Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help with Sun Damage & Hyperpigmentation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Dan

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:11 am      Reply with quote
It is my first post and would firstly like to say hello to all members and congratulations on such a wonderful source of information. I have poured through all the pages of the diy section and am overwhelmed. I obviously cant go out and try all the recipes listed in the forum my budget doesnt allow it. (though on day i may eventually get there) so i was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. Firstly i am a complete beginner not only in the world of diy skincare but skincare period. i am a 33 old male who has been surfing since a very young age in the harsh australian sun. My skin is now in need of some nourishment. I dont have olive skin though i used to tan well though now i avoid this due to extensive damage on my arms and shoulders and face hyperpigmentation flaky dry red etc. Sorry for the novel, i was wondering which of those recipes (several is ok) will be beneficial to me. I have dry to normal severely sun damaged (only on arms shoulders and face) skin. i look forward to your responses and thankyou in advance.

Regards
Dan
havana8

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Dan, Welcome to the forum. wave There are lots of gifted DIYers here that will be able to help. Have you had a chance to see the DIY Recipe Index? That might help narrow things down a bit. Although I am not gifted in DIY, Smile I would think a C Serum might be a good place to start. I'm sure others will pop in with suggestions but I wanted to ask, is it only DIY that you are interested in? Or are you open to other suggestions along with DIY?
Dan

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the response havana, I have checked out the index and not being versed in skincare lingo i had some trouble narrowing down a list of possibles, though i am going to try out a few that i think may be of some use. the c serum was on top. apparently vitamin c has real benefits for my problem. In answer to your question i am open to any suggestions diy was just something that appealed to me because i know what is going into it. though i guess i can rely on yours and others expertise to point me in the right direction regarding products there ae just so many out there and i didnt want to lose a fortune on those that are either harmful or useless. thanks again and i look forward to any suggestions you may have.

regards
Daniel
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Not a DIY, but Skin Biology makes a nice Body Lotion with copper peptides in it that does a really good job at repairing sun damaged skin.

They do ship down under, too!

Read about CPs on this thread http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=37752

You can read a lot more about CPs on the Skin Bio website here: http://www.reverseskinaging.com/

CPs have really reversed some sun damage that I had. Vit C and retinoids (Retin A and its cousins) can also help.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:43 am      Reply with quote
hydroquinone 4% if you can get it (in some countries one cannot, in Canada it is OTC), work it up to twice a day, will help with the sun pigmentation. Then, exfoliate with a 10% glycolic acid (work your way up to it daily if you can) and finally apply a vitamin C or E or green tea serum for antioxidant properties. Use whatever moisturizer you like as you need for dry skin.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:21 am      Reply with quote
Hey Dan, I would definitely go for the vitamin C. I haven't tried DIY but the best serum I have used is C E Ferulic and it is a firm favourite of several posters on EDS (which speaks volumes Very Happy )I buy mine from Cosmetic Skin Solutions.

If you are looking to nourish dry skin you may like to try creating your own oil blend. I have dry skin and have experimented with quite a few oils: Argan, Squalane, Macadamia, Jojoba are all great. You find these all on EDS from the brand Russell Organics which are quite good value for money.

Hope that helps. P.s. to stop any further damage you should be using an spf daily too.
MentorAmy05
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum. There is a ton of valuable information here, as you have probably seen.

I think you would benefit from the Karin Herzog Oxygen line. I would say the KH Vita Kombi 2%. There are several good posts on EDS in regards to KH & their oxygen products.

I have used the above stated and the one I am currently using is the KH Apricot. It has the 2% oxygen also with other benefits, but I would definitely check their line out. I have seen great results thus far. I have used it about a year and a half and will not go a day without it Smile

Happy Hunting!

Dry - Combo Skin - added Retin A to my pm skincare regime on March 20, 2015---I have used Rosehip and coconut oil-daily-for over a year and this significally reduced my scarring and evened my skin tone
MentorAmy05
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:24 am      Reply with quote
My apologies, I answered to quickly....The product I recommended would be face.....not body Smile

Dry - Combo Skin - added Retin A to my pm skincare regime on March 20, 2015---I have used Rosehip and coconut oil-daily-for over a year and this significally reduced my scarring and evened my skin tone
Dan

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
thanks everyone i will check some of these products out. don't hesitate to keep the tips coming. Very Happy

cheers
Dan
jekki

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
The sure fire proven medication to get results for hyperpigmentation is a combination of Retin A and hydroquinone.

Any other products is just marketing. They might or might not work, so I wouldn't waste money on them. Usually things that have proven efficacy are prescription only and Retin A and 4% hydroquinone are those.

Vitamin C serums are only preventative along with sunscreen. But I'd recommend these too.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
There's also the natural option of kojic acid for hyperpigmentation. However, in cosmetics, it can be quite unstable so you want to be careful of that. Copper peptides are an option to stimulate collagen production, as well as AHAs and BHAs. But I agree with the others that a DIY C serum is a great place to start.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:43 am      Reply with quote
jekki wrote:
The sure fire proven medication to get results for hyperpigmentation is a combination of Retin A and hydroquinone.

Any other products is just marketing. They might or might not work, so I wouldn't waste money on them. Usually things that have proven efficacy are prescription only and Retin A and 4% hydroquinone are those.

Vitamin C serums are only preventative along with sunscreen. But I'd recommend these too.

Agree. Check in to Nu Derm. You can use that on the face or body. If possible, it would be a good idea to see a derm for a recommended treatment for your own skin type.

ETA: I do believe the C, E, Ferulic combo can improve pigmentation, at least it did for my skin. I don't DIY, but use Skinceuticals.
beautifulwonder
5% products discount

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi Dan,

I would definitely look into Vitamin C serums. I have used the PSF one (ordered off EDS) for about 3 months now and it's definitely 'brightened' up my skin, reduced any potential creasing that was coming on around my mouth/nose and also got rid of a fine line I have had for years under one eye. (Geez, I make it sound like I look so haggard at my age. I still get mistaken for being 10 years younger occasionally, and usually around 5 years younger than I am so I'm a baby face with bad skin.)

I would also look into Nia 24, and start doing mild peels like juice beauty green apple peel. My boyfriend asked me what I'd been doing to my skin tonight as he said it was looking really good Smile (I'm over the moon but I've got a long way to go before it's flawless)....and I've been using all of the above products since April so I'm inclined to think it's a combination of the above.

Try Emu oil if you have dry skin...I believe Australia sells his everywhere which is why I mentioned it (plenty of good reviews for emu oil around) or an Avene cream for very dry skin.

I'm not sure how bad your hyperpigmentation is...the above should help...I wouldn't bombard your skin with too many products as well just yet!!!

Whatever you do though, please don't forget the sunscreen and the regular mole/skin checks- every 6 months if you are showing severe signs of skin damage in your early 30s/have been out regularly in strong sun.

I wish you the best of luck with your quest to improve your skin!!!

Mid/late 20s...acne prone combination skin, slight pitted acne scarring on cheek, freckles, sun spots, severe dark circles, broken capillaries around my nose, blackheads on nose...yeah, I'm a skin mess.
paulspnao
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
Not a DIY, but Skin Biology makes a nice Body Lotion with copper peptides in it that does a really good job at repairing sun damaged skin. I think you would benefit from the Karin Herzog Oxygen line. I would say the KH Vita Kombi 2%. There are several good posts on EDS in regards to KH & their oxygen products. I have used the above stated and the one I am currently using is the KH Apricot. It has the 2% oxygen also with other benefits, but I would definitely check their line out. I have seen great results thus far. I have used it about a year and a half and will not go a day without it. Thanks for sharing…
Bermie2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:21 am      Reply with quote
I am in Australia too, so know how harsh our sun can be!

Sunscreen is top of the list for me, also Vit C and a retinol product. I really like Paula's Choice products, she has an Australian website. Her antioxidant serum and mositurisers and really nice, also reasonably priced.

There are so many products out there, sometimes it just means trying different things (one at a time!, so you know if your skin dislikes something inparticular) You need to repair, and protect!

5% products discount

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:33 am      Reply with quote
I use Copper Peel from Omorovicza for my issue with hyperpigmentation. I have used it 3 times now and so far I am happy with the results it's giving me.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:17 am      Reply with quote
When purchasing products for sun damage look for Vitamin A & E and Alpha Hydroxy Acids.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |