Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin type-thin and sensitive-what works 4 products/gadgets?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have been reading EDS posts for a looong time and recently contributing. What I have noticed is that people's success with different products and gadgets seems to depend on a lot of things, but most of all maybe different skin types. What would be super helpful is if we knew what worked for people with similar skin types. I don't really know how to classify according to the Fitzpatrick system, so I will just describe my skin:

I am 32 and have fair skin that tans easily. Dark brown hair, hazel eyes. My skin tends to be thinnner, sensitive with rosacea-like tendencies (flushing and such). My skin is highly reactive and will get contact dermatitis in spots with aggressive treatments. I also cannot use many sunscreens, especially chemical ones-- pores will get inflammed when I use it.

My areas of concern are dark circles and general eye area skin health and the beginning of nasolabial lines/folds (probably due to some loss of tone in cheek area). Anti-aging prevention and some level of correction would be great!

What I am wondering is if anyone with similar skin has some advice on what things to try?

I am starting facial exercises (but wondering if they are appropriate for my skin type) and would like to try copper peptides but wondering the same thing. Also, what about microcurrent, cupping or LED? Too aggressive for this type of skin? or have some of you had great success?

I have tried microdermabrasion and retin A (briefly) and not been happy with either one. I was also talked into fillers in the last year for those NL lines and had a bad reaction-- one I hope to recover from here in the next few months.

Any advice or experience sharing would be great! I am open to anything- diet, products or gadgets. Very Happy

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
I would recommend a good antioxidant serum with green tea in am and a retinol-based product in pm to stimulate collagen production.

LED can be helpful for your type of skin. You can pre-treat your skin with a green tea water-based serum or GHK serum.

Since your skin is hyper-reactive I would not use any AHA/BHA creams and avoid chemical sunscreens. Vit C in high concentration can also sting your skin. I would also stay away from cupping.

As far as the facial exercises go, IMHO, they make skin look worse.
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, russiansunshine for your feedback Smile do you have a product rec for either the antioxident serum or retinol product?

As far as facial exercises go, did you try them personally?

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:06 am      Reply with quote
I second the green-tea antioxidant. A brand I've used and liked is Topix Replenix Serum (great for oily skin). There are versions with (CF) and without caffeine.

For retinol, a classic drugstore product that I used for a year is Neutrogena Healthy skin anti-wrinkle night cream (original formula, not the SPF version).

If you have trouble with sunscreens, an option is to use a supplement like Sunpill or Heliocare and broad-brimmed hats or parasols. Adding tomato paste, eggs, and pistachios to your diet will help your skin protect itself against the sun, and things like dark dark chocolate and blueberries pack a powerful antioxidant punch. Avoiding sugar is always good, because it breaks down collagen.

And of course a concealer that contains titanium dioxide or zinc oxide will help with those dark circles, as will big sunglasses. Cool Specific rec: dermalogica total eye care SPF 15, but many concealers with no SPF rating have TD high on the ingredient list.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:23 am      Reply with quote
jenp7 wrote:
Thanks, russiansunshine for your feedback Smile do you have a product rec for either the antioxident serum or retinol product?

As far as facial exercises go, did you try them personally?

jenp7, there are a lot of good antioxidant serums discussed in the forum. Right now I am liking my DIY 5% Vit C serum and Paula's Choice AO Serum. I first use my 0.2 mm dermaroller and then apply Vit C serum right after and the PC AO Serum 30 minutes later.

Since my skin tolerates Retin A 0.025% well, I do not use a retinol product. I heard that Serious Skincare makes a good A-Force XR Retinol Serum. I also heard a lot of praise for the one by Skinceuticals.

Yes, I have tried the exercises and hated them. I also do not like the way these facial exercise gurus (Carole Maggio, Deb from Flexeffect) look like. My philosophy is that a face should not be touched. I have a round face and would not like it to become square. I know a few people who rarely express emotions using their face and their skin looks flawless, no mimic lines whatsoever. Again, this is just my viewpoint, not based on any empirical evidence or research.
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you both for the suggestions. I am looking into an antioxidant serum right now. Not sure if I really need to use a Retin product...how do you two use that? What benefits have you seen?

I guess I should keep it simple at this point with a serum and sunscreen. I want to try CPs on the eye area but am a little scared-- have either one of your tried those? I am looking to tighten and tone the skin on my cheeks.

Also, what about gadgets? I use a LED once a week on the NL area and 1x/mth on my face (dont use often since my skin gets a little irritated by it). What about any other tools of the trade?

RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
jenp7, a retinol-based product is the best you can do to your skin, IMHO. Retinoic acid is clinically proven to repair photodamaged skin, improves wrinkles, helps with acne, and so on and so forth. Antioxidants can only protect against free radicals. Since your skin is reactive, you can start slowly with small amounts and low percentage.

I use CPs, they are good for tightening, but not as effective as Retin A.

jenp7 wrote:
Thank you both for the suggestions. I am looking into an antioxidant serum right now. Not sure if I really need to use a Retin product...how do you two use that? What benefits have you seen?

I guess I should keep it simple at this point with a serum and sunscreen. I want to try CPs on the eye area but am a little scared-- have either one of your tried those? I am looking to tighten and tone the skin on my cheeks.

Also, what about gadgets? I use a LED once a week on the NL area and 1x/mth on my face (dont use often since my skin gets a little irritated by it). What about any other tools of the trade?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |