Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Extracting blackheads
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Are there any hazards with using a comedone extractor to take out blackheads on the nose? I've heard that it can be helpful to do it regularly so that your pores don't enlarge too much due to the blackheads, but at the same time, there's also a risk of scarring. Any opinions?

I'm referring to this in case people don't know:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/tweezerman-no-slip-skin-c-p_7668.htm
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:31 am      Reply with quote
I've used one for years. Do it after a warm shower and use a scrub first (if you have one). Use gentle pressure only and if it doesn't budge, leave it for another day and try again. You have to press quite hard to cause damage.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Have you noticed it causing more blackheads to show up?
cashmerelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:31 am      Reply with quote
you are not meant to pierce the skin with it, just apply gentle pressure. The trick is knowing when to give up. you will only cause scarring if you don't give up when they don't come out easily.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:30 am      Reply with quote
I've used an extractor tool and it surely help without damaging the skin.... picking it with your finger is not a good idea. But of course, you must make sure that you wash your face with warm water to start this process.

oasisjc wrote:
Are there any hazards with using a comedone extractor to take out blackheads on the nose? I've heard that it can be helpful to do it regularly so that your pores don't enlarge too much due to the blackheads, but at the same time, there's also a risk of scarring. Any opinions?

I'm referring to this in case people don't know:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/tweezerman-no-slip-skin-c-p_7668.htm
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:10 am      Reply with quote
Using it on other parts of the face other then the nose is so much easier and is much better then using fingers/nails when it comes to scarring. I don't like using it on the nose as the nose doesn't have much of a support (cartilage has more give than bone) when I press down real hard. Using a pore strip on the nose is much gentler in my opinion.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:41 am      Reply with quote
chloes wrote:
Using it on other parts of the face other then the nose is so much easier and is much better then using fingers/nails when it comes to scarring. I don't like using it on the nose as the nose doesn't have much of a support (cartilage has more give than bone) when I press down real hard. Using a pore strip on the nose is much gentler in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree. This thing is not at all gentle on the nose. I prefer to use products that make the blackheads easy to come out (Retin A, Finacea, KH Oxygen cream) and then use my fingers wrapped up in Kleenex.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:23 am      Reply with quote
For some reason, using a comedone extractor has helped my nose look a lot better. But I've only done it twice, so I'll come back and report if there's any further improvement (I hope so!)
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
You will find yourself needing to do it less and less as time goes on.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
I've used an extractor before, after noticing having lots of blackheads on my face, but it didn't work well for me Sad I think I lacked the patience and knowledge as to when or what to extract and how to extract it. Luckily I didn't scar my face but a few of my blackheads got inflammed. Aside from that, I do love extractions! Just as long as I'm not the one doing it! Extractions are the only thing that can prevent me from breaking out -- sad thing is, facials with extractions are too expensive for me Sad
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
What type of tool were you using?
syndi222
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="oasisjc"]What type of tool were you using?[/quote]

It's an extractor that's flat in the middle and then at the end of the flat 'stick' (the body) it has a hole... I'm not really good with the description :S. But it's not the loop kind. Just a flat piece of thing with a hole in the middle.
azwildcats7
5% products discount

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
I usually just use my finger nails to squeeze.
joti
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's a great idea to use the extractor once you've taken a shower. I find the blackhead's really pop out at that time and you don't have to squeeze to hard.

I would recommend doing on even a daily basis so blackhead don't accumulate.

Don't over do it because I do have some scarring but if your gentle you won't get any scarring

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
azwildcats7 wrote:
I usually just use my finger nails to squeeze.

I do this too with extra soft tissue, when I use my fingers without tissue wrapping tissue around them, I get scarring and or scratches.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
The one with the loop worked for me, the one with the tiny hole described above never did. Or I should say I never did figure out the trick to it.

5% products discount

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
I use the one from tweezerman and it's very popular. If you're getting more blackheads after extraction it's probably due to some other product or sebum production is excessive.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |