Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Flexeffect for young(ish) person
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
verity000
5% products discount

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I'm 35 years old but have been blessed/cursed with big round cheeks. Unfortunately as I've gotten a little older they've started to drop and I'm noticing slight marionette lines and NL ones too.

Really I'm just wondering if I'm too young to be starting Flexeffect (I read someone saying that it wasn't reccomended for younger people - can't remember why!) and if anyone's had much success with this area. I don't want to add any extra volume just to lift the area slighly. Any help with loss of volume in the tear trough area would be a bonus though!

Thanks for any help
x

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Verity,

Deb of Flexeffect started in her 20's. Her bio talks you through how she got more aggressive as the years went on.

Deb's daughter's Myself and my sister Audrea were introduced around 18. Audrea actually taught a full program at 18, while in college.

I will say I feel we both became more consistant with our facial workouts in our 30's, and I can speak for myself, even more so after I had kids.

I have a pic of myself at 35 on our forum. At that point I was already a full time flexer with all of our advanced techniques.

Sean, one of our trainers started in his twenties, and a regular EDS poster here... CM I believe started in her 20's.

It's not that it's NOT recommended for the youngin's. I think you'll find, that young people tend to be in better condition than their older counterparts. Mild work can be adequate. (Depends on the amt. of damage one has self inflicted with sun, and toxins). Where as people that have "let themselves go" a bit, or are just older often need more work, focus, etc. Younger, more youthful tissue also tends to respond better to harder work.

Kind of like: remember how you could eat whatever you wanted when you were a kid and never gained an ounce? And now as an adult, if only we were so lucky.

Hope that helps.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
I did Facercise on and off since age 20, mostly off. At age 28, I started doing FlexEffect, and experimented with a few other programs thereafter. About 90% of what I do these days is from FlexEffect these days. I think few people do facial exercises in their twenties or early thirties simply because aging isn't on their radar. I did it because my face was gaunt probably in part from genetics (I naturally have very low levels of facial fat) and in part from weight loss. My face is now just on the thinner side with only slight concavity in the lower face. I'm very happy with the results. But let me say that different people have very different experiences and it is important to tailor your workout eventually to your face. HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:26 am      Reply with quote
LOL you are no where near too young to do FlexEffect. If I could have started Flex in my early 20's I would have done so, and I've advised people in their early 20's to do the program. Now you don't need to dive into the deep end and do everything straight off, but work the routine in gradually and learn how your face responds.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 am      Reply with quote
Understand there are some myths out there about FlexEffect that just wanted to address. Don’t worry I know this is going round behind the scenes in PMs, and I don’t know who started them or why but its always worth while checking with us if you do hear such stories, because there is rarely truth to them.

Is FlexEffect notorious for causing under eye bags – HELL NO. Under eye bags can be caused by several different things, but exercising the eyes isn’t one of them. Likewise I’m only ever aware of one person using our program (and it was a former edition) that reported developing eye bags, which in turn according to the photos I’ve seen don’t resemble eyebags but overbuild lids. Now as with anything if its overbuild, then there are ways of remedying this, but that’s why there is the forum for flexers to use so they can get guidance when it comes to this. You don’t have to figure this stuff out on your own, and I’m not the only trainer either (I know some people dislike me) so never feel you’re out on a limb because your not! My photo I posted a few months ago should be evidence enough for that – after a 12 hour train journey where are the eyebags?

Now the other thing is that we’ve been labelled “aggressive” in the past. To some in comparison to others yes we do seem aggressive, but that doesn’t mean if you want to use a lighter touch, or your tissue is extra sensitive you can’t use our program. Likewise if you’ve not touched your skin for 40 years other than when you cleanse/moisturise, then you’ll never go into doing advanced workouts and achieving full results as a consequence, but you can slowly build up to doing so. Likewise when I’ve worked with people with health concerns (and I myself am diabetic too), we always adapt it to ensure they not overloading their faces or bodies with too much and stressing it out.

Yes we do often guide people with nutrition and skincare – and I understand that is another bone for contention with some, but why not have the best of all worlds. These go together nicely and help people achieve faster results. Just as no two individuals diet requirements are exactly identical, there are similarities with what people need on a daily basis nutrients wise etc. Aging doesn’t just occur on one level alone (i.e. the face and say skin), but on a whole number of different levels – physically, mentally, emotionally, and with factors like lifestyle, stress, diet, relaxation and health matters its empowering to people to look at all things that might improve their lives. Ultimately its about empowering you.

It annoys people that we “push it as a one size fits all” well there’s some truth to that statement but it’s a bit extremist in that view. We are aiming for getting all the face healthy, skin, muscles and bone and we go after all the muscles without doubt, but how we do that we vary for people. There’s nothing set in stone, even with the general guidelines Deb has developed, we can always adapt things to lessen or intensify the workouts on an as needed basis.

Likewise I’ve read a post recently about someone under 35 starting facial exercises and having problems. There is always a solution to any situation – I’m a firm believer in that because the body has an integrity and knowledge and wisdom that is better than any machine out there. Again with things like this, this is where our forum comes in handy so you’re not just relying on one person to see what your discussing, but you can get a wide range of views. For most people under 35, would they need to go all out – of course not, but some will get more confident as time passes and then want to see how far they can go and what they can achieve. No biggie – that is understandable. However if a goal is just maintenance is resistance completely necessary – of course not, but that’s why we also have isotonic exercises and we have the massage techniques etc. I’ve had several people start facial exercises in their early 20’s and not had disastrous results, but most youngsters are not confident enough to go up against it or the criticism they would no doubt receive for doing them.

Hope that helps some people out there – as I know how easy it is to let imaginations run away with horror stories!

5% products discount

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:05 am      Reply with quote
Ok when I look at the photo, whilst everything does look firm your eyes look very unsymmetrical to me, and your face is rather fuller on one side than another. I thought facial exercises were supposed to correct that? Especially if you had been doing them a long time.

Whilst there aren’t eye bags, there are kind of small hollows that are there, but I see Loulou also has the same thing with her tear trough area, and again this is making me think that perhaps exercising the lower eye area aint such a great idea if you’ve not got any problems? Just thinking aloud.
Kolkowski

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:14 am      Reply with quote
Verity there are also other great systems out there apart from flex effect which I feel is one of the more intense ones that is pretty hardcore on the muscles and skin. Some skins can take that, but not all.

I highly recommend for a lighter but effective routine CFF and I know Eva Fraser, Ageless as well as Carole Maggio's facercise also have younger people who get great results from them!
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Kolkowski

Like any good routine out there, FlexEffect can be varied to suit anyone’s starting point, and our program is no different. Just as the programs you mentioned can be intensified. We seem pretty hardcore on muscles – well that’s probably because we go after them all, but having said that there’s no reason why someone with sensitive skin cannot start our program and get good results. I started out with super sensitive skin, and its still on my face for sure.

Even the programs you mentioned don’t suit everyone. Just food for thought as there is a rumour going round that we’re a one size fits all shop and we never proclaimed to be. Its our goal of helping the face to become stronger that’s applicable to so many people, not our techniques which can be modified to suit any individual. Also don’t forget we’ve also got some isotonic type exercises for those who are really freaked out over handling their skin that produces results!

Sean
Kolkowski wrote:
Verity there are also other great systems out there apart from flex effect which I feel is one of the more intense ones that is pretty hardcore on the muscles and skin. Some skins can take that, but not all.

I highly recommend for a lighter but effective routine CFF and I know Eva Fraser, Ageless as well as Carole Maggio's facercise also have younger people who get great results from them!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:49 am      Reply with quote
TheresaCats wrote:
Ok when I look at the photo, whilst everything does look firm your eyes look very unsymmetrical to me, and your face is rather fuller on one side than another. I thought facial exercises were supposed to correct that? Especially if you had been doing them a long time.

Whilst there aren’t eye bags, there are kind of small hollows that are there, but I see Loulou also has the same thing with her tear trough area, and again this is making me think that perhaps exercising the lower eye area aint such a great idea if you’ve not got any problems? Just thinking aloud.

You must not be aware of Sean's Car accident that smashed his face, at a young age.

Loulou has explained on our forum years ago she went through some major hormone drama. Eye hallows for most women seem to have to do with loss of estrogen/bone mass. Very highly correlated.

I believe she explains this as well on the Ageless forum. Have you seen her before and afters? Huge improvements. And well, Loulou is just a doll. I just don't look at her and see anything negative compared to her before.

She's also 50 now a days.

I think it's really important to realize that working your face does not STOP aging. It slows, and it corrects.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:37 am      Reply with quote
Verity it is worth doing your research and exploring all the systems before committing to one.
I'd say at your young age, isotonic or light resistance exercises are best, which can be provided by systems such as Eva Fraser, CFF or Carole Maggio's facercise. I speak from experience. Of course everyone's face is different but I find mine responds very fast to anything that is resistance-based. I am around your age.

I personally believe flex effect is too resistance intense for those under 40 and can potentially change the way your face looks since you are likely to build muscle very fast at your age. I speak from experience.

Ultimately it is your decision but do plenty of window shopping, research before committing! How roughly do you want to handle your skin? Do you want to alter the way you look or just enhance?

Facial exercising is something that can make radical changes- good or bad- in the way one looks so investigate first so you don't have any unforeseen occurrences take place on your face!
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:12 am      Reply with quote
VirginiaWhite wrote:
I personally believe flex effect is too resistance intense for those under 40 and can potentially change the way your face looks since you are likely to build muscle very fast at your age. I speak from experience.

FWIW, there's nothing wrong with the exercises but the training approach: it means that you were using too much resistance (and/or training too often) FOR YOUR PERSONAL NEEDS.

If you're close to or near your goals (as many young but not all young people are), then you should lighten the resistance or train less often. For example, I know that some facial exercise veterans who do resistance exercises only train 2-3x a week because they are in maintenance mode. So if you are young, close to being in maintenance mode, build quick, or have a full face to start with, then the solution is to back off the resistance, intensity, and/or frequency of training. You can either do resistance exercises with less resistance or less frequently OR you can go isometric/toning exercises. Either is a valid approach.

And this isn't specific to FlexEffect but applies to ALL programs. Start with the foundation of the program, but apply MORE OR LESS resistance or intensity according to your needs...otherwise you won't get the results you want.

Just don't want people to run into problems and toss the baby out with the bath water. IMO, all facial exercise programs need tailoring to the individual....just as all body exercise programs need tailoring...for the most part, exercises are tools but it's the entire training approach that matters.

Hope that helps someone Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
verity000 wrote:
Hi all,

Really I'm just wondering if I'm too young to be starting Flexeffect (I read someone saying that it wasn't reccomended for younger people - can't remember why!) and if anyone's had much success with this area. I don't want to add any extra volume just to lift the area slighly. Any help with loss of volume in the tear trough area would be a bonus though!

Thanks for any help
x

Hi There

There really is no such thing as one program better or worse for young people.

If you have sensitive skin or are simply fretful about FlexEffect training because of what you have heard I would simply tell you to start with the FE Massage. A few weeks of the massage will do wonders for preparing the skin for training and give you a better mind set for handling your face.

As for FE being way too aggressive for a beginner that is just plain absurd. Has anyone ever overbuilt their face that was young?... YES... and the same applies to older trainers as well. It’s not the program. How the face develops has to do with how much fast twitch / slow twitch muscle fiber is found in the facial muscle of each individual trainer. Everyone’s muscle fiber is DIFFERENT. There are people with long lean legs (fast runners) and short stocky legs (power-lifters) Even if both do the exact same resistance training, neither will be able to get the same results.

I know as well as most on this forum that there are some here who have an agenda against FE (watch for PMs you’ll know who) But, please keep this in mind; If what I just said makes sense to you...every-bit of what I’m saying is in my book because I can’t hand hold thousands of trainers. Believe me I make it as clear as possible as to what to expect from their training be it Positive or Negative 275 pages worth of information needed for training.

However, there is one thing you are hearing that is absolutely correct. FlexEffect does OFFER within its arsenal the most aggressive form of resistance training ever found in any program. That is an absolute fact. But, what they are not telling you is that the exercises that are extremely aggressive are only ONE OF THREE variations of each exercise. For instance: exercise A can be done three ways just by changing the technique. a. light resistance, b. moderate resistance, c. extreme resistance. The choice of the exercises have to come from the one performing the exercise since he is the only one familiar with his skin, health, and shape of his face. How much resistance is applied to each of those variations also depends on the trainee as to how much he loads the muscle before contracting it. And, what is used to load the muscle? ... His hands. There is no set increment of weight being used... just simply how much effort the trainer puts into it. It’s ALL under his control

Taking all I’ve said into consideration it should be obvious that you could take the simplest exercise program offered... say CFF and literally tear the skin right off the bone regardless of age. The fact is the younger you are the better off you’ll be for all the obvious reasons... Prevention, prevention and prevention.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:45 am      Reply with quote
Deb Crowley wrote:
There really is no such thing as one program better or worse for young people.

Yeah, I think that while some programs might be on the whole be better (e.g., more comprehensive, more exercises to target a muscle, exercises have a better grip, etc.), I think that all programs are good in the sense that each offers a set of exercise as tools....and the tools can be tailored or used to meet individual goals, if one knows how to use them and adapt them. You can even take the two extremes of yoga and lifting weights...you pick different exercises or intensities of exercises at different times to use to reach your goals in terms of muscle size, aesthetic, etc. That's all I'm saying. Hope my original message didn't come across too strongly. I just am passionate about making sure that people know that they should be tailoring things (at least in the long term), regardless of what program they use Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:57 am      Reply with quote
Viriginia did you not know that your FlexEffect kit also has isotonic exercises - worth mentioning as you miss us out in your message.

Having trained a many number of people in their 20's, I'd say your experience is interesting but its based on false assumptions and its incorrect for the reasons detailed above, but its your views and perceptions and if it works for you - all well and good!

VirginiaWhite wrote:
I'd say at your young age, isotonic or light resistance exercises are best, which can be provided by systems such as Eva Fraser, CFF or Carole Maggio's facercise.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
sean,

You are looking good, I have flex effect and love it, but I have lapsed, ( lots of reasons not being well, then life getting in the way), but now I am back doing rolling, I am going to get back on the wagon

Thanks for giving me the impetus to do it again

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Hey Sylvia

Thank you.

Hey be sure to use the forum, by far the best way to go forward is to check into their and get help/guidance when you need it and its quite interesting when you read others postings too - you can always learn something new!

Sean
10Sylvia5 wrote:
sean,

You are looking good, I have flex effect and love it, but I have lapsed, ( lots of reasons not being well, then life getting in the way), but now I am back doing rolling, I am going to get back on the wagon

Thanks for giving me the impetus to do it again

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Thanks sean I will, the only thing ,I think my authorisation or something has lapsed a bit. But I will go and have a look

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |