Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pictures pictures pictures....really a great tool
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
I have recently realized just how important taking pictures has been to use in a self improvement plan. In 2007 when I came to this forum I took pictures that I used as "before shots" for facial exercises. After taking these shots I was really discouraged but it gave me a starting point to evaluate any change. Since 2007 I have done facial exercises, used many devices, and tried different skincares products. Many things I have tried have worked very well but a tool that I have used that verified my changes was a camera. I now consider it a tool in my skincare bag. I can see on photos the changes and know if what I am doing it making a difference. Also, it has been instrumental in finding a hair style that is most flattering along with a color that is complimentary. I always thought that I could just look in the mirror and tell what looked good.....after taking pictures and studying my face at a deeper level I am shocked at how much I missed. So here's to a camera being a critical tool for your own make over.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
I recently cut about 4" off my hair due to some pictures I came across of myself. I realized I look better at a shoulder length, more classically styled look vs too long. Part of what it is - is knowing "your" style, your look and not getting locked into something that really isn't great. The camera tells all.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
Absolutely! A picture is a reality check. There is a discrepancy between the mirror and reality. I live by my camera phone. When its time for my upgrade, i choose a phone based on the camera.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:19 am      Reply with quote
You are sooo right I just caught a sight of me on Skype!(on the phone to DH) Oh boy horrid Embarassed
I thought I wasnt looking too bad till I saw that picture, baad hair , so Mon morn I am making that call to get it all chopped off, different colour and chopped.( I scrape it back into a pony most of the time anyway , who am I kidding? Chop it off at least it will have a proper style.)
Thank you Toby you have motivated me to action

Rolling Eyes
Thank you

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:53 am      Reply with quote
I agree with you 100% on that it really is the best tool for tracking your progress and weeding out the products that work opposed to the ones that dont.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
ava10
5% products discount

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
This is motivating me to get started on a "Skin journal" so I can keep track of my (lack of) progress. Thank you!

I agree that cameras are far more objective than that reflection in the mirror. And with zoom to actual size feature ... whoa Cool
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
You are sooo right I just caught a sight of me on Skype!(on the phone to DH) Oh boy horrid Embarassed
I thought I wasnt looking too bad till I saw that picture, baad hair , so Mon morn I am making that call to get it all chopped off, different colour and chopped.( I scrape it back into a pony most of the time anyway , who am I kidding? Chop it off at least it will have a proper style.)
Thank you Toby you have motivated me to action

Rolling Eyes
Thank you

Awesome! I hear you: Re - scraping it back into a ponytail... Love the "who am I kidding" comment.
A proper style really says so much. I'm glad to finally own that knowledge. Toby!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
ava10 wrote:
This is motivating me to get started on a "Skin journal" so I can keep track of my (lack of) progress. Thank you!

I agree that cameras are far more objective than that reflection in the mirror. And with zoom to actual size feature ... whoa Cool

The less zoom, the better Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:13 am      Reply with quote
I think photos can be good for overall assessments of progress with skincare and facial exercises. I guess that is the point that Toby is trying to make. But, I don't think a photo always accurately portrays what a person looks like in reality.

I received an email from Lou Lou of Ageless a while back. It explained why most people don't look good in photos. It said "If you face the camera with your chin up, the camera won't see a glorious smile, it will see a massive chin sticking out in front of your other, weirdly small features. If you put your head down and look up seductively, it will see very big hair, big forehead, big circles under the eyes, medium nose, non-existent mouth and chin (and body). Whichever part of you is nearest the lens will be magnified out of all perspective, while the rest of you recedes eerily into the distance. A camera can and will give you an unbelievably big nose, huge breasts (yay!) or a very prominent stomach (boo). Anything close to the camera is drawn into the foreground as though the entire face has melted and the features at the front have been pulled forward dramatically. I think this is one reason why so many models, actors, famous beauties have rather flat faces, and equally flat bodies... There's just so much less that can go wrong on film if you don't have a very steep topography."

"Even the most celebrated beauties in the world don't like the effect of a camera close to their faces. The closer the lens, the more distorted and convex the subject will look, even Angelina Jolie, or Kate Moss look warped and peculiar when taken close up with a digital camera or phone. This is why they run for the hills and put their hands up between themselves and the lens when a camera is pointed in their faces. These are gorgeous people... Don't expect the laws of physics to do you any more favours than it does them!"

"The way to look yourself in a photo is to have the photographer at least six feet away, then zoom in."

"That's how every close-up you see in a magazine is done. The further away the lens is, the more flattering the picture."

I think this also explains why in some cases plain looking people take great photos and some very attractive people take horrible photos. It also explains why zooming in distorts everything. Most of the photos we take to track progress are close ups. This information makes sense. It sure makes me feel better when I take a bad photo.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
I must admit that i learned a lot from her newsletters. they've been silent for a while now which is a shame as they were quite informative.
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have to agree, photos are not so much as a vanity tool but a reality check!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |