Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How to make your eyes look bigger
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
papagena
5% products discount

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:28 am      Reply with quote
I wear glasses, I have -6.50 on both sides to my glasses tend to make my eyes look smaller. On top of that, I've got rather deep-set eyes with not too much space between the eyelid and the brow area. My glasses are red (something like tomato red), so not exactly the most neutral kind Wink .

I read putting white eyeliner on the waterline helps to make the eyes look bigger. I'm still looking for other suggestions that could work with my style of glasses, though.
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
People who wear glasses because they are near-sighted ( I am assuming you are near-sighted because you feel your eyes look smaller than you would like) should pay more attention to their eyes when they are applying eye make up for their eyes appear smaller behind the glasses.

1-Groom your eyebrows. The same way a picture frame affects the way the picture looks, your eyebrows affect the way your eyes look. The simple act of removing stray hairs can make your eyes more noticeable. However, don't make the mistake of assuming that the thinner your eyebrows, the bigger your eyes will look.

2-Reduce any puffiness in your eyes. Swelling in the skin on and around your eyes can make them look smaller

3-Don't apply eyeliner all the way around your eyes. Doing so (e.g. the smoky eye look) will make your eyes look smaller. That's not necessarily a bad thing... small eyes can look mysterious and dramatic, but presumably, that's not the effect that you want. When you apply eyeliner on your lower lashes, do it just below the lash line, not inside the rim, and don't let the line come all the way to the inner corner of your eye. You might also want to line your wetline with white or other light color. It makes eyes look noticeably bigger, but overdoing it will look silly!

4-Extend eyeliner past the outer corners of your eyes. The line should move upwards a little as well, mimicking a very long eyelash. This will make your eyes look wider, but is a tricky technique. If the eyeliner isn't applied symmetrically, it can make your eyes look lopsided!

5-Add white eyeshadow or eyeliner to the inner corner of your eyes. This brings more light into them and gives the effect of them being larger. Make sure it is not an incredibly harsh white.

Note the style and color of your frames—the more colorful, funky, and thick they are, the less makeup you will want to use.

5% products discount

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for your reply!

(Yes, I am near sighted, alas!)

I will definitely try all things you said. The grooming the brows part certainly is true. I prefer to let an esthetician do this rather than trying it at home, but once every few weeks should do the trick.

I bought a white eyeliner, not really white but rather something like cream. I hope it helps!

I do use a lot of makeup, but all in natural colors, so it doesn't seem that way. I prefer mineral eyeshadow: the colors seem softer and more natural to me.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
I started using dark brown eye shadow as eyeliner amongst my upper lashes. Sometimes I use a thin line of black liquid covered by dark shadow. On the lid I use flesh toned shadow because my lids are deep set. This makes them more noticeable behind my thick glasses and looks kind of retro Sixties, which I happen to like.
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Have you worn, or thought about wearing contacts? I'm very nearsighted as well, and have worn contacts for 44 years. Of course I have my glasses to use when I need to. I also hate the way it makes my eyes look so small when I have my glasses on, not to mention my vision is better with contacts.

I've also considered the Lasik surgery many times over the years, but couldn't work up enough courage. That plus the cost of it.
artjen

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Good ideas! I also am near-sighted although wear contacts most days. I have wondered about eye makeup on days when I might wear my classes. Thanks for sharing!
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Gayle wrote:

I've also considered the Lasik surgery many times over the years, but couldn't work up enough courage. That plus the cost of it.

If your doctor says you have early symptoms of cataracts the insurance company will pay for lens replacement. They use variable focus lenses now, I believe.
papagena
5% products discount

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Gayle: yes, I do have contacts, but unfortunately I also have very dry eyes (to the extend that I already have what they call "neovascularization" at the edges of my cornea = already some damage due to dryness) so I cannot wear them all the time. For the same reason I am not eligible for surgery (and also because your eyes have to be stable for at least 2 years, which mine are not).

So I make the best of it using my glasses Wink .
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
papagena wrote:
Gayle: yes, I do have contacts, but unfortunately I also have very dry eyes .

Try Restasis and/or have your tear ducts sealed.
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
Gayle wrote:

If your doctor says you have early symptoms of cataracts the insurance company will pay for lens replacement. They use variable focus lenses now, I believe.

Funny you should mention that! I was in for my yearly check last year & was complaining about glasses & contacts & how sick I was of wearing them. He said, "well wait a year or so & your cataracts will be ready to remove & your vision should be great afterwards, with maybe only reading glasses necessary'. I had no idea I even HAD cataracts! But I was never so glad to hear something in my life! I can't wait!
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
papagena wrote:
Gayle: yes, I do have contacts, but unfortunately I also have very dry eyes (to the extend that I already have what they call "neovascularization" at the edges of my cornea = already some damage due to dryness) so I cannot wear them all the time. For the same reason I am not eligible for surgery (and also because your eyes have to be stable for at least 2 years, which mine are not).

So I make the best of it using my glasses Wink .

I totally sympathize with you on the dry eyes. I've had that sooo much over the years. Mine is worse some times than others. I tried the Restasis for about 6 months & it didn't work for me. Crying or Very sad
papagena
5% products discount

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Restasis? I will have to use Google for that Wink .

I heard about sealing the tear ducts (I'm an MD myself), but it seems rather drastic to me, it's not really widely performed here in Belgium (so no experienced ophtalmologists) and from what I read on the Internet many people experience problems with having ... too many tears afterwards - so that's going from one end of the spectrum to the other.

I quite like my glasses though - would prefer to be able to go without them, but they suit my face and colour type. I just need to make the most of my makeup.
leamarie

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Wearing eye glasses can looks your eyes bigger. But i remember in a fashion program, they said that the eyeliner also helps even though you've put only a moderate line, they said it's enough.
MentorAmy05
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:17 am      Reply with quote
White eyeliner on upper lid corners help....I have big eyes, but I still apply it... Smile

Dry - Combo Skin - added Retin A to my pm skincare regime on March 20, 2015---I have used Rosehip and coconut oil-daily-for over a year and this significally reduced my scarring and evened my skin tone
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
papagena wrote:

I heard about sealing the tear ducts (I'm an MD myself), but it seems rather drastic to me, it's not really widely performed here in Belgium (so no experienced ophtalmologists) and from what I read on the Internet many people experience problems with having ... too many tears afterwards - so that's going from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Not drastic at all. Just do the bottom ducts. If you do both upper and lower you will probably get overflow. There are three ways of doing it and doctors usually start with the easiest first -- silicone plugs. They usually fall out eventually but you will know if doing the lowers is enough for you. If so, then the ducts are lasered shut. It can be done while you sit in the chair like when you have your eyes examined. Final way is permanent -- surgically sealed and it's out patient surgery.

We pay over $100 for one month of Restasis. The US seems to subsidize everyone else in the world, who gets pharmaceuticals cheaper. That's why I order from Canada for at least a third less.
papagena
5% products discount

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting to know! I sent a mail to the company to ask if they sell Restasis in Belgium. If not, I might try ordering it online. Next time I visit my ophtalmologist I'll ask about the silicone plugs. I think a lot of procedures that are well known in the US sound kind of exotic over here Wink .
joti
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I myself love to apply eyeliner on the water line. Although i prefer black I feel like it brings out my eye colour more.

I am a contact wearer and my optomatrist told me that I should stop applying eyeliner on my water line or it will dry out my eyes.

If you have a problem with your eyes being dry maybe you should try not applying the eyeliner on the waterline and see if it makes a difference.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |