Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Retin A strength and brands
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, here is yet another post on Retin A! But here goes, cuz I need your advice:

I'm 58 with almost no wrinkles and clear even skin tone even before I started using .025 cream a year ago, but I would like to see my skin glow (and I don't mean because it's red and peeling!)

So, here are my two questions:

I read on this site that one study showed very little difference between .025 and .05. Has anyone actually seen a difference?

I've heard that the Shalaks brand from ADC is a little stronger than Johnson & Johnson which is what I used this last year. Is that really true? If so, would you stay with .025 and switch to Shalaks or up it to J&J's .05 to get that glow? By the way, I'm not sure Retin A will give me that glow in the first place.

Surprised
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard 0.025% is good for pimples while 0.05% is good for wrinkles, so there is a bit of a difference but not much. I am not to familiar with the different brands though.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
Different brands use different base formulas, so it is possible for one product to be more effective than another. For example, tretinoin gel from ADC uses an olive-ester base which is vastly different from the alcohol base used in brand-name Retin-A Gel (which penetrates better due to the alcohol, but is also more drying).

The guideline with retinoids is the use only the strongest necessary to do the job with minimal irritation.

My opinion, at 58, with good skin and tolerating the milder strength well, I wouldn't be increasing strength just to get a glow. I would try exfoliants, mild chemical/enzyme peels etc first (while still using the milder retinoid).
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
I wouldn't be increasing strength just to get a glow. I would try exfoliants, mild chemical/enzyme peels etc first (while still using the milder retinoid).

I didnt actually see that part of your post and completely agree with Josh. Have you tried an illuminator?

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:52 am      Reply with quote
The first retin a I used was the 0.025 shalaks gel then I decided to order the 0.025 and 0.05 cream by johnson&johnson well I wish I had stuck with the gel don't think I'm a fan of the cream it doesn't seem to absorb very well.
I have been alternating each night as I have both strengths, I always thought my skin was sensitive but I have tolerated it well,after the first time I used the 0.05 cream I decided not to use anything the following night just in case it was too much, well the next morning my face was covered in white flakes which washed off easily(no redness).
Personally I prefer the gel so far but haven't tried one stronger than 0.025 yet I saw a site that claimed 0.025 was for pimples and 0.05 was for wrinkles but the only difference I think was on the price they were charging, plenty of people seem to just use the 0.025 and get results so I think long term it doesn;t matter.
Can anyone tell me what their cream smells like mine reminds me of pva glue is this strange?
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:58 am      Reply with quote
Flick24 thats rather unfortunate, its always good to stick with what you have found to work for you.

Are you using any creams over the top or even serums under it?

flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:02 am      Reply with quote
No I cleanse my face, tone then wait 30 mins the cream just seems to sit on my face not sure if I'm supposed to really rub it in till its disappeared but it definantly has a smell to it.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:16 am      Reply with quote
You should be rubbing it in, with most products they need to be rubbed in so that they can fully absorb and penetrate into the skin even further. The good thing about rubbing it in is if you want to use other products with it you will be able to, all you have to do is rub it in wait twentie minutes and then apply something thicker.

flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:23 am      Reply with quote
Thanks echoecho,I'm going to keep rubbing it in and I can use my vit c afterwards I did a quick google search and I'm not alone in thinking it smells like pva glue so that makes me feel a bit better, at the moment I have still been feeling it on the surface of my skin in the morning so I will keep rubbing it in more.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:33 am      Reply with quote
flick24 wrote:
Thanks echoecho,I'm going to keep rubbing it in and I can use my vit c afterwards I did a quick google search and I'm not alone in thinking it smells like pva glue so that makes me feel a bit better, at the moment I have still been feeling it on the surface of my skin in the morning so I will keep rubbing it in more.

What strength is your vit c product?

flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:37 am      Reply with quote
Its obagi 10% professional c serum, its the first I've bought but plan to go higher when its ran out maybe even do a DIY one.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:40 am      Reply with quote
flick24 wrote:
Its obagi 10% professional c serum, its the first I've bought but plan to go higher when its ran out maybe even do a DIY one.

Dont go to high with Vitamin C while using Retin-A 10% should be fine but if it gets to dry just ease it down a bit. Let us know your results?

flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:43 am      Reply with quote
Do you think I should use the vit c before or after the retin a cream?
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:46 am      Reply with quote
flick24 wrote:
Do you think I should use the vit c before or after the retin a cream?

You should use the one with the thinner consistency first as it's more able to penetrate the skin easier.

flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:58 am      Reply with quote
Thanks will use the vit c first then, I have read of people having good results using them as a combo and I'm assuming as vit c stays in in skin for 72 hours that it will still be useful and working with my sunscreen in the a.m, will let you know Smile
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:04 am      Reply with quote
I wish all the Retin-A talk, queries, etc, was all in just one thread! lol Laughing would be so much easier! Everyone could just put all of their Retin-A questions and queries and it would all eventually get some sort of answer Wink
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Josh, what would be your recommendation for a mild chemical peel or exfoliator?

What is an illuminator?
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
An illuminator contains a high amount of mica, basically what mineral powder foundations contain to give you that glow, only with an illuminator it contains so much more mica meaning it's perfect for 'illuminating' the skin. It's a form of makeup and wont do anything to the skin that's not necessary, it will give it a glow.

Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:12 am      Reply with quote
Paula's Choice do some nice ones Flavia. Either in the regular line or Resist (which contain more antioxidants as well as the chemical exfoliants).
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:14 am      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
Paula's Choice do some nice ones Flavia. Either in the regular line or Resist (which contain more antioxidants as well as the chemical exfoliants).

I used the Paulas Choice Resist 10% Glycolic Weekly Treatment and loved it, Josh is right on the mark with these products.

Bermie2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:52 am      Reply with quote
I have been using the Retin A .025% for about 5-6 wks (on my second tube). It's the Shalack's one from ADC. I find it fine, I rub it in, I have to be quick as it sort of drys quickly?

I also have some .05% as well which I want to start using but don't want to push it. I will wait until I finish at least the second tube of the .025%. I bought 3 of each.

My skin is a little drier so I have been adding a moisturiser afterwards.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Wow, Bernie, you are already on your second tube after just 5-6 weeks? I've been on .025 for a whole year and just finishing up my third tube. I think I use a tad more than the pea-size amount.

Here's something I found on another forum. Sorry for the length, but it's interesting.

There is often some confusion between the different forms of Retin-A on the market. Currently, you will see literature on Retin-A, Retin-A Micro and Renova. All three of these brand name medications contain the same active ingredient Tretinoin. The difference in the three products is the vehicle by which the Tretinoin is delivered topically to the skin.

Retin-A There are three different forms of Retin-A., cream, gel and liquid. They are available in different strengths that are available from your physician. Retin-A(tretinoin) is indicated for topical application in the treatment of acne vulgaris. Although the exact mechanism of action is unknown, Retinis thought to loosen and expel existing acne plugs in the skin and prevent new lesions from forming. It directly attacks the primary cause of acne, the plug.

Retin-A Micro (tretinoin gel) microsphere, 0.1% - was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on February 7, 1997, for the tratment of acne vulgaris.This is the first prescription medication utilizing the Microsponge� systems technology. Where as conventional formulations of topical medications are intended to work on the outer layers of the skin; releasing their active ingredients upon application, producing a highly concentrated layer of active ingredient that is rapidly absorbed. The Microsponge� systems can prevent excessive accumulation of medication within surface layer of the skin. Thus, significantly reducing the irritation of effective medication without reducing their efficacy.

Less than one-thousandth of an inch in diameter, each Microsponge system can serve as a reservoir or a closed container to protect certain substances from degradation or absorption, and as an absorbent receptacle to collect undesirable substances. Microsponge technology of entrapment of undersirable substances is believed to contribute to the decrease in reported side effects in the Retin-A Micro system as compared to more traditional methods of delivering Tretinoin the active ingredient in Retin-A.

The novel acne treatment entraps Tretinoin in Microsponge systems and formulates them into a gel. The microspheres hold the medication in reserve, allowing the skin to absorb small amounts of tretinoin over time. Dermatologists who conducted the pivotal clinical studies believe this may be why most Retin-A Micro patients experience little or no irritation. The microspheres themselves remain on top of the skin and are easily washed off when patients shower or wash their face. Retin-A Micro also reduces the appearance of facial shine (oiliness) on the skin's surface.

In clinical studies, the overwhelming majority of Retin-A Micro patients experienced little or no cutaneous irritation in four categories � erythema, peeling, burning/stinging, and itching - at two weeks, the typical peak irritation period for tretinoin.

Renova (tretinoin cream) 0.05% - approved by FDA in 1995, is clinically proven to reduce fine facial wrinkles, fade brown spots and smooth surface roughness. Clinical trial data suggest that the emollient (an agent that softens and soothes the surface to which it is applied) system used in Renova is significantly better than Retin-A's vehicle at minimizing irritancy, the main limiting factor when treating photodamaged skin with retinoids.

All three medications contain the active ingredient Tretinoin, the difference is the delivery system to the different layers of the skin. Retinol, should not be confused with Retin-A, Retin-A Micro or Renova. Retinol is the technical name for (preformed) vitamin A (vitamin A is created in the body from beta-carotene). Cosmetics companies from Estee Lauder to Neutrogena, Avon, and others all have their assortment of products containing retinol or retinyl palmitate, and their claims mirror those made for Retin-A and Renova. Retinol must become all-trans retinoic acid to work like tretinoin, and that process requires a series of steps and changes. The notion that the skin can perform this action with retinol is unproven and considered by many to be unlikely and has not been approved by the FDA for decreasing the signs of aging.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
From Futurederm:

http://www.futurederm.com/2011/10/20/daily-question-what-are-the-differences-between-retin-a-retin-a-micro-renova-differin-and-tazorac/
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
Bermie2 wrote:
I have been using the Retin A .025% for about 5-6 wks (on my second tube). It's the Shalack's one from ADC. I find it fine, I rub it in, I have to be quick as it sort of drys quickly?

I also have some .05% as well which I want to start using but don't want to push it. I will wait until I finish at least the second tube of the .025%. I bought 3 of each.

My skin is a little drier so I have been adding a moisturiser afterwards.

That's expected, tell me which moisturiser are you applying after the Retin-A?

butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:00 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the delineations between retin a, renova, differin, etc.

I have used retin a or differin for years.

When used at night, and a high end 2% salicylic acid product by day, my acne prone skin is clear and gets "the glow."

salicylic products I have used and liked are DDF 10% glycolic oil free gel, and "being true" therapeutic hydrator, essential refining gel, and therapeutic blemish treatment.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |