Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

SUNSCREEN selection help needed...lol
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Shiseid0_0bsessi0n
5% products discount

Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:29 am      Reply with quote
Laughing hey ladies.,.. I am so clueless..
SHiseido has sunscreen that is spf 15 or 18 around there for 25
OIL OF OLAY has spf 15 for 5 bucks...

what is the diffrence cant I just buy the oil olay one, cause it's cheaper.

what is the diffrence? why does one cost more than the other? diffrent ingredients or what?

please help

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:13 am      Reply with quote
I had heard that spf 30 doesn't mean twice the protection of 15 and that after 15 the increase in protection is smaller than say spf4 and 8. That said, if you live in a climate with lots of sun or reflected light (or holes in the ozone thanks to climate change...thank you Mr Bush Mad ) I would go for the highest that you can wear/ afford
Liz Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:41 am      Reply with quote
Hiya, I think it's fair to say that you are paying more for the Shiseido one because... it is Shiseido! Likewise you can get even cheaper supermarket brand sunscreens if the pricepoint is important and they will do the job.
Olay is nice though.... just not considered a "higher end" range so the cost isnt as much. Advertising dollars are what add so much to the end cost ( as well as brand name alone) .... although Olay advertise a lot, they also count on huge volume sales by being available in virtually every shop in the world! The more they sell... the better pricepoint for the retail end, volume!

I think we'd probably all keel over if we knew the exact cost of cosmetic raw materials but it's a "luxury" so we love to buy them to make ourselves feel better. ( and look better!) Spoken by a true skincare and makeup addict for about 30 years... I would have definitely been able to buy a house outright instead if I added it all up...probably best I don't ever do that! Nor let my husband ever really know how much "we" have invested in my face over the years... lol... but I wouldn't have it any other way!
Allicsirp
5% products discount

Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:00 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
I had heard that spf 30 doesn't mean twice the protection of 15 and that after 15 the increase in protection is smaller than say spf4 and 8. That said, if you live in a climate with lots of sun or reflected light (or holes in the ozone thanks to climate change...thank you Mr Bush Mad ) I would go for the highest that you can wear/ afford
Liz Cool

LOL...I had to laugh on this one. Now our President has been blamed for holes in the ozone layer? If...and I must put an emphasis on the word "if"....the ozone layer has holes in it, one particular person cannot be blamed or even be capable of causing that to happen in the last four years...please, this is a skin forum, not a political venue for president bashing! Rolling Eyes

Anyway...Olay products are some of the best. I read an article (can't remember where) that anything higher than SPF 15 is not any better than some of the higher numbers. As with our babies and young children, we need to reapply the SPF and keep a good watch on how long we are out in the sun. As with everything we do, moderation is the key.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:49 am      Reply with quote
Just make sure you are buying a broad protection sunscreen since SPF is an indication of UVB protection only.

I have a couple of favorites screens, and Shiseido 55 is one of them. It's pretty stable too.

-Cheri
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |