Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Making my first DIY Vit C - sorry for newbie questions here!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Amyalex
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so sorry to ask and have been reading and reading and have a recipe from Kassy. I was going to order from Lotioncrafter (unless you have better suggestions) -

is 1 oz of Vitamin C enough to last me awhile? Or should I order more than an ounce?
Also - couldn't find "THDA" on Lotioncrafters site.

Also - if Skinceuticals CEFerulic made me break out (but the Phloretin & regular 15% didn't), should I not put the Vit E or the Ferulic in my DIY? An aesthetician said she thought it was the Vit E that was the culprit, but I thought that seemed odd...

15% Vitamin C Serum, 1oz

1 teaspoon L-Ascorbic Acid
3 teaspoons Distilled Water
1 teaspoon SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
1 teaspoon Remergent DNA cream (You 302 girls, can substitute with your THDA product!)
1/2 vial Ferulic Acid
1/2 capsule of MSM supplement (be sure it's one with NO fillers!)

THANKS so much! I really appreciate it and sorry for such 'newbie' questions. I'm excited but nervous. I hope it works and I can save some $$ as I now have to take care of both of my aging parents (divorced). Best!
6 drops of Vitamin E oil
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Assuming you want a 15% concentration, 1 oz of LAA will make you approximately 6.6 oz of serum. No, don't get more than that unless you are planning lots of experiments. Razz

Here's THDA on Lotioncrafter: http://www.lotioncrafter.com/tetrahexyldecyl-ascorbate-BV-OSC.html

There certainly are some ladies who have had problems with the Vit E in a Vit C serum. You'll just have to try and see what works better for yourself. DIY is great in that you can choose exactly what you like to go in the mix. Very Happy

Just some opinions on your recipe. The LAA is water soluble. THDA (or your cream) is oil soluble. That means you'll have to mix separately - LAA in distilled water and THDA in oil. Then you have to use an emulsifier (eg polysorbate 80) so that the water and oil can mix together.

Also, I wouldn't use MSM and LAA together. Both are prone to going off (oxidation), and when put together makes the end product extra extra prone to going off. So that makes for an extremely short shelf life. MSM and MAP would be a better idea.

Good luck and have fun! Very Happy
Amyalex
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Oh no, this seems more difficult than I thought! Smile

Maybe I can just do a water based serum??? The THDA is pretty expensive for this novice.. Is there a simpler recipe/way?

Do I really need the Sea Kelp Bioferment?

Now I'm having a hard time keeping track of what I need to order and from where. LOL!

You all are so impressive and make it seem so easy I thought I could give it a shot, but may just drink the vodka instead (oops - I swear I read vodka in a recipe!) Embarassed
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:03 am      Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwnMxRL7J5w&feature=player_detailpage
This makes it really easy.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |