Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retin-A vs Retin-A Micro
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:25 am      Reply with quote
Can anyone tell me what their experiences have been with Retin-A versus Retin-A Micro?

I've been a long-time user of Retin-A but I only use it intermittently. I've always had fairly good results with it using to for anti-aging, zit annihilation, etc.

But I'm wondering if it is worth trying Retin-A Micro? Is it better or much of a muchness?

Any thoughts, opinions, etc would be helpful... Smile
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
If your skin is reacting well to the regular Retin A, then stick with that - it's a lot cheaper (no longer on patent protection).

Retin A Micro is newer (so, more expensive) and is geared for those who have sensitive skin to Retin A as it is microencapsulated. The micro part lets it work on a time released basis so it has less irritation.

They have the same main ingredient, just a different method of delivery.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thank-you foxe Very Happy really appreciate your feedback! Retin-A Micro may be just what I need - I have to buffer regular Retin-A with moisturizer or oils otherwise it tends to be qute aggressive on my skin - so I think I like the idea of time release... Wink
Platinumskincare
5% products discount

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Glamcat wrote:
Can anyone tell me what their experiences have been with Retin-A versus Retin-A Micro?

I've been a long-time user of Retin-A but I only use it intermittently. I've always had fairly good results with it using to for anti-aging, zit annihilation, etc.

But I'm wondering if it is worth trying Retin-A Micro? Is it better or much of a muchness?

Any thoughts, opinions, etc would be helpful... Smile
I have used the regular RetinA as well as the newer version of RetinA Micro. I definitely like the Micro much better than the regular. It is a bit drying - so I only use it about 3x per week, but it is excellent for improving your acne. I alternate it with a Retinol Molecular .10% Serum or Benzyl Peroxide 5% on the other days. This keeps my acne under control and I don't end up with excessive peeling (like I would by using the Micro every day). Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
I peeled like crazy the first week I used the Retin A Micro .10. It took a while, but my skin eventually adjusted and settled down. It takes a special touch to apply, though. Don't apply 'dots' all over and then rub in. Instead, apply a dot to one area, rub in and move on to the next. I find it will leave a film if I apply too much or don't get it rubbed in enough.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for responses Very Happy I really do like the sound of the Retin-A Micro.

I'm going to attempt placing an order with ADC today - the first and only time I tried they charged my card twice, then I had to get them fix that and they accidentally totally cancelled my order - but then I read some neg feedback about them and thought maybe this was a good omen? Laughing But anyhoo, I'll give them another go.

I dont have a huge concern with acne - I just get a few hormonal spots - I just really want to try to address the texture of my skin - which used to be awesome and beautiful but it got really messed up from badly done laser - and ironically laser is supposed to leave one with better textured skin - but not me! Confused
Platinumskincare
5% products discount

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Glamcat wrote:
Thanks so much for responses Very Happy I really do like the sound of the Retin-A Micro.

I'm going to attempt placing an order with ADC today - the first and only time I tried they charged my card twice, then I had to get them fix that and they accidentally totally cancelled my order - but then I read some neg feedback about them and thought maybe this was a good omen? Laughing But anyhoo, I'll give them another go.

I dont have a huge concern with acne - I just get a few hormonal spots - I just really want to try to address the texture of my skin - which used to be awesome and beautiful but it got really messed up from badly done laser - and ironically laser is supposed to leave one with better textured skin - but not me! Confused
Hey, you know that RetinA was originally used as an acne medicine. Then, people started noticing that their lines were fading too (same with several acne meds) and it then became for antiaging as well. LOL. No matter what Vitamin A should be used everyday on everyone!!! Along with an antioxidant and also an exfoliation product. Then you are all set.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
Glamcat - you should also look into copper peptides. They are great to use post-laser and post-peels. They were originally designed for healing wounds and then they found out it worked great for improving texture and firming of the skin. There's a thread here on EDS on it:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=37752

I get my CPs from Skin Biology and they have a section dealing with Post Procedure skin. They actually have a lot of info on their website to read if you can get into all that.
http://www.reverseskinaging.com/postprocedure.html

5% products discount

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
Glamcat - you should also look into copper peptides. They are great to use post-laser and post-peels. They were originally designed for healing wounds and then they found out it worked great for improving texture and firming of the skin. There's a thread here on EDS on it:

I get my CPs from Skin Biology and they have a section dealing with Post Procedure skin. They actually have a lot of info on their website to read if you can get into all that.
Dr. Pickart's skin remodeling peptides are AMAZING!!! We sell them at our website as well. Mix with Emu oil to get a deeper penetration (since emu oil is transdermal) and to give a bit of moisture.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
hehehe... thanx for the tip! Wink and coincidentally I just ordered some of the Skin Biology CP's last week! Very Happy Just waiting for them to arrive - can sometimes take a little longer over here in Australia! but they should arrive any day now!

I have been using Osmosis Boost (CP's) which has helped a bit - in fact the whole Osmosis range is what actually saved my face after it seriously got totally destroyed by the laser. But I thought I'd step up and go with Skin Biology, start at the bottom and work my way up thru the range - I really hope they help. I'm 40 so I hope it's not too late to see improvement. The worst affected areas of my face are my upper cheeks which got badly scarred and the texture has been left in a dreadful state - and yet prior I had smooth flawless, poreless skin...

foxe wrote:

foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
It might take a while to see results, but don't give up. CPs are a slow process, for sure.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Ahhhh! Yes Smile I actually used RetinA in my late 20's to deal with pesky breakouts and noticed that my skin was much smoother and dewy - people asked what I'd been doing as they said my skin looked much younger! lol Have pretty much used it ever since, in moderation along with Osmosis Skincare.

Even now I dont have any wrinkles - it's just the scarring and messy skin texture that was caused by the laser that is my concern. I should post my full story somewhere on EDS as a warning to others so that they can really weigh-up the risks before considering any form of laser - ironically I had laser to treat what I was told was rosacea - but it left me with far greater problems than I previously had! Ends up I didnt even have rosacea but a severe allergy to all of the chlorine in our tap water Shock

Platinumskincare wrote:
Hey, you know that RetinA was originally used as an acne medicine. Then, people started noticing that their lines were fading too (same with several acne meds) and it then became for antiaging as well. LOL. No matter what Vitamin A should be used everyday on everyone!!! Along with an antioxidant and also an exfoliation product. Then you are all set.

Yes, see above post! Have ordered CP's - cant wait - and yes I do already use Emu Oil which my skin loves! It's just one of the most 'hydrating' products for my skin! Love it! Very Happy

Platinumskincare wrote:
Dr. Pickart's skin remodeling peptides are AMAZING!!! We sell them at our website as well. Mix with Emu oil to get a deeper penetration (since emu oil is transdermal) and to give a bit of moisture.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the encouragement! I really cant wait to use them! Very Happy I really do think they are my last hope! lol as I have tried everything else! It's really hard to describe what the laser did to the texture of my skin but it created this roughened texture and 'stripes' and skin that looks like it has 'rolling scars' - so bizarre and no one can tell me why but I've read many stories of other who people have experienced the same thing!

foxe wrote:
It might take a while to see results, but don't give up. CPs are a slow process, for sure.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
Glamcat wrote:
Thank you so much for the encouragement! I really cant wait to use them! Very Happy I really do think they are my last hope! lol as I have tried everything else! It's really hard to describe what the laser did to the texture of my skin but it created this roughened texture and 'stripes' and skin that looks like it has 'rolling scars' - so bizarre and no one can tell me why but I've read many stories of other who people have experienced the same thing!

wow! you poor thing. I do think the CPs should help you - esp w/ the texture problem. If you still have acne scars, you might want to look into the dermaroller thread. that combined w/ CPs can tackle bad acne scarring.

On the laser issues - I actually looked into doing that myself (for *some* texture improvement and overall toning/firming of the skin), BUT, I had read reviews on lasers and got scared off. That's when I discovered CPs and they totally turned my skin around. I started getting carded after using them and got many comments on how young people thought I looked.

I do hope you see improvement with them. They have a lot to choose from, and it might take a bit of trial and error to find which one helps the most. Some have a little bit of CPs in them, others a lot and some also have lipids (the creams) while some are serums. Too many choices, really. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Could anyone vouch that Retin-A normalized their oiliness and pore size?
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
RetinA certainly makes the skin dryer so I'm not sure but this could help with oiliness.

I've never had oily skin though really - when I was younger I definitely got a t-zone shine, mostly my nose. I tend to suffer from quite dry skin so I dont use too much RetinA as it will just exacerbate it - just getting it right is my biggest dilemma.

I used to have very refined pores and I'm not sure if this was from the RetinA or just my skin type - but my aforementioned laser disaster left my skin with horrible enlarged pores - so I'd like to know too if people have had luck refining their pores with RetinA... Wink
Platinumskincare
5% products discount

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:58 am      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
Glamcat wrote:

wow! you poor thing. I do think the CPs should help you - esp w/ the texture problem. If you still have acne scars, you might want to look into the dermaroller thread. that combined w/ CPs can tackle bad acne scarring.

On the laser issues - I actually looked into doing that myself (for *some* texture improvement and overall toning/firming of the skin), BUT, I had read reviews on lasers and got scared off. That's when I discovered CPs and they totally turned my skin around. I started getting carded after using them and got many comments on how young people thought I looked.

I do hope you see improvement with them. They have a lot to choose from, and it might take a bit of trial and error to find which one helps the most. Some have a little bit of CPs in them, others a lot and some also have lipids (the creams) while some are serums. Too many choices, really. Rolling Eyes

A little clearing up on the CP's. At Platinum we only carry the 2 basic serums and the SuperCop 2x (for scaring). The others are really just mixtures with many other ingredients that aren't really necessary (when you are using the CP's for only the REMODELING Copper benefit). I mean, why not stick with the basics and avoid all the confusion. You can mix the original CP Serum or Super CP Serum with Emu or any other type of product you are using to treat your skin issues. The 2X cream is only for SPOT treatments - especially for scaring (pitted, stretchmarks and the like).

We find just keeping with the basics is always the best option (in just about any type of ingredient). Use only what you actually need. Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Platinumskincare - that clears things up a bit - tnx!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
Ah I just saw this message foxe! Very Happy thanx for the support! yes, I was really conned by the nurses at the plastic surgeons clinic into having laser - I REALLY did not want to have laser at all but they convinced me that I needed for what they said was rosacea - they said having rosacea meant my skin was 'dysfunctional'! can you imagine how shocked I was when they said that? and I thought they would know better than me! Now I know it was just a con job!

So yes, stay away from lasers - I think CP's offer far greater hope. The damage done to my skin was so severe that my case is currently with a No Win No Fee lawyer who read everything about what happened to me, what was done, how I was conned, what happened after and how they (the clinic) neglected to help me when everything went pear-shaped - so this law firm agreed I had a very strong case -- not to mention the dermatologist the clinic eventually sent me to did stuff which compounded the problems and made it all worse - and he gave me meds that made me really sick, compromised my liver and I had a massive fibroid tumour grow as a result - it was a horror story! But I'm glad I have a good lawyer helping me!

foxe wrote:

Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
And last night I was doing some reading and I think what is now actually wrong with my skin is actually Scleroderma! and this diseases causes these skin textural problems that I now have! I knew that I had a severe immune system shock with everything that happened to me - so it makes sense that it is Scleroderma. I'll be discussing this with my skin specialist in a few weeks when I see her and ask her opinion and whether she needs to refer to me a GOOD dermatologist... Wink
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Glamcat wrote:
And last night I was doing some reading and I think what is now actually wrong with my skin is actually Scleroderma! and this diseases causes these skin textural problems that I now have! I knew that I had a severe immune system shock with everything that happened to me - so it makes sense that it is Scleroderma. I'll be discussing this with my skin specialist in a few weeks when I see her and ask her opinion and whether she needs to refer to me a GOOD dermatologist... Wink

Wow interesting... some of the symptoms seem to be what I am experiencing as well. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah have a good google Oasis on Scleroderma - I only came across it by mere chance! and I'm so relieved that I did because it finally makes sense - and at least if I have the correct diagnosis then I can treat appropriately instead of this hit & miss approach.

Read up on it and let me know if you think it's what you have also - it can affect any part of the body - it's connective tissue related - some people experience it internally, or it could be confined to specific areas of the skin. And as everything that has been done to my face was with the intention of boosting collagen production, it makes sense that it has actually been over-stimulated and is actually causing an adverse reaction!

oasisjc wrote:

Wow interesting... some of the symptoms seem to be what I am experiencing as well. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
Glamcat wrote:
Yeah have a good google Oasis on Scleroderma - I only came across it by mere chance! and I'm so relieved that I did because it finally makes sense - and at least if I have the correct diagnosis then I can treat appropriately instead of this hit & miss approach.

Read up on it and let me know if you think it's what you have also - it can affect any part of the body - it's connective tissue related - some people experience it internally, or it could be confined to specific areas of the skin. And as everything that has been done to my face was with the intention of boosting collagen production, it makes sense that it has actually been over-stimulated and is actually causing an adverse reaction!

oasisjc wrote:

Can you describe your signs? I'm not too sure if I have it, but the skin all over my body isn't exactly smooth? It's not raised with bumps or anything, but it does look like I can see individual cells. Sort of like a brick wall, almost, where you can see the lines between bricks.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:24 am      Reply with quote
Well my skin used to be super smooth all over my face - almost glass-like smooth and really glossy - and when I applied foundation it enhanced it - people constantly asked me what I used skincare wise.

Then after the second session of laser my skin went awful - it has been left really rough all over with weird scars (I only had a few chickenpox scars before) - the skin grows back all rough and flaky (like a build-up of excess skin) and I need to buff it off with micro-cloth or exfoliate every day. I have these weird undulations that look like rolling scars, I have these weird stripes thru my skin that look like I've had cat scratches thru my face, and my pores are really visible. I feel like if my skin was still super smooth that the rest of these flaws would be less noticeable... Sad

After the 2nd session of laser my skin was way over-stimulated as they only allowed 2 weeks between sessions and my entire face which was previously perfectly clear erupted entirely in cystic-like acne - prior to this my only breakouts were limited to a few small hormonal zits a month. I phoned the clinic and they told me to apply RetinA to each zit - I was pretty freaked out at this and I asked if they were serious and they said it was the only way - I told them how much RetinA dries out my skin and leaves it really sensitive unless I buffer it (with moisturizer) and I was told to apply it without any buffer. I was then told that with the dry flaking skin to gently buff it off in the shower - so I did this and much to my horror when I would get out of the shower and my face would be a big irritated red mess with shreds of skin hanging off. I was so distraught at the state of my face I could barely eat or sleep. Anyway doing what they told me to do made my face get really infected and the infection went really really deep. When I finally saw my doctor he freaked out telling me to go home and take photos so I could take legal action - he said he'd never seen anything like it and that my skin had become really infected - he couldnt believe what the plastic surgeons nurses had done to my face - he said "no more nurses touching your face!"

Anyway, this was almost 3 years ago and my face is still a mess - the acne is cleared but the scarring and rough skin texture are a nightmare. Now I wont have any photos taken. All of my facebook photos are at least 3 years old - but at least I've been able to show the lawyers lots of photos of my previously flawless skin as 'proof'.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:33 am      Reply with quote
Oasis, so your skin is the way you describe and I bet you have tried everything too like exfoliating, moisturizers, glycolics, natural oils, the whole she-bang?

I have really smooth skin everywhere else - but I've had a lot of repairative work done with a skin specialist - and I think this work which has all been to generate collagen production has actually been too effective!

I knew I had an immune system response from everything that happened including the meds the derm gave me because my whole health deteriorated and I had a lot of stuff go wrong - this was even after telling the nurses and the derm that I have a dodgy immune system and liver from being OD'd on meds as a child by a doctor -- I swear doctors and nurses are out to kill me! lol Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |