Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Anyone color their own hair with non-drug store brands?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rose4421

Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:09 am      Reply with quote
My colorist very nicely offered to suggest a color I could use on my roots in between colorings. Then she said she wasn't familiar with drug store brands, but she recommends a semi permanent level 6 or 7 warm. Since the drug store brands don't work that way, I wound up getting Wella Color Charm demi permanent at Ricky's in what I thought was exactly what she said--the "warm" surprised me, since my hair color is a reddish brown. I would have figured it'd be "red." Anyway, my roots came out fine, but more like my root color with grey coverage than a match to the rest of my hair (I really had to do it to cover the greys anyway).

Then I read a thread on this forum talking all about how easy it is to dye your own hair with the Wella products and how great it comes out, and I was inspired. But what I'm wondering is, if my colorist recommended level 6 or 7 in semi permanent, is that what I should be looking for in permanent as well? It seems lighter than my hair color, but I also heard that women should always pick one color lighter since they always think their hair is darker than it is. I just don't want to wind up with too light hair if I use that color level!
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
I have pro color shipped in and I mix and apply myself. I mix half 7 neutral (need this for proper and believable grey coverage) and half 7/1 ash to kill the red. I put two blue shots (pure blue pigment) to kill orange pigments. I end up with a shiny level 6 chocolate brown. I do a better job than any colorist I've ever been to. I do not use the stuff from Sally's, the Color Charm looks dull in my opinion. Wella makes other lines that have tons more shine. (Color Touch for example)

Please don't attempt to move to permanent color till you have a clear understanding of the chemicals and the level system, it will turn out very badly. Semi is fine because its only deposit color, but permanent lifts and deposits. You need to take into consideration the stuff that is left on your hair when the darker pigments get lifted off.

http://killerstrands.blogspot.com/

Read everything there is to read here first if you want to start DIY hair color. It was very helpful to me. Then do about a million strand tests. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
I have pro color shipped in and I mix and apply myself. I mix half 7 neutral (need this for proper and believable grey coverage) and half 7/1 ash to kill the red. I put two blue shots (pure blue pigment) to kill orange pigments. I end up with a shiny level 6 chocolate brown. I do a better job than any colorist I've ever been to. I do not use the stuff from Sally's, the Color Charm looks dull in my opinion. Wella makes other lines that have tons more shine. (Color Touch for example)

Please don't attempt to move to permanent color till you have a clear understanding of the chemicals and the level system, it will turn out very badly. Semi is fine because its only deposit color, but permanent lifts and deposits. You need to take into consideration the stuff that is left on your hair when the darker pigments get lifted off.

Read everything there is to read here first if you want to start DIY hair color. It was very helpful to me. Then do about a million strand tests. Laughing

I DO read the killerstrands blog but I'm curious which brand you use because your colour "recipe" is very intriguing to me -- I'm looking to do a similar colour.

TIA
rose4421

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the advice, Ava with wings! I am worried and hesitant, but would definitely like to try it eventually. My wallet just can't afford to keep having it done professionally. I will definitely read up.

I second the question about which brand you currently use instead! Smile
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:17 am      Reply with quote
I am so afraid to colour my own hair. I always got it done professionally because I have seen bad job done on some heads and I don't want that type of embarrassment.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
I use Wella Koleston Perfect for the roots and Wella Color Touch for the lengths. The blue pigment I throw in both is the Paul Mitchel Blue shots. I can't get the grey coverage without using the Koleston Perfect, the others don't cover as well. My hair pulls an absolute ton of orange and red tones, hence the drastic counter-tones.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
I can't handle getting it done professionally anymore, it always looks so terrible when I get it done. If you've had experiences like me, just remember, no matter how it turns out doing it yourself, it can never look as bad as when you shell out $200 and have to walk home wearing a black mass of boiled looking hair. I've never gotten any other results from those so called "professionals".

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:31 am      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
I can't handle getting it done professionally anymore, it always looks so terrible when I get it done. If you've had experiences like me, just remember, no matter how it turns out doing it yourself, it can never look as bad as when you shell out $200 and have to walk home wearing a black mass of boiled looking hair. I've never gotten any other results from those so called "professionals".

I would not tolerate that! I would go back and make them fix it or ask for a refund and go somewhere else and get them to fix it. It is hard to find a good hair colorist.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
I'd never let them touch my hair ever again. "Fixing" over saturated hair color requires stripping the color from my hair, leaving me in way worse shape than they put me in in the first place, no thanks!! Keep in mind I'm in my thirties and have been to dozens and dozens of salons, and the same result has happened.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
Good stylists don't generally hang out in the Midwest I guess. And they certainly don't understand hair with any sort of atypical ethnicity. (I'm not a wispy haired blonde like most girls here)

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:21 am      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:

I actually liked Wella Colour Charm!
Used to get a golden brown shade and it looks so nice on me Smile
But I kind of got tired of doing that, and w a couple arm injuried in the past year or so have not dyed my own hair.

I also like the Sebastian hair gloss,but haven't bought that in ages.
I don't have any grey hair at all,so these might not be good for grey hair.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |