Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Help!! I need a good SPF for oily, acne prone skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
erica1981
5% products discount

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there!!
I just started on Retin-A and need a recommendation for a great Moisturizer with SPF to use in the AM. I currently have a the tinted moisturizer with SPF by Proactiv...and also have tried the Laura Mercier Oil-free tinted moisturizer (both have spf 15-20). Are these enough protection or should I use a seperate sunscreen? I have very oily, acne prone skin and would rather not add another product on my face during the day. Thanks!!
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
The SPF strength that you need depends on many facts. Where do you live, what do you do during the day (work in an office?) ect…

I’m using Retin-A at night and I wear protection between 20 and 50 SPF.
20 SPF (Paula’s choice barely there sheer matte tint) is for the cloudy or rainy summer days when I work (I work in an office). 50 SPF (Clinique advance protection) every sunny summer days (working or not working) because I have lunch outside on those days and I have my breaks out side too. 41 SPF (Elta Md UV Physical tinted) for any winter days.

I make sure I always have some 30 SPF powder Sunforgettable with me to apply at lunch time or any times I fell I need to reapply protection.

None of them are making my skin oily. Only the Clinique one when I first apply it. The one I like the most is the Elta MD UV physical tinted but the color is a little to lite for me during summer time.
joti
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
I myself use retianl A and my dermatoglist recommended I use ultra sheer neutogena sunscreen i use SPF 45 right now.

I found some screen screen's made me break out even more but this one has been really great!

hope this helps

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
I use retin a and have oily acne prone skin, I'm currently using devita solar protective moisturizer spf30 with obagi sunshield spf50 on top of it on the sunny days and the obagi on its for the rest of the time. Neither of them have broken me out, however the devita on its own leaves me far too oily and the obagi gives me a matte finish even over the devita.
Germangirl

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use Retin A but can recommend Osmosis Shelter and Elta MD UV 46 SPF Clear for oily/acne prone skin. Both products are great and moisturizing.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:44 am      Reply with quote
I second Elta MD Clear SPF 46. I love it in the summer, and am using more moisturizing stuff now that it's winter (Cerave AM SPF 30 for daily use in the midwest, Vanicream SPF 60 for holidays in Mexico).

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:41 am      Reply with quote
I like Kimberly Sayer Ultra Light Facial Moisturizer SPF25, but am not sure if SPF25 would be enough for you.
redheadnow

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
Have you tried the Murad range i find it great for me they have a oil free sunblock sheer tint you could try. Hope this helps
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I use the Laura Mercier Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer as well. I also use a vit C serum in the morning. Once I applied the LM over dried vit C. Terrible. It didn't spread and just sat in blotches over my skin. I find sunscreen to be a great base for make-up. Also, LM on its own won't provide much protection, since ideally, you're spreading a thin layer to even out skin tone, not slathering it on.

But you say you want a moisturizer with SPF, those tend to have a SPF of about 15. You should probably wear a sunscreen of at least especially if you're using retin A.

Right now I'm using Clinique SPF 40 (oil free), which I stupidly repurchased. It seems like it'd be great, but when I apply it, some of it doesn't absorb and I get these rolled, dried flakes. (You know when you apply a clay mask, and before it dries completely, you rub your finger over one spot and you get these dry flakes - yeah like that).

By the way, I apply LM with a makeup sponge, which helps it spread more evenly, more so than applying it with finger. Although I find that I use less of it if I apply with a foundation brush.

I also tried a Pure + Simple Oily/Impure Sunscreen from NCN Skincare. I applied it, and it instantly dried (and I mean dried) on my skin in a white mask. I've never seen anything like that before. Also, the NCN website lists Retinyl Palmitate as one of the ingredients whereas the Pure+Simple website says it's Retinyl Palmitate-free.

I'm also acne-prone... well, more like acne-ridden at the moment. So I would really recommend that you go for a natural physical sunscreen. I'm at my wits end when it comes to battling my acne, and I'm trying to switch to all-natural safe products so I'm not constantly irritating my skin with the garbage additives. Right now I'm waiting on Badget Unscented SPF30 (link to EWG) and Devita Solar Protective Moisturizer SPF 30 (link to EWG) although I think that's the old formula since the one I bought has zinc oxide at 19%, not 14%.

I also got a sample of Skin Authority Sunscreen SPF 30, which contains all-chemical blockers (Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 7%, Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 3%, Oxybenzone 6%) and my skin felt irritated so I quit using it after a few days.
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:16 am      Reply with quote
UPDATE: Just got my Devita sunscreen today. This stuff is a dream. Oh my god, I can't believe this is sunscreen. It's so light and wonderful. Definitely give this a try. And the ingredients list is fantastic. It's even got hyaluronic acid. It absorbs quickly and there's no residue.
CrystalCandy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
I use Shiseido ultra sun protection for face and body, it has a SPF of 50. The texture is amazing, not greasy and it's mattifying!
beauty mask
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Devita and Eminence both are good.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
I like Cosmedicine Medi Matte SPF 30 and BareEscentuals SPT 30 Mineral Sunscreen...neither break me out.
joseibi
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
Shiseido's sunscreen was my HG SPF for the longest time, until I discovered DeVita! I was unaware that Shiseido tests on animals and switched to DeVita (which, thankfully EDS carries now!) because it's vegan and cruelty free. Best decision ever.

(Update: for some reason, Shiseido's sunscreen, which worked well for me for years, felt very thick and my skin couldn't breathe. I don't know if this is psychological as I have became vegetarian and stopped using animal tested products!)
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
I like Avene Hydrance UV light spf 20- uses Tinosorb S. It absorbs almost instantly.
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
joseibi wrote:
Shiseido's sunscreen was my HG SPF for the longest time, until I discovered DeVita! I was unaware that Shiseido tests on animals and switched to DeVita (which, thankfully EDS carries now!) because it's vegan and cruelty free. Best decision ever.

(Update: for some reason, Shiseido's sunscreen, which worked well for me for years, felt very thick and my skin couldn't breathe. I don't know if this is psychological as I have became vegetarian and stopped using animal tested products!)

So this statement is false in your opinion?

Shiseido does not test its cosmetic products on animals, under any circumstances.

http://www.asia.shiseido.com/about/specialty/approaches/animaltesting.htm

Just FYI, very few (if any) cosmetic products are actually tested on animals. However, individual ingredients (even natural or organic ones) are most likely tested on animals by the manufacturer (producer, supplier) of the ingredient. This is particularly true for ingredients which have been around for years, since alternative non-animal testing is relatively new.

5% products discount

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for all of the responses!! I have not been on here in quite some time and there are alot of wonderful ideas that I'm excited to try!
Onmyboat, thank you so much for all the info you posted! I am curious to try the Devita sunscreen you mentioned. Do you still apply Vitamin C in the am with the sunscreen over it? Then your makeup?
havana8

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:30 am      Reply with quote
I have to agree about the Devita. It gets a definite from me. I also really like the John Masters sunscreen:

John Masters Natural Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30
Titanium Dioxide 7.5%, Zinc Oxide 5.0%, Aqua (water), aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice,* capric caprylic triglycerides, ethyl hexyl palmitate, glyceryl stearate, glycerin, cetyl alcohol, jojoba oil,* shea butter,* panthenol, tocopherol acetate, allantoin, sodium pca, green tea extract,* magnesium aluminum silicate, hyaluronic acid, calendula extract,* ethyl hexyl glycerin, benzyl alcohol* Certified Organic
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
erica1981 wrote:

Onmyboat, thank you so much for all the info you posted! I am curious to try the Devita sunscreen you mentioned. Do you still apply Vitamin C in the am with the sunscreen over it? Then your makeup?

I've been using Devita for three weeks now. Fantastic stuff. This a Holy Grail product for me. Badger was also good but very thick, and you have to keep rubbing to get rid of the white cast. I think it's perfect for dry skin or winter time.
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to answer your original question: sunscreen is THE most important part of skincare/prevention of premature aging. It doesn't make sense to use a night topical to repair/renew your skin when you're going out unprotected at daytime and damaging the healthy skin cells.

I also just came across 100% Pure Argan Oil Sunscreen. I tried it on my hand, and it's very light and easily spreadable. It's also a 1/4 zinc oxide. I may switch to this in the summer for greater protection.

Ingredients: Active Ingredients: 24.8 % Zinc Oxide

Inactive Ingredients: Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice1, Rgania Spinosa Kernel (Argan) Oil, Rosa Canina Seed (Rosehip Oil) Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Extracts of: Euphorbia Cerifera Cera (Candelilla Wax), Organic Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf2, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf, Origanum Vulgar (Oregano), Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme), Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit Seed) Seed, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal), Lonicera Caprifolium (Japanese Honeysuckle) and Cinnamomum Zeylanicum Bark (Cinnamon).

Also just wanted to throw my 2 cents in:

A few months ago, I was using Clinique City Block and Makeup Forever HD Foundation most days. When I came home in the evening, I wouldn't take my makeup off until bed time. And I would be sitting around, doing whatever, and I'd feel this irritation on a small area of my face. Sure enough, when I'd go look in the mirror, there would be a whitehead/pimple/cyst in that spot. Then I'd pile on more foundation/concealer to hide the redness/acne. And this was a constant cycle. And the whitehead were almost always the bulbous, thin-skinned variety, which would break during my cleansing no matter how gentle I was and leave redness/scars. Then I switched to OCM and Devita pretty much at the same time (I also dab on a light layer of LM Oil-free). My face was the same for the first two weeks or so (pimples, whiteheads) but now it's about 80% better. Now I haven't had a cyst in a week, and (I have one small whitehead now) the whiteheads that I do get are barely raised, go away within a few days and covered with thick skin ie less prone to breaking. I know that OCM breaks some people people out, but I had nothing to lose so I figured it was worth a shot. It's amazing how something so cheap (a bottle of 100ml of grapeseed and castor oil set me back about $11) has been so effective. I just wish I tried it before plunking down $200 on Skin Authority acne set, which ended up irritating/drying my face and doing absolutely nothing for my acne.

I can't find the ingredients list for the Proactiv tinted moisturizer, but if it's anything like the repairing treatment, it's probably irritating your face. Basically, if you find that your acne doesn't get better, you should consider OCM.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
I ended up using Burnout Eco-sensitive SPF 32 in the Mexican heat--it blends better than the Elta MD Clear 46, and is more matte too--perfect for my oily skin in 80F weather. And I used the moisturizing Vanicream SPF 60 on my neck and hands.

And I topped the Burnout with Jane Iredale Purepressed base SPF 20 in Ivory. I looked a bit dewy/glowy by the end of the day, but definitely not the greaseball shine of yesteryear.

Burnout and Vanicream are both tough to get off, though. My technique is a big dollop of safflower oil rubbed in good, then suds with foaming cleanser, rinse good, then a little cleanser with my Clarisonic and a final rinse. (Best done in the shower.)

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |