Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Are nylons/pantyhose a "don't" ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:21 am      Reply with quote
With the fall coming and so many cute skirts and dresses out...I'm wondering if nylons/pantyhose have fallen out of fashion?

I know I can wear tights with cute shoes or boots - but if the skirt/dress calls for a pump or just wouldn't look right with colored hose, are nylons an option?

I was looking at a couple of clothing websites (i.e. The Gap) and they have several cute skirts and dresses for fall and it doesn't look like any of the models are wearing hose... I have ghostly white legs too!

Opinions?

Maria Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:15 am      Reply with quote
I think it is regional and personal. If one's legs are in need of some help...I say get natural nice looking stockings. It is better than veiny or ghost white legs. Just get a good quality sheer hose with just the right natural look. I also think older women can get away with wearing stockings...don't think the younger girls are into them at all.
You could also get Sally Hansens spray tan in a can... I think it is called liquid stockings or something. I spray that on my legs and blend it in with my hands...it looks great. I even use it on the rest of my body too. There are three shades. Look for it at walgreens.
Deheune
5% products discount

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Some of the sheer styles make it hard to tell whether you are wearing hosiery or not. And apparently they can't keep them on the shelves in the UK since Princess Catherine is "required" to wear them according to the royal dress code.

I've always worn hosiery - sometimes regular support hose and for a year prescription strength compression hosiery. Boggled my mind that prescription hose even existed!! I'd say I'm in the minority for wearing substantial hose at work, but there are definitely others wearing sheer styles.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
No hosiery for me - I don't even like socks unless it is brutal cold. (tights are ok Laughing )

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
Deheune wrote:
they can't keep them on the shelves in the UK since Princess Catherine is "required" to wear them according to the royal dress code.

There is no Princess Catherine. Here is an interesting article about the several titles the royal couple now have
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-wedding/8482573/Prince-William-and-Kate-Middletons-new-titles-revealed.html
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:47 am      Reply with quote
I remember a time when it wasn't appropriate to wear a dress or skirt without pantyhose! lol and I was born in the 70's!

They do seem to be coming back into style - but I think the great thing about fashion and style is that you can create your own style do your own thing - you would be surprised how many people with be impressed with your 'flare' and will copy! Wink
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Why it happend in the first place, I'll never know. Who started the hoseless look so long ago anyway? You have to have flawless skin to pull the look off. Besides in an office environment or bank, law offices, it just wouldn't do. Legs look so much better with a nude sheer hose on them.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:58 am      Reply with quote
My mom and I just had this conversation about 2 days ago.

She can't believe anyone would go without hose. I get the eye roll quite often...

I'm of the opinion if you're in a CASUAL situation, wearing casual clothes... you don't need them. And PLEASE don't wear them with open toed shoes.

However, if you're in a professional enviroment, a suit, or in evening wear, they finish the look...

We heavily debated whether a cocktail dress required hose...we could only agree on certain points...

I don't know when the change happened. It seems when I was in high school that hose were kicked off the cheerleading squad... and even that was a big debate...

And for whatever reason, Tights are ALWAYS ok... skirt, tights, kneeboots... Not really a "pro" look, but cute none the less...

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
I think they can look sexy and really don't care what people think actually. Yeah I saw that about Kate Middleton, she's wearing 60$ hose though.................mine aren't that expensive.

I agree not many people past 35 have perfect flawless legs......

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have not worn hosiery for years. Honestly I prefer my legs bare and haven't even given it a thought about whether I should or shouldn't, so this discussion is making me think. I'm going to have to start looking around at what people are doing at work. Still not wearing hose myself though Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
I wear nylons or tights when I feel like it- even with shorts sometimes too!

I usually like sort of nylons or tights that have some texture.
I find the plain beige or black nylons do not appeal to me.

The brand Dim is really nice and for plainer nylons I used to buy Givenchy as they have one kind that has a nice light gold shimmer in it- it looks nice during daytime too.

I also happen to like the style of wearing socks with high heels, like pumps sometimes.
But not plain socks.
I have some "fancy" socks that look very nice:

http://www.ozonesocks.com/sheer-lattice.html

I don't know if it is a generation thing or what? I happen to be 34.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Urgh I can't bear how they feel on, plus - sheer nylon tights never seem to fit on the body on me (I can pull them upto my armpits if I get them long enough in the legs, 'hold up' stockings generally don't and suspender belts are so uncomfortable and show under sleek clothing.

And I just hate the feel of nylon on my skin. <shudders>. But then I hate tights of any variety. (I have very sensitive skin).

If I have to 'get my legs out' then its fake tan (usually the gradual build of colour variety) as I'm fair.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |