Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Constantly Breaking out around Mouth Area!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Blue25

Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
For the past 4 months I've been constantly breaking out around my mouth area (from below/around the nose to the chin)and is consistently getting worse. I have no idea what its from. I cleanse, moisturize, drink plenty of water, etc. Its really stressing me out. Not just red pimples but small little clogged pores all down the sides of mouth.

At first thought it was from shaving, but i only shave once a week and pimples still appear during the week. Then i was thinking its my skin care products, but wouldn't i break out all over my face if it were the products? their simple all natural products as well. I've been trying honey and Tamanu oil as a spot treatment but its just seems to clog my pores even more. I'm really lost, just when i thought i had everything under control. I started out with red, blotchy, dry, sensitive, eczema skin and now have normal, sometimes dry, pimply skin. UGGH!!

Is there something that I should do like a mask or something that you guys recommend Sad
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
On another forum a poster discovered the problem was her toothpaste.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
It can be either toothpaste, chapstick or lipstick
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:49 am      Reply with quote
Blue25 wrote:

At first thought it was from shaving, but i only shave once a week and pimples still appear during the week.

Do pimples usually appear right away after contact with problematic products? As I recall, it always took on average a couple of days for my skin to launch a full-scale revolt.
And what are you shaving with?

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:53 am      Reply with quote
Depending on your age (and this can start as early as the twenties)...acne around the mouth and chin is often treated as a hormonal issue.

You may wish to seek out some medical advice.

bfg
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:51 am      Reply with quote
I have always heard that breakouts centered around the mouth area are usually food allergy related...in which, toothpaste or the like would make sense. I would definitely keep what you're putting in your mouth close at thought and see if something you're eating is making it worse or not.

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
wacka_wacka

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:56 am      Reply with quote
my friend had massive breakouts all around her mouth and cheeks... I think it was due to puberty. Or she might have undergone accutane (harsh), but she doesn't have it anymore.
shanmarsh1

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
keep breaking out around my chin and mouth. What is ... Best to keep the area severely clean. ... And keep the fingers off the face and out of your mouth. ...
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe perioral dermatitis, but you must seek a medical diagnosis so you can target your treatment. Several dermatitis conditions look almost identical but the treatment can be very different; for example PD hates cortico-steroids whereas atopic eczema responds well to them! Shock

There is rarely a single cause for any form of dermatitis - it is often a combination of an over enthusiastic skincare regime, personal stress and other lifestyle issues. Be aware that shaving or exfoliating strips the protective acid mantle/ stratus corneum, this means ANY product you apply thereafter may cause irritation and inflammation. Pimples and whiteheads are common as the skin pumps out sebum to protect itself and opportunistic bacteria take advantage.

More often than not, it is more effective to remove or substitute products than add new ones to the routine. Don't use anything alkaline, that strips the natural oils, is designed to treat acne or is a known irritant. If you post your facial skincare routine - with ingredients if possible - I am sure the regulars will be happy to advise. Suspect EVERY chemical that touches your face: hand wash or lotion if you sit with your chin in your hands, laundry powder and fabric conditioner on pillows and towels, hair products if you allow them to rinse over your face in the shower.

HTH! Confused

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Lipstick or chapstick or lipgloss can get bad and cause problems. My daughter had a very bad reaction to a lipstick, with the skin around her mouth red and irritated and a kind of rash all around her mouth. It took a day or two to find the source. Cosmetics, creams etc. can go bad and grow interesting but unfriendly bacteria and fungus. I don't know if you are using any kind of product somewhere around the lips or mouth?
Blue25

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the reply's Smile. But i don't think its from common mouth products, Lipchap i use Egyptian Magic. I don't think it toothpaste because I'm not messy when I brush my teeth. Plus the breakout is around the nose area as well.

I am 19, so I'm starting to just think that it could be my hormones plus all the stress that I'm dealing with currently in school and personal problems. But their must be a way to prevent it :S

Here are the ingredients of products I'm using:
Cleanser: organic roman chamomile water organic lavender water, dead sea mud, bladderwrack seaweed blue green algae, grape extract, organic blueberry juice, organic cranberry juice, sodium cocopolyglucoside tartrate, sodium cocopolyglucoside citrate, organic orange extract, organic lemon extract vegetable glycerin, phenoxyethanol, tetrasodium edta, citric acid

My moisturizer I currently just started using but have used in the past with no problems is the Shikai Borage face one:
Water (aqua), borage (borago officinalis) oil, avocado (persea gratissima) oil, jojoba (simmondsia chinensis) seed oil, glycerine, glyceryl stearate SE, shea butter (butyrospermum parkii fruit), natural vitamin E acetate (tocopherol acetate), cetyl alcohol, cyclomethicone, diazolidinyl urea, batyl alcohol, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin.
The moisturizer has become verrry liquidy so it could have gone bad But this moisturizer was only bought like 1 or 2 months ago?
AmazingLife
5% products discount

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:30 am      Reply with quote
Blue, I can totally identify with you...I've been battling the same symptoms for about three months. I switched to mostly natural products and have found MAJOR success in other areas of my skin, but this peri-oral thing is still unresolved.

Firefox, I'm writing this to remind myself to pm you..pretty sure this is dermatitis of some sort. I know I need to cut back on products but I feel so desperate to find something to help that I find myself using MORE than less. My face hurts all the time...It's red, sore, broken out. I only wear makeup for 2-3 hours at a time because of the discomfort...that's saying a lot because I have so much to cover up right now. Anyway, Firefox, I appreciate the in-depth advice you and so many of the other generous posters give here.

Okay Blue, with the help of this board, let's make a deal to heal!
fab50
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:25 am      Reply with quote
I had this same problem off and on for several years and was convinced it was perioral dermatitis. I took an antibiotic and use metrogel and it finally cleared up.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:39 am      Reply with quote
I havent read all the replies, but as fab50 suggested this could be perioral dermatitis, or another form of dermatitis.

Try avoiding fluoride toothpaste - opt for a herbal fluoride-free one. Other irritants could be beeswax which are in a lot of lip balms and lipsticks.

I've found drinking ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) in water has helped me quite a bit with this issue myself and also applying it to my face like a toner. There's lots of info on the internet, particularly Earth Clinic about ACV for this... Wink
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Oh it's not just from toothpaste getting around your mouth from possibly messy tooth brushing - it's just the actual fluoride itself is being absorbed by your body and it's a known irritant to dermatitis. Fluoride is a toxic product and should not be added to anything!

Naturally occuring fluoride in natural foods is fine for us, the the toxic junk they put in the toothpaste and the water supply is poison - that's why it's always recommended to keep it out of reach of children!

Years ago when my dentist told me I needed to up my fluoride as my teeth were fragile my skin and hormones in general turned into a disaster zone! I've since cut out fluoride and my teeth are better than ever! Go figure! But I've also added Magnesium and Vitamin D to my supplement regime - I've always taken Calcium of course... Wink
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Glamcat: My sibling and I were given fluoride tablets as young children, neither have yet broken a bone nor had a cavity until our late thirties. We were both pretty healthy children and my dermatitis presented many years later (clear genetic link). That is not to say certain compounds cannot be a problem for some individuals, but it is inaccurate to blanket label fluoride as poison or toxic junk. The link between toothpaste and dermatitis can also be the sulphate surfactant content. Speaking from personal experience you need very little to aggravate dermatitis - it took me years to realise my elbow patch was primarily due to shampoo bubbles running down my arm which were rinsed 'clean' immediately! Embarassed

Blue25: It is possible to prevent or treat dermatitis but we need a medical diagnosis and you to be more open minded about possible triggers. You can become allergic to a product or food at any time, in fact that is far more common than an allergy to a novel chemical. Also suspect the products you shave with and whether you might be transferring bacteria back and forth on your razor. Return the moisturiser to the store or manufacturer if it has changed consistency and you are confident you have stored and used it appropriately (cool place/ out of direct sunlight/ well away from the toilet/ cap on/ clean hands/ never put unused product back). Last thought is that your moisturiser contains a silicone, most which need to be removed with strong surfactants. Silicone build up is associated with blocked pores or pimples in susceptible individuals.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
chicgeek

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Several of the ingredients of your moisturizer are moderately comedogenic--acne-causing. Switch, then see if that helps.

Around the mouth is the most common place for adult acne. The most common place for teen acne is the forehead.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
Oh I'm not the one labelling fluoride as toxic junk - there is loads of information about this out there - try googling: "Dangers of Fluoride" and you'll find lots of information.

I'm definitely not the only person that feels this way about fluoride - far from it, I'm just a drop in the ocean.

I too was given fluoride tablets as a child and it did nothing to prevent cavities for me - I've had more than my fair share of cavities despite a thorough dental hygiene program. To be honest the dental issues I've had have baffled my dentist as he knows how thorough I am with my teeth. But he couldnt actually believe the difference in my teeth since I kicked fluoride and opted for Magnesium and Vitamin D instead - now instead of having to do major work twice a year on me, I just see him for twice yearly check-ups and he is astounded at the difference Wink

And I'm also far from the only person saying their is link between fluoride and dermatitis - there is also a lot of information out there clearly linking the two. Wink

It's like everything, some people are fine with a certain chemical while others are not - we're all different. I'm just saying to those who experience facial dermatitis they could try giving fluoride a miss for a while and see if they notice a difference and for the sake of protecting their teeth while they conduct this little experiment, they would be wise to supplement with a good quality calcium supplement as well as magnesium and vitamin D.

Firefox7275 wrote:
Glamcat: My sibling and I were given fluoride tablets as young children, neither have yet broken a bone nor had a cavity until our late thirties. We were both pretty healthy children and my dermatitis presented many years later (clear genetic link). That is not to say certain compounds cannot be a problem for some individuals, but it is inaccurate to blanket label fluoride as poison or toxic junk. The link between toothpaste and dermatitis can also be the sulphate surfactant content. Speaking from personal experience you need very little to aggravate dermatitis - it took me years to realise my elbow patch was primarily due to shampoo bubbles running down my arm which were rinsed 'clean' immediately! Embarassed
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem. One thing that really helps and is surprising in its simplicity is ice. I just hold an icecube to a breakout around my mouth for 5 mins a few times a day and it helps the swelling go down and the comedone to heal faster.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have used SO MANY products through the years.

Things that have helped:
retin-a, differin at night
salicylic acid by day: now I use being true purifying blemish treatment. I used to use Dennis Gross and DDF 10% glycolic, but I like this more.
using a nice gentle toner, I use being true purifying and soothing toner depending on how irritated or broken out my skin is.

Things that have made my skin worse:
Neutrogena acne products! Way to harsh, I peel, but in a bad way, not like the good way retin a makes you peel.
facebymarysue

Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I'm MarySue, new to the forum and an esthetician. Most of the advice so far has been spot on! However, can I add one thing? You need to balance your ph before you moisturize. So after cleansing and before moisturizing, use some witch hazel. Very inexpensive and works wonders on your whole face! Skin is slightly acidic and water and cleansers are very alkaline. Witch hazel will balance your ph back down to the acidic side and help close pores. Then, any products you put on your face won't clog pores and cause irritation. I personally use it on my whole body after I shower and before I moisturize. Keeps skin soft and balanced. Idea
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
always open your mind and think of what you've been using..even the most innocent thing can be the cause of a major problem.

think back to when it started and then look at anything you're using..even organic and all natural..

if you started using it then..then stop. I'd also go see a doctor..they can tell you straight up what it might be.
havana8

Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
For those suffering from Perioral Dermatitis as suggested above, here is a link from Osmia Organics that might be helpful: http://osmiaorganics.com/blogs/blog/13768653-perioral-dermatitis-eczema-meet-acne
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:34 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |