Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Paula Begoun & La Roche Posay
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
usa4040
5% products discount

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:27 am      Reply with quote
I looked on Beautypedia today and checked my sunscreen (LRP Fluid Extreme 50+). Here is what she had to say about it:

"At one point, the Anthelios sunscreens from La Roche-Posay were all about the UVA sunscreen ecamsule, better known as Mexoryl SX. This sunscreen skips the ecamsule and provides UVA protection with avobenzone. That’s fine, but what’s interesting is that not too long ago, L’Oreal, the company that owns La Roche-Posay, was denigrating avobenzone in favor of Mexoryl SX! Why they’re now using avobenzone is a mystery, but as far as this sunscreen product is concerned, it’s an overall dud. The base formula contains too much alcohol (alcohol causes free-radical damage, dryness, and irritation) and far too little of the beneficial extras (like antioxidants) you should be looking for in sunscreens. You’ll get broad-spectrum sun protection, but that’s about it. There are far too many sunscreens available that do not contain alcohol and that do contain antioxidants for you to waste your money on this poorly formulated product."

What do you guys think? I am very conflicted because I thought LRP sunscreen was supposed to be some of the best you could get in America. Thanks!
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I wish she would define what we are to understand under "too much alcohol". Even organic skin care formulators agree that 20% ethanol and lower is an insignificant irritant, even less irritating than benzoic acid or Optiphen (phenoxhyethanol). Also there are other ingredients, emollients and humectants in formulas that offset negative effects ethanol might have on skin. Personally I never found sunscreens with 'alcohol denat.' drying or irritating. On the other hand, toners that have much higher ethanol concentration are drying for me.
As far as La Roche Posay Anthelios goes, it's a very good and stable sunscreen, provided it's the formula for non-US market. Most recent non-US version includes Mexoryls SX, XL, Tinosorb S (which is superior to Mexoryls, due to higher stabilty and larger particle size) and titanium dioxide and minimal amounts of unstable avobenzone and radical generating octocrylene. Vitamin E and a plant extract as antioxidants. Avobenzone and octocrylene are part of Paula's own sunscreen filters, along with others I personally find undesirable, oxybenzone, homosalate, octisalate, all in high concentrations. I honestly doubt her sunscreens would hold up 120 min in sun. Anthelios lasts 240 minutes and looses less than 5% of the filter efficiently in UVA range, which brings Anthelios on same stability level as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.
US versions of Anthelios - I can't even talk about those. Just as dreadful as Paula's sunscreens, but without all the redundant ingredients she considers to be useful for skin.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:42 am      Reply with quote
I agree with he part that you highlighted about alcohol. If you have resistant skin it probably won't be an issue though.

It has always disappointed me that LRP does have a high alcohol content (in the top 5) in their fluid and milk varieties of SS's.

LRP does provide proper sun protection. I don't think you need to worry about that part.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
You should look into her ingredient review page about alcohol. She references the sources she uses so you can always go to a library to check them out. The sources are usually more detailed about how much % was used in order to see an irritation
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:05 am      Reply with quote
I have looked at her glossary and perhaps I missed something, but it was incredibly disappointing information.
Top or end of ingredient list is at best a vague description of concentration. In some formulas 2nd ingredient would be as low as 5%, if that happens to be alcohol, then according to her logic that's a dangerous concentration?
Her references don't seem to be very informative, one is a new-age magazine, other refers to ingestion of alcohol, but topical application and two different things and same processes do not apply.
Searching Medscape for contact dermatitis and various alcohols I do not see the alarming data she suggests. Only that isopropanol is less irritating than sodium lauryl sulfate and various other tidbits.
I'd consider this a more believable source and it clearly contradicts Paula's claims: ncbi.nlm.nih (dot) gov/pubmed/18569160
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:16 am      Reply with quote
If its working for your skin then I wouldn't worry about. I think her point is that for most people alcohol based products are irritating which causes damage.
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:04 am      Reply with quote
If it works for you,continue using it. LRP sunscreens are some of the best chemical sunscreens on the market.

Paula's advice isn't always reliable!
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
How can a chemical sunscreen be considered to be the best one in America? Confused

And it's true, Paula is not the only one who thinks that a good sunscreen should contain a lot of antioxidants.

I use her Cellular Defense Daily Moisturizer SPF 25 and very satisfied. The physical protection is good for at least a couple of hours (of course, I do not use it on a beach) and contains a lot of soothing ingredients. I actually apply it right after dermarolling and it does not sting at all.

usa4040 wrote:
I am very conflicted because I thought LRP sunscreen was supposed to be some of the best you could get in America. Thanks!
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Paula's Cellular sunscreen has titanium dioxide as it's only filter unless it's typo. It doesn't provide anywhere near full long-UVA protection and the amounts of her almost random antioxidant choices will not compensate for that. Any of her chemical sunscreens with avobenzone would be an improvement over this. Unless Paula in her infinite wisdom has discovered how to coat titanium to outmatch protection provided by zinc oxide. In that case spectrometer print out and various publications would be appropriate. Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:34 am      Reply with quote
The product does provide adequate sun protection for an SPF50 sunscreen. Paula is right about the lack of antioxidants though as they have not only been proven to help provide further sun protection but help fight against free radicals. The alcohol content does sound rather high but if your skin isnt particularly sensitive it should be able to handle it. I would however look in to a few other products on the market before purchasing.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
Emmajayne

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:50 am      Reply with quote
I bought this product (the Antihelios) and it didn't suit my skin at all (fair and dry). It made me break out and I felt like I couldn't wash it off at night. I worry about chemical sunscreens, especially nano, but it's so difficult - I want to wear a screen and I don't want to be in hives or whitecast, and it often seems it's difficult to fill all those criteria. I thought this might be it after all the rave reviews but not for me, unfortunately Sad
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:28 am      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
If it works for you,continue using it. LRP sunscreens are some of the best chemical sunscreens on the market.

Paula's advice isn't always reliable!

If you can find a sunscreen that works for you AND has good UVA protection; stick with it.

I do buy some products from Paula's Choice. Paula is just one opinion and I prefer the advice on here and makeupalley over Paula.

I have been using the Canadian LRP Hydraphrase UV 30 for years.

http://well.ca/products/la-roche-posay-hydraphase-uv_3865.html

(This is from another site. I thought EDS sold LRP.)

It is available at Canadian drug stores. Another sunscreen I recommend is L'oreal Ombrelle faces spf 45. This is in tube and less $$.

I do wear my antioxtinates (vitamin C) in a serum under my SS product.

I don't recall Paula giving any sunscreen product other than her own a high rating. As she has her own cosmetic company; she is not objective. She does not like Mexoryl sunscreen filters/products in general and keep in mind L'oreal has the patent.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Emmajayne wrote:
I bought this product (the Antihelios) and it didn't suit my skin at all (fair and dry). It made me break out and I felt like I couldn't wash it off at night. I worry about chemical sunscreens, especially nano, but it's so difficult - I want to wear a screen and I don't want to be in hives or whitecast, and it often seems it's difficult to fill all those criteria. I thought this might be it after all the rave reviews but not for me, unfortunately Sad

It is very difficult to find a good sunscreen. Are you in the US or Canada?

What have you tried?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
PB is just telling you the truth. Do you want to save money or spend unnecessarily? Anything she recommends with a checkmark is worth looking into at Beautypedia and Facebook. LOVE her sunscreens. They are a beauty treatment on their own with all those great antioxidants.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
PB is just telling you the truth. Do you want to save money or spend unnecessarily? Anything she recommends with a checkmark is worth looking into at Beautypedia and Facebook. LOVE her sunscreens. They are a beauty treatment on their own with all those great antioxidants.

I am glad you like Paula's sunscreens. I think there is better formulated sunscreens out there. The sunscreen I mentioned (Ombrelle for faces spf 45) is less $$ than PC and highly rated on makeupalley.

Paula is just one opinion. She also wants to promote her line. I like to read more than one opinion and from someone(s) that is objective. The ladies here (and MUA) actually try the product for themselves and also they have no motive to sell you their line.

Paula will often rate products on the ingredient list only.

Just my two cents...

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |