Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

:: Review :: RAVE about JI
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Ladies -- I'm sure many of you don't recognize my username -- hopefully Mabsy still does . . . I'm the old "Yonka girl" that some people refer to . . .

I've been busy the past year with law school and planning a wedding (October wedding this year) . . . I'm always here reading posts but haven't had the chance to really post any meaningful replies lately.

I have, however, discovered a great mineral make up -- I've been using it for about 6 months now.

For those of you who don't know, I was an INSANE Bare Escentuals fan. It was great -- I used #2.3 and really loved the make up. UNTIL I tried Jane Iredale.

My make up routine goes like this:
Wash with Yonka Gel Nettoyant in the morning.
Follow with Yonka Lotion, pat dry.
Yonka Juvenil on any acne or red spot.
Decleor Aromessence Ylang Ylang oil on nose and cheeks. Let it soak in.
Decleor Hydra-Mat Regulating Fluid -- let it dry.

I know it sounds like a lot but it's basically cleanse, tone, treat, moisturize Smile

Then, once the lotion sets in, I apply Jane Iredale's new product: ABSENCE. If you have not tried this (and have oily oily skin like me), you MUST MUST TRY THIS. You apply it like a powder (though it's a bit denser) and it forms a barrier to soak up oil. There is NOTHING that I have used that compares to this product -- and believe me, I have used just about EVERYTHING that attempts to "soak up" oil.

After Absence, I use Jane Iredale Disappear in Medium on trouble spot. Rub that in. Then I apply Jane Iredale mineral make up loose powder in Warm Sienna. And my goodness -- the result is just wonderful. I really thought I was "lying" to myself at how clear my skin looked. I looked at myself under different lighting, under the sun, etc. . . . just to see if I was seeing clearly.

The real test, however, came when I saw some relatives at dinner and they said, "Wow, your skin's cleared up from all your acne, eh? Wow, your skin looks really good."

The truth: My skin is still acneic depending on the time of the month (wink wink). But Jane Iredale is here to help out when things aren't so "perfect."

Honestly, I think it's a combination of the Ylang Ylang and the Hydra-Mat fluid -- but I ALWAYS notice a difference in my skin when I don't use ABSENCE. I tried not using it to see if things would be different but my skin is NOTICEABLY oilier without ABSENCE.

My skin usually gets very oily after about 1 hour after applying make up. I always want to take a tissue to my T-zone to "soak" up oil. With absence -- I can look in the mirror and everything looks GREAT -- FRESH. It's absolutely amazing.

Bare Escentuals -- I've been getting rid of my stuff on MUA these days. It's too dewy for my skin type and it really did cause more breakouts than I thought. It's only after I started using JI that I realized that BE wasn't so great for my skin (for whatever reason, I'll probably never know).

I'm planning a wedding these days and I've been looking for make up artists -- I've tried airbrush make up, MAC, etc . . . . but my parents really think I should do my own make up -- because they've SEEN the difference Jane Iredale makes for my complexion. I kid you not -- even *I* am amazed at the results. You don't get a powdery thick finish -- it looks very SMOOTH and . . . I just can't say enough good things about the outcome. I never thought my oily, acneic skin could look as good as it does with JI's help.

Sorry for the LOOOOOOOOOOOONG post but I've been using this routine for quite some time now and it's just the most amazing discovery for me. I think BE is also a great line -- it just depends on how your skin reacts to the different products.

Lisa

PS -- Hi Mabsy and Magda and Caspers Mum! Long time no talk!!!!! Smile
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:05 am      Reply with quote
Hey Lisa,

I'm currently trying to convince my best friend and other bridesmaids to go and get mineral makeup done for her wedding. I found a package for $100, makeup, manicure and pedicure. PLUS I have a 20% off coupon.

They all want to go to MAC and purchase stuff before-hand and do our own makeup that morning. ugh, I don't want to buy any MAC crap for the wedding, I want JI!! One of my friends in the bridal party took a makeup artisty course and she knows nothing about mineral makeup...

I'm going to be a b**** and get my makeup done separately if that's what it comes down to.

Sorry, you mentioned wedding and MMU and I just had to rant! I hope you don't need to deal with any pain in the ass bridesmaids like me!
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:39 am      Reply with quote
hellllooooo! funny, I was wondering what had happened to all the posters I used to read but then disappeard as soon as I joined in!
Good luck with your wedding!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Hey, Lisa

Welcome back!!! If I remember correctly, you were Mabsy's Minty twin!!!

Great to hear about your Oct weddding - you are going to be one busy chick.

Nice review, makes me want to add to my Dr H's cleanser order.....

Cheers
Jenny
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Yup, I AM Mabsy's Minty Twin -- and I'm still a minty nut! More than ever!

Speaking of Jane Iredale for weddings -- honestly, I think it's the way to go for ME because I have found the "magic tool" to control my oil and make my skin look great. I think the big test is to apply the make up thicker and take some pics to make sure I can see the color in pics. The great thing about make up artists is that they know how to apply your make up differently for photographs -- so I'll have to experiment around. I've paid too much for "trial makeovers" that I don't like so I think I'm just too picky.

A TON of people use MAC make up because it's heavy coverage and supposedly lasts really long (especially if you use air brush make up) -- BUT I think the coverage is too heavy for me. With JI, a little goes a long way. The MAC makeovers that I've had felt gunky and thick -- just not used to the non-mineral make up feel anymore Smile
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I've had a few MAC makeovers and within an hour my face is oily and shiny, and within 3 the foundation is gone.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, this Abscence sounds really great! I, too, am super-oily and my makeup 'melts' within hours. I can't stand it. Can you use abscence alone, or do you need to cover it with foundation? I really don't use foundation but I sometimes wear eyeliner, eyeshadow, blush. You can put it on your eyelids I am assuming??
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Chimera -- YES you can put it on your eyelids -- which is SO great because my eyeliner and eyeshadow always tends to "melt off" after a 5-6 hours and sting my eyes . . . cuz I'm oily or something! ERG!

I don't suggest wearing it alone because it's a white color . . . it doesn't appear white on your face but if you put it on alone, it makes you look pale. Hope this makes sense. It's not colored so it doesn't really make you look that great. I would definitely suggest using Absence, then touching up spots with Disappear concealer (or whatever your preferred concealer is), and then applying JI foundation (or whatever foundation you use). It is an AMAZING product. I have to say this is THE first item that's really proven to me to control my oil. And I'm one of those people that gets really SHINY after just an hour -- like you want to give me a kleenex so I can wipe my forehead and nose off.

But with Absence -- I can look in the mirror and there is this nice "glow" -- I think it's oil but it's NOT -- it's just this nice radiance (probably a mix of my oil being controlled and just the natural wonder of JI foundation).

So to answer your question -- yes, you can put it on your eyelids. I would definitely suggest using foundation over it if you apply to your entire face, though.

Too bad Absence doesn't come in a sample so you could try it -- but give it a try and tell me what you think. I've used EVERYTHING you can imagine . . . matte powders, oil control lotions (that just tend to dry out my skin). It's THE best product. I haven't tried JI's matte finishing powder (wonder if that'll make the routine ever BETTER), but I'm going to buy it soon.

Hope this helps!
Lisa
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:40 am      Reply with quote
Hey Lisa -

Thanks for the info about Absence – I’ve been wondering about it because I, too, have super-oily skin that needs blotting an hour after applying my makeup. Actually, I think you and I might be long-lost twins, too...in addition to the oily skin, I’ve been a BE user since 2001 but I recently ventured out to try Jane Iredale. I bought a sample size of the pressed powder foundation in Warm Silk and Amber, and if I mix the two, it seems to be my perfect match (I was a BE #3) but I haven’t decided whether or not I like the JI better than BE yet, as I’m having a hard time applying it. I’m waiting for payday to arrive so I can invest in one of those JI handi-brushes, as my BE foundation brush simply doesn’t work when it comes to applying the JI pressed foundation....

Anyway, would you mind listing some of the other oily ‘mattifying’ products that you’ve tried before you discovered the Absence? I want to see if my list is comparable to your’s...I really, really, really want to try Absence, but I’m afraid I’ll be let down yet again. Like you, I’ve tried nearly every oil-control product out there and the only thing I’ve found that works even marginally well is applying a very thin coat of (plain, unflavored) Milk of Magnesia to my face and letting it dry before applying my BE foundation. If I could find a place with a great refund policy, I wouldn’t be so reluctant about trying Absence, but so far all of my JI research indicates ‘choose wisely, because you’re gonna be stuck with it whether you like it or not!!’

Oh, and congrats and happy wedding planning – hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Carrie
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi CareKate,

Strange, we MUST be long-lost twins . . . I'm actually from Houston and I see that you're up in Austin! Smile I'm in Boston for school but Boston also rhymes with Austin so yeah, we must be twins! Smile

Definitely try the Jane Iredale brush for her minerals. I ADORE the JI line right now due to the effect it has on my skin. I didn't bother trying to apply the JI minerals with the BE brush . . . I figured I'd give it a fair shot by buying the brush Smile

As for the oil-fighting products I've tried. Let's see . . .

Dermalogica Active Moist
Dermalogic Oil Control Lotion
Valmont Daily Balance Serum
All OTC products that have "oil controlling" on them
Prescriptives All You Need
Clinique Oil Control Lotion (I think it has another name but I can't remember it right now)
Rodan and Fields CALM line (the final lotion is more of a treatment lotion but they say you can use it under make up -- works great for acne, not so great for under make up)

I think there are a lot I've forgotten just due to the fact that I've used so many -- but if you have a question on a product, maybe you can tell me and I can tell you if I've used it. I've tried a LOT of things to be sure and I definitely think Absence is a new milestone in my quest for an oil-controlling item. The other thing you want to be sure is that the oil controlling item doesn't dry out your skin or make your skin feel tight. That's what I hated about a lot of the products -- they just made my skin feel dry and tight and made the make up look unsmooth. Absence controls oil but also gives your skin room to BREATHE (and remember, I've been in -20 weather these few days and I don't feel dry!). After you let the JI make up sit for about 30-40 minutes, take a look in the mirror and you'll see how well it meshes with your skin. I actually get this nice glow -- not 'dewy' like with BE -- but just a nice healthy glow that I haven't ever gotten (due to the "shine" I usually have).

Hope this helps,
Lisa
I'm currently using the Decleor Ylang Ylang oil and Decleor Mattifying lotion under my JI and it works GREAT -- no oil (but again, it's probably due to Absence, too).
Mabsy

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lisa! *waves madly*

Ah, my minty twin and enabler... It's really good to have you back on here! Thoughtcrime and I were just talking about you the other day Smile

I have to say that your review was very convincing! As most of them have been - from what I recall you are responsible for many of my purchases Laughing I now really *really* want to try this powder and it's been added onto the list of products to get with my next order (BE clear radiance and Physician's Choice cleanser were alrady on that list). I don't really have oily skin and I can go the whole day with JI pressed base without having to touch up. But towards the end of the day it is looking a bit like it would benefit from a touch up even though it's not critical. I think I might get this and use it only on my t-zone and see how I go.

Thanks for the fab review! I hope the wedding planning is going smoothly Smile

Mabsy
MsJam
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering Chunlisa, what do you think of La Bella Donna compare to JI?

I love JI too, I wear warm sienna as well, and nicolleta from LBD.
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi MsJam,

I was actually told to use Umbria in the La Bella Donna line. I used the pressed powder and the loose powder. That's strange that you can waer Nicolleta under LBD and wear Warm Sienna -- can I ask what your skin tone is? Just want to make sure I'M not wearing the wrong color. Umbria was supposed to be their "most popular" color for Asians but it had way too much "pink" in it. I called and asked about it but I ended up just returning one of the items. I felt too bad for using the other one so I didn't bother returning that one. It's still sitting in my little make up drawer. Confused

I never really got an unusually good or bad reaction to La Bella Donna. I think their packaging is cute and nice -- but DEFINITELY felt and noticed a difference with Jane Iredale the first time I used it. So I guess that's saying something -- not sure WHAT it's saying, but it's something. Very Happy I think La Bella Donna is also a bit pricier -- and I refuse to pay that price for something that really doesn't match my skin tone all that well and doesn't really have as good of coverage as I get from JI.

Please do let me know what your skin tone is --I'm Asian so I have yellow undertones.
WhiteLotus
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
lianne wrote:

I'm going to be a b**** and get my makeup done separately if that's what it comes down to.

Sorry, you mentioned wedding and MMU and I just had to rant! I hope you don't need to deal with any pain in the ass bridesmaids like me!

Sorry lianne, but I had to add my two cents to your comment.

This is your wedding girlfriend not theirs!! You have every right to wear the clothes and makeup that you want.

You know your likes and dislikes better than anyone else. You should wear the makeup products that you want (and !). Then it is absolutely guaranteed that you are gonna look very hot! Wink

Congratulations and best wishes to both of you!! Very Happy
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:29 am      Reply with quote
Hey Boston!

It’s Austin here, with another question: you said you have oily skin so I’m curious why you chose the JI loose foundation...I heard somewhere (most probably here or on MUA) that the JI pressed powder foundation was a better choice for oily skin so that’s what I went with (the aforementioned samples fromwww.skin-etc.com ). FYI, you’ve pretty much convinced me to try the JI Absence. There’s a JI retailer here in Austin, and I need to go pick up that ‘handi brush’ on payday anyway, so I figure WTH, I might as well get the Absence while I’m there!

BTW, back to our Boston/Austin connection. I have this friend in Boston and she and I used to meet up around the country to attend Indycar races. It was funny because we’d start talking to other race fans in the paddock, and they’d ask where we were from and I’m like “Austin,” and she’s like, “Boston.” Of course, you only had to listen to our accents to know we were from opposite sides of the Mason-Dixon line. Me, with my lovely Texas drawl and her with her twangy Bah-ston accent! Wink
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Austin!

Boston here. I've also heard that the pressed powder is better for the oily skin tones but I just don't get very good results applying the pressed powders. I tried La Bella Donna pressed mineral powders and it just doesn't give the right coverage. I really like the JI loose powder brush and I am just used to the "buffing" motion -- probably learned from my days of using Bare Escentuals.

Having said this, I have recently ordered the Handi Brush and the Matte Finishing powder by JI. I doubt the Matte Finishing powder will do much difference since I already use Absence -- but it'll be interesting. Might as well try, right? I also asked for some samples of Warm Sienna (my color) in the pressed form to see if I have better luck applying it. I mean, I guess the pressed form is always said to be better for oily skins but the loose powder has worked pretty well for me. I am, however, going to try the JI pressed form and see if it makes a difference.

More snow in Boston . . . craziness. The snow heaps on the side of the road are about 9 feet tall at last count -- reeeeeeeeeeally scary.
MsJam
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Chunlisa,

I am Asian too and have yellow skin undertone, first I tried BE 2.3 but it was a little pink for me, I tried LBD Umbria and had the same effect, I tried LBD Nicolleta and it's perfect! I can wear Warm Sienna from JI and the shade is very close to Nicolleta, except Nicolleta is a tad lighter than Warm Sienna.
In the summer, I can probably wear Umbria or Caterina from LBD, we'll see!

*forgot to add*
I like JI's pressed powder rather than loose, I have the warm sienna in pressed form.

MsJam
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:51 am      Reply with quote
Being new to minerals I ordered the abscence with my first JI purchase thinking I needed it. My skin isn't oily anymore but after years of having oily skin it is hard to get rid of the mindset.

The abscence isn't a powder it is a cream that comes in a compact. It says to apply it with the sponge that is included. I have heard great reviews from everyone that has tried it but mine sits untouched.

Sherri
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:25 am      Reply with quote
chunlisa wrote:
I also asked for some samples of Warm Sienna (my color) in the pressed form to see if I have better luck applying it.
FYI - I also read on MUA that the pressed powder colors are actually a tad darker than the loose forms. I think it's between a half-shade to a full-shade difference. So "Warm Sienna" might not actually be the right shade for you in the pressed version....

I keep seeing those wild photos of the snow on the news. My condolences. Here, it's sunny and 78 degrees! Razz Of course, we're due for a 'blue norther' to blow through this morning, so I'll be freezing my toenails off by noon....
Mabsy

Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:44 am      Reply with quote
Okie dokie, I'm going to get this because it sounds really good and the MUA reviews back it up as well.

Two questions though. It's been described here as 'denser than powder' and also a 'cream in a compact'. Is this the consistency of say a cream2powder foundation? How do you apply it? I read on MUA that people are using taklon brushes and MAC foundation brushes so I gather this is a "wet" formula rather than a powder?

Sorry, just a bit confuzzled on this one! Embarassed
mailnat
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:53 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to be a pain and inturrupt this nice chatty thread but can someone please explain and clarify what exactly mineral makeup is what the good qualities about it are? It sounds really enticing from reading all these posts. thanks
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:05 am      Reply with quote
Mailnat -

Use the search function in the upper right-hand corner to find the zillion threads discussing the merits of mineral makeup. However, if you want a quick overview, click on this link to see my persuasive Smile argument in favor of mineral makeup vs. traditional makeup:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4187&highlight=clog+pores

HTH,
Carrie
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
Lisa -- thanks for responding to my query! I don't usually wear foundation, but I'm tempted to purchase this product for almost exclusive use on my OILY eyelids! I can't stand that my eye makeup looks like an oily mess after only a few hours. I'm so excited!!!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Okay, I gave in and bought the JI Absence. I don’t want to repeat myself all over the forum, so click here iffen you want to read my opinion on it: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4523&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

As you can see, I was completely underwhelmed...although at least something else positive came out of it!

Carrie
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:09 am      Reply with quote
FYI, I just posted an update to my initial opinion of Absence. You can read about it here: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=35756#35756
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |