Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Jane Iredale The Handi Brush
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!
Those of you who own it, how do you clean it?
Is it ok to wash it with soap and water?
Just want to make sure , so it does not fall apart on me after wash Rolling Eyes
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
With all brushes I use a specified brush cleanser. JI makes one, so does body shop, and tons of other companies. When in a pinch I've used a gel facial cleanser without any problems.

And be sure to lay the brush FLAT while drying, standing it up will cause the water to go down into the handle and your hairs will rot. :-&
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
A lot of makeup artists told me that as long as I'm only using it on myself, it's fine to wash it with water, once a week or so.

Everyone has told me to lay it flat as well. Upright will can ruin it, because it's handknotted...

I don't use cleanser, just water and brush it over a soft cloth to take out the excess. Lay flat to dry. Special brush cleansers are a waste on money. Water, or even baby shampoo is completely fine.
Penelope
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Speaking of the Handi Brush...do you notice much of a difference with the application of JI pressed powder using this brush? I just purchased the powder last week but didn't buy the Handi Brush as they suggested. Instead I am using the BE loose powder foundation brush. I'd rather not buy another brush if it's not necessary.
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
If it helps any, I wouldn't have spent $67 something bucks on it if I didn't see it being used on others...there was a difference in the way it looked.

I was skeptical at first as well. There was no way in hell I was going to pay that much for a clump of hair on a handle. I watched the girl use the handi, and regular powder brushes to demo. The handi side looked a lot better.

BUT, none of the other powder brushes had the same shaped head as the Handi and that could be why...the handi could just be designed better. It's definitely a high quality brush though.

Maybe you could go to other mineral makeup sites and see what brush they use? Or, use whatever brush is on hand before splurging. How does the BE look now? I'd go to a spa and ask for a demo of the brush...you could bring your own makeup, and they should let you use the brush yourself.

(in case you were wondering, I'm a guy and I bought both items to cover redness from skin resurfacing procedures I'm having.)
Penelope
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
That's awesome - and I bet no one can even tell you have coverage on - at least I don't look like I do. Wink
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
It really is awesome! My dermatologist recommended it, so I went and looked, I didn't expect to be impressed.
I stayed for an hour and a half making sure I got it right. I checked it in every light...It looked nice, and "normal".

It can look a little crappy on dry skin though, but other than that, I was shocked to see how realistic it looked.

Very Happy
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Dalguy, it does look clumpy if your skin is dry. It sort of deposits more in the dry areas. But if your skin is well moisturized it looks awesome.
BTW I paid $30 on skin-etc.com
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
One thing I've found with using the handy brush is that you need to be a bit more careful to tap it on the side of the powder container or you will get too much powder in one area. When I say "more" careful, I felt that I had to tap better with the handy brush than I did with the BE brushes I had been using. That's not necessarily bad, it's just a difference.

JUDY

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:00 am      Reply with quote
Judy, do you use the loose or the pressed bases??
Mabsy

Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:46 am      Reply with quote
I love my JI Handi so much that I'm considering buying another one to alternate with the one I have. I use it for my JI pressed base and would not go back to the BE brushes or any other brushes I tried.

I wash mine mainly with gentle shampoo. When washing it (or any other brush for that matter) you have to be careful not to let any water into the ferrule as this potentially shortens the life of your brush (may weaken the glue that holds it all together causing your brush to shed). So, when I wash mine I let the water run down the brush (with the bristles pointing down NOT UP) and just gently clean it between my shampoo covered fingers. Then rinse (also pointing downwards), squeeze out excess and lie flat with the bristles sticking out over the bathroom counter. I sometimes quickly roll the brush handle between my hands to get the bristles to evenly distribute so they dry quicker and in a better shape.
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:28 am      Reply with quote
I use the pressed base and tried it with other brushes and it never looked right. I got my Handi on ebay for 30.00 US and it is genuine. They had some there yesterday and I think they were around 30.00 CDN but I am not sure they are genuine.

Sherri
Penelope
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:20 am      Reply with quote
I was afraid you'd all love this brush - now I have to purchase it TODAY. Good thing I didn't put my credit card away after just having placed my first EDS order: Yonka Gel Nettoyant Cleansing Gel and Decleor Huile Demaquillante Cleansing Oil. If I can make it one month without buying anything else, I will treat myself to the Cellcosmet Eye Contour Cream I have heard so much about on this forum. Wish me luck - 1 month starting today!
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Penelope wrote:
I was afraid you'd all love this brush - now I have to purchase it TODAY. Good thing I didn't put my credit card away after just having placed my first EDS order: Yonka Gel Nettoyant Cleansing Gel and Decleor Huile Demaquillante Cleansing Oil. If I can make it one month without buying anything else, I will treat myself to the Cellcosmet Eye Contour Cream I have heard so much about on this forum. Wish me luck - 1 month starting today!

Best of luck to you Penelope! Smile

-Cheri
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy! Thanks a lot for such a detailed description. I also wash my brushes with my hair shampoo, but I was not sure if I could also do it with JI brush. I guess because my other brushes are not that expensive Wink
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:19 am      Reply with quote
lianne wrote:
Judy, do you use the loose or the pressed bases??

I used it with loose powder.

JUDY

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:23 am      Reply with quote
I clean mine with MAC brush cleaner Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Penelope wrote:
Speaking of the Handi Brush...do you notice much of a difference with the application of JI pressed powder using this brush? I just purchased the powder last week but didn't buy the Handi Brush as they suggested. Instead I am using the BE loose powder foundation brush. I'd rather not buy another brush if it's not necessary.
I’m in the same boat! I bought my JI pressed foundation samples fromwww.skin-etc.com but I didn’t get the Handi brush ‘cuz I figured I’d be able to use my BE foundation brush. WRONG!!! I’m definitely going to invest in the Handi brush because I just can’t get a good application of my pressed foundation using the BE brush. The tapered surface of it makes doesn’t allow you to grab enough pressed powder to ‘buff’ into your skin! Even if you don’t get the Handi brush, I’d say you definitely need to use a brush with a flat surface like that of the Handi brush. If you have the BE Kabuki brush, that might work. But the regular BE brush is just going to leave you frustrated – I mean, I can’t even determine yet whether or not I even LIKE the JI pressed powder because I can’t get it on my face!!

Carrie
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Penelope wrote:
I’m in the same boat! I bought my JI pressed foundation samples fromwww.skin-etc.com but I didn’t get the Handi brush ‘cuz I figured I’d be able to use my BE foundation brush. WRONG!!! I’m definitely going to invest in the Handi brush because I just can’t get a good application of my pressed foundation using the BE brush. The tapered surface of it makes doesn’t allow you to grab enough pressed powder to ‘buff’ into your skin! Even if you don’t get the Handi brush, I’d say you definitely need to use a brush with a flat surface like that of the Handi brush. If you have the BE Kabuki brush, that might work. But the regular BE brush is just going to leave you frustrated – I mean, I can’t even determine yet whether or not I even LIKE the JI pressed powder because I can’t get it on my face!!
Carrie

Well, you guys are probably going so see this as heresy, but I've never used a brush of any kind with my pressed JI powder. It came with a powder puff and no one ever told me I should use a brush with it, believe it or not! Shock I could have figured it out for myself, but being the creature of habit that I am, I just didn't bother. Embarassed

I bought a package of puffs and when the one I'm using gets slightly soiled, I just use a new one. Used this way, I have been getting great coverage.

Now that we've discussed it, I will try my handi brush on the next pressed JI powder I buy, but right now since I only have it left around the edges of the compact, don't think any brush would work.

Doing it the old fashioned way,

JUDY

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
That's so funny, Judy. The spa where I purchased the JI specifically told me to throw out the applicator that comes with it because I wouldn't like to coverage. So I never even thought to try it Shock
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
I actually only use my pressed JI for touchups or when I'm in a super hurry and I can get serious coverage with just a few swipes of the puff. When I take more time, I always use the loose powder because I was told that it settles LESS into the lines than the pressed does.

One of these days, I'll settle down enough to give them both a full evaluation, but right now, I'm just too busy! Laughing

JUDY

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |