Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

before I embarrass myself
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
I got in contact with someone I dated years ago (on facebook of course).

We were writing just basic "how are you?" questions. He just asked....

"What about vitals? Is that going well?"

My first thought was my health - I looked the word up and that's the definition I found as well.

I was never sick when he knew me. And I'm not even 40 so it seems like an odd question - maybe if we were elderly it would make more sense...

Basically, I don't know if that's what hes asking or is he asking if Im seeing anyone? Smile

THANKS!!!!!!!
ava10
5% products discount

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think it's embarrassing or dumb to wonder what he means by "vitals". Perhaps people are not responding because they don't know--I certainly don't! It seems such an odd way to phrase things. I have never come across anyone using the word "vital" in this manner.

Perhaps you could just ask him to clarify what he means by it? I don't think there would be anything wrong with that.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

AVA
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Well,
I am young and not even sure what that means,lol.

I would maybe write back a funny reply and say" why yes, I do have my vital signs I am alive and breathing!

Is that what you wanted to know?
hahahah...

Even though I'm pretty sure that is not what he was asking. Rolling Eyes
Then maybe he could actually ask a question that makes sense??

The only "ex" I would probably contact, he know me well enough to not ask these questions- he is almost psychic Wink

*this response prob won't help you,but thought I'd try anyways.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Vital statistics? Married, divorced, single?
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:01 am      Reply with quote
Well thanks so much! I thought maybe it was so obvious I embarrassed myself JUST by asking!!

To be fair, I didnt state what the post was even about in the title either.

I like your response Ottawa and was already thinking of responding in a similar way. Smile

thanks again!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Very odd phrasing!
The only way I use with the word vital is in reference to a medical term, such as vital signs.
But it basically means the essentials or life force of or the well being of.
So it sounds like he is asking about the important areas of your life in a broad term.
But in saying that, I agree with Ottawa. In this day of electronic communication, it is always hard to gauge accurately some thru email, FB or twitter. The best way to handle a very vague question is to return it along with the humor. That way, the intentions are not misread.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Not sure either (hard to keep up with slang, isn't it?) but whenever in doubt, The Urban Dictionary (urbandictionary.com) can usually bring you up to speed on the meaning of all the words being used nowadays in ways that clearly will slowly murder this beautiful language as we know it. (I'm sure all the Generation Y kids are seething now that I've posted this reference site since they will no longer be able to speak in code without their folks knowing what they are saying. Bad Grin )

I wish there was an English Protection Society. I'd support it. I am already thrilled that there is an Apostrophe Protection Society (apostrophe.org.uk/). Very Happy
havana8

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Nonie aka AD wrote:
Not sure either (hard to keep up with slang, isn't it?) but whenever in doubt, The Urban Dictionary (urbandictionary.com) can usually bring you up to speed on the meaning of all the words being used nowadays in ways that clearly will slowly murder this beautiful language as we know it. (I'm sure all the Generation Y kids are seething now that I've posted this reference site since they will no longer be able to speak in code without their folks knowing what they are saying. Bad Grin )

I wish there was an English Protection Society. I'd support it. I am already thrilled that there is an Apostrophe Protection Society (apostrophe.org.uk/). Very Happy

Too funny Nonie! Smile

So according to the urban dictionary, vitals is: "A Paintball contest where only hits to the back, chest or head count as eliminations. Hits to the legs, arms or shoulders do not count. Often played with VitalsGear which shows the vital organs on the game and tournament shirts, tank tops and protective brain caps."

Who knew! Laughing Is it possible you were once a hardcore paintballer, mb935? Very Happy
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Haha, that definition seems so off havana8 I guess my suggestion didn't help, huh? LOL @ you asking if mb935 was once a hardcore paintballer. Laughing

Oooh, I found another use of the word "vitals" which was probably the meaning behind the question.

Quote:
1. check your vitals

To check your email, myspace, facebook, blog, and/or any daily essential websites.
Check your vitals.

Get off the computer, xxxxx. I need to check my vitals.

Hey, wanna go get something to eat?
    Sure, but lemme finish checkin' my vitals first.

Source: urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=check%20your%20vitals

Maybe mb935 didn't have a complete profile set up so some of those details were missing?

And now that I have added this information to my head, let me go punch something and pour a little liquor in memory of a time when the English language was sacred. Neutral
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Smile

You guys are confusing me even more now. Especially the facebook comment. I havent replied yet. AND.. i just reread it
"What about vitals? Is that as well?"

Of course the last question doesnt even make sense. So maybe he was typing really fast.

I guess I should just go with the smart remark and let him reply asking a straight forward question if thats what he wants to know as suggested earlier...

This is probably why Ive been single for so long - its really much easier.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Think Hmm...

I agree with you mb935, the smart remark might be the best way to go. It could be that he was typing on his phone and his Autocorrect feature changed the words from what he meant to say. So you're better off sticking to the meaning you know.

Have you seen the website with a collection of some auto-correct mistakes?
damnyouautocorrect.com/category/best-of-dyac/
ava10
5% products discount

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Nonie aka AD wrote:
I'm sure all the Generation Y kids are seething now that I've posted this reference site since they will no longer be able to speak in code without their folks knowing what they are saying. Bad Grin

Nonie, I'm Gen Y and need to refer to UD from time to time-- believe me, it often gets it wrong so people usually end up exposing themselves and there are pranksters who deliberately put up false definitions for the "folks" to trip over, so no worries there. Bad Grin Wink The big trend now is to use the throwback phrases from the 90s, when we were too little to know what they meant. It keeps the younger kids (Gen Z??), who are exhausting with their tech slang btw, out of the convo. Bad Grin

Your comment about the English Protection Society leaves me torn. I cringe at the general debasement of the language and I worry about the semicolon more than the apostrophe. However, I also see these changes as inevitable because language necessarily evolves over time. We're certainly not speaking in Old English anymore. Besides, Shakespeare wrote in the slang of his day and is often vulgar, although today his work is considered some of the best English ever written. **Sigh** I guess I'll join you in pouring out a little Louis...

mb935, sorry to get off topic btw! Please let us know what he actually meant (uh if it's not personal)! Very Happy
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:08 am      Reply with quote
You guys are so on target! I cringe daily on FB when I read postings that abuse the colon, semi-colon and apostrophe. My family laughs at me trying to control myself from correcting. Arrggghh!
And don't get me started on auto-correct! I have to post and reply ONLY from my PC with the extra large screen. Seems if I try to tag and post from my smartphone I end up tagging total strangers. Worse than drunk dialing, random tagging!
Mb935- I am even more confused by his question now, but I am agreeing that it sounds like quick typing or an auto-corrrect issue.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:52 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Seems if I try to tag and post from my smartphone I end up tagging total strangers. Worse than drunk dialing, random tagging!

hahahaha... Laughing so that's you that I'm always getting weird random tags from...!? lol Very Happy jk - but I do get an awful lot of weird random fb tags and think wth? Bad Grin
rmc7
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:40 am      Reply with quote
When i was young vitals or vital statistics were (as far as men were concerned) a womans weight and measurments. That was many moons ago!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I wonder if mb935 ever found out what her friend meant. Think All the suggestions in this thread seem plausible so color me intrigued.
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Actually no, not yet (if ever). Smile

He was only writing during the week anyway. I wrote back on thursday. So... if i dont hear back by next weekend then I probably annoyed him by being smart.

Whatever, now that my PMS is over Im back to feeling like whatever happens is ok with me.

RMC7 - he better not be asking my weight. Smile

and THANKS again everyone!!
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
He responded. But didnt say anything about what I freaked out over. Just told me he has a son. And.. that was about it.

His responses are very sparse and at this point I dont even know where to go with it - if at all.

Oh well - just wanted to finish the story. Smile
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
mb935 wrote:
He responded. But didnt say anything about what I freaked out over. Just told me he has a son. And.. that was about it.

His responses are very sparse and at this point I dont even know where to go with it - if at all.

Oh well - just wanted to finish the story. Smile

Odd...
I wonder whether he wasn't the one guessing that it's hip to talk like that and it just backfired on him so he realized he might as well act his age and quit trying so hard? Bad Grin

Oh well, thanks for the update.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |