Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Murad?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jhbuddy
5% products discount

Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here, and have a question: Has anyone tried the Murad products? I am 48 years old, and STILL have breakouts (grrrrrrrrrr) usually on my chin, sometimes attributable to caffeine or citrus, always upsetting! Another problem is that for the first time in my life, I'm very dry (winter in the midwest?). I've been using Murad and have been pretty happy but I'm also a skin care "tart" and get bored easily. I must have tried a hundres skin care lines since my teens! Lately, I've used Kon-Ya (broke out), StriVectin (broke out), ProActive (worked for awhile, then stopped working), Esthederm (not great), MD Skincare (ditto), and now Murad.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
We're all tarts here. I can't stop trying new stuff!

Yonka made me break out too. I haven't tried the other lines you mention. The line I found worked well was Decleor...but the zits came back about a month ago when the weather got cold. I recently used a sample of Skinceuticals Daily Moisture that I liked enough to order a full size. It seemed to make my skin smooth and minimize my pores.

Dermalogica is usually a good one to try. A lot of people here love their products, but I seem to be the one person who had a bad reaction from their stuff.

I'm sure lots of others will recommend products as well. Are lines/wrinkles an issue too, or just the zits?
acnesucks
5% products discount

Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
I used Murad's once and it really messed up my skin. Be careful with that stuff!!!!!!!
Penelope
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
I've only used one Murad product - Hydrating Gel Mask then returned it because the fumes burned my eyes. Too strong.
jhbuddy
5% products discount

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
I don't really have any wrinkles yet (some smile lines are starting) which I guess is the benefit of oily skin (It's not oily anymore though!).

I'm just wondering if the Murad system is all it's cracked up to be -- it gets very expensive, especially with the supplements!

Thanks for your replies -- this is so great!
Hugs.
Mabsy

Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried a few and have really liked some. I like the pomegranate serum and also the pomegranate moisturiser. Their vit C moisturiser with SPF is also quite good. Oh, and I really like their AHA/BHA exfoliating cleanser (although it's more of a scrub).
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
I have to agree with Mabsy on the Murad. I have used their Vitamin C line and also their AHA/BHA Exfoliating Scrub and I liked them both a lot. My sister is trying the Murad Acne line for mature skin, and she is getting slow but consistant results. She was using Proactive, but it was drying out her skin something terrible!
But everybody's skin is different. If you want to try it, see if you can buy it from a store that has a good return policy in case you don't like it. Just remember it takes your skin a couple of weeks to adjust to new products, so you probably won't know how it is really going to work for you after just a few days of use.
Good luck!
Smile
jhbuddy
5% products discount

Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your input, everyone! I realize that I've committed a classic newbie error, and posted this question on the wrong forum -- sorry -- I'll repost on the Product Review Forum.

I'm still using the Murad, and liking it, but tweaking it a bit to try to get rid of the dryness.

Thanks again! Smile
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Actually this is the right forum. The product review is once you've tried something and want to tell everyone what you thought.

If you ever put a question in the wrong area an admin will move it...no need to post again!
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there,

I have had acne for a loooooooooong time, and here are my thoughts.

Proactiv -- used for 8 years -- really great at controlling acne but really dries out the skin. Wanted to switch to using it once or twice a week just to try to go towards more natural products.

Murad -- DRIED out my skin like you wouldn't believe. I went to the aesthetician for a facial and she thought I had literally burned myself with a match. The burnt area (chin and neck) were completely red and flaking off. I'm sure others have read this "horror" story of mine on other posts but it is the ONE reason I will never try Murad products again. It just didn't work for me for some reason. Too strong perhaps.

Yonka -- I LOVE THIS LINE -- BUT I ALSO BROKE OUT FOR 2 WEEKS when I used it. I used the Juvenil which explains why I broke out. This line is so pure and so cleansing that you are SUPPOSED to break out when you first start using it. I also broke out like crazy when I first started using Proactiv. WITH ANY ACNE REGIMEN, you should break out before you get better because the products need to CLEANSE your skin and then help you control future breakouts. I adore the Yonka line -- it is pure and very light. My staple products are Yonka Gel Nettoyant, Juvenil, Lotion (for oily skin), Mask (for oily skin).

Phytomer is another great line with great anti-acne products. Comedogel and Acnigel are woooooooooooonderful. I would still use Juvenil over Comedogel but I like Acnigel over any of the Yonka Cremes (15 and PG).

Rodan and Fields CALM line -- REALLY pricey for the small product sizes but it really worked -- buuuuuuuuuut it dries you out, too, because it contains sulphur. So I also use this like once a week (which probably doesn't do anything but WASTE the product since I'm not on a routine with it) but it's a good line -- they're the same makers of Proactiv. It's expensive . . . not sure if it's all that different from Proactiv but I stopped using it just due to the pricey-ness.

Hope this helps,
Lisa
jhbuddy
5% products discount

Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Lisa.

Since my last post on this topic, I've tweaked my Murad routine (with the help of the people at their 800 number, and Dr. Murad's book). I'm really loving it now. I've switched to Perfecting Day Cream (SPF 30) and Perfecting Night Cream form the equivalent products in the Acne line, and my dryness is gone.

I think my breakout was due to a foundation base/primer I was using (Laura Mercier) -- the store where I purchased it confirmed that its richness can cause breakouts for some people. The chin zits are going away now that I've stopped using that product (which I miss, actually -- it made my foundation/tinted moisturizer go on so smoothly and stay put all day).

I'm going to stick with Murad for awhile (although I'm VERY tempted by the Rosa y Fruta line from what I've read here!) 'Very Happy'

Cheers!

-Julie
kizzy

Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:09 am      Reply with quote
jhbuddy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here, and have a question: Has anyone tried the Murad products? I am 48 years old, and STILL have breakouts (grrrrrrrrrr) usually on my chin, sometimes attributable to caffeine or citrus, always upsetting! Another problem is that for the first time in my life, I'm very dry (winter in the midwest?). I've been using Murad and have been pretty happy but I'm also a skin care "tart" and get bored easily. I must have tried a hundres skin care lines since my teens! Lately, I've used Kon-Ya (broke out), StriVectin (broke out), ProActive (worked for awhile, then stopped working), Esthederm (not great), MD Skincare (ditto), and now Murad.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Quote:

hi jh buddy

since you are using Murad products ( have previously researched these products ) i do know that they are quite good for the mature skin cos of the anti-ageing ingredients - expensive though! have you heard about Dr. N V Perricone products?? (very expensive also) very similar to Murad re; Vit C Ester etc (Murad and Perricone were both dermatologists before they created their own skin care range).

Dermalogica is also a good one to try so i have heard - although i only use their total eye care cream and i noticed a big difference overnight re: fine lines

if you are finding your skin much drier than ever before ....maybe its because of the caffeine (deyhdrating for skin) or you may have to go for something richer (as we age our skin loses a lot of its natural oils and collagen/elasticity)

i have read a lot of good write ups about Neals Yard Frackincence nourishing cream for the mature skin and its not that expensive
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Like Mabsy, I have tried pomegranate serum and pomegranate moisturiser. I liked both of those.

pomegranate foam wash seemed to leave both my (delicate) and hubby's (normal) skin too tight after use (but the container was convenient).

I also tried a 30g sample tube of the Vit. C cleanser recently and that was quite nice. No dry feeling, even with morning use.

The one sunscreen I tried was REVOLTING as the scent of black pepper was so strong (I cannot remember which one - thank goodness I tried before I bought).

Am trying out the Vit C. intensive home mask set now - which reminds me I need to review. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |