Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Tretinoin and Proactiv
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
erica1981
5% products discount

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
Sorry if this question is repetitive but I need advice. I have been using the Extra strength Proactiv for acne twice a day for a couple of yrs and I recently purchased the Tretinoin .025 gel. I am 30 yrs old and want to heal my acne and benefit from the anti-aging properties and eliminating sunspots and post acne marks on my face. What is the best Routine for Day/Night with these products. I have been using the Proactiv cleanser (7% BP)followed by the tretinoin after 1/2 hr, then a skin lightening product by proactiv with Vitamins a,c,e (2% hydroquinone) after another 1/2 hr. Then the Proactiv cleanser in the morning with the salicylic acid toner and Repairing lotion..followed by sunscreen. I have done a lot of research but am confused about whether I should use an antioxidant or if I should stop the Proactiv and use a Cetaphil cleanser...if I should use a toner..exfoliant..etc. HELP!!!
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
I have a feeling that something as strong as proactiv won't work too well with tretinoin, which is also a very "strong" ingredient. A lot of the members at acne.org all condemn tretinoin because it worsened their acne, but I think they're blaming the wrong thing. I feel that their acne regimens are very sensitizing, so adding tretinoin can further sensitize the skin leading to more breakouts. I suggest you carefully watch your skin and make sure you're not making anything worse. As well, do not apply benzoyl peroxide with tretinoin. If you do this, the tretinoin can be deactivated
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
erica1981

I have to agree with oasisjc, the products you are using are very strong and can be very irritating. It's important not to be too aggressive with the products application and the amounts being used. I would consider stopping the extra strength proactiv twice a day if you want to start using tretinoin. Just remember tretinoin will make your skin look worst before it will start to look better. The HQ2% will help to fade pigmentation scars, it will take a few months before you see results, but it will help. I hope everything works out for you in this new approach
windyclouds

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
I would stop the Proactiv immediately. I have seen dozens of dermatologists in my time as I have very fair, melanoma prone skin. I was also kind of annoyingly obsessed with skin care at a rather young age. Not a single derm has ever recoommended anything even remotely close to Proactiv. Most of my derms have advised to use a glycolic cleanser twice a day such as M.D. Forte (which I religiously use and have used for years) or NeoStrata and something like Retin-A or Differin at night. My personal opinion of Proactiv is that it's utter crap. You're better off spending $3 a tube on Retin-A from ADC or another online pharmacy. Fair warning - your skin may get worse before it gets better with Retin-A but all derms will tell you the same thing. You just have to hang in there. Also, I think that long term use of Proactiv is very, very damaging for your skin. While it may seem like Retin-A is damaging your skin, it is really tremendously beneficial to your skin long term.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
I have a feeling that something as strong as proactiv won't work too well with tretinoin, which is also a very "strong" ingredient. A lot of the members at acne.org all condemn tretinoin because it worsened their acne, but I think they're blaming the wrong thing. I feel that their acne regimens are very sensitizing, so adding tretinoin can further sensitize the skin leading to more breakouts. I suggest you carefully watch your skin and make sure you're not making anything worse. As well, do not apply benzoyl peroxide with tretinoin. If you do this, the tretinoin can be deactivated

Hit the nail on the head, when certain products dont work for individuals with acne prone skin types they tend to add so many other products that it actually sensitizes there skin, leading to even more inflammation, which leads to further breakouts, and also could accelerate the skins aging process. You are also reconditioning the skin to constantly be dry, and dry skin heals allot slower.
cashmerelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:02 am      Reply with quote
When I was using tretinoin, I would stay away from both benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. Both are drying, and salicylic acid is also an exfoliant, you don't need that when you are using a strong exfoliant such as tretinoin. Just use the tretinoin and up the concentration until you get good results. As far as antioxidants, you can use one but separate it from the tretinoin as low ph inactivates it (and vit C has low ph).
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:26 am      Reply with quote
You should also check out skinacea.com because it has a very informative section on retinoids for beginners. You can search up Paula Begoun's article on retinoids too for an even simpler version
erica1981
5% products discount

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the advice. If I do end up stopping the Proactiv, what would be recommended as a day/night routine? What types of cleanser, toner, and moisturizer will work best to clear up my acne? My skin is pretty oily and so far I haven't had any peeling or irritation with the tretinoin..(i have been using it every other night but may start doing every night unless i have a bad reaction)
I have read that the Salycylic acid SHOULD be used to exfoliate the skin in the morning and that Tretinoin is not actually an exfoliant..but builds up the collagen and produces new skin cells.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:44 am      Reply with quote
erica1981 wrote:
Thank you so much for the advice. If I do end up stopping the Proactiv, what would be recommended as a day/night routine? What types of cleanser, toner, and moisturizer will work best to clear up my acne? My skin is pretty oily and so far I haven't had any peeling or irritation with the tretinoin..(i have been using it every other night but may start doing every night unless i have a bad reaction)
I have read that the Salycylic acid SHOULD be used to exfoliate the skin in the morning and that Tretinoin is not actually an exfoliant..but builds up the collagen and produces new skin cells.

I can't really say what new brand to use, but I currently use Paula's Choice and like it. I don't know how effective it will be for your acne though, because everyone is different. And yes, BHA's should be used to exfoliate the skin, but again, don't do it too often and listen to your skin.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
I use tazorac and use BHA & BP in the morning without issues. However since you are just starting out you will probably gets lots of irritation so you may not be able to tolerate it all. Definitely find a gentler cleanser.
erica1981
5% products discount

Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
windyclouds wrote:
I would stop the Proactiv immediately. I have seen dozens of dermatologists in my time as I have very fair, melanoma prone skin. I was also kind of annoyingly obsessed with skin care at a rather young age. Not a single derm has ever recoommended anything even remotely close to Proactiv. Most of my derms have advised to use a glycolic cleanser twice a day such as M.D. Forte (which I religiously use and have used for years) or NeoStrata and something like Retin-A or Differin at night. My personal opinion of Proactiv is that it's utter crap. You're better off spending $3 a tube on Retin-A from ADC or another online pharmacy. Fair warning - your skin may get worse before it gets better with Retin-A but all derms will tell you the same thing. You just have to hang in there. Also, I think that long term use of Proactiv is very, very damaging for your skin. While it may seem like Retin-A is damaging your skin, it is really tremendously beneficial to your skin long term.
Why do you think the Proactiv is so bad? I was thinking after hearing some of the advice that I would just use the Proactiv in the AM and a gentle cleanser with the Retin A pm....and possibly the Proactiv on the nights I dont use Retin A. Would this be bad?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
erica1981 wrote:
Why do you think the Proactiv is so bad? I was thinking after hearing some of the advice that I would just use the Proactiv in the AM and a gentle cleanser with the Retin A pm....and possibly the Proactiv on the nights I dont use Retin A. Would this be bad?

IMO that would be fine if your skin can handle it. Do start off slow with the retin-a, starting everything other night at most. Keeping in mind it can take a few weeks sometimes for irritation to really kick in. Proactive is basically AHA and BP, nothing wrong with those ingredients.
leamarie

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Is it true that the using of Proactiv is for lifetime?? I've read a various feedback's that although the proactiv is very good to remove acne and having a good skin again, after you've decided to stop it, the acne will back again.. Is is true??
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 am      Reply with quote
leamarie wrote:
Is it true that the using of Proactiv is for lifetime?? I've read a various feedback's that although the proactiv is very good to remove acne and having a good skin again, after you've decided to stop it, the acne will back again.. Is is true??

It's true for some people and not for others. It depends if you "grow" out of acne. However, you shouldn't be feared of using a certain skincare product for the rest of your life. I mean, the reason you'd do that is because it's working, isn't it? I doubt you'd stop once you get your skin at your desired condition because you know just how well it works - call it maintenance, I guess. Having said that, Proactiv isn't exactly the ideal choice for acne or any skin type for that matter.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:33 am      Reply with quote
leamarie wrote:

Just like any product that works for you, you would want to keep using it to keep your good results. Acne usually isn't something that you treat 1 time and then its gone.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |