Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
LED- Infrared Bad for you?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, can someone help me make sense of what I am reading in these two articles:

http://www.skintherapyletter.com/2009/14.5/2.html

and

http://www.osmosisskincare.com/Research/files/Applied_Corneotherapy_Skin_Care.pdf

I am getting that Infrared light (the kind used in LED devices) is actually BAD for skin.... am I wrong?

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
Most of the LED gadgets do not have infrared, they have the visible red light; infrared is invisible, however I believe baby Qasar has both kinda lights, ie infrared and red .....
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't be to concerned about this, this question has been raised in another thread before but the name has escaped me and the idea was dismissed. I use the lightstim which has all three kinds of LED infared, amber, and red.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
I do know that many if not all LED home devices contain some of the infrared light in their arrays.

This is of genuine concern to me, though, since the very same number range of IR light we see in these LED devices is very specifically mentioned in the second article I posted as having negative effects on the collagen in skin.

I know antioxidant serums helps with this (just as they would if you put them on first and then went out in sunlight), but isn't this pointing to the fact that too much of this kind of light (like daily or lengthy treatments, etc) could be bad?

This spring/summer, I used a home LED device for a couple months and stopped because I thought my skin was looking worse after use, not better. This research makes me worry that maybe it isn't as therapeutic for skin as we thought.

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
After giving this a little bit more thought I actually have to agree with you on that, if you have to use an antioxidant serum to combat what the LED is doing then it cant be good for you. Also my skin was looking considerably worse after using it everyday for a few weeks.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:03 am      Reply with quote
just like too much sun is bad for skin, may be too much LED infrared light can be bad for skin too; I dont used LEDs ( only used red low level laser for hair, tried on the skin too for a while in the past)which expalins my ignorance in what gadgets have infrared or not..

Infrared penetrates much deeper into the skin than the red light, thus resulting in deeper damage, I guess....

I think we should pay attention to such studies as the marketers of such gadgets are not going to tell us this kind of info!

On a diffrent note, ( sorry, do not mean to hijack the thread but really wanted to mention this) I stopped using niacinamide as some studies suggessted it can cause skin damage... and honestly my skin has improved since then... but again I am using new actives since that time too...
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
......I stopped using niacinamide as some studies suggessted it can cause skin damage.....

I am about to purchase some niacinamide to make DIY serum, pls quote those studies and start a new tread. Thanks!
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
daler wrote:
......I stopped using niacinamide as some studies suggessted it can cause skin damage.....

I am about to purchase some niacinamide to make DIY serum, pls quote those studies and start a new tread. Thanks!

There is a thread alread on EDS, i am not very good at the " search" here..so please try searching... also, I did not read any studies but people here on EDS mentioned those on the other forum.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:10 am      Reply with quote
jenp7 wrote:
Okay, can someone help me make sense of what I am reading in these two articles:

http://www.skintherapyletter.com/2009/14.5/2.html

and

http://www.osmosisskincare.com/Research/files/Applied_Corneotherapy_Skin_Care.pdf

I am getting that Infrared light (the kind used in LED devices) is actually BAD for skin.... am I wrong?

The first article says that:

* Higher energy Infrared radiation (IRA) appears to cause some skin damage but not in the same way that UV light does. They say that there is evidence that IRA reduces the creation of new collagen and speeds up the destruction of collagen you currently have (by increasing the activity of a collagen-digesting enzyme called MMP-1) in a way that unfortunately increases oxidative stress.

* However, it does not specifically mention how much IRA is too much.

The second article is not particularly helpful, imo.

FWIW, for equal dosages, UV penetrates the skin more deeply and is more harmful (because it's higher in energy). However, more IR light hits our skin than UV light, so although weaker, it may also be just as much of a concern.

My understanding that is that specific wavelengths of IR light have been proven to speed up skin healing, but that when you look at all wavelengths of IR light, there may be some undesirable skin aging effects. Of course, the dosage is a key factor, too, it might be one of those things where a lower dosage may be net beneficial, while higher doses may not. This is the extent of my knowledge from what little I have read.

HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:58 am      Reply with quote
Let me add a couple other caveats. One, other studies (and it seems more of them) have found beneficial results, and two, one of the main studies they cite is decades old (perhaps in this old study, the light emitting device they were using wasn't as focusing and emitted light of other wavelengths, too).

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
So is this bad for your skin or not? I use my DPL Therapy System almost every day for 18 minutes and now I'm worried.
mel7933
5% products discount

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
echoecho wrote:
I wouldn't be to concerned about this, this question has been raised in another thread before but the name has escaped me and the idea was dismissed.

Does anyone know which thread this is?
Or quote how this idea was dismissed.
havana8

Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
mel7933 wrote:
echoecho wrote:
I wouldn't be to concerned about this, this question has been raised in another thread before but the name has escaped me and the idea was dismissed.

Does anyone know which thread this is?
Or quote how this idea was dismissed.

I'm wondering if it might be one of these? hmm

Infrared Radiation – LED Lights
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=35559

Can LED devices damage skin??
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=39886

Study: LED Light And Green Tea Cream Smooth Facial Wrinkles
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=35494

Scientific finding: LEDs may reduce wrinkles
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31184

Smile
mel7933
5% products discount

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you very much for the links, havana8!

In the 'Can LED devices damage skin??' thread, the head of LightStim replied: "The study used a water cooled MACHINE, it is not a device- it is a MACHINE, and it puts out 360 to 720 Joules and 520 watts."

I have doubts the German study wouldn't have taken the watts and joules into consideration, when making this very clear recommendation:"In addition, unnecessary exposure to IRA radiation from artificial irradiation devices should be avoided."

I just bought a red/infrared LED device one week ago... not sure if I should return it. Confused
JoanInGA

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have a LightStim and used it according to instructions, daily, for 5 mos. I have no doubt that the skin under my eyes worsened during that time so I discontinued my treatments.
mel7933
5% products discount

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
JoanInGA wrote:
I have a LightStim and used it according to instructions, daily, for 5 mos. I have no doubt that the skin under my eyes worsened during that time so I discontinued my treatments.

Hi
Sorry to hear...may I ask how your skin worsened? 'Fat loss', wrinkles, pigmentation...?
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:42 am      Reply with quote
mel7933 wrote:
JoanInGA wrote:

Hi
Sorry to hear...may I ask how your skin worsened? 'Fat loss', wrinkles, pigmentation...?

Sorry also to hear that it hasn't worked for you. Unfortunately we all don't respond the same. There are some people that have used a serum that Lightstim sells or one that they made themselves if the light tended to dry them out. I am sure if you are interested in selling your light there would be a member here interested in buying it from you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
JoanInGA wrote:

Now let that be a lesson to all (good quality) LED users... Daily treatments forever + ever are counter productive.

@JoanInGa...If you ever come back have a look at the AALS thread.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
beauty_fan
5% products discount

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a newbie so I can't post links, but if you visit myevado dot com/studies/ there are lots of studies on LED.

That said, I haven't read many of them. I purchased a salon-grade device on the secondary market that reportedly uses only 633 nm wavelength, and I've been wondering if I should have shelled out more money to get the second gen device that also included near infrared light in the 633-830 nm wavelength. But I will be content with my (new to me) all-red LED device, which will still be heads and shoulders above doing absolutely nothing, instead on focusing what is "the best."
Jimm
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi beauty-fan …and welcome.

That sounds interesting. Would you mind sharing the brand of the led you purchased?

Thanks in advance.

5% products discount

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
I purchased a 2004 Lumiere.
Jimm
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks beauty-fan.

Is that the Omnilux Lumiere?

5% products discount

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Similar. It looks the same, but it's an early model that uses only 633nm wavelength. And I can't be positive who the manufacturer is. The company has been sold a couple times, I think.
Jimm
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks.

It must be exiting to have your own salon power LED device.
I own (and sometime use) a high standard LED but it’s a handheld one and I just can’t stick to the routine for more than three or four weeks in a row. I wish I would have purchased a panel device back then.

Anyway, I hope you will share your journey with the Lumiere. Good luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone - Yes, I have been questionsing the
samething on LED's - are the amber only LED's better for stimulating collagen as opposed to the red, infared and amber LED's - like AALS??
Have used the Lumiere for 10 sessions and my skin plumped nicely and held the "plumpness" for
several days longer than my AALS. However, the
Lumiere is a much stronger machine with more joules. Any thoughts on amber only vs
red, infrared and amber?? Anyone see any studies comparing effectiveness of one vs the other?? thx DiPhx

Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |