagine using 3 kinds of glycolics on the face at once would be too much! Smile
I am also using a lightening serum by Image and started using it at the same time as the cleanser. My friend at work is just using the Clarisonic and Aveda skin care and has seen an amazing reduction in the age spots on her neck. I wish we had taken some before and after pictures because her results are amazing!
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:56 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
Oh, lauryl sulfate, not laureth. Yes, I stand corrected then, lauryl sulfate can be quite irritating.

That's why I am surprised that the Cetaphil cleanser is called "gentle" Rolling Eyes

One of the best drugstore cleansers is Clean and Clear foaming facial cleanser for sensitive skin. This one contains Sodium laureth sulfate which is far more gentle than the cleansing agent in the Cetaphil cleanser.

It does not sting my eyes and cleans very effectively but since it produces foam, it might not be very good for a very dry skin.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
I like Cerave foaming cleanser. I use jojoba oil from Trader Joe's to remove my foundation and Neutrogena's oil free makeup remover for eye makeup. Then I use CeraVe with my Clarisonic to thoroughly clean.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
oasisjc wrote:

That's why I am surprised that the Cetaphil cleanser is called "gentle" Rolling Eyes

One of the best drugstore cleansers is Clean and Clear foaming facial cleanser for sensitive skin. This one contains Sodium laureth sulfate which is far more gentle than the cleansing agent in the Cetaphil cleanser.

It does not sting my eyes and cleans very effectively but since it produces foam, it might not be very good for a very dry skin.

Yeah I've used the Cetaphil cleanser before and it never irritated me one bit... no wonder I kept thinking it contained laureth sulfate.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
There is a percentage of the population that has an allergic response to SLS products - whether in toothpaste or soap or shampoos. (same as soap in that case).
I just avoid it. Not necessary to use it.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Skincare,

I wouldn't expect much of anything if you're hoping for CeraVe or Cetaphil to fully remove your makeup and clean your skin well. Neither make any claims about and are not marketed for makeup removal. My personal opinion is to use a separate makeup remover before hand so that the CeraVe or Cetaphil skin cleaner can better penetrate your skin.

I've been using CeraVe for over four years now and have yet to have a problem with it. When I use it, I gently massage it all over my wet face including on top of my eyes. I don't have extremely sensitive eyes though so if you do, don't do what I do haha. Different skin types require different methods/products. Wink
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Since CeraVe is sold on well.ca, I decided to get the lotion, not the cleanser for now.
jadkin
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:01 am      Reply with quote
I have heard good things about Cerave as an American cleanser simialr to Cetaphil. Having been on Accutane, and having sensitive skin normally, I have always used Cetaphil. It doesn't irritate my skin, but isn't a very effective cleanser for removing makeup, etc. I now use an amazing cloth from a company called ENJO. It has special fibres that clean everything off your face with just water! Good for my wallet, too Smile
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |