Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Exercise and Diet for Fat Loss Staying in Shape
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
flfl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
So I'm curious about what is popular here for Getting and staying in shape?

General diet,activity, exercise routines.

I know for one thing, I am tooo sedentary.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:12 am      Reply with quote
I think you need to pick your poison. haha.

Seriously..it is a personal journey; the decision to be fit. I think different things work for different people and that means finding something that works for you.

You mentioned being sedentary. So, if this means you overall dislike physical exercise... you will never love it..so I'd work more on an eating plan that works for you.

I just met a girl..who to me looked naturally skinny. She told me she was not..she was fat most of her life.. she had lost 60 pounds..and I asked her how she did it.."what did you eat?" She said..she never tried to cut down eating..that was unrealistic to her. She joined a hulahoop group and hulahooped every Saturday and prepared to hulahoop for two half marathons.

I thought that was interesting..that is how she did it.

Myself..I find eating right is what gets me fit..and exercise makes me strong..but not thin.

I do the six week body makeover eating plan. Hands down it works for me... counting calories never worked...low carb didn't..but this is the silver bullet for me. It is eating six times a day..drinking lots of water..and pairing small amounts of protien with everything you eat. The weight just falls off. I don't even listen to any other diet advice.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
hotdocgirl wrote:

I do the six week body makeover eating plan. Hands down it works for me... counting calories never worked...low carb didn't..but this is the silver bullet for me. It is eating six times a day..drinking lots of water..and pairing small amounts of protien with everything you eat. The weight just falls off. I don't even listen to any other diet advice.

I am trying to eat the exact same way, but I have trouble remembering to eat all those times!
MaryClaire
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:45 am      Reply with quote
Try not eating any wheat products...that really works for me!

Mary
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:57 am      Reply with quote
hotdocgirl wrote:
I think you need to pick your poison. haha.

Seriously..it is a personal journey; the decision to be fit. I think different things work for different people and that means finding something that works for you.

You mentioned being sedentary. So, if this means you overall dislike physical exercise... you will never love it..so I'd work more on an eating plan that works for you.

I just met a girl..who to me looked naturally skinny. She told me she was not..she was fat most of her life.. she had lost 60 pounds..and I asked her how she did it.."what did you eat?" She said..she never tried to cut down eating..that was unrealistic to her. She joined a hulahoop group and hulahooped every Saturday and prepared to hulahoop for two half marathons.

I thought that was interesting..that is how she did it.

Myself..I find eating right is what gets me fit..and exercise makes me strong..but not thin.

I totally agree....Only when I deal with my eating do I stay as trim as I want to be....also the frequent meals with protein work well for me!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Toby, do you have your green smoothie in the morning and also do protein in the morning? I posted another thread about this topic.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I tried Hemp for protein in my smoothie and hated it. Maybe another brand would have been better. I loved eggs(cooked) and I usually eat two(no bread) and drink part of my smoothie on the way to work.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
What works for me is to avoid wheat products and to try to stay gluten free.
My friend calls it "wheat belly". Many fermentable carbs raise your glycemic index which can play havoc on insulin levels which can lead to your body retaining weight. I call it "All Calories are Not Created Equal". It makes a difference which is why proteins are such a great option. Your body recognizes the calories in protein differently.
I stopped most fermentable carbs in July and lost 5 pounds which has given me more 'cut' in muscles in my arm, legs and tummy. It wasn't painful to do either. (Still cheat once in a while Bad Grin )

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Sister Sweets, was your friend referring to the book Wheat Belly? I love Dr. Davis' website and he has a wheat belly facebook page. I cut the wheat and have lost 11 lbs. in 3 weeks. No cravings or binging. It has been a lifesaver for me. For exercise, I do Cathe Friederich or Jari Love videos and walk on my treadmill. It works for me.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
I log all of my food in a software program so I know what I'm eating. No excuses for me! I also do weight training and walking.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
MaryClaire wrote:

Mary

Yes absolutely, just passed the 6 month mark, what a difference! I was wheat free up thru the 2000s until 2008 then fell off the wagon.

My diet is paleo/primal/blood type O with intermittent fasting. I like interval training, weights, running, walking etc. I didn't work out much in my early 30s, just did a strict diet. I genotyped (advanced version of blood type diet) myself as a Hunter this past spring & decided I'd go back on it and do the exercise also. I have the genes for it, why not?
http://www.genotypediet.com/index.shtml

Have been reading the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. He's absolutely right about grains.
http://www.mediafire.com/?cp9troj5ywwzddp
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
MaryClaire wrote:

Mary

Video on how wheat makes you fat, says it is worse than sugar!!!!!!!!
Shock

http://www.youtube.com/user/UndergroundWellness

Also says "gluten free" has worse glycemic index # than wheat. I wouldn't be suprised if this includes all grains more or less.....

High glycemic foods are of course very *aging* due to advanced glycation end products (AGEs) which are notoriously difficult to clear from the body etc...
Marie-Andree
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
gretchen, I can't agree with you there. Over the past year, I've been steadily losing fat. My face was gaunt. My husband was not happy. It's not like I didn't eat. But I lived off of a lot of my homemade wholegrain bread and milk shakes mixed with lots of greens, kind of like a smoothie. I ate macadamia butter (yummy). Still the weight was not budging. By the way, I had loads of energy.
But I rarely (maybe once a month) ate meat or eggs. And the fish that I love was nowhere to be found for a year.
Now the fish is back and I've been eating a stevia sweetened custard made with 3 eggs almost every day. I am no longer gaunt. I now look like my normal self.
I eat sugar once a week moderately. The rest of the time, I eat whole foods. So, for me, grains by themselves are not fattening, at least whole grains, I mean.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Wheat is unhealthy for the vast majority of people. Where to begin with what's wrong with it.....genetically modified & engineered, too high on the glycemic index for modern sedentary life, contains irritating lectins for certain blood groups, is a relatively new food only introduced in the last 10,000 years so no one is fully adapted to it, even people who can digest it.

In general grains suck. They're varmit food.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNUW6PvyeBM
Marie-Andree
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:00 am      Reply with quote
I get certified organic grain. That means that it isn't genetically modified. It's strange that you would think that "wheat is unhealthy for the vast majority of people" since it has been used as a staple food for thousands of years.
We ate a lot of unleavened bread when the kids were at home.
Nowadays the problem is mainly that wheat is refined, bleached and "enriched" with synthetic vitamins. Plus the luncheon meats and other garbage that goes with it.
I don't eat processed foods and NEVER eat out. I make everything from scratch except butter and cheese.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Marie-Andrée wrote:
I get certified organic grain. That means that it isn't genetically modified. It's strange that you would think that "wheat is unhealthy for the vast majority of people" since it has been used as a staple food for thousands of years.
We ate a lot of unleavened bread when the kids were at home.
Nowadays the problem is mainly that wheat is refined, bleached and "enriched" with synthetic vitamins. Plus the luncheon meats and other garbage that goes with it.
I don't eat processed foods and NEVER eat out. I make everything from scratch except butter and cheese.

Read Wheat Belly by cardiologist William Davis:
http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609611543/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320946619&sr=8-1

Not the same wheat due to genetic modification, "organic" likely has nothing to do with it:
http://www.youtube.com/user/UndergroundWellness#p/u/4/1mS5SvHg7M4

Wheat and grains are also primary foods for *slaves*.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that you need to find what you enjoy. I practice yoga once a week, ride my bike to work, and do portion control. I don't cut fats or sugar, I just keep my portions reasonable (your stomach is only the size of your fist supposedly... I don't keep the portions THAT small but it puts it in perspective.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
I have used a in-home aeropilates for years and loved it but needed a change. For a year now I have been going to a Zumba class four or five days a week. The instructor a young 24 yr.old and has a VERY high level workout. The studio has a club atmosphere and the sound system is incredible. I literally go into another world for an hour. It is great for firming and burning calories but the stress release in awesome! Keeps me thinking and acting younger....also empowered...just LOVE it! Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:34 am      Reply with quote
It's a journey trying to find out what works best for each of us - we're the same in some ways, different in others.

There is much debate out there as to the best way to eat & exercise...but I guess it's true what they say - what works best is what works best for you.

bfg
Nairuby

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:58 am      Reply with quote
obviously any workout will help, but running and the elliptical are awesome to burn fat.
Diet wise it really depends. Skipping dinner a couple of times a week has helped me a LOT.
miss_taken

Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Skipping meals is never an ideal solution.
Evenly spaced out smaller meals are better than skipping one of three regular meals.
I've just recently gotten into hot yoga and try to go 3 times a week with 2 days of cardio.
Diet wise I'm counting calories and watching the nutritional information of all the things I keep around. Paying attention to things like sodium and cholesterol really made me re-think my diet!
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:16 am      Reply with quote
Lower carb diets are what work best for me. I started reading more and more about the "evils" of wheat once my oldest daughter found out she was gluten intolerant. I've read that 40% of the population in gluten intolerant and doesn't even know it. Shock

Since giving up gluten products, my daughter unintentionally lost 20 pounds (she is at a healthy weight for her height now, just wasn't trying to lose it previously) and has much more energy. She eats almost the same about of calories now as she did before giving up the gluten.

For me, low carbing takes away my sweet tooth in a matter of days and ups my energy. Plus, the bloating goes away quickly. I don't care if they say that eating low-fat and whole grain foods are the way to lose weight. I always feel bloated eating that way and hungry all the time...and I don't lose as well as when I'm eating low carb.

But everyone needs to find out what works best for them.
Bermie2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:16 am      Reply with quote
I just started this week on a low GI, no wheat, no gluten diet recommended by a dietitian. I have been tested for caeliac but was negative. They do think I have an intolerance to wheat though.

I am just sick of how much weight I have put on over the last 18 months, between menopause sysmptoms, a hysterectomy and giving up smoking it seem impossible to lose weight at the moment. I swear I could survive on rice crackers and water and still not lose. I have 3 bulging discs in my back so am very restricted in the exercises I can do. Its all very frustrating. I really need to loose 12 kilos, which is about 2 stone.

any advice or knowledge would be appreciated!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Bermie2 wrote:
I swear I could survive on rice crackers and water and still not lose.

I am definitely with you. It doesn't seem to matter how little (or how much) I eat. The fat does not want to come off. I really think it is hormone related (menopause).
Luminosity
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
We've been following Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live protocol (loosely, hard to be 100%) and it is finally (finally, hallelujah) the one way of eating that works for me.

Beans. Ladies, it's beans that are the secret... and a big salad everyday... and a hearty soup at night. Badda bing. I have tried everything from Atkins, The Zone, Traditional Foods, low carb, Blood Type Diet, ohmygosh, everything pretty much.

It took trying a LOT of protocols (you should see my "cookbook" shelf at home... crazy). I think we just have to keep searching until we find the thing that clicks. I find that if breakfast (that first meal) is satisfying and full of hunger blockers (whether with real food, or what I use, Shakeology) then that is a really big factor for the rest of the day. I'm finding my way back to myself if that makes any sense. Smile

Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |