Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Tretinoin Uncovers previous Acne Scars?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jdmeg6

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:29 am      Reply with quote
I'm 7 weeks into treatment with tretinoin , first 4 weeks i was using .1% cream, 5th and 6th week i switched to .01% gel. Now 7th week i am on .1% gel

I switched because the cream was making me more oily and greasy, went to the doc asked for the gel, he prescribed be .1% gel tretinoin but pharmacy didn't have that. They only had .01%. the gel was deffinetly better for my acne prone face.

I used the gel for tweeks weeks saw little approvement with the .01% , my face did felt better not greasy or oily. since i tolerated the .1% cream with little side affects, i thought i got ahead an order .1% gel tretinoin from ADC.

I just received the .1% gel and started using it for few nights. im not breaking out but i am seeing a lot of previous acne scars.

Is this suppose to happen? does tretinoin uncover old acne scars? i never seen these scars when i was on the .1% cream for 4 weeks. How long untill these scars will subside, what can i do to help fade these old scars or better what can i do to stop the uncovering of these old acne scars?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:46 am      Reply with quote
First I would like to say that you shouldn't be expecting results after 2 weeks. It takes several weeks of nightly use to start to see improvement. You can best evaluate at 12 weeks if its helping or not.

Could you describe a little more as to what you are seeing? Are you seeing red marks or indentations?

I would not use any other active products to try to treat what you are seeing. The gel because it is an alcohol base is a little stronger then the cream. The alcohol increases the penetration. You may tolerate it fine at first and then sometimes out of the blue you will have lots of irritation.

Are you using a sunscreen daily?
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Indeed, results with Retin-A can take up to a year to see any real differences, so you might want to be a bit more patient with it.
jdmeg6

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:51 am      Reply with quote
I am seeing light red marks where previous acne scars were and supposely healed. no indents, no pitted scars. just red brownish marks. Im using tretinoin for acne.

i havent been using any sunscreen for the whole 7 weeks i've been on treatment with tretinoin. I dont spend much time out in the sun unless im driving to and from work. I did just ordered Elta MD suncreen tho.

Would sunscreen help clear the red marks.

Im 27 y/o male i dont know a whole lot about facial skin care, and my sister isnt a big help at all. I came here from acne.org to try and find better advice .
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
jdmeg6 wrote:
I am seeing light red marks where previous acne scars were and supposely healed. no indents, no pitted scars. just red brownish marks. Im using tretinoin for acne.

i havent been using any sunscreen for the whole 7 weeks i've been on treatment with tretinoin. I dont spend much time out in the sun unless im driving to and from work. I did just ordered Elta MD suncreen tho.

Would sunscreen help clear the red marks.

Im 27 y/o male i dont know a whole lot about facial skin care, and my sister isnt a big help at all. I came here from acne.org to try and find better advice .

When using tretinoin, sunscreen is an absolutely MUST. Tretinoin initially thins the top layer of your skin so this may be why you're noticing the redness and scarring a bit more. However, it's also working in the deeper layers of your skin to help repair and rebuild. Like others have indicated, it's not a quick fix. It can take 6-12 months of continued use to really see the effects.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck jdmeg6 - it will be worth it! You definitely go thru a phase of thinking things are worse. I think from what you are seeing it's because you are using the gel and as mentioned it is in an alcohol base and alcohol is very drying.

Personally, I cant recall ever having old scars come thru but then I never used the gel all over my face. I prefer the cream and just use the gel for spot treatment - literally, I will just use it on spots/zits otherwise my face would be shredding off in sheets as I find the gel over-exfoliates my skin.

Definitely always use a sunscreen because as I mentioned to someone else, UV is all around us, not just when we are in the sun. It is in low dose being emitted from lights at home, work, shops, computer monitors - like I said it's low dose but it's constant.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |