Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I want to overhaul my routine
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
actionwoman
5% products discount

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 42, and even though I've been told I have rosecea, I'm not really sure that I do. My skin can be ruddy but is only slightly sensitive. I've used glycolic acid and Vit C in the past with no problems. I've also used Copper Peptides (Skin Bio - back in the early 2000s) but wasn't sure I noticed a difference.

I just discontinued taking Accutane which was for my acne. I have a Differin prescription as well and am alternating MD Forte Glycolic cleanser with my Shu Uemura oil cleanser. I haven't used the Differin in a while since the Accutane seemed to make my skin more sensitive.

I'm using 0.1% Retin A for my KP (arms and legs).

My acne is mild, but it still bothers me, and I'm starting to get fine lines around my eyes and I have frown furrows between my eyebrows. In general, my skin is dry and my nose is always flaky. Most of my acne appears under my nose, usually somewhere on my chin.

Any suggestions extremely welcome.

OH - one more question. I am willing to give up dairy or wheat (but not both at the same time) - does anyone have any idea which would be more effective? I don't think I have a lactose allergy, I'm Northern European and have never had digestive problems with milk. I doubt I have a wheat allergy, but I can more easily give that up.

Thanks in advance,
Amy
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
I think you should stick with Differin or ask for a more potent retinoid. You may want to switch your glycolic acid to salicylic acid since SA is more targeted towards acne-prone people.

Cutting out dairy and wheat/gluten could be helpful, but it's not scientifically proven to make any difference. YOu probably want to try it for a while
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:17 am      Reply with quote
I work in lifestyle healthcare, which obviously includes giving nutritional advice. I also have keratosis pilaris, which responds extremely well to simply increasing the amount of long chain omega-3 (EPA & DHA) in my diet. Even though my skin is sensitive I can use light lactic acid peels as this is more hydrating than other acids. Has your dermatologist suggested either of these?

Relatively few people are intolerant/ allergic to dairy or wheat, if they are an imbalance in the gut flora is often a contributing factor. This can be improved by supplementing Acidophilus capsules (friendly bacteria) and ensuring there is plenty of soluble fibre in the diet. Plain live yoghurt contains little lactose and the proteins (whey & small casein molecules) are easier to digest than cheese (large casein molecules). Giving up all wheat derivatives is difficult - it's easier to switch to more beans, lentils whole oats, pot barley, brown basmati rice. TBH you are more likely to get a result from overhauling your entire diet to be more anti-inflammatory and lower glycaemic index. That means cutting out refined sugar and white carbs, saturated (animal) and trans (hydrogenated) fats; increasing essential fatty acids (oily fish/ nuts/ seeds/ avocados/ olive oil), fruit and vegetables.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:34 am      Reply with quote
I was told I had rosacea too -- but it ends up I didnt - I'm just extremely sensitive to all of the chlorine in the tap water. My skin was literally dry, peeling, red and irritated and washing my face was a nightmare that left my face painful and burning.

I put a water filter on my bathroom basin and that made a huge difference. Prior to this if I washed my face in the morning, by lunchtime my face was a red-raw peeling mess.

I just wish I'd found Osmosis Skincare prior to having laser to treat my faux-acea. The products Calm & Mend by Osmosis really settled my skin down (cant remember which order I started them in - whichever is the more gentle product then worked up to the next level product).
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Differin did nothing for me. Tazorac is what has made the biggest difference for me. You could consider trying Finacea, which is for rosacea but also used for acne. Also in addition be sure to add something antibacterial.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:41 am      Reply with quote
I think we are hitting a certain age group where we will be going through changes. I try to keep mine simple.

I still use Vivier vitamin C 20% and exploring the idea of using once in awhile oil like tamanu.

Now, I have exzema so I know I have to be careful and pay attention to my skin. I wear a lot less makeup and love to shoe that glow from within look.

I don't use RetinA on my body, but use Lac-Hydrin 12% and put on any prescription that my docter felt would help my skin. That is RetinA at night and Clindasol during the day. I'm not so sure using Copper Pepties is okay to use when using vitamin C and your prescription. I've tried it and found that it made my skin age a lot faster.

I still break out, but not as bad as it used to be. I do use Clarisonic when I wash and get regular micro and lactic acid peels.

Paying attention to what you eat is important too, but you have to live also. I noticed that my skin and digestive reacts poorly to milk. I drink almond milk now. Just pay attention to your skin and be consistant with skin care maintence.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:

Now, I have exzema so I know I have to be careful and pay attention to my skin. I wear a lot less makeup and love to shoe that glow from within look.

Paying attention to what you eat is important too, but you have to live also. I noticed that my skin and digestive reacts poorly to milk. I drink almond milk now. Just pay attention to your skin and be consistant with skin care maintence.

Hope you don't mind me commenting. Research shows both probiotics and long chain omega-3s help improve digestive and immune function, which will have a 'knock-on' effect on skin health. Also is your entire beauty routine - skin & hair - free of sulphate surfactants? These can aggravate various skin conditions including eczema.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Skincare wrote:

Hope you don't mind me commenting. Research shows both probiotics and long chain omega-3s help improve digestive and immune function, which will have a 'knock-on' effect on skin health. Also is your entire beauty routine - skin & hair - free of sulphate surfactants? These can aggravate various skin conditions including eczema.

My eczema is not on my face. I have a different skin care routine for that.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |