Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Is .025% Retin-A More Than Sufficient?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lawnboy
5% products discount

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
For the purposes of wrinkles and fine lines, is Retin-A .025% gel as effect as the .1%?

I have rosacea and it seems like the .1% would be more irritating, but curious if the .025% strength is more than sufficient for noticeable results.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
I think so. It helped with my cystic acne.
lawnboy
5% products discount

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Good to hear; are you still using the .025%?

Skincare wrote:
I think so. It helped with my cystic acne.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Yes
lawnboy
5% products discount

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
So the .1% version is simply stronger for acne purposes?

Skincare wrote:
Yes
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using generic tretinoin .025 for a few weeks and I get flaking but not irritation. But I only use it 3x week. When the flaking stops, I'll try using it daily to see what happens.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
I remember reading somewhere here that there really is no difference between the various strengths on your skin and that they're actually quite unnecessary. If the search system was working properly (grrr) I'd look for the thread for you. (actually, if anyone could find it, I'd be interested in reading it again to make sure I hadn't misunderstood)

However, I recently went up to .04 from .025 just because when I made my initial purchase I bought several tubes at once all in different strengths since I thought I'd need to "progress". I don't know if its the strength, the formulation or perhaps the length of time its been overall (9 months), but my skin is LOVING this new tube. All of a sudden my skin looks more even toned and my pores look tiny! Fingers crossed my skin's not just enjoying all the warm weather and extra fruit!
FYI I probably use it 4 nights a week just because I get too sleepy(!) to apply it every night.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:01 am      Reply with quote
If you're unsatisfied because you're not seeing as much flaking as you'd like, you should actually be grateful! Lots of people suffer from the flakies and end up giving it up because it's just too irritating. Just because you're not getting a side effect, it doesn't mean it's not working. In fact, it's probably working great. However, if you do see an increase in fine lines over time or no improvement after a year, THEN you should consider something stronger. Otherwise, no flakes = good
lawnboy
5% products discount

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:28 am      Reply with quote
Keep posted if you would and let me know how it works for you.

SoftSkin wrote:
I've been using generic tretinoin .025 for a few weeks and I get flaking but not irritation. But I only use it 3x week. When the flaking stops, I'll try using it daily to see what happens.
lawnboy
5% products discount

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:30 am      Reply with quote
Meaning .025% should still yield good results?

oasisjc wrote:
If you're unsatisfied because you're not seeing as much flaking as you'd like, you should actually be grateful! Lots of people suffer from the flakies and end up giving it up because it's just too irritating. Just because you're not getting a side effect, it doesn't mean it's not working. In fact, it's probably working great. However, if you do see an increase in fine lines over time or no improvement after a year, THEN you should consider something stronger. Otherwise, no flakes = good
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:32 am      Reply with quote
I guess it depends on your skin. I have sensitive skin but it takes very well to Retin-A. I was started off on the 0.05% cream and did not notice any effect so the doctor upped me to the 0.1% cream. I used it for a month before my skin started to show a little flaking, especially around the sides of the nose. So I stopped for a while. I guess the effect accumulates.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:46 am      Reply with quote
You can take a look at this study that was done between the 0.1% and 0.025%.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7544967
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:48 am      Reply with quote
I have to agree it depends on your skin as everyone reacts differently. Some people can only tolerate .25% and even then it's already harsh enough. I tolerated the .5% easily and thought I would get even better results going up to 1%. In the end the constant redness and dryness made any progress I had achieved when using the .5% worst, so I dropped the strength down.
joti
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 am      Reply with quote
I have been putting on .05 Rentin A on my acne for a week and it didn't make a difference at all they just stayed the same Sad

I am going to stop and try aloe vera as i heard Retin A is only effective for getting rid of blemishes

5% products discount

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Sensitive skin here too, but drys out easily due to the rosacea. Just realize my dermatologist prescribed the Micro .04%.

chloes wrote:
I guess it depends on your skin. I have sensitive skin but it takes very well to Retin-A. I was started off on the 0.05% cream and did not notice any effect so the doctor upped me to the 0.1% cream. I used it for a month before my skin started to show a little flaking, especially around the sides of the nose. So I stopped for a while. I guess the effect accumulates.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
If you will end up with pretty much the same results using the 0.05% as you do with the 0.025% then surely it's better to use the lower strength? You wouldn't have as bad a time of it with all the uglies either.

If I wasn't getting on so well with my 0.05% cream and my skin hadn't acclimatised to this strength, I would definitely consider moving down to the 0.025%, I may even order a couple of tubes of the 0.025% next time I reorder my retin a.
MimiBurn

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:54 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
You can take a look at this study that was done between the 0.01% and 0.025%.

Hello everybody, long time lurker here, first time poster.
I saw the link you posted rileygirl, and thought it would be good to share with you all another study I found out on NCBI that states that a lower % of tretinoin is better.
Their conclusion was:
Quote:
"Results  Topical RA regardless of concentration increased type I procollagen expression in human skin in vivo after 2 weeks.
However, only 0·01% RA continuously increased type I procollagen expression up to 8 weeks.
After 4 weeks, significant infiltrations of macrophages and neutrophils were observed in 0·025% and 0·05% RA-treated skin, and procollagen expression had returned to baseline.
Conclusions  Excessive RA-induced inflammation might prevent collagen accumulation in aged skin despite the positive effect of RA on collagen production."

I got a little bit scared, so I now only use 0.01%. I understand tha OP uses it for acne purposes, but maybe this is something to consider too.

Please check it out: the address is the same that you posted but with number /21623752

(can't post links yet!).

HTH! This post sure is a mess Very Happy please, forgive my English - greetings from Argentina.
lawnboy
5% products discount

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Acne? No, wrinkles and fine lines.

MimiBurn wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

I understand tha OP uses it for acne purposes, but maybe this is something to consider too.

MimiBurn

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:01 am      Reply with quote
lawnboy wrote:
Acne? No, wrinkles and fine lines.

MimiBurn wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

I understand tha OP uses it for acne purposes, but maybe this is something to consider too.

Sorry! Shock got confused! Anyways, hope that link help you choose Smile
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:32 am      Reply with quote
lawnboy wrote:

oasisjc wrote:

Yes, at 0.025%, it should work fine. Just keep track of how your skin is reacting to it, and if you're still getting wrinkles/fine lines, then you can consider stepping up a notch
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:33 am      Reply with quote
joti wrote:
I have been putting on .05 Rentin A on my acne for a week and it didn't make a difference at all they just stayed the same Sad

I am going to stop and try aloe vera as i heard Retin A is only effective for getting rid of blemishes

A week is not enough to help diminish your acne. Rarely anything will be able to get rid of acne within a week. Retin-A requires AT LEAST 7-12 weeks to show any effect, but the results it produces is incredible if your skin can tolerate the side effects
lawnboy
5% products discount

Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:07 am      Reply with quote
Seems that I was actually prescribed the .4% Micro; any idea how that compared to the .025% which I believe is not the Micro version?

oasisjc wrote:
lawnboy wrote:

oasisjc wrote:

Yes, at 0.025%, it should work fine. Just keep track of how your skin is reacting to it, and if you're still getting wrinkles/fine lines, then you can consider stepping up a notch
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:02 am      Reply with quote
MimiBurn wrote:

I saw the link you posted rileygirl, and thought it would be good to share with you all another study I found out on NCBI that states that a lower % of tretinoin is better.

Hi, MimiBurn! That is pretty much the conclusion from the link I posted, as well. The lower strength is just fine, in other words.

Per the link I posted:

RESULTS:

Both 0.1% and 0.025% tretinoin produced statistically significant overall improvement in photoaging of the face compared with vehicle; there were no clinically or statistically significant differences in efficacy between the two concentrations of tretinoin. After 48 weeks, 0.1% and 0.025% tretinoin produced similar statistically significant epidermal thickening (by 30% and 28%, respectively) compared with vehicle (11% decrease) and increased vascularity (by 100% and 89%, respectively) compared with vehicle (9% decrease). By various analyses, irritant side effects (erythema and scaling) were statistically significantly greater with 0.1% tretinoin than with 0.025% tretinoin. No significant changes occurred in any immunologic markers when tretinoin and vehicle treatments were compared.
CONCLUSIONS:

Tretinoin 0.1% and 0.025% produce similar clinical and histologic changes in patients with photoaging, despite significantly greater incidence of irritation with the higher concentration. The separation between clinical improvement and irritation suggests that mechanisms other than irritation dominate tretinoin-induced repair of photoaging in humans.
Very Happy
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:41 am      Reply with quote
lawnboy wrote:
Seems that I was actually prescribed the .4% Micro; any idea how that compared to the .025% which I believe is not the Micro version?

oasisjc wrote:
lawnboy wrote:

oasisjc wrote:

Micro is generally prescribed for those with acne because its formulation allows the tretinoin to be released slowly over time to reduce irritation. It still provides effects against wrinkles/fine lines although people who are concerned with this usually go for the gel or cream. Are you acne-prone?
MimiBurn

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:22 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
MimiBurn wrote:

Hi, MimiBurn! That is pretty much the conclusion from the link I posted, as well. The lower strength is just fine, in other words.

Per the link I posted:

RESULTS:

Both 0.1% and 0.025% tretinoin produced statistically significant overall improvement in photoaging of the face compared with vehicle; there were no clinically or statistically significant differences in efficacy between the two concentrations of tretinoin. After 48 weeks, 0.1% and 0.025% tretinoin produced similar statistically significant epidermal thickening (by 30% and 28%, respectively) compared with vehicle (11% decrease) and increased vascularity (by 100% and 89%, respectively) compared with vehicle (9% decrease). By various analyses, irritant side effects (erythema and scaling) were statistically significantly greater with 0.1% tretinoin than with 0.025% tretinoin. No significant changes occurred in any immunologic markers when tretinoin and vehicle treatments were compared.
CONCLUSIONS:

Tretinoin 0.1% and 0.025% produce similar clinical and histologic changes in patients with photoaging, despite significantly greater incidence of irritation with the higher concentration. The separation between clinical improvement and irritation suggests that mechanisms other than irritation dominate tretinoin-induced repair of photoaging in humans.
Very Happy

Yeap, but the other study states than even 0.25% could not be good. Only 0.1% Shock
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |