Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

my acne struggle
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Benksy

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
hey, i just signed up today and i'm seriously in need of some help. i'm 19 years old i've had acne for about 5 years now. its taken a huge emotional toll on me and im so fed up and i need to get rid of it. it seems like almost everyone i know around my age has resolved their acne problems except me. i hate being the kid at the party with acne. i know i care alot more about it than anyone else but i feel like if i could get over it i would be a much more outgoing/loving/not so grumpy guy. i swear my skin problem takes over every aspect of my life. when i have family over im constantly in the bathroom sometimes even just staring at myself even crying. my friends im sure have noticed my personality probably isnt the same (my acne recently got worse). so many things i just need to get over this nightmare.

ps sorry for rambling im trying to get all of this stuff off my chest im going crazy.

anyways, since ive had acne for so long ill probably have scars if i ever get the active acne off but ill worry about that after. just looking for all possible tips to get my skin back to what it was before this awful thing happened to me.

(im trying to drink lots of water, i got some zinc, and i just recently stopped the proactiv as it doesnt really do what i want it to. i want healthy hydrated skin again and this stuff kind of just drys it out and kills it)

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
I'll write more when I have a bit more time and by then I'm sure a few people will have added their advice too... Wink

But my initial advice is make sure you get your diet really clean to make sure it's nothing that you're putting into your body that is causing the problem. Then I would recommend looking at Retin-A - which can initially make things worse - but after the first few months you start noticing a big improvement and wonder why you didnt look at it sooner.

Also yes, Proactive will really dry your skin out and probably make the acne worse if it hasnt resolved it. Look at getting a good gentle moisturizer to help with your skin which may sound counter-intuitive but your skin is probably dehydrated and this can cause more acne.

As I said this is a start from me but I'm sure you will get lots of additional info from others Wink
Carolhardin
5% products discount

Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:27 am      Reply with quote
To get rid of the acne problem it is good to take proper diet. These are some of the tips which i can share with you:
1. Drink plenty of water(12 to 16 glasses per day).
2. Avoid junk foods and oily food.
3. Wash your face at least twice a day.
4. Do not apply any kind of lotion or cream.
5. Avoid lots of sweets also.
6. Use aloe Vera gel.
7. Eat fresh fruits and take proper diet.
8. Take proper sleep.
9. Do not touch your face again and again.
10. Practice Yoga or exercise daily.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:42 am      Reply with quote
Definitely give Retin-A a try. You could also consider getting a High Frequency Wand (also called a Violet Ray). You can find them on Ebay for around $50.00. They're great for killing bacteria on the skin and allot of people with acne have had success with using this device.

Also, have you tried cleansing your skin with oils? The usual mix is Castor and Olive Oil but you can use other kinds. The oils cleanse the skin without stripping the protective skin barrier. My daughter found this method really helped when she had acne. Just be sure to wash the oils off thoroughly with a face-cloth and plenty of warm water.

And lastly, have you been to see a doctor about this. You probably need to take medication also.

Good luck - try to stay positive and be determined and you'll win in the end. Let us know how you get on.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:32 am      Reply with quote
I'm personally loving experimenting with OCM - it cleared to stubborn cystic zits on my chin that had been there 2 weeks in 1 day!!! Very Happy
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:55 am      Reply with quote
So sorry to read your skin is affecting you like this. Crying or Very sad My first suggestion is that you make an appointment with your family doctor or dermatologist, and explain just how much your skin is affecting your confidence and mood. There are many highly effective prescription medications, from low dose oral antibiotics to topical creams.

I think sometimes we forget that skin can be sensitive/ reactive AND have acne, or be dehydrated AND oily simultaneously. Given that your skin is drying out without clearing, it may be that harsh mainstream products are breaking down the skin's protective acid mantle. The Oil Cleansing Method that Keliu and Glamcat mentions could be worth a try - a blend of castor oil, grapeseed and tea tree is often recommended for acne. This means you will be cutting down on irritant ingredients such as sulphate surfactants, benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. There is an inspiring OCM thread on the 'DIY skincare' board.

Please don't take individual vitamin or mineral supplements without medical advice. Micro-nutrients work synergistically or in opposition, you can do more harm than good unless you have researched thoroughly. However, research indicates an anti-inflammatory diet can be of benefit. This means cutting out smoking/ alcohol/ caffeine, increasing the amount of unsaturated fats in your diet (especially oily fish), cutting out saturates (animal fats) and trans (hydrogenated) fats, cutting out refined sugar and white carbohydrates, more fruit and vegetables, more wholegrains and pulses. Some claim that wheat or dairy sensitivity may be a contributory factor, but problems are often rooted in an imbalance in the gut flora. If you think this may be an issue, you might try plain live yoghurt in place of milk/ cheese or an acidophilus supplement (friendly bacteria).

I'm also going to agree with Carolhardin that physical activity may be beneficial, as this is proven to improve blood flow, boost immune function, release endorphins (stress/ depression), aid in removing toxins and waste matter via the bladder and bowels, help balance hormones. Providing you are healthy, the greatest benefits are gained from regular (3-5 x week) intense exercise but, as before, do take advice from a qualified professional beforehand.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Welcome! If you want a QUICK fix, you must try Carley's Clear and Smooth cleanser.

And I also love the 2%BHA from Paula's Choice. You can get samples from each and see what works for you. Either product line works very well.
Benksy

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:22 am      Reply with quote
holy crap this is alot of info, this site is awesome. im going to make an appointment tomorrow with my family doctor. when i first got acne i had an appointment but i completely forget what she subscribed me but it made my acne alot worse. the past couple of years ive been going to the gym (before i started full time work in the summer i went everday) and i swear i had barely no acne at all. it seems like i went on a huge slump to not caring about anything because of how my face looked at the end of work going back to school which was like a month ago. i havent been going to the gym because of how i feel and i spend alot of time pretty much just doing nothing and sulcing. i know i need to get out and get past my fears but it would be nice if i showed a little bit of progress before i start sweating everywhere for everyone to see my crappy skin. im trying to drink lots of green tea and water and such. since im 19 though the urges of eating a fully proper diet is so hard and since no one else in my family has acne (i swear my little brothers skin is perfect like the nicest skin ive seen on a teenage boy) its hard. it seems like no one really cares and i just say whatever and go with the flow and eat whatever everyone else is eating. it sucks so much, theres so many tempations and urges. i just want to be like everyone else lol. i know im a whiney baby but i need to whine somewhere because my parents arent the type to want to hear it. anyways guys i really appreciate all of the help and i will let you know what my doc perscribes me tomorrow.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck Benksy! Very Happy I think we all know your pain to some extent - adult acne tends to affect females more than males so the bulk of us have had to battle it to some extent, be it a full face or monthly breakouts.

But the proven stuff that works is: exercise, drinking loads of water, healthy eating, certain vitamins, salicylic acid, Retin-A, good simple skin care.

Some prescription products will make things worse before they get better - but this is a sign that it's actually working!!! Wink so dont give up! Especially with Retin-A - the results are REALLY worth it and the long-term benefit of Retin-A is that when you're in your 30's you will look younger than your friends as Retin-A also has anti-aging benefits. But you must must must use suncscreen when using Retin-A. Maybe try Retin-A Micro as it is slow release on the skin and you wont have as much drynes and peeling but it's still working away under your skin doing all the right stuff Wink

I got my 18yo nephew onto Retin-A and it totally helped his acne and scarring and his dad wonderred why they hadnt tried it sooner (or rather why their doctor hadnt suggested it!).

Retin-A will purge a lot of gunk out of your skin when you first start but as I said this is a positive sign. To help with the dryness of Retin-A - OCM could be very useful - lots of info about it on the interwebz and lots of youtube tutorials... Good luck and keep coming back to ask for more tips... Smile
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck Benksy! Very Happy I think we all know your pain to some extent - adult acne tends to affect females more than males so the bulk of us have had to battle it to some extent, be it a full face or monthly breakouts.

But the proven stuff that works is: exercise, drinking loads of water, healthy eating, certain vitamins, salicylic acid, Retin-A, good simple skin care.

Some prescription products will make things worse before they get better - but this is a sign that it's actually working!!! Wink so dont give up! Especially with Retin-A - the results are REALLY worth it and the long-term benefit of Retin-A is that when you're in your 30's you will look younger than your friends as Retin-A also has anti-aging benefits. But you must must must use suncscreen when using Retin-A. Maybe try Retin-A Micro as it is slow release on the skin and you wont have as much dryness and peeling but it's still working away under your skin doing all the right stuff Wink

I got my 18yo nephew onto Retin-A and it totally helped his acne and scarring and his dad wonderred why they hadnt tried it sooner (or rather why their doctor hadnt suggested it!).

Retin-A will purge a lot of gunk out of your skin when you first start but as I said this is a positive sign. To help with the dryness of Retin-A - OCM could be very useful - lots of info about it on the interwebz and lots of youtube tutorials... Good luck and keep coming back to ask for more tips and let us know your progress... Smile Also, All Day Chemist (online) is a good place to buy your Retin-A Wink
health2u
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
I hope your dermatologist prescribes 1% Retin-A cream, (no generics) and gives you Rx strength benzoyl peroxide 8% for spot treatment.

I also hope your Dr. recommends Dr. Joesoef's 10% sulphur soap. (joesoefskincare.com)

I suffered with acne for most of my life, and it was only when I started using the Retin-A that I got the acne under control.

I used it every night, religiously. It never made my skin peel or flake, and it didn't make the acne worse before it started to get better. In fact, it started to get better as soon as I started using it. It also got rid of tiny white bumps (probably whiteheads) that I had all over my face, and helped to fade some purple scars I had that were a consequence of cystic acne.

I also had very, very oily skin (too much testosterone production for a female) so I didn't use any moisturizers.
The Retin-A made my skin tone look a little reddish, but most people just thought it looked like I had a tan.

I agree that lots of water and a healthy diet are good for you, but none of that ever made my acne better. I danced for most of my life, too, and even with all that exercise, I still had bad acne until I started using the 1% Retin-A cream.

Good luck!! I'll look forward to reading about your progress.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
You could have polycystic ovaries. What are your periods like? PCOS may be insulin driven so exercise daily and eat a low glycemic type diet. You must eat protein and good fats to be healthy. I like the blood type system, it would have helped me a ton when I was your age. I'm a blood type O and thrive on exercise, animal protein type diet etc. Though I took two courses of Accutane I got adult acne in my late 20s... pretty sure it was related to diet/exercise.
Benksy

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
haha im a boy :P but anyway, i got subscribed tetracycline pills 2 per day (empty stomach) and teraseptic hair and face wash to clean my face in the shower. fingers crossed

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Benksy wrote:
haha im a boy :P but anyway, i got subscribed tetracycline pills 2 per day (empty stomach) and teraseptic hair and face wash to clean my face in the shower. fingers crossed

Great, you got some anti-biotics so they should knock the infection on the head. Try applying some Zinc Oxide to a small patch of your face to see if that helps - it's a wonderful anti-inflammatory.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
oh my god, the hair and face wash felt soo nice on my skin. Smile its a little dry but i dont mind, feels much better than proactiv. i told the doc i was using it and she pretty much said no wonder.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Benksy wrote:

Tetracycline is not that effective by itself. You should talk to your doctor about getting a prescription retinoid as well, and if your skin can tolerate it, apply a good benzoyl peroxide product. Some people will tell you benzoyl peroxide can be damaging to the skin and that it's carcinogenic, but those doses are usually abnormally higher than standard dosage, so you don't have much to worry. Benzoyl peroxide is actually recommended as the first line treatment for acne in the acne guidelines.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:13 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
Tetracycline is not that effective by itself. You should talk to your doctor about getting a prescription retinoid as well, and if your skin can tolerate it, apply a good benzoyl peroxide product. Some people will tell you benzoyl peroxide can be damaging to the skin and that it's carcinogenic, but those doses are usually abnormally higher than standard dosage, so you don't have much to worry. Benzoyl peroxide is actually recommended as the first line treatment for acne in the acne guidelines.

I'll have to disagree with you about the benzoyl peroxide. It is well known as a pro-oxidant (high or low dosage), that's actually how it works to treat acne. The problem with pro-oxidants is that it will result in accelerated ageing and pigmented/mottled-looking skin. BP can also cause skin irritation. Perhaps those are reasons why Benksy's doc is keen to have him drop Proactiv which is based on BP.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:18 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:

What you are suggesting is a very harsh routine, perhaps inappropriately so for someone who says "i want healthy hydrated skin again and [Proactive] kind of just drys it out and kills it".

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
oasisjc wrote:

What you are suggesting is a very harsh routine, perhaps inappropriately so for someone who says "i want healthy hydrated skin again and [Proactive] kind of just drys it out and kills it".

Her primary concern is acne, and benzoyl peroxide is a very effective treatment, and is needed to prevent resistance of the acne bacteria. Using tetracycline by itself can cause resistant strains to form, which would make treating acne down the line extremely difficult. Yes, benzoyl peroxide works by generating free radicals to kill the bacteria, and some times, your own skin cells will get caught in the crossfire. However, once your acne has been cleared, you can stop using benzoyl peroxide if you also stop tetracycline - and in my opinion, that short amount of damage to your own skin cells is worth it if you can clear the acne from your face (which would be causing even more damage due to the scarring and hyperpigmentation involved). If you use a retinoid to maintain your now-clear face, you would be reversing any damage the benzoyl peroxide had caused to your face rather than trying to reverse the scar tissue from any acne lesions (which would be much, much harder to reverse)
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |