Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Hair "Softening"
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:23 am      Reply with quote
I know that others have written here about their successes with Global Keratin and Coppola products for straightening hair.

I need a product to "soften" my coarseness and frizz - I don't want to go completely straight or lose my natural wave or slight curl.

I see that Marcia Texeira (sp?) has come out with something called "Soft Chocolate" and other companies are coming out with formaldehyde free formulations.

I am thinking a product like this might help me - as I only want a minimal change.

Please do not suggest a flat iron or more frequent deep conditioners. I already deep condition and flat irons only provide a couple hours of change for me.

Thanks a bunch, bfg
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:24 am      Reply with quote
oh sorry - so my point was that I would appreciate any and all suggestions for my particular hair challenge!

Thanks again, bfg
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:47 am      Reply with quote
What has helped me was coconut oil
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:37 am      Reply with quote
I already use coconut oil, it's not working.

I need a chemical based formula, but I remain concerned about using the right formulation for my own hair.

bfg
Sono
5% products discount

Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
I used Garnier Fructis sleek and shine and it made my hair soft and took out the frizz. The instructions say to flat iron your hair after applying the heat activated serum if you want your hair to be straight or blow dry it only if you want to keep the wave. The results will last about 7 washes.
secretly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:00 am      Reply with quote
not sure if this will help but it helped my coarse dry hair feel really soft

Bamboo Silk Sleek Brilliance Cream

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2228633&productId=xlsImpprod3070017&navAction=push&navCount=1&categoryId=cat120024&utm_medium=email&utm_source=The+Zoe+Report&utm_campaign=87aab754cb-Paul_Mitchell_Turbolight_Dryer_Ad_10_Guide4_4_2011#details

I use a ton of conditioner and then this and Morocco oil.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:51 am      Reply with quote
Eliminate sulfates from your hair products and shampoos, you will definitely see a difference. Sounds like we have similar hair. Curly hair tends to need lots of oils and can't handle sulfates. Try different oil blends like camellia and wheat germ. Coconut didn't do much for me either.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Go get a Redken Chemistry treatment, make sure they use the "All Soft" shot. This is a beneficial chemical treatment that really alters hair structure. They will chelate your hair first and then add the shots to a base, and let it sit Finally, they will spray your hair to bring the Ph up to a level that seals the cuticle. At least this is how I understand it working. The results for me have always been strong, bouncy, shiny, soft hair.
I originally had this done when my hair was wrecked by hard water and minerals in Paris, and chelating shampoos are illegal to sell there, so I had to go to a salon to have the minerals taken out of my hair. They did the Soft treatment on my hair in addition, and it was nothing short of a miracle! It's inexpensive to do and you have nothing to lose. Just make sure some dimwit stylist doesn't hijack your intentions and give you some other treatment that they think is 'better' instead (this happened to me once!).

--avalange

http://for-the-love-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2009/01/redken-revamps-chemistry.html

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
In case it helps, I've heard that broccoli seed oil is starting to be used as a natural substitute for silicone in hair products.
Skyla
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
These all sound wonderful to me. Very Happy

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
This product looks promising for addressing frizziness etc.:

Crack Leave-In Hair Cream
http://www.folica.com/hair-care/hair-creams-lotions-and-glazes/crack-leave-in-hair-cream
http://prolocksusa.com/

Seems to have lots of great reviews and the before-and-afters in the video are crazy impressive IMO. Smile Anyone tried it?
joti
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:55 am      Reply with quote
i use the chi and use their spray that is suppose to protect from heat damage.

I have used the aveda deep conditioner i believe its called damage therapy.

i find it works really well.

what i do it apply the conditoner on my dry hair for half an hour then wash and condition my hair with regular conditoner and it makes my hair extrememly soft

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:12 am      Reply with quote
For me, wash-off conditioner works better than live-in serums/oils, some of which makes my hair dryer instead.
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
Eliminate sulfates from your hair products and shampoos, you will definitely see a difference. Sounds like we have similar hair. Curly hair tends to need lots of oils and can't handle sulfates. Try different oil blends like camellia and wheat germ. Coconut didn't do much for me either.

Totally agree with this, especially the sulfates issue!
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut oil helped me also. Love it. There are some great videos on You Tube that explain what it does.
Littleivychan

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried the Aphogee 2 step protein treatment? I love it for my coarse and frizz prone curls....

I get at sally's and it begins with the protein reconstructor. Kinda smells, I apply it to clean damp hair, and then sit under a bonnet dryer to allow it to 'cure.' The protein hardens when dry so be careful handling hair during this step.
Then, once dry, rinse hair gently and apply the conditioner that comes with it. (Which, IMHO, is only ok, I like to use a different deep condish suited for the mop Laughing )
After deep conditioning for about half hour, I rinse and air dry. The protein in the aphogee helps to smooth down my rough cuticles, and overall my curls are smoother and shinier. AND it doesn't ruin my curl/wave pattern. I only do this treatment every 3-6 months. I've heard that too many protein treatments can dry out my type of hair. Aphogee is also recommended for women who regularly color treat hair/heat style. I'm guessing the intensive protein fortifies each follicle.

Also, another good one is cassia powder. It's a total mess and is kinda labor intensive like the aphogee, but the results are also smoother, shinier hair. I prefer to do this once a month, but I have a sneaking suspicion the results from cassia work best for women who don't heat style hair. I rarely heat style my hair, so I love it.

HTH, not quite a full blown chemical process, but I think this falls into the vein of what you might be looking for?

26, fair and freckled, sensitive and beginning to finally make headway into a year long acne fight using 302, DIY carrier/EO blends + aloe, clays, teas, ezzi-peel spatula, and anxiously awaiting my 1 and 3 MHz probes and dermacyling 7 color LED plus microcurrent unit....
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:34 am      Reply with quote
If you want something to smooth the hair but keep it wavy,

Sebastian Color shine hair "glaze".
they make a clear treatment that the salon puts on your hair and you go under the dryer for 20 minutes I think.

I used to buy this at a salon that orders the product for me,but it is really supposed to be a salon only treatment.
I have wavy hair and it makes it look smooth when I use it,but still wavy.
I have not used this in 1+ year though,but will get around to buying it sometime.

http://www.sebastianprofessional.com/en_US/products/salon_services/index.jsp

I guess it is now called Sebastian Cellophanes,but same product. Now in a tube (used to be in a bottle).

http://www.amazon.com/Sebastian-Laminates-Cellophanes-Brunette-Coffee/dp/B00187Y4M4
-direct link to product
http://www.sebastianprofessional.com/en_US/products/salon_services/product.jsp?id=100060

you could use this every 2 weeks, it does not damage hair and has almost no smell from what i recall.

AMMONIA-FREE COLORIZING GLOSS TREATMENT

ammonia-free colorizing gloss
to shine, shade and dramatize
shapes. translucently illuminates
each strand.

divide damp hair into 4 sections
and apply the color from root to
tip, avoiding the scalp. cover
hair and heat 15-20 minutes.
let cool, rinse, shampoo and condition.

-I've used the clear and Golden brown shade and some of the reds and they are all nice.
blond will not reall show up on dark hair.
beauty mask
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:46 am      Reply with quote
coconut oil is good.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Oooh Sebastian cellophanes are great! It's been awhile since I've seen those stocked at my beauty supply and I promptly forgot all about them... Ugh, I suppose EDS may be holding the potential to get the economy on track if more women read this forum...

Well, off to buy some cello treatment. I have no self control when it comes to fun beauty finds....

26, fair and freckled, sensitive and beginning to finally make headway into a year long acne fight using 302, DIY carrier/EO blends + aloe, clays, teas, ezzi-peel spatula, and anxiously awaiting my 1 and 3 MHz probes and dermacyling 7 color LED plus microcurrent unit....
secretly
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:02 am      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
This product looks promising for addressing frizziness etc.:

Crack Leave-In Hair Cream
http://www.folica.com/hair-care/hair-creams- Anyone tried it?

yes I use this and love it, it's even better than Morocco Oil and Bamboo Brilliance cream, my fave so far.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I know that others have written here about their successes with Global Keratin and Coppola products for straightening hair.

I need a product to "soften" my coarseness and frizz - I don't want to go completely straight or lose my natural wave or slight curl.

I see that Marcia Texeira (sp?) has come out with something called "Soft Chocolate" and other companies are coming out with formaldehyde free formulations.

I am thinking a product like this might help me - as I only want a minimal change.

Please do not suggest a flat iron or more frequent deep conditioners. I already deep condition and flat irons only provide a couple hours of change for me.

Thanks a bunch, bfg

My understanding is any chemical treatment which changes the internal structure of the hair is damaging, it will not make your hair softer or less coarse. Most people use these treatments with a flat iron, higher temperatures can cause silicone deposits on your hair to permanently bond. This will give you a faux gloss whilst weakening the structure. Are you saying your hair is only wavy, but frizzy and uncontrollable? If so are you sure your hair is not curlier than you realise? There is a great thread on the Naturally Curly curltalk forum ('General discussion about curly hair' board) called "Post your before & after CG pics". This shows frizz is generally the result of curls being treated as if it was straight or wavy hair. Idea

CG is the book 'Curly Girl' by Lorraine Massey BTW. She advocates no sulphate shampoos, no silicone conditioners, no brushing, no terry towels ... all mistakes I was making. Product-wise I wash with Inecto coconut conditioner, leave-in condition/ style with Fructis Repair & Shine (Triple Nutrition in the US) and deep condition with Inecto with added coconut oil. Coconut oil will not penetrate if you have a build up of silicones on the hair.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
ava10
5% products discount

Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have a similar problem as OP but I find my Matrix Biolage Ultra-hydating shampoo and Ultra-hydrating conditioner make my hair very manageable. However, there is still a bit of frizz and I've been using Redken, and sometimes Biosilk, silicone serums Sad I don't want any chemical-restructuring treatments...just no frizz out of the shower! I also only wash my hair 1-2 times per week. It looks the best on days 3-5 after shampooing.

Firefox7275 wrote:
Are you saying your hair is only wavy, but frizzy and uncontrollable? If so are you sure your hair is not curlier than you realise?

I'm intrigued by this! I've always assumed my hair is classic wavy, but how can one know for sure? Is there any easy way to distinguish if your hair is wavy or curly? Sometimes my hair is wavier(curlier?) than other times...
CindiLou
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Ava10 - if you do a clarifying wash to get the silicones off your hair (presuming you use silicones) & then just do CO washings (silicone free conditioner only washings) you may find your hair is a lot curlier than you think. When i always used sulphate shampoos & silicone filled conditioners i always thought my hair was just naturally a bit wavy. I discovered at about the age of 38 that i'm actually very curly! Laughing

Back on topic - the thing that's helped my hair's softness most is coconut oil. I always dampen my hair first before adding a little coconut oil.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
I also found out I had very curly hair after a two decade long battle with it. I thought I had course, wavy hair, but now that I put the proper moisture and oil into it, I have lots of curls. I never use sulfates and I oil it daily.

5% products discount

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
CindiLou, thanks for the reply! I have read that clarifying shampoos are really harsh. However, would an ACV rinse be enough to remove the built up silicones? I have never used a clarifying shampoo so I am sure I must have buildup although I can't say that my hair is dull either. When I did a treatment with olive oil and honey, my hair was quite shiny without any serums in it. Also, if I stop using silicones, is there any need to ever use a clarifying shampoo again?

I just looked at my Biolage Utra-hydrating, and the shampoo has silicones, but not the conditioner Rolling Eyes

Ava with wings, can you clarify what you mean by oil it daily? Do you put oil on your scalp, your ends, both? Put oil on after or before washing? Also, do you need to wash out the oil daily? Since I only wash my hair 1-2 times per week, I don't think I could add oil every day.

Thanks for all the help!
AVA
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |