Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Straight Hair Turned Kinky
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:39 am      Reply with quote
Anybody had their smooth straight hair suddenly turn kinky? A couple of years ago my hair turned kinky all of a sudden and I also had a terrible sourish smell coming from my scalp. I am not sure if the 2 are related. The smell was so bad that I could smell it whenever a breeze blew or when I shook my head. Note that I wash my hair every single day and bathe twice a day, but I have a habit of going to bed when my hair has not dried completely.

The smell is now gone (for about 3 years) but my hair remains kinky. Not the entire head of hair but selected strands (say 10%). They grow wavy and kinky and when you run your fingers down the strand it is not smooth (the hair shaft seems to be flat not rounded at certain intervals). I thought it was dry and damaged hair at first due to rebondings and colorings, but conditioners and treatments have not had an effect.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:43 am      Reply with quote
The exact same thing happened to me a few years ago, but I did not experience any scalp or hair smell changes.

I am perimenopausal, so I have chalked it up to hormonal fluctuations - there really is no other cause.

Based on lots of forum advice on the web, I tried to manage it like you would hair damaged from heat styling or harsh detergents. In other words, I began to treat it very gently - conditioner washing, lots of deep conditioning, minimal styling, just fussing with it less and treating it like a fine silk cloth, lol.

***NOTHING**** worked. The cure did not match the problem. I have decided to try a straightening keratin solution - have not done it yet, but I plan to soon, because I can't stand the way my hair looks now. I miss my silky locks.

bfg
beauty mask
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:07 am      Reply with quote
have you try hair serum?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl,

I'm not sure if it's related to hormonal fluctuations but there has been a sharp increase in stress when you compare the period before and the period after the changes in hair texture. I don't think it has to do with how we're treating our hair either since only a certain % of strands have changed in texture. Add the fact that it even happens to new growth and i suspect that it has to do with damage of certain hair follicles. I just have no idea why.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:48 am      Reply with quote
Actually, yes.

My hair changed texture within months of the abrupt ending of my long term marriage. I was facing incredible stress and depression at that time.

I have since mostly recovered, but my hair is still the same Sad

I am anxious to try this new product I just purchased - Marcia Teixeira Soft - I am also a bit concerned that it will make my hair "too straight" if you know what I mean....I am looking for some body to remain in my hair.

bfg
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:04 am      Reply with quote
Ooh, i don't care if my hair becomes too straight Laughing I even considered rebonding it as rebonding makes my hair really silky and almost maintenance-free. However, that would just be covering up the problem (stress/ill-health etc) instead of correcting it.

Stress does cause a lot of unexpected and not well-understood symptoms. I even had had severe parathesia and joint/ muscle aches which i eventually linked back to stress.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:12 am      Reply with quote
hi again - what is "rebonding"?

Did you notice increased stress around the time your hair changed?

I do believe in the body-mind connection. I used to get hives whenever I faced intense stress. The hives were not related to anything else.

I hope you are resolving your issues?

bfg
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:48 am      Reply with quote
Rebonding is a process like the reverse of perming. Instead of curling your hair, they press it between a flat iron to straighten it. Makes the hair really smooth!

I guess I was facing increased stressed about that time, triple threat of family issues, relationship issues and work issues. Stress lasted 7 years and finally culminated in skin issues as well. I thought I was getting bitten by bugs but my house is super clean and I do not see anything that could have been biting me. I realised it gets worse when I get more stressed.

I guess certain stressors cannot be easily eliminated but I try to keep calm and not give in to paranoia and it helped a lot with the skin issues.
rmc7
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:10 am      Reply with quote
It sounds like you infected (probably yeast)those follicles, wich inturn became distorted since it went on for so long. When the follicle shape changes it will change the shape and texture of the hair shaft.
The reason I say yeast is you went to bed with a damp head, you were under stress,screws up your chemical balance,your scalp environment changed, damp,warm,dark...yeast loves it. Also you mentioned what appeared to be little red bumps you thought could have been bites, thet are often seen with a yeast infection.
If you have never used Nioxon I would go to Nioxon.com use the consult tool and see if you can get something for your scalp, or better yet get an online free consult with one of their experts.Their products have saved many of my friends,my family and myself I have been a hairdresser since 1967(retired now) and I have never used any product for hair or scalp problems like Nioxon.
If you have tried this and it didn't help you should see a dermatologist.
From now on don't go to bed with wet hair!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi rmc,

Are you saying that yeast has the ability to change hair texture?

I have never heard this before.

bfg
rmc7
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Hi rmc,

Are you saying that yeast has the ability to change hair texture?

I have never heard this before.

bfg

No, not the yeast itself, but if the follicles were damaged by whatever means it is possible to change the hair texture or color in that portion of the scalp.So yeast causing the damage or even being the cause of the problem is nothing more than a guess.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
rmc7,

Yes, I do not dare go to bed with damp hair anymore Bad Grin Hmm, candida might be something worth looking into. My symptoms do match somewhat.

I still think that it's just severe anxiety and stress though, since I have a neurotic neighbour who bangs the wall very loudly at all times of the day, even now at 3am, and makes me jump if I'm caught unawares! And I can't afford to move out for the next 2-3 years Sad

I'm currently using products with tea tree oil and triclosan for my hair and body though. I've read it does help for fungal infections.
rmc7
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
Whatever it was i'm sure stress was the root cause. I am always extra caucious of vitamins,diet,rest and fluid intake when under stress. Be extra careful. Tea tree oil is excellent. Monostat and lamasil can also be used on various body parts even though they were not intended for them.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Based on everything I've read online, it's most likely hormonal changes (which can be caused by stress and other things). Notably, it's excessive androgens that can cause kinky, wirey hair to grow in women. It started happening to me at age 27...a few random hairs on my head. I have smooth wavy hair everywhere else.

"Acquired Progressive Kinking of Hair" is the term used and it can sometimes be related to a hair loss problem if it runs in your family. But if you don't have hair loss, don't worry. The way to treat the kinking is with anti-androgens. I haven't tried that because mine isn't that bad. I might try keeping my stress levels down and meditating more often before taking any hormone blockers.

My mom said her hair completely changed when she was pregnant. She had straight hair, and now her hair is coarse and kinky (I've seen photos). So it's possibly it runs in my family, or just when you have an androgen-related event.

More on it here:
hairscientists.org/hair-shaft-defects/kinking-hair
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:42 am      Reply with quote
My hair used to be straight. Now I have curly hair all around the middle of my head. Sad The top and the bottom is still straight. It's a real "pita"!!!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
I had straight hair and then after my son was born it went wavy (prone to frizzness). As he is almost 18; my hair is still is wavy.

I do miss my straight hair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
chloes wrote:
Anybody had their smooth straight hair suddenly turn kinky? A couple of years ago my hair turned kinky all of a sudden and I also had a terrible sourish smell coming from my scalp. I am not sure if the 2 are related. The smell was so [b]bad[/b] that I could smell it whenever a breeze blew or when I shook my head. Note that I wash my hair every single day and bathe twice a day, but I have a habit of going to bed when my hair has not dried completely.

The smell is now gone (for about 3 years) but my hair remains kinky. Not the entire head of hair but selected strands (say 10%). They grow wavy and kinky and when you run your fingers down the strand it is not smooth (the hair shaft seems to be flat not rounded at certain intervals). I thought it was dry and damaged hair at first due to rebondings and colorings, but conditioners and treatments have not had an effect.

My guess is the smell could be from damp hair. For example; if you have pile of damp towels or clothes left in a corner; it could develop that damp almost mildewy smell. But if have a damp towel hanging up so it gets air and dries; it does not seem to happen.

I think it is possible that very thick hair that takes a while to dry could stay damp for a while.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |