Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Name the ONE very Best Thing You have tried for your Skin???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:31 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Omega 3 can cause hair loss, my personal experience and then i Googled and found out that this has happened with many, so just watch out if you feel you are losing more hair then usual...

Thanks for your reply!

Were you taking long or short chain omega-3s? And were you using borage oil or other food supplements alongside? I rarely advocate O-6 or O-9 because there is ample in the average Western diet, plus it's the ratio of O-3 to O-6 that is critical. But I expect this combination was recommended by your dermatologist or dietician?

The most common claims appear to be hair growth for long chain (fish oils & marine algae) and hair loss for short chain (seed oils). The confusion is compounded by posters mixing cod liver oil up with fish body oils, or 'overdosing' on fat-soluble vitamins or biotin. Are you aware of any reputable research studies on this issue? Question

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Hello Firefox, I was taking fish oil and it labeled only omega 3.. I was taking borage oil along with it as well as many other supplements... but the excessive hair loss stopped as soon as I stopped the fish oil, so I dont know what to make of it..... I just wanted to mention my experience in case there are other people on fish oil with excessive hair loss.... I wish I could take it, may be I ll try it again after few more months and see what happens....
Stork
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
hi daler and firefox

i take evening primrose oil and like it. plus its esp good for women. I dont do well on flax or fish oil, but epo awesome

i was considering trying borage oil. what benefits did either of you notice with borage oil????
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
Stork wrote:
hi daler and firefox

i take evening primrose oil and like it. plus its esp good for women. I dont do well on flax or fish oil, but epo awesome

i was considering trying borage oil. what benefits did either of you notice with borage oil????

Borage oil has both Omega 6 and 9 while primrose has omega 6 only, I believe; and borage has a lot more GLA type ( Gamma Lenolenic acid)omega 6 than primrose oil.

Honestly I take way too many supplements to attribute benefits to a particular supplement but I was told that borage oil is good for hair and skin.
agatha
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Stork,

The version that helps me the most is pinch and roll, but I also do a little twist when I do this. So I pinch skin, twist it slightly and massage the tissue. I tend to alternate the orientation of the twist and switch hands. Also I don't pull the skin from the cheek, but rather push it slightly inwards, thus creating more pressure to the tissue that I'm handling.

With NLs, what helps me the most is when I massage the area next to the nose (above the line), and
I do it for a couple of minutes several times a day (when I'm on the phone, etc..). I was told that I have a tendency to retain fluid in that region so I guess massage drains that fluid away.

HTH

Stork wrote:
Hi Agatha

I am starting to get those NL's and I hate it.

What massage technique are you using please for them???
ava10
5% products discount

Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmmm I know cod liver oil is different than fish oil, but does a high quality cod liver oil provide comparable omega 3 benefit? I've read that it can improve the skin. This is one blog that recommends it: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/02/the-single-best-product-evah-for-your-skin-is-not-in-fact-an-actual-skincare-product/

If it's not comparable to fish oil, could both be taken at the same time? I'm getting a bit confuddled...

AVA
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
ava10 wrote:
Hmmmm I know cod liver oil is different than fish oil, but does a high quality cod liver oil provide comparable omega 3 benefit? I've read that it can improve the skin. This is one blog that recommends it: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/02/the-single-best-product-evah-for-your-skin-is-not-in-fact-an-actual-skincare-product/

If it's not comparable to fish oil, could both be taken at the same time? I'm getting a bit confuddled...

AVA

ava10 I believe both provide Omega 3 that is comparable but cod liver oil has higher vitamin A and D in it. I think there are people who have to watch that they don't take too much vitamin A so may need a doctor's guidance on that (eg if pregnant). I do remember as kids taking cod liver oil (emulsion) which was creamy and not as disgusting as I later found other kids used to take. Somehow we seemed to ride the cold season without an ailment at all. I now get omega 3 my from fish oil or eating salmon. I don't remember what made me pick that over cod liver oil. Think

I know vegans and people afraid of mercury in fish may opt for chia or flax which I've taken too. I've read that fish oil/cod liver oil provide Omega 3 in a form that is easily absorbed while that in flax needs to be converted first. I guess one way to decide between fish oil or cod liver oil is if you're not getting much sun or wear sunblock then it'd be better to take cod liver oil to get your vitamin D. Or taking fish oil and a supplement of D3 might be another way to go. In any case, I'd just run it by your doc to make sure you're not taking too much of a supplement you don't need (A or D). If you get plenty of sun or live in Florida, you probably could just take fish oil and not miss out on D.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:59 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Hello Firefox, I was taking fish oil and it labeled only omega 3.. I was taking borage oil along with it as well as many other supplements... but the excessive hair loss stopped as soon as I stopped the fish oil, so I dont know what to make of it..... I just wanted to mention my experience in case there are other people on fish oil with excessive hair loss.... I wish I could take it, may be I ll try it again after few more months and see what happens....

Honestly I take way too many supplements to attribute benefits to a particular supplement but I was told that borage oil is good for hair and skin.

Hi! Your experience is important, it could help others identify a problem at an early stage. Smile This post rings alarm bells for me. Have you ever totalled up the total amount of each micro-nutrient (vitamins/ minerals/ EFAs) you take? Fat-soluble vitamins in particular can accumulate in the system: hair loss is one possible side effect. You should not need to supplement O-6 or 0-9 if your diet is balanced because many plant oils are rich sources.

ava10 wrote:

AVA

Be careful what you read on the internet (my posts included!) as authors often have no qualifications, and play 'chinese whispers' with the published research. Check out the Weston Price article linked to by the beauty editor, and any other you can find that are scientifically referenced. Your lifestyle, diet, prescribed medication and other supplements need to be considered, there is no blanket recommendation for all. Few in the west consume enough omega-3, but many eat sufficient fat to get plenty of A&D. If you think your diet may be deficient, perhaps rectify that?

Traditional cod liver oil is generally not a good source of long chain omega-3s tho some brands will be refined to increase the 'dose'. You are looking to consume at least 1g of pure DHA/ EPA per day, without taking more than the RDA of vitamins A or D. My skin does best with a higher intake of long chain omega-3s but YMMV. You can achieve this with just fish body oils, just cod liver oils or a combination of fat sources, the choice is yours. If you wish to exceed the RDA of A&D in supplement form, please only do so under medical supervision. Exclamation

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
ava10
5% products discount

Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Nonie and Firefox for the replies! I always wear sunscreen and stay out of the sun in general (and live in New York) so I would think I'm not getting enough Vitamin D. Vitamin A, I'm not sure of.

Firefox, you are right about information on the internet! I think I will hold off on adding either fish oil or cod liver oil until I get some tests done and speak to a real doc (not that Dr. Google isn't necessary at times).

AVA
MidnightSunBaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
I used to look in the mirror and sigh! I had terrible hyper pigmation.

This is me BEFORE and WITH MAKEUP

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2570/3872820996_4cc0d0c09e.jpg

After Retin A and Divine Derierre bleaching creme

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6160/6187047118_b9179dbbc2.jpg

I have been using OCM with a bit of BHA. I also use my OCM as a moisturizer. I started with Divine Derierre bleaching creme at night with lots of sunscreen during the day. /then I added Retin A .05 from ADC and super cop serum during the day.

I am still working on my skin care. I am very happy with my results so far.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Wow! They are amazing results! Very Happy to be honest I looked at your first pic and thought you were drop-dead-gorgeous -- but then I saw the second pic and really got the Wow-factor! Wink Awesome results! I really need to get a bleaching cream to help with my hyper - I used to be snow-white pale but now am covered in horrible pigmentation caused by antibiotics that messed-up my hormones!

MidnightSunBaby wrote:

I have been using OCM with a bit of BHA. I also use my OCM as a moisturizer. I started with Divine Derierre bleaching creme at night with lots of sunscreen during the day. /then I added Retin A .05 from ADC and super cop serum during the day.

LBH
5% products discount

Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:57 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone switched from fish oil or cod liver oil to krill oil? I did a few months ago after reading (I believe here on EDS) that it had much lower levels of mercury, since krill are so low on the food-chain, while providing the omega-3's. Krill oil was also supposed to contain another antioxidant, not found in regular fish oil, which was desirable. I believe this is what gives it its red color. I will say that krill oil is significantly more expensive than fish oil, but I get most of my supplements at a very reduced cost at Vitacost, so it is a little less painful.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for your kind words,Glamcat!

The best price on Divine Derierre bleaching creme is on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIVINE-DERRIERE-SKIN-BLEACH-BLEACHING-ANAL-VAGINAL-FACE-/220823760514?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item336a1f2e82

If you email the company, they can give you instructions. Since I had much pigmation over my face, I use it all over my face.

There is also a full system, but i have only used the bleaching creme.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIVINE-DERRIERE-SKIN-BLEACH-BLEACHING-ANAL-VAGINAL-FACE-/220775112036?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item336738dd64

Copper peptides helps the skin from the inside out. I use it in the mornings as the CP binds with the bleaching agents.

Make sure you use sunscreen! I layer my sunscreen-- sunscreen spf 110, tinted foundation/moisturizer spf 20 and then elf mineral powder sunscreen spf 45.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
LBH wrote:
Has anyone switched from fish oil or cod liver oil to krill oil? I did a few months ago after reading (I believe here on EDS) that it had much lower levels of mercury, since krill are so low on the food-chain, while providing the omega-3's. Krill oil was also supposed to contain another antioxidant, not found in regular fish oil, which was desirable. I believe this is what gives it its red color. I will say that krill oil is significantly more expensive than fish oil, but I get most of my supplements at a very reduced cost at Vitacost, so it is a little less painful.

The antioxidant in krill oil is a carotenoid called astaxanthin. Also, a very good supplement to take. IMO.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
Glamcat wrote:
Wow! They are amazing results! Very Happy to be honest I looked at your first pic and thought you were drop-dead-gorgeous -- but then I saw the second pic and really got the Wow-factor! Wink Awesome results!

I agree wonderful results and thank you for sharing!

5% products discount

Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
MidnightSunBaby wrote:

I concur with everyone else! I think you were stunning in the before photo, but the after whoa I don't think you need makeup anymore! And isn't that the Holy Grail of all Holy Grails?? I'm still questing but this whole thread is such an inspiration. Very Happy

AVA
MidnightSunBaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2270/2744884701_d60c419e91.jpg

I lived in the darkness of Alaska for a year and a half and used BHA in my oil moisturizer and OCM. But the combo of Retin A and Divine Derierre really worked for me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
wow this post has really taken off! Good, we are all going to be so much more beautiful for it!

Midnight, forgive my beauty ignorance, but what is BHA and OCM

P.S. in the first pic, you looked stunning, the second pic drop dead gorgeous!
nothing

Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:37 am      Reply with quote
In my case the best thing was avoiding water (from 2 washes/day to maybe 2 washes/week).
I clean my face with oils and a cloth.

I read once that water is a weak irritant.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:34 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for that info Wink Your results are definitely amazing!

I actually just ordered a HQ cream from an ebay seller during the week called Derma White which is only 2% HQ but I thought for me with my very sensitive skin that the lower strength would be better to start with and maybe I can work my way up depending on results...

MidnightSunBaby wrote:
Thank you for your kind words,Glamcat!

The best price on Divine Derierre bleaching creme is on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIVINE-DERRIERE-SKIN-BLEACH-BLEACHING-ANAL-VAGINAL-FACE-/220823760514?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item336a1f2e82

If you email the company, they can give you instructions. Since I had much pigmation over my face, I use it all over my face.

There is also a full system, but i have only used the bleaching creme.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIVINE-DERRIERE-SKIN-BLEACH-BLEACHING-ANAL-VAGINAL-FACE-/220775112036?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item336738dd64

Copper peptides helps the skin from the inside out. I use it in the mornings as the CP binds with the bleaching agents.

Make sure you use sunscreen! I layer my sunscreen-- sunscreen spf 110, tinted foundation/moisturizer spf 20 and then elf mineral powder sunscreen spf 45.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:38 am      Reply with quote
I would agree with you on this! My face hates being washed! Water irritates it like crazy! Go figure! I seem to be hugely allergic/sensitive to all of the chlorine in our Australian tap water for a start! Confused

I've recently started OCM and my skin is diggin it Wink

Earlier this year I had surgery and was in hospital for 5 days and I didnt wash my face the whole time - I just applied my oil blend as a moisturizer a few times a day and my skin loved it! It was too hard trying to get up and wash my face which is why I tried this and I definitely agree with the 'less is more' approach... Very Happy

nothing wrote:
In my case the best thing was avoiding water (from 2 washes/day to maybe 2 washes/week).
I clean my face with oils and a cloth.

I read once that water is a weak irritant.
lawmom
5% products discount

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
My favorite is Yukuko Tanaka's face massage. Very simple but effective.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Wowee - the Divine Derriere stuff really works. I'm amazed how it transformed your facial skin Midnight. Good for age spots on hands too apparently.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:19 am      Reply with quote
The Tripollar STOP... and EMS devices, Thats two but I couldnt help it Razz

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
IMCathy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:59 am      Reply with quote
I just ordered the Divine Derriere stuff
I have skin darkening on my cheeks, forehead and neck along with age spots. I would love to see something work on them!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |