Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
suzanne somers "Breakthrough"
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:28 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone read this?
I have just started and wondered what everyone here thinks of it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
I've read The Sexy Years and Ageless. What is Breakthrough about? If it's good I'll look for it at the library.
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:39 am      Reply with quote
its about her 8 steps to health and well being.
I think its structured like ageless in that she has a whole load of interviews with differing antiaging docs in it.
Its really quite good although I dont think I would go as far as daily injections and regular IV infusions of Vits!

I am learning a lot, I think theres bits you need to take a pinch of salt with but otherwise a good read for self improvement and anti aging.

Unfortunately I live in the UK and this is all seem as rather extreme over here!

I mean I think when I mention Bioidentical Hormones to my GPS they will ask which pharma company makes them or dont be silly you dont need them!

Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:00 am      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
Has anyone read this?
I have just started and wondered what everyone here thinks of it?

I read Suzanne's "Ageless, The Naked Truth About Bioidentical Hormones" book and it was Suzanne who sparked my interest in hormones. I am loving being on HRT - the journey to wellness has been like being on a rollercoaster, but my 'recipe' is finally working for me. Please have a look through this web-site before embarking on any BHRT regime.

http://rhythmicliving.org/?page_id=3
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:

Unfortunately I live in the UK and this is all seem as rather extreme over here! I mean I think when I mention Bioidentical Hormones to my GPS they will ask which pharma company makes them

You can get bioidentical oestrogen in patch form. Estradot is one brand, as well as Estraderm and a few others -- as long as it is don't use the combi patches which have synthetic progesterone (progestagen, progestin) which makes most people sick and gain weight. I heard you can buy natural progesterone gel over the counter in France. You might be able to get it from your doctor in the UK as plenty of UK women take it. Prometrium is a capsule but I found it too strong and it make me very sleepy. Sadly, you have to be the one to educate your doctors.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
10Sylvia5 wrote:

Unfortunately I live in the UK and this is all seem as rather extreme over here! I mean I think when I mention Bioidentical Hormones to my GPS they will ask which pharma company makes them

You can get bioidentical oestrogen in patch form. Estradot is one brand, as well as Estraderm and a few others -- don't use the combi patches which have synthetic progesterone (progestagen, progestin) which makes most people sick and gain weight. I heard you can buy natural progesterone gel over the counter in France. You might be able to get it from your doctor in the UK as plenty of UK women take it. Prometrium is a capsule but I found it too strong and it make me very sleepy.

Your doctor should start you on low doses of both, then a month later do a blood draw to check your levels and see how you feel. Sadly, you have to be the one to educate your doctors.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
As much as I appreciate Suzanne Somer's effort to bring BHRT to the public, I am no longer convinced she is a health expert or can really help middle aged people other than to take BHRT and tons of supplements. That is all she suggests over and over in her books. Managing health at mid life is a delicate balance of right diet, exercise, bhrt, stress management (which often is effortless on the right diet/exercise program) etc. She does not mention in any of her books the fact that you had better exercise like a maniac if you want to take that many hormones. SS got a hyperplasia on the Wiley Protocol and had her uterus removed..... Rolling Eyes
packratmack
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:38 am      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
She does not mention in any of her books the fact that you had better exercise like a maniac if you want to take that many hormones.

Can someone please explain this? I am really curious as to why you would have to exercise more? Thanks.
HippoMe
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:25 am      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
... SS got a hyperplasia on the Wiley Protocol and had her uterus removed.....

Gretchen, Suzanne Somers did not get hyperplasia while on the Wiley Protocol, here is a quote from her own blog " ... Shortly after I had my hysterectomy, I discovered ‘rhythmic cycling’ created by T.S. Wiley" - bold is mine. http://www.suzannesomers.com/Blog/?tag=/menopause

I have been on HRT for almost 4 years now and I do not "exercise like a maniac". My weight has remained constant, in fact I have lost a few kgs this year as a result, I think, of upping my estrogen dose.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
I don't exercise any more than I ever have and haven't gained weight. When I eat too much I gain weight. I think if you don't use any hormones at all you will get fat.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Check out Wiley's Wiki page for updates.....it is telling.

I am still taking BHRT, but do not consider S. Somers to be a definitive source. I consider her to be *one* source of information.

bfg
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Wiley's protocol seems a bit extreme. I would like my hormone levels to be that of a 35 year old not a twenty-something. I've been meaning to go online to see what that level would be and compare it to my last blood test. I think I could use a bit more estrogen.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Um, no Suzanne got a *severe* hyperplasia after about a decade on bioidentical hormones and subsequently had her uterus removed.

http://www.suzannesomers.com/Blog/?tag=/menopause

This worked for me for about 10 years. Everything was great; I felt great, was sleeping, had a sex drive, my weight was good. And then it started to fall apart. My sleep became interrupted; I was hot flashing; my sex drive went away, and I started bleeding….here and there at first and then after about a year of bleeding daily and sometimes heavily, it became unbearable. At the time my doctor was Dr. Diana Schwarzbein, who would increase my estrogen by little bits, but the problem kept getting worse. I couldn’t find that ‘sweet spot’ that I had enjoyed for a decade. I kept complaining to my doctor that I wasn’t feeling great. Then I had a pap smear and it showed hyperplasia, severe hyperplasia. That meant having my uterus removed. The continual build-up in the endometrial lining from the static dosing had created hyperplasia which is pre-pre-cancer. Not cancer, but a prelude, and the thinking is to remove the evidence (uterus).

The point about exercising intensely when using bioidentical hormone replacement has to do with properly *metabolizing* the estrogen, not to prevent weight gain. I use bhrt, I'm not against it.

If you use bhrt, exercise. Don't be stupid like Suzanne Somers. :----)

http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/news/20030123215938_health_news.shtml

HippoMe wrote:
gretchen wrote:
... SS got a hyperplasia on the Wiley Protocol and had her uterus removed.....

Gretchen, Suzanne Somers did not get hyperplasia while on the Wiley Protocol, here is a quote from her own blog " ... Shortly after I had my hysterectomy, I discovered ‘rhythmic cycling’ created by T.S. Wiley" - bold is mine. http://www.suzannesomers.com/Blog/?tag=/menopause

I have been on HRT for almost 4 years now and I do not "exercise like a maniac". My weight has remained constant, in fact I have lost a few kgs this year as a result, I think, of upping my estrogen dose.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
I had a hysterectomy before using hormones. I use estradiol (patch) for four weeks, then progesterone the last two weeks of that cycle. Sometimes I might stop everything for a few days or a week in case I was taking too much and then start that schedule again. So far so good.
packratmack
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:18 am      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:

The point about exercising intensely when using bioidentical hormone replacement has to do with properly *metabolizing* the estrogen, not to prevent weight gain. I use bhrt, I'm not against it.

If you use bhrt, exercise. Don't be stupid like Suzanne Somers. :----)

Finally, someone answered my question. Thank you.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Suzanne Somers does yoga (she can do headstands) and has an organic vegetable garden. Not sure what other exercise she does.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
Suzanne Somers does yoga (she can do headstands) and has an organic vegetable garden. Not sure what other exercise she does.

Apparently not the kind that would have prevented breast cancer. Very Happy
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hey there,

Wanted to point you to a thread I put up a while back about preventing cancer. Has a video I think you'll enjoy. Watch at least the first 10 minutes before you decide it's too long...K?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=38719&highlight=cancer

Aside from that. I think SS has def. helped in opening the eyes of people with regard to alternatives. She's obviously not a medical prof. never claimed to be. Who doesn't know her as the ding bat from 3's company!

I have her breakthrough book... as many of you know my mom is now officially a Breast Cancer survivor! So we've not got out an extra eye on anything that will/might help prevent cancer and such.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:16 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Hey there,

Wanted to point you to a thread I put up a while back about preventing cancer. Has a video I think you'll enjoy. Watch at least the first 10 minutes before you decide it's too long...K?

Dr. David Servan-Schreiber died of brain cancer on July 24, 2011. He was 50.

http://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/archives/2011/july/july25_servanschreiberobituary.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Gretchen, just to clarify. In your previous post you said "SS got a hyperplasia on the Wiley Protocol and had her uterus removed." This is not correct. She was using 'static' dosing which resulted, she claims, in hyperplasia. After her hysterectomy she then started on the "rythmic cyclic" created by T.S Wiley.

I don't want to belabour the point, but there is a vast difference between static dosing and rythmic cycling. The hormones she used on the static dosing were also bio-identical.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Hey there,

Dr. David Servan-Schreiber died of brain cancer on July 24, 2011. He was 50.

http://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/archives/2011/july/july25_servanschreiberobituary.html

That's very sad. So young. He fought that for a very long time. His cancer caused him, I believe to offer much to the cancer community.

May he rest in peace...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Ever since my mum had success with the Face Master she has been reading all of Suzanne's books, she was just that impressed with it and she also been very impressed with the knowledge she has learnt from the books. I also like the Face Master (In fact I purchased the Face Master for her as she had been spending to much at the dermatologists) we are now both fans of Suzanne and further down the tack I'll most likely look into Bio Identical Hormones. She will be interested to hear there is another book she hasn't read.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
HippoMe wrote:
Gretchen, just to clarify. In your previous post you said "SS got a hyperplasia on the Wiley Protocol and had her uterus removed." This is not correct. She was using 'static' dosing which resulted, she claims, in hyperplasia. After her hysterectomy she then started on the "rythmic cyclic" created by T.S Wiley.

I don't want to belabour the point, but there is a vast difference between static dosing and rythmic cycling. The hormones she used on the static dosing were also bio-identical.

I understand that Suzanne got the hyperplasia on a static dose of BHRT. That doesn't change the fact that she still doesn't seem to entirely understand what caused her cancer.

I like Suzanne and have read many of her books. The info is good. However, tt seems like she doesn't know much about anti aging except that one day you start taking supplements and using creams.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
In the latest edition of Life Extension magazine, Suzanne talks about how she restored her radiation deflated post-cancer breast by using stem cells. Quite fascinating reading. I predict this will make breast implants obsolete. I wonder what it will cost when it's approved by the FDA.

She also said how stem cells gave her a nonsurgical neck lift.

I admire her for being a willing guinea pig for all of us!
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
In the latest edition of Life Extension magazine, Suzanne talks about how she restored her radiation deflated post-cancer breast by using stem cells. Quite fascinating reading. I predict this will make breast implants obsolete. I wonder what it will cost when it's approved by the FDA.

She also said how stem cells gave her a nonsurgical neck lift.

I admire her for being a willing guinea pig for all of us!

Yes have been reviewing the T.S. Wiley stuff and honestly, you'd have to eat perfectly, go to sleep in a totally dark room at 8 most of the year your whole life, and exercise the "right" way-- whatever that is!!-- to truly prevent the endocrinological changes that happen beginning in the 30s. Accelerated aging is just an unavoidable fact of modern life. Suzanne Somers is easy to criticize because she focusses so heavily on hrt and not prevention but aging is not as preventable as we have been led to believe. It all gets a lot clearer if you listen to T.S. Wiley or read any of her books. SS has done a great job bringing this info to the public, even if she herself is not an icon of prevention.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |