Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dry Green Smoothie
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
UmEnis
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:07 am      Reply with quote
While I realize the value of fresh green smoothies in my skin care repertoire, as we move into Winter here, I am thinking to buy a dry blend.

From a practical perspective: I can't even get fresh greens in the Winter here. We have some spinach around as the cool fall weather came in, but that'll go quickly. Produce here is seasonal, the only markets are farmer's markets in this town.

Also, from a macrobiotic perspective, Winter is the perfect time for dried greens.

I know people inherently think that fresh is better, but where I live a lot of vegetables are dried for the winter: okra for example, black eye peas (which are eaten fresh in the summer) a favorite green for soup. Think dried beans, they were once fresh beans. They still have huge nutritional value.

So after that whole introduction Smile Is there a green smoothie blend that anyone would recommend? I would really prefer something available from vitacost since I'm going to be placing a big order from there soon.

ETA: I see a lot of them have echinacea and ginseng... not sure I want those, though I guess I'm cool if its siberian (Eleuthero) but the licorice and milk thistle would be great for me.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:01 am      Reply with quote
I have one that I have been drinking for over 6 years and I love and trust it.
It is a specialty blend called Tonic Alchemy from
Dragonherbs.
http://www.dragonherbs.com/prodinfo.asp?number=686
I have referred (and converted) my hubby's sinus/allergist EN&T doctor and he keeps it stocked in his office for he and all his staff. He swears it keeps his immune system healthy and he sends me a container every Christmas.
I also mix it from time to time with Garden of Life Perfect Food Raw from Amazon.com to make it go farther.
I am a green smoothie junkie and drink one mixed with OJ just about every day with my coffee as a breakfast.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:25 am      Reply with quote
I loved my green smoothies..but just started using Green Vibrance - which is a powder. I have to say, it is so much more convientent.less mess, storage..no shopping for all the greens. No waste. I bought mine at Whole Body..but have found it on Amazon in a large containter for quite a savings.

It makes getting those greens so much easier. I'm a believer. I mix mine with frozen bixed berries and a half or quarter of a frozen bannana...I blend with 45 calorie almond milk.
JenJ
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:52 am      Reply with quote
While I like to use fresh greens in my morning smoothie, it's not always possible so I order my organic powders from Z Natural Foods (online). My mainstays from them are the organic wheatgrass powder, Rose Hips powder, and Beet Root powder. They have rotating monthly specials, so I stock up when I see those items.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Smoothies do not need to be green, there are equally skin healthy phytonutrients in produce that is yellow, red, orange and blue/ purple/ black. I eat a ton of frozen mixed berries year round in fruit salads or smoothies. Green fruits you might be able to source fresh or frozen include avocado, green grapes, gooseberries, green apples, kiwi fruit, lime.

Flash frozen green vegetables are another good option, as they can be more nutritious than fresh. Both spinach and broccoli soften with freezing, which means they only need the lightest heating to be suitable for, say, a vitamin and mineral packed winter soup, Asian curry or pasta dish. Cool

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
UmEnis
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Smoothies do not need to be green, there are equally skin healthy phytonutrients in produce that is yellow, red, orange and blue/ purple/ black. I eat a ton of frozen mixed berries year round in fruit salads or smoothies. Green fruits you might be able to source fresh or frozen include avocado, green grapes, gooseberries, green apples, kiwi fruit, lime.

Flash frozen green vegetables are another good option, as they can be more nutritious than fresh. Both spinach and broccoli soften with freezing, which means they only need the lightest heating to be suitable for, say, a vitamin and mineral packed winter soup, Asian curry or pasta dish. Cool

There's not much in the winter here: potatoes, onions, garlic, cauliflower, and lots and lots and lots of citrus. You can find parsley sometimes. They save the hothouse space for cucumbers and tomatoes. The winter green veggies are used dried... beans, lentils, and dried green soup, dried (or nowadays people freeze) okra. There aren't many commercially frozen veggies, I think I've seen green peas and a mixed veggie blend, but their not very good quality. I haven't seen any commercially frozen fruit blends.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Cripes, in my ignorance I thought everyone could get to a WalMart once a month or so! Shock My situation is the reverse of yours, no farmers' markets in this deprived city but there are supermarkets within bus/ taxi/ car distance. Do you have outdoor space to grow winter greens in a domestic glasshouse or can you freeze your own broccoli and berries when stuff is in season?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:26 am      Reply with quote
I like Vitamineral Green, a dried blend of greens, algaes, beneficial bacterial strains, and other goodies Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Cripes, in my ignorance I thought everyone could get to a WalMart once a month or so! Shock My situation is the reverse of yours, no farmers' markets in this deprived city but there are supermarkets within bus/ taxi/ car distance. Do you have outdoor space to grow winter greens in a domestic glasshouse or can you freeze your own broccoli and berries when stuff is in season?

Actually, I forgot about spinach! We have a ton of spinach in the winter here! Then in the spring we get wild greens (watercress and others) growing all over the place. You see all of these kids wandering around with bags picking greens for their grandmama (my generation doesn't eat them anymore... only me Sad and they think that's hilarious because im not from here)

So, do you think there is value in the dried green powders, Firefox...

Honestly, as a sheltered American I would have probably said no... but now having lived in a place with some of the healthiest people I know, who absolutely thrive eating dried vegetables in the winter (not everyday of course, but at least 2-3 times a week) I wonder if I was being a nutritional "snob"

I ran into Traditional Chinese Medicine when my third son had eczema and while I am still in no way macrobiotic, I now see the wisdom in eating what's growing around you, when its around...

But even though we have the fresh smoothie issue solved, I wonder if I could get some benefit with the powders... cause with these growing mouths to feed I already spend a good chunk of my day in the kitchen, I'm really not looking forward to add the blender to my list! Would I get any significant benefit by just eating cooked greens and using the powder as a suppliment?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |