Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help with dry/flaky skin from new retin a use
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:25 am      Reply with quote
I began using Retin A last week and am applying a .025 cream every third night. I've used it 3 times now and my face is dry and flaky. I was expecting this, but now I wish I had a better moisturizer for during the day. My skin is so dry right now I can feel it pulling/stretching simply from smiling and speaking!

I went online to do a little research on good moisturizers and stumbled upon this site and see many of you with the same dry skin as a result of retin a.

After washing my face in the morning, I only put on a moisturizer – Eucerin w/ SPF 30.
Can you recommend something else, maybe a stronger moisturizer to help with the dryness?

Oh and I’m flaking too. Anything for that?
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
You could try a microfiber cloth for the flaking. This is a good one.
http://ncnskincare.com/exfoliate-c-2/microfiber-cleansing-cloth-p-15

I have also found that using an oil-based cleanser helped with the flakiness. The flakes just roll off the skin. You could also try using an oil underneath your moisturizer.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
Everything that jom said Wink

I like to use a mixture of Rosehip Oil and Vitamin E Oil when using Retin-A for the flakies... Very Happy
Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info.

I plan to go buy an oil for my face today. Do I put it on after I wash my face but before I put on my moisturizer in the morning? So wash, oil, moisturizer w/ SPF, in that order? Sorry, I'm clueless!

And is there a recommended oil and brand?
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Yes, you've got the order correct Wink

I'm in Australia so I'm not sure what brands of oil you have where you are -- just try to get an organic one if you can... oils are so good for the skin, anti-inflammatory and very healing...
Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:37 am      Reply with quote
I'm in Vegas - no shortage of skin products around here. I'm debating whether to hit a big department store or a local drugstore.

I'm also wondering if Whole Foods, our local natural and organic market, offers anything like this. I've bought vitamins there before, but typically ignore all the beauty products.
Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I've been trying to research oil based cleansers. Can anyone recommend one? I'd like the flakes to just roll off!
ava10
5% products discount

Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
Beach_bum, Whole Foods has tons of great beauty products, including oils! They have an impressive selection of essential oils, flower essence oils, as well as carrier oils like jojoba and sweet almond. It will all be in their Beauty/Body section.

Also, when your skin is dry, does it have a crepey texture? Although I am not using retin A, a BHA product I recently started using at night is making my skin crepey. I used jojoba oil last night on my face for the first time. How long might it take for the crepey-ness/dryness to go away?

AVA
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
Ahhhh Whole Foods!!! Very Happy You guys are so lucky having those Whole Foods stores everywhere! lol I wish they would come to Australia! or maybe I should move to America! lol (actually my hubby really would like us to relocate there Wink )

Yes when I use Retin-A frequently I get the crepey skin too and I have to load up on the oils!

Beach_bum, maybe a good organic clean cleanser would do the job and you could at a little oil to it so that you're able to gentley buff the flakey skin off while you're cleansing. Maybe going the whole hog and doing the OCM Oil Cleanse Method isnt such a great idea YET - I've read that most people who start a straight OCM go through a terrible purging period (severe acne) for several months.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Oh and dont be too self-conscious about the flakey skin, or crepies, or redness when you're first starting out with Retin-A -- what seems glaringly obvious to us, others barely notice - if anyone comments just say you got a bit of sunburn from not reapplying sunscreen or something! lol Laughing

On the rare occassion that I've had someone comment, first of all I thought they were a bit nosey, afterall I didnt point out all of their flaws! LOL Laughing

But do make sure if you're in the sun that you are wearing loads of sunscreen while using Retin-A - and if at the beach a good thick zinc cover (like a zinc stick) is paramount! Sun exposure while using Retin-A can cause severe burning, premature aging and pigmentation Wink
jordanne32

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
My favorite moisturizer is Hope in a Jar by Philosophy. It's amazing! I have very dry skin. This is fluffy and completely gets ride of any dry feeling. Try it out at Sephora and you will feel a difference. This is very pricey but worth it. It will last you much longer as you do not need a lot. They also have versions with SPF in it. I LOVE THIS STUFF!
Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Oh you guys are fabulous!!! Thank you for being so helpful. Let me tell you what I did yesterday afternoon...

I spent most of the day yesterday reading up on oils and OCM and made a little list of all the oils I'd like to try. But first, we were meeting friends for happy hour. Well, it just so happens our happy hour restaurant was in the Whole Foods parking lot, so after a few glasses of wine, I drag my husband over to WF for a little shopping spree.

While he goes off and does some more wine tasting and cheese sampling at Whole Foods (Whole Foods is like my husband's Toys R Us), I'm rubbing oils all over my hands, arms, elbows, everywhere trying to see what I like. I end up buying castor oil and grapeseed oil for the OCM, and then Vitamin C and Avocado oils for my face. I came home last night and watched a Youtube video of someone demonstrating OCM and then mixed my castor and grapeseed oils in a little bottle and washed my face.

I massaged and massaged for a long time and yup, just like Jom said, I felt the flakes rolling right off! I then rubbed the vitamin C and avocado oils in and although it felt odd at first (I've never put oil on my face before!) my face felt soooo clean and smooth and MOIST...a feeling I'm not used to!

I woke up this morning and 1) still no flakes!! Dancing and 2) no redness. Those oils really do work, and quickly too. I'd read the past few days about how soothing oils were but was still very skeptical - I must admit I am very impressed.

I also found another gem of a store - a place called Herbally Grounded that carries every oil known to man! Not only that, they must have had 3-4 different brands of each oil. I asked the girl if she had any emu oil and she showed me 3 different brands! I was dying to buy everything, but I kept reminding myself I had to take this process slow and what I had just bought was enough (for now;-) I will return soon I'm sure. Very Happy
Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Hope in a jar - I will give it a try. I have a Sephora in my neighborhood less than a mile away! I want to find something with a good SPF.

I was in line last Saturday for a book signing with Bobby Flay and they had us waiting outside. I did have my SPF on, but no hat, and felt my face burning. Everyone was trying to shade me, but it didn't help. Now I've got big brimmed hats in my backseat for these situations.
Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:08 am      Reply with quote
Glamcat- I keep asking my friends and family, "How are the flakes?" "Can you see them now?" while out in public and they all think I'm crazy. I haven't been wearing foundation lately because of the dryness and flakes, but I did yesterday to meet up with friends and I was so self conscious. But like you said, no one really noticed.

I'm now waiting to see if I have any purging effects from the OCM. Believe it or not, I've never had a pimple in my life, so I'm not too worried about an acne breakout. My main concern is the dryness as it's painful!
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hemp seed oil was the only thing that worked for me for this. And sunscreen, if I forgot the sunscreen the sun made it a lot worse, even driving around in my car.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:58 am      Reply with quote
Talk about synchronicity! lol I was looking in the DIY threads yesterday on EDS and read heaps about OCM and the great results people have had with it - so I gave it a go too! and my skin LOVED it! Very Happy So I've posted my review there of what I did and how well my skin behaved today! Wink

My skin absolutely LOVES oils like you couldn't believe! and yet I used to avoid them like the plague! lol Laughing now I have so many oils in my bathroom they almost outnumber beauty products! hahaha... and I love emu oil - it's really good stuff! well as long as you're not vegan! Wink

I would be like your husband Beach_bum - those Whole Foods stores would be like heaven to me! My hubby would never be able to drag me out! I'd have to pay them rent! lol Laughing
Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Not sure if maybe I should begin a new thread for newbies, I don't know, but I have a ton of questions about all this skin care stuff. I've always just washed with Cetaphil, put on my moisturizer with SPF and then that's it til bedtime, when I wash with Cetaphil again and put Cetaphil moisturizing cream and hit the pillow. Very simple and no layering of anything. I go to the gym almost daily and wash with Cetaphil immediately after my workout too. So that's 3x a day I'm washing my face.

Now with the retin a, I'm unbelievably dry -- in fact painfully dry and I can see the dry lines all around my mouth and over my top lip which I've never seen before and it hurts to talk and smile.

Yesterday I woke up and my face was feeling much better....I beleive it's because of the OCM and then I slept with the Vitamin E oil on it. I washed it yesterday morning with Cetaphil and then put on Vitamin E oil again, followed by a dab of avocado oil, then followed by my moisturizer w/SPF. My skin felt great all day. In fact, all the flakes and redness were gone, the painful dryness was greatly diminished, and now I just have a bunch of questions about these products, layering them, etc. So here goes:

1) It feels really weird to layer all these products... do they dilute each other? (Vit E, then Avocado oil, then spf)?

2) Can I just use the vitamin E oil as my moisturizer as it does the job well?

3) Can I use vit E oil twice a day, a.m. and then p.m.? Or should I mix it up with something else?

3) Are there oil brands that are truly superior than others? I had the option of several brands but the oils all looked the same and were similarly priced. I can't believe how inexpensive they are! Anything to look for, or avoid, when shopping for oils?

I always believed that Cetaphil was a very gentle cleanser and since I'm using it 3x a day, I'm wondering if there's something out there that's better, more gentler, and that won't contribute any more to the dryness.

Thanks!
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi beach_bum, glad you are having luck with OCM and oils. A good oil-based cleanser that's kind of expensive but you can make a jar last for a year is the Eve Lom cleanser. Or, the Karin Herzog professional cleaser which is sold by EDS. The Shu Uemura cleansing oils are nice too. I actually have a couple of samples of them so if you'd like to try one just send me a PM with your name and address and I'll send it to you for free. As far as oils go I think it's good to get a blend that includes rosehip seed oil and/or seabuckthorn oil. Both are reparitive and help with redness. I use an expensive blend made by Tammy Fender, her quintesseial serum. You can probably order samples for $12 to cover shipping.

Layering the oils under sunscreen does not dilute them. You may want to consider using a VItamin C serum under you moisturizer and sunscreen to help get additional sunscreen protection. Skinceuticals CE Ferulic is excellent. Then you could layer your oils and them sunscreen. I would go with a sunscreen rather that a moisturizer with sunscreen I think it is more effective. I like Dermaquest SPF30 with Zinclear myself.

You can use Vitamin E or any oil blend as your moisturizer and if you top it off with sunscreen that has antixodants in it that should be enough moisturization.

As far as brands go you could just look through the shelves at Whole Foods or EDS sells Russell Organics products that look good. Trilogy has some nice rose hip based oils as well. Lots of people on the forum get their oils from Garden of Wisdom.

It's OK to use the Vitamin E at night as well as during the day, but ideally you just want to use your Retin A at night and not have to follow it with any additional products. HTHS
Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for all that! I have much to learn - but am actually enjoying all the online searching and shopping!

I didn't realize sunscreen was available in any other form than a moisturizer. That's good to know. I think I'm going to try to purchase samples of a variety of things and see what works well on my skin.

Right now I have to get through this retin a induced dryness. It's killing me!
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Into my first months of using retin a..the clarsonic was my salvation. The spa I'd get facial treatments at..suggested I purchase it for overall skincare. The outcome was the peeling skin was exfoliated off everyday..and I couldn't' even tell I was using retin a anymore. This after months of peely gross skin. It is a miricale worker.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Into my first months of using retin a..the clarsonic was my salvation. The spa I'd get facial treatments at..suggested I purchase it for overall skincare. The outcome was the peeling skin was exfoliated off everyday..and I couldn't' even tell I was using retin a anymore. This after months of peely gross skin. It is a miricale worker.
Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
So now I'm off to do a search on Clarisonic! I can't believe all these gadgets and potions!

I've been doing the OCM every other day and so far no flakies! Beginning tonight I go from applying retin a from every 3rd night to every other night, so we'll see if I completely dry up like a prune.

And there has been no redness and itching whatsoever since I applied the oils Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Thalgo Prodige des Océans Gift Set (coffret) Skeyndor Essential Wheat Germ Oil Nourishing Cream (50 ml) Peter Thomas Roth Hello Kitty Rose Repair Gel Mask (150 ml)