Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
A little confused... dry or oily - moisturize or not??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SharpSpine

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all. This is my first post here. I'm a male, early 30's, who has recently transitioned to traditional wet-shaving for my face & neck. Yes, that's right. I use a badger shaving brush, quality shaving soap/cream, and a vintage single edge razor. I'm getting the best shaves of my life now, but I'm confused about what I need to be doing post-shave. I'm not sure if my face is oily or dry? My skin tends to feel a bit greasy & I leave a noticeable face print when lying on face paper. However, I also notice that my face/neck feel tight very often & I'm prone to dry, cracked, & chapped lips in the winter. So from appearance I have oily skin but it can feel very dry. I've tried aftershave splashes (alcohol based - aqua velva & witch hazel) which leaves me feeling very tight. Lately I've decided to try moisturizing since the colder temps are moving in (using bio-oil) which initially is seeming to be better. Unfortunately though, I'm still confused & unsure about what I should really be doing after my daily removal of stubble & epidermis!

I look forward to your replies & expertise. Your willingness to help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Brian
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
For your lips, get Eucerin aquaphor and apply them at night. You can apply a lip balm underneath that if you'd like.

Stay away from anything alcohol-based. They will wreak havoc on your skin

I would stop using bio-oil too as a moisturizer. It's not really designed for that purpose and even when you do use it properly, it is mostly just mineral oil with a ton of fillers. I recommend CeraVe - it has a patented blend of ceramides that can restore the skin barrier. Oily and tight feeling can be pretty normal. It's just that your skin is really dry (tight feeling) and is overproducing oil to compensate. However, some skin just doesn't retain the oil so you can still feel like it's tightening. So yeah, I would try an actual facial moisturizer as opposed to bio-oil. If you are keen on using oil, olive, coconut, emu and argan oil are some good choices.

Are you using anything to exfoliate your skin after shaving? Shaving itself does give some nice exfolation, but you may need more if you're still getting ingrown hairs.
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi there,

I'm not one of the experts on here but I did ask my skin therapist about whats great for men, in particular for my husbands skin.He is mainly oily tzone and normal to dry elsewhere. She recommended more hydrating gels, which are more lightweight and don't feel so heavy on the skin. Especially if you are prone to oiliness and dryness (which is how my skin gets in the winter too).I was told this was mainly due to my skin requiring hydration rather than oils. She recommended vitaman (great for after a shave), which he loves and he even likes the ultraceuticals hydration gel which I use too. He also likes using my dermalogica antioxidant face spritz for a bit of a hydration boost.

Hope that helps
SharpSpine

Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the tips & advice so far. You have already confirmed what I was thinking about being so dry that I was overproducing oil. I'm not sure that I need to exfoliate anymore than my daily shave does. I have a very thick & coarse beard that only the most aggressive of razors can tame. When you pair that with fairly sensitive skin I get plenty in the means of scraping dead skin cells away! Wink

This morning I showered, shaved, and followed with my alum block & then California Baby Super Sensitive face lotion. It feels very nice on my face. I've used it before w/ great results but thought I had found something better. I look forward to continued advice & help with my post-shave regimen.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:09 am      Reply with quote
I think you mean your skin is dehydrated (not enough water) and oily simultaneously? That generally signifies irritation especially if it is a new phenomenon. Wet shaving strips the top layer of stratus corneum, alkaline soap destroys the protective acid mantle, more exfoliation with the bristle brush then the alum block is dehydrating. Crying or Very sad Beards were more common in the past for good reason!! IMO you would be wise to choose a shaving cream that is slightly acidic and does not contain sulphate surfactants. Use a styptic pencil for individual cuts only. If you use a separate cleanser for the rest of your face you might consider the Oil Cleansing Method as this will help soften stubble and skin without irritation.

Hydrating ingredients to look for in a moisturiser include hyaluronic acid, olive squalane, urea (5%), lactic acid (max 5%), aloe vera, lanolin and allantoin. HA, squalane, urea and lactic acid are all the skin's natural hydrators; urea and lactic acid gently aid exfoliation which may help your shave without so much irritation. HA, allantoin and aloe vera also have scientifically proven healing properties so would be particularly valuable to you. Allantoin paired with calendula extract or aloe vera combined with unrefined shea butter are particularly good for wound healing. For lips - lanolin or unrefined shea butter are fantastic, but avoid petrolatum or mineral oil as recent research suggests they may increase dehydration!

Personal favourites that are not 'girly' include Weleda baby calendula face cream layered over OR emulsified in the hand with aloe vera gel. Alternatively Weleda produce a men's shaving cream, aftershave balm and their Skin Food which is a cult product! Weleda do use a little alcohol but this evaporates as you spread the product in your hands. For lips Lanolips Lemonaid is lovely (not super cheap but lasts months) or you could use Weleda Skin Food for face, lips, hands ... Wink

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
SharpSpine

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Wow, very thorough reply. It will take me some time to look for products with those ingredients. Also, how can I find out if the soap/cream I'm using to shave with is acid or alkaline? Finally, this is not a new phenomenon since I started to wet-shave. My face has been like this since puberty, which is far longer ago than I like to admit... Very Happy
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Forgot to mention that a great lip balm would be the Jack Black one that also contains SPF. It has really great reviews on sephora too and comes in some nice flavours
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:08 am      Reply with quote
SharpSpine wrote:
Wow, very thorough reply. It will take me some time to look for products with those ingredients. Also, how can I find out if the soap/cream I'm using to shave with is acid or alkaline? Finally, this is not a new phenomenon since I started to wet-shave. My face has been like this since puberty, which is far longer ago than I like to admit... Very Happy

My six finger typing speed is pretty decent! Wink

Sensitive skin is more common than many people realise and damaged or broken skin is highly susceptible to further irritation because the barrier has been breached. Traditional wet shaving leaves more mechanical damage, but modern wet shaving exposes you to more chemical irritation. My male relatives have long since given up wet shaving; the females have mild eczema, mine reacts to shampoo bubbles running down my arm despite rinsing!

Some products may be labelled pH balanced or neutral, and I would expect companies such as Weleda to answer a swift e-mail. Traditional bar soaps will be alkaline, although you may find formulations that are less so. Anything you already own you can test with pH indicator strips (AKA litmus paper, try eBay) which are inexpensive and very easy to use. Be warned: some men find that sort of product addictive. Laughing Be aware that pH is not a linear scale - every point away from neutral is 10x more acidic/ alkaline than the point before IYSWIM. Just to confuse you skin is acidic at ~5.5 but neutral is 7 so labels can be misleading.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
AmazingLife
5% products discount

Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Brian,

How you would describe your pore size? I'm learning that skin with large pores tends to respond better to moisturizers that contain some kind of wax, and that skin with small pores would be better off without wax.

It sounds opposite of what I would think (to me, wax=acne). I guess the logic behind the theory is that if the pores are too small the wax pretty much gets in the way and prohibits the skin from absorbing all the good stuff. With large pores, the wax helps lubricate the skin so the good stuff can get in.

Also, I've read the best way to know if you're oily or dry is to wash you face with a neutral cleanser then wait about 20 minutes (don't put anything else on your skin after cleansing). If your skin feels tight it means you're dehydrated and if it feels oily then, well, you're oily.

I used think I had oily skin because I'd wake up and my face felt greasy. At the time I was using lots of acids, benzoil peroxide, gels, etc. because I break out and was paranoid of putting anything with oil on my face. When I stopped using drying products and started moisturizing, my face started feeling "normal" in the morning.

HTH,
Laurie
BTW, that is the coolest way to shave!
SharpSpine

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
@Laurie: You should really look into this cool way of shaving for your legs & underarms. I'm getting much better shaves with almost zero irritation. It will be zero irritation once I get my post-shave figured out for my skin type.

@All: Please give me your feedback on my cleansing & moisturizing for tonight...
I cleansed w/ Noxzema original deep cleansing cream.
I moisturized w/ the California Baby super sensitive face & body lotion. I put some on my wet face after rinsing of the Noxzema. After massaging it in I patted off before adding another light coat of the lotion which soaked in nicely. Currently my skin does not feel tight, nor does it feel greasy. It actually feels very smooth (even with 14+ hours of beard growth) and soft.

Is this a good night time cleansing & moisturizing effort?
SharpSpine

Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Any thoughts/opinions on the Noxzema & California Baby products?

Thanks!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |