Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I seem to have aged quickly, help?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Jahzie

Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all Smile
Ah, where do I start? Well, I'm 42yrs old and the past few years I've been very careful about looking after my skin especially as I spend a lot of time outdoors and I also have some sun damage from my younger years, I had a hysterectomy 10 months ago, not a total, I still have my ovaries, my skin seems to have really aged since the op, I did have complications and was quite ill afterwards for some time, I guess my main concern is although I'm trying to do the best for my skin, wrinkles and lines just keep appearing, some literally over night, I must be doing something wrong.
The main brand I use is Medik8, it's especially formulated for sensitive skin which I have, I use a cleanser, CE serum, low dose retinol, spf moisturiser etc.
I have also recently given up smoking as I know that wouldn't have done me any favours, in fact I got up one morning and was horrified by what I saw in the mirror and haven't had a ciggie since lol.
I always though I was a bit on the oily side but was told I have dry skin recently, can you have dry skin and still experience blackheads?
Perhaps I've been using the wrong products? As we have just come out of Winter here my skin always looks ordinary in the colder weather, I have horses so I'm outside alot regardless of the season.
My skin actually seems to look a bit better when I don't use a C serum regardless of what brand it is, this probably sounds ridiculous but could a C serum be what is causing me to age so quickly? Lol, I'm just feeling very lost about it all at the moment and would appreciate some words of wisdom and any skin care help from the more experienced, please Smile
Jahzie

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
And also the right side of my face looks to be worse than the left side Confused go figure, lol
bordnfl2
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
I woke up one day and actually looked at myself like I'd never done before and almost had a stroke. From that day forward I've taken my skin a lot more seriously. I find what they say is true, that what works for one doesn't work necessarily for me.

I love C serum but being that I make do-it-yourself, I upped the percentage and then paid the price for it being too strong so I went back to the original formulation. I do get compliments from some saying I look good for my age but some people say those things even when it's not true so instead, I take a good hard look myself and continue to do the best I can.

I've decided to go the natural route unlike my sis who had a facelift. She looks great but I look okay too these days. I think the Retin A, C and all the other stuff I try is holding things at bay and in some respects making some improvements.

Just move forward and go with your instincts but instead of eliminating some things, back off on the amount or usage. If that does not help, try something else. We're all different so it is always possible the C Serum you're using is just not that good a match for your skin type.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I'll write more later when I have more time, but go easy on yourself - dont forget your body is healing from major major surgery and this will have a temporary aging effect as your body is diverting as many nutrients as possible to the areas that need to be healed.

The skin is the last beneficiary of the nutrients we ingest - so make sure you increase your intake of vitamins and protein, EFA's, etc.

Like I said, I'll write more later when I have time, but rest assured that things should improve once your body has fully recovered Wink

Blessings... x
Jahzie

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much sweet ladies for your replies.
I guess I'm just freaking out a bit as here 18 months ago everyone used to think I was only around 34 and to be honest my skin was in pretty good condition besides the smoking.
The op did take a lot out of me, I couldn't walk properly for 6 weeks, I developed infections and blood clots, I also lost a few kilos which probably doesn't sound much but when you're already under weight it really knocks you around.
I do have to be careful what I use because of my sensitivity, I even react to toothpaste Laughing
I also read too many beauty forums where women rave on about a product so I simply must try it to see if I can get good results as well but I'm guessing I'm not the only one to do that Embarassed
My diet isn't that crash hot but I have been working on it, I also don't take any supplements as I am a bit skeptical about their efficiacy, may I ask what EFA's are?
Considering that though, I have given up smoking and I now eat breakfast even if I don't eat it until lunch time Laughing I'm reasonably active and 98% of the time I do have a positive out look.
bordnfl2
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Jahzie, I think we tend to be our own worst critics. You probably are just adjusting to some changes including the surgery. Just know that you've started on an awesome adventure with your skin and it's truly amazing with all the information out there. I have the feeling your going to be really pleased and just look back at this time as the beginning of your journey.

I've come to the conclusion that the best thing I can do it put on a good smile. It lifts my face and my spirit. Take care and have a great day.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
EFA's = Essential Fatty Acids - they are essential to obtain from food/supplements - hence the word ESSENTIAL because the body cant make them itself... EFA's are Omega 3, 6, 9 - but most people get too much 6 & 9 - which is actually bad and not enough Omega 3 which you get from fish oil, chia seeds, various others but fish oil tablets are the most valuable source... Wink

There are other EFA's but that's a start - like getting good quality olive oil and organic coconut oil are also a good start for healthy oils too.
Jahzie

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
bordnfl2, you are correct, I am my own worst critic, I moan to my OH quite frequently about my skin and often point out new lines and wrinkles and he says he's just not seeing what I see but I do scrutinise my skin in the worst light possible, you know how your skin can look flawless in some light and other lights just show every little line and flaw, perhaps I should do that and only look in the best light Laughing Thank you for your lovely post, I'm smiling, you have a good day too!

Thank you Glamcat, EFA's = Essential Fatty Acids, I should've known Rolling Eyes I will look in to those, I'm not really a fish person so the tablets would be better for me I think, I also use olive oil too so that's a start, I feed my horses chia seeds, it's funny but my animals have very good diets but I neglect myself.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
This sounds like what happened to me. I think it would be a good idea to have your hormones checked. It's not just the ovaries that produce hormones, the uterus itself produces hormones as well. And the combination of stress and the operation may have caused a quick onset of menopause.
CBeet

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
Oily fish has masses of the good fats which are really important. Try eating Salmon or Mackeral a couple of times a week. Plus do some gentle exercise like yoga, swimming and walking to relieve stress.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:03 am      Reply with quote
I know a few people who had their uterus removed, and even though their ovaries were retained they still suffered from early menopause despite their doctors telling them they wouldn't! ggrrr... doctors annoy the hell out of me because they never tell you of the potential outcomes and side effects because then you may decide against the surgery if it's optional (not life threatening) - and if you decided against it then they're not making money! I can tell you now that doctors do not tell patients what is in the patients best interest - they tell the patient what is in the best interest of the doctors bank account! Confused

Sorry to be so cynical but I've suffered at the hands of doctors and I've learned that I need to do a lot of research to find the full 200% facts because the doctors were lucky to have told me 1% !!!
Jahzie

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:40 am      Reply with quote
Gee, I never even thought of that, it just didn't occur to me because I still have my ovaries, the dr's didn't give me much information about after care at all really, put it this way I struggled through with the first infection for 5 weeks because all the pain I was dealing with I thought was just part of the healing process, I was only told not to lift any thing over 2kgs for 6 weeks and that I couldn't ride the horses for 12 weeks.
I have to see my dr in a couple of weeks so I'll talk to her about it and ask for some tests, my hormones may be ok but I'll have it checked for peace of mind anyway. Thanks very much everyone Very Happy
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Yeah I really researched everything about uterus removal / partial hysterectomy after my doctor and several others tried to convince me to have mine removed due to the growth of a very large fibroid. I'm a small person and this fibroid protruded out of my tummy so much making me look 5-6 months pregnant - not to mention all of the side effects and health problems it caused.

But I stood my ground and refused until I found a competent surgeon who could remove the fibroid whilst retaining my uterus -- I was terrified of having my uterus removed - my sister did (for different reasons) and her health plummeted, she had all sorts of complications. Plus I had read how the uterus is still important even if you dont plan on having any further children, as it plays a significant role in hormone balance - not to mention the stories I'd read on various forums of how women said they went into the surgery a young woman and came out feeling like an old lady - that scared the heck out of me! Neutral
Bermie2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I am definitely no expert on any of this but felt I had to reply

I had a hysterectomy about 15 months ago, I too still have my ovaries. My uterus and cervix where removed. I had suffered terribly for about 4 years before, I too had blood clots, I literally bled every single day for over 16 months, became aneamic? and generally felt crap!

I really didn't want to have the hysterectomy either but finally decided enough was enough. My surgery took 5 hours instead of 1 and a half! My surgeon was excellent. I had several huge fibroids, and he said it was a mess in there.

anyway long story short, it was the best thing I did. Recovery did take a long time, so don't be hard on yourself.
Regarding the skin, I would definitely have my hormones checked if I were you. I am using a progesterone cream (bio identical hormone, prescription only here in australia) and sometimes a little estrogen. I have only been using them about 2-3 months and I think they are helping. You really need to do ALOT of research on this though, but just thought I would mention it. Our bodies need hormones (the right kind of course!) and our skin needs them too.

Sunscreen is vitally important, a good antioxidant serum and moisturiser. I also use an LED light, CP's, and just started retin A. I feel since hitting 45 alot more effort is needed...lol!

I enjoy skincare, so like trying lots of things. I wish you the best with your skincare journey..x

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
hi,
i have really little time to post these days..but i was touched by your post..and wanted to add another perspective from a holistic (and traditional msdicine) viewpoint...

so from this perspective...

there are many tissues in our body that create estrogen.. in addition to the uterus/ovaries...especially our adrenal glands (which are the primary sources of post-menopausal estrogen creation in our bodies)...so if our adrenals are stressed/exhausted (a major dis-ease in modern culture..and especially with the physical/emotional stress you have gone thru w/the surgery/complications)..our adrenal glands are also most likely not functioning in a balanced/optimal way....

it is a modern theory(based on traditional medicine) that all our endrocine glands work together...like building blocks....when one endrocine gland isn't functioning well..all our hormones are affected.. pituitary/ thyoid, etc...which of course influences our aging..

BHRT is one way to go...butthere is a theory..that i believe is true...that when pharmacuetical hormones.. (and even bio-identical hormones ae created in a lab...they do not exist in nature like phyto-estrogens do for example)... the tisues in our body that create estrogen..like the tissues in our adrenal glands..stop creating them....it seems to me that thee ate times when one must use BHRT..thatthe benefits out weigh the negatives....but from this perspective it woul be wise to try other therapies first..

naturopathic or TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) or Wise Woman or Vitalist herbalists may be able to help.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Also want to add that all the drugs required for surgery... and the pain/complications afterwards... also take a toll on the body and its organ and energy systems..which of course, also potentially lead to aging... if not balanced....

for exampe the kidneys and liver are 'toxified' thru the drugs required for surgery...

and according to most traditional medicine (TCM is what i am most familiar with) these organs..and the energy systems connected with them...and the other organs and energy systems connected w/those energy systems/organs....are responsible in large part for our physical beauty as well as our physical health... so rebalancing/reactivating your body/organs/energy systems with acupuncture or massage or herbs will probably do much to help your 'youthening' process.

imo..if all this is new to you... best to see a qualified professional rather than trying to self heal the imbalances.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
Many doctors still go by old research that said you don't need progesterone if you don't have a uterus. New research says otherwise. You can buy ProGest cream from Whole Foods or online. It's bioidentical progesterone.
Jahzie

Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:57 am      Reply with quote
Wow, thanks everyone, what a wealth of information you all are, I'm really glad I posted this as I'm a lot more informed now than I was before hand.
Bermie2, I had the exact same problems, it started 11yrs ago after I had a tubal ligation, the last 6yrs were probably the worst and I tried all other options which didn't help, I must admit I feel fantastic now and even more so after giving up the ciggies, it's just my skin now that concerns me but you have all given me options here so I'll go with it and find something that's going to work for me.
Thank you everyone Very Happy
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of progesterone cream. But here in Australia I need to get a prescription from my doctor then go to a compounding pharmacy to have it made up and it's a complete rort! When I first started using it about 7 years ago for mild PMS it cost $25 for a small jar - fast forward 6 years and the last time I purchased it cost me $60 for exactly the same thing! Yikes! So I take Vitex most of the time and some Maca Powder when I think of it and I take the Nature's Way DIM Plus to help counteract excess estrogen and I tend to run slighlty estrogen dominant... Wink

SoftSkin wrote:
Many doctors still go by old research that said you don't need progesterone if you don't have a uterus. New research says otherwise. You can buy ProGest cream from Whole Foods or online. It's bioidentical progesterone.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Gosh Bermie - that's terrible! I'm so glad you are better now - I had 1 massive fibroid the size of a cantaloupe and it made my life hell! I bled almost constantly too! My doctor was constantly phoning me bugging me to have blood tests checking on my anaemia - then I'd have the tests, he'd phone me and say I was so low I should be dead! In the end I was having to take 3 iron tablets a day and I felt like I'd been hit by a bus 24/7!

The day after surgery, despite the pain I felt AMAZING! I felt like the fog had lifted and I felt human again and colour started coming back to my cheeks! Very Happy

So I can imagine the relief you experienced after your surgery if you had several large fibroids! That's insane! I think fibroids are a hidden, unspoken about epidemic - I felt this weird sense of shame while I had mine - not so much shame, but I felt isolated because I didnt know anyone else going thru what I was going thru and I felt as though I was being dragged thru hell! The pain, the bleeding, all of my internal organs were being crushed by this massive thing - my doc had to keep sending me for kidney checks too as it was crushing my kidneys, along with intestines, bowel, bladder! What a saga!

Bermie2 wrote:
My surgeon was excellent. I had several huge fibroids, and he said it was a mess in there.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Glamcat wrote:
Yeah I really researched everything about uterus removal / partial hysterectomy after my doctor and several others tried to convince me to have mine removed due to the growth of a very large fibroid. I'm a small person and this fibroid protruded out of my tummy so much making me look 5-6 months pregnant - not to mention all of the side effects and health problems it caused.

But I stood my ground and refused until I found a competent surgeon who could remove the fibroid whilst retaining my uterus -- I was terrified of having my uterus removed - my sister did (for different reasons) and her health plummeted, she had all sorts of complications. Plus I had read how the uterus is still important even if you dont plan on having any further children, as it plays a significant role in hormone balance - not to mention the stories I'd read on various forums of how women said they went into the surgery a young woman and came out feeling like an old lady - that scared the heck out of me! Neutral

Just to respond to the original post, my shocker was around 30. I did not see the youth and I'm fair and I wanted to take stronger action. My acne problem did not help and stress from home.

I think a good routine and paying attention to change of your skin is important.

I really appreciated your information on fibroids and not having the need to remove the uterus. If this is true, at some point in our life, don't they have to be removed?

I hope you have more information about this, because I am suffering with fibroids and as a result, have gained other problems. The idea to avoid surgery is my kind of music! I have heard that your body can react differently weather you have had children or not. I don't have children, but the doctor did tell me that if I did, it is possible that during the pregnancy, the fibroids can go away or get removed right after you give birth.

As for the shock on noticing age on your face, Jahzie, I think this would shock me also, but I rather be more mentally prepared for it and it is expected to happen to us eventually.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:25 am      Reply with quote
I had basically a combo of your stories and after having everything removed but ONE ovary, I woke up and my skin was years older!My doc did not believe in HRT, said I didn't need it. If I was told this would have happened to my skin, I would have said heck no, I won't go!
That's how/why I found this forum way back then. It has been a life changer as far as procedures and treatments go. Now, w/o serious attack, the fine lines are still there but I am not ready to all out yet at 49.
But I certainly empathize, finally lose the pain to get a quality of life and gain the wrinkles for me!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
I had a hysterectomy and it was the best thing ever. My cousin opted for fibroid removal and a few years later she got more fibroids and had a hysterectomy. Just get it over with. You won't regret it.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:26 am      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
I had a hysterectomy and it was the best thing ever. My cousin opted for fibroid removal and a few years later she got more fibroids and had a hysterectomy. Just get it over with. You won't regret it.

I have heard this also. Your fibroids could grow back.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
I like BHRT too but am finding I'm able to use a lot less of it since I changed my diet/exercise routine. You said your diet isn't so hot & that's OK but this may be the area you need to look at/change. Metabolic changes are normal in perimenopause. I personally can't process carbs as well as I used to and have gone on a daily fasting program in which I eat minimally during the day and have most of my food at night. It is called The Warrior Diet and is downloadable at mediafire.com. My insulin is much much much better on this and I have virtually no hunger during the day which has helped me eating more sanely once again like I did when I was younger. Carbs really will age the crap out of you and kill you also. Not to be negative but for many people this is true.

I've also found help in something called blood type theory. I'm an O and have once again strictly eliminated wheat and dairy; I read just this morning that Dr. Oz is saying that wheat has *hormonal effects* in middle aged women Shock Gywneth posted this on her blog.
http://caloriecount.about.com/wheat-metabolism-older-women-ft178988

If you have blood type O you also need to rev it up and start doing some harder workouts. This along with the fasting will raise up your HGH and help tighten your face so you will look less wrinkled. I'm not hearing nearly as much "m'aam"" in public lately since I started doing harder workouts. Kettlebells, running, burpees, etc. Metabolic resistance training & circuit training are helpful, there is a lot of info online if you google.

The diet/exercise part is almost never discussed on these forums but it's a big part of it and also absolutely crucial if you start playing around with BHRT. Better to be safe than sorry.

As for skincare, collagen builders like Retin-a, copper peptides, etc plus TCA/Jessner/lactic acid face peels and sun avoidance and sunscreen are also good bets. A Clarisonic with a gentler cleanser should help get the blackheads and dry gunk out.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |