Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How long do you try a new skincare product ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
katya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:18 am      Reply with quote
I would like to have everyone point of view on this.
When you start a new skincare routine, how long do you keep on trying it before your switch to something else. I ask that question because I have oily skin with blemishes and everytime I try a new routine its alway really great for a couple of weeks and the Boom ! Zits atack !!! Always around 1 month of utilisation.
Is it normal ? Does it mean that the product is not good for my skin or is it because it clean the inside out ?
I switch skincare brand every 2-3 months because of that situation and at the end its a lot of $$$ ...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:38 am      Reply with quote
I give it well over 3 months if it is a non medical brand.
Jaz071

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
I have oily skin with blemishes too. I am the type of person who likes to see fast results so if I don't see any sort of changes in my skin within 2-3 weeks I will look for something else. If I start to break out from a product I usually give it a week and if the breakout continues I stop using it. Maybe I should wait longer but in my opinion if a product is gonna work it will work right away. Smile
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:44 am      Reply with quote
I would go back to very basic products and then add in new product, 1 at a time, slowly. If you keep changing you don't if a product is causing a breakout or if you just happen to be getting a breakout.
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:13 am      Reply with quote
How long do I give something before I decide whether or not it has done what it claimed to do or not?

This is one of those questions to which there is no right or wrong answer, but nonetheless here is my opinion on the subject;

If I can’t detect a noticeable benefit in 1-4 weeks, I think I am justified in deciding that the product's promise will not be fulfilled. (or at the very least, that the product isn't right for me)

Now it is certainly the case that if you want to prove that something works in a clinical trial, it will take a lot longer to do it. Clinical trials on pharmaceutical actives for conditions like acne sometimes run for six months. And there are good reasons why this should be the case. If you use a product for a week and it works that does not prove anything scientifically. Scientists want to generate enough data to carry out a statistical analysis to give themselves confidence that any observations are significant.

But as consumer's we don’t have to prove anything to anyone else, but we do have to prove it to ourselves. If something is going to take multiple months before you notice an improvement, the effect is probably going to be pretty small. I really think this applies across most product types. A moisturiser should moisturise your skin noticeably within a week. An antiwrinkle cream should be reducing your wrinkles within 2-4 weeks. If it doesn't do anything you can notice in that time, multiplying that effect by twelve is still a very small effect. You should be paying for something that you can see "reasonably" quickly - IMO

When trying a new regimen, it has to take at least a week to see any meaningful results, even with the best products. When we talk about facial rejuvenation and a brighter, more even colored, lustrous skin, it really has to take two, three or even four weeks. If you are not patient you are going to be disappointed. There are a lot of very good products out there but there are no miracle products out there.

So be patient, use the products regularly and give them a couple of weeks to avoid frustration and to have nicer skin. I just wouldn't recommend using a product beyond 2-4 weeks if you are seeing no benefits.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
there is two ways to look at beauty products

1. IMMEDIATE GRATIfICATION (products that superficially plump and make the skin look great..most mainstream cosmetic companies work hard at this because most of us want to look good like yesterday!)

2. LONG TERM RESULTS (which means no immediate gratification and many times looking worse before you look better..but you get actual younger skin..ie: retin a cp's some laser treatments that take six months to build new collagen)

Also..all of this depends = ON YOUR AGE (the older the longer it takes your skin to change 6 months to a year)

My experience? The most overwhelming and improved changes in my skin came after looking worse using obaji...cp's...laser treatments and peels. But the results were dramatic. Many people break out or their skin purges before it gets better..and many jump ship at that point because it is hard to go around looking worse! I understand. It is all a personal choice.
for immediate results..do your botox..and injectables. but to change that skin to younger? long term suffering is in order. haha
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
My main issue when introducing new products is whether or not they will clog up my pores, even if they state that they are non-comedogenic, they can still clog me up and make my pores look congested/create blackheads, I also worry about sensitivity to product/allergic reactions which I have so far been lucky with.

I will usually know within 1-2 weeks as some products take longer than others to reveal its true affects. I can purge a bit when using some new products, but this is never anything serious and I can usually differentiate between that and the hormonal acne.

Once I've gotten over that hurdle, I'll be monitoring whether or not the product is doing 1) what I expect it to do and 2) what the product claims it will do (some products are great for things that they are not necessarily intended for). How long I am willing to persevere depends on how quickly I see results, I too believe that if a product is going to work for me, then I should see at least some improvements within the first couple of weeks and I expect to see more with prolonged use.

As long as there is nothing bad happening while using it, I would look at 3-6 months for a serious trial.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah...battling breakouts is an issue I am sympathetic too..but have never gone through. How frustrating! I guess it takes trial and error..which does mean investing $$$. Maybe some of the girls who've had acne issues will chime in and give you some ideas on products that have worked for them.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
hotdocgirl wrote:
Yeah...battling breakouts is an issue I am sympathetic too..but have never gone through. How frustrating! I guess it takes trial and error..which does mean investing $$$. Maybe some of the girls who've had acne issues will chime in and give you some ideas on products that have worked for them.

Forgot to mention, I too have oily, acne prone skin. I was battling active acne (moderate), acne scarring (PIH, a couple of box scars and a couple of ice pick scars), dark circles under eyes, blackheads (chin and cheeks) and visible/congested pores.

I've been using obagi for a few months and have seen great improvements, although I have managed to fade most of the old scars, I seem to have acquired a few new ones from the active acne but despite this, I can honestly say that there is a huge improvement overall and my skin hasn't looked this good for about 10 years! I guess I can say I'm on maintenance now, so apart from the exfoderm forte (AHA) I don't use obagi products everyday.

I am also big on using natural/organic products so I've slowly started introducing REN products into my regimen (AM clear calm 3 cleanser, PM Mayblossom cleanser) and have had no problems with them so far. I've bought their glycolactic mask, AHA serum, clear calm 3 moisterizer and their pore minimising mask but I haven't started using them yet as I'm introducing them slowly one at a time every 3-4 weeks HTH
SecretB5StopsAcne
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
If my skin reacts badly to new skincare, I actually put it away and try it again in about a month. If it does it again, it's out. Also, only one new thing at a time, otherwise I can't tell which is the culprit.
syndi222
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:05 am      Reply with quote
On average, a month for me, but if the product gives my skin a bad reaction (aside from the products that are known and are supposed to give you an initial reaction) then I will stop after using it once. I might be tempted to try that product again later on though. But generally, for me, a month it is.
Camille00
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use much product, so it last me a long time, I think I swith every 6 months!

If I relly don't like it maybe 2 months.
joti
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:30 am      Reply with quote
average skin cycle is 40 cycle so you should try to try it from 1-3 cycles to see the full benefits of the product

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:41 am      Reply with quote
If I don't have any adverse reactions: breaking out, rash, burning, reddening, then I will give a new product three months or even more. I get very suspicious of advertising techniques that promise results in a week, and if it promises immediate results, then that probably means it has an ingredient that will somehow pull the skin taut, but keep in mind, if anyone pulls on their skin ( it will look good), but what happens when you release it?----they are the products I don't touch.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:04 am      Reply with quote
I like trying out new products and there's just too many of them. Hence, I use each product for around a week or two before moving on. Cleansing your face throughly each day also helps to keep products from building up and clogging pores.
tinali0202
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
at least 3 months to finish up a bottle of the product, and see whether it is helps on the skin...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:45 am      Reply with quote
Skyla wrote:
If I don't have any adverse reactions: breaking out, rash, burning, reddening, then I will give a new product three months or even more. I get very suspicious of advertising techniques that promise results in a week, and if it promises immediate results, then that probably means it has an ingredient that will somehow pull the skin taut, but keep in mind, if anyone pulls on their skin ( it will look good), but what happens when you release it?----they are the products I don't touch.

I agree. I also am suspicious of quick results claims (from both manufacturers and personal "reviews"). I think if a person has that fast of a reaction to a product, it is just a temporary fix. Nothing wrong with that at all, as sometimes a temporary fix is what is needed. However, in my mind, that is all the quick results products are - a temporary fix.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |