Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
proactiv solution
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi I've just been given proactiv solution kit by rodan and fields,its got cleanser,toner,day lotion,night lotin and refining mask.

I've never heard of it before but after a quick search seems like it gets positive reviews has anyone on here used before or know if its any good?
ritusen
5% products discount

Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:48 am      Reply with quote
Yes I used it......the product is awesome.....great value for the money.
flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thats good to hear Smile I've only been using for a few days now instead of retin a etc still using vit c but have noticed my skin seems to sting for a few minutes after putting on the toner,day lotion and night lotion hope this is normal but my face seems to be flaking a bit as well guess thats just it exfoliating though but I do want to keep trying it out then go back onto the retin a I was sent it as a trial product for an 8 week trial so will see how it goes.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
Where did you find the good reviews? I've only seen bad reviews and rarely will I see any decent review that goes into detail about how it helped. From personal experience, Proactiv DESTROYED my skin. When I first started breaking out, I used it and it just made things worse and worse. Albeit that was at least 7-8 years ago, I am still never going back to it. Their philosophy is to use the most harsh ingredients to hopefully get rid of acne, which I do not approve of at all. Acne treatment should be as gentle as possible and Proactiv definitely does not strive for that.
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
I've been off proactiv since aug/september and was on their system for 4 years. As much as I loved how it cleared everything up it also stripped my skin of its oils. Thats why I had no blackheads and breakouts whilst on it. My skin was truly oil free. Thats not a good thing. Its a bad thing. My skins acid mantle has been destoyed by longterm use of proactiv and now I am using more gentle and natural products to try to get it healthy again. Just remember that products like proactiv can age you prematurely because of how stripping it is. My skin is so reactive and sensitive now. I really would only recommend it for short term and younger skin, but knowing what I know now I wish I had never started on proactiv.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
Justin Beiber uses Proactiv- so it must be ok??

I find the ingredients like Benzyl peroxide too harsh for me after 1 day- so can't use that line.

for me stuff with Sulfur, tea tree oil and Nucelle and M2 skincare work best.
flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:17 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences I have read bad reviews as well but gave it a try anyway, after just a few days I have found it quite harsh and since I don't really have spots I thought rather than using the whole system daily I might just mix and match with other products because both the cleanser and toner seem to be quite harsh though the day cream feels quite nice and has salicylic acid.

The repairing night lotion has salicyclic acid and retinol so I thought that must be good, but I thought those two things should not be used together??
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:19 am      Reply with quote
Ha..ha.. about justin beiber Laughing
Im pretty sure that the night cream with both retinol and salicylic acid is okay in combination. I found that it wasnt just the bezyol peroxide as being too harsh but a combination of acids and sulphates and all these chemicals they put in them. Its just overkill meant to strip your skin. Im sure though if you use certain productsat certain times then it should be okay, but the whole system just seems too much...but again just my opinion..
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:16 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
Where did you find the good reviews? I've only seen bad reviews and rarely will I see any decent review that goes into detail about how it helped. From personal experience, Proactiv DESTROYED my skin. When I first started breaking out, I used it and it just made things worse and worse. Albeit that was at least 7-8 years ago, I am still never going back to it. Their philosophy is to use the most harsh ingredients to hopefully get rid of acne, which I do not approve of at all. Acne treatment should be as gentle as possible and Proactiv definitely does not strive for that.

I used Proactive a decade ago. Great for acne, but I think it damaged my skin on my chest in the long-term Sad I should have known something was up because it occasionally stung my skin.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:08 am      Reply with quote
I used it for a few weeks because my acne got out of control. I have dry skin to begin with and it made it even worse. I tried the green tea moisturiser and it didn't help with the dryness. I stopped using it because it was doing me more bad than good.
ritusen
5% products discount

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Everyone’s skin is different and it changes throughout the year. It’s not me but a very famous beauty expert who said that. But I do believe in this statement as I have often seen that things that worked on my friends didn’t work on me. So I know that everyone’s body, skin is different and thus skin care products react differently on each.

I suffered from moderate acne right since I hit puberty. And it used to get worse just before my dates. I tried quite a few things, some on insistence of friends and family and some after researching on my own. But nothing really helped except Proactiv Solution. It did cause dryness and redness but one need to understand that Benozyl Perozide has been used for acne treatment since ages. (Proactiv’s active ingredient). And BP does causes side effects in some which is nothing to worry out as it subsides with time. These side effects can be easily controlled with the use of a good moisturizer. Yes, there are people who are allergic to it just like some are allergic to nuts, diary or sea-food. If you experience swelling of the skin, lips, or tongue and severe redness, burning or itching, then you are allergic to BP. In my case, I wasn’t allergic and hence it worked wonders on my skin. Now I am pimple free, all because of Proactiv!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:00 am      Reply with quote
Benzoyl peroxide is harmful to the skin. It creates oxidative stress and free radicals. It gobbles up your skins own defence being your vitamin E reserves, basically it hastens aging.

Not good stuff to be putting on ones face.

Unless you have "cosmetic acne" caused by cosmedics or topical products, then almost all other breakouts are caused by internal forces.

Cleaning up your diet and starting off very gently with Retin-a is a much better permanent solution.

All the celebs that endorse Proactiv are also the people who can afford expensive anti-aging treatments in the future when the aging process catches up with them.

I remember Vanessa Williams endorsing Proactiv but then later down the track I recall seeing her and her skin looked older than her years...
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Glamcat, and I was using proactiv for 4 years Sad

I have wanted to go back to BP due to all my congestion returning, but I'm working on diet and good skincare & exercise and will just take it from there.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Proactiv was very expensive, and it didn't do much for my acne.

I think that there are probably better products out there.

I also agree with others who said that benzoyl peroxide might be damaging to skin in the long run. When I used to use benzoyl peroxide products on my skin, I noticed an unfortunate change in its texture and firmness. I suspect that it breaks down skin in some way.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 9:58 am      Reply with quote
ritusen wrote:
Everyone’s skin is different and it changes throughout the year. It’s not me but a very famous beauty expert who said that. But I do believe in this statement as I have often seen that things that worked on my friends didn’t work on me. So I know that everyone’s body, skin is different and thus skin care products react differently on each.

I suffered from moderate acne right since I hit puberty. And it used to get worse just before my dates. I tried quite a few things, some on insistence of friends and family and some after researching on my own. But nothing really helped except Proactiv Solution. It did cause dryness and redness but one need to understand that Benozyl Perozide has been used for acne treatment since ages. (Proactiv’s active ingredient). And BP does causes side effects in some which is nothing to worry out as it subsides with time. These side effects can be easily controlled with the use of a good moisturizer. Yes, there are people who are allergic to it just like some are allergic to nuts, diary or sea-food. If you experience swelling of the skin, lips, or tongue and severe redness, burning or itching, then you are allergic to BP. In my case, I wasn’t allergic and hence it worked wonders on my skin. Now I am pimple free, all because of Proactiv!

I had a horrible bout of hormonal acne 5 years ago, and Proactiv was the only thing that helped me as well. Probably not something I would want to use long term, but I still use the BP part of the regime if I have a deep pimple I need to deal with.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 10:02 am      Reply with quote
@Glamcat,

I sometimes wonder if celebrities regularly use the products, which they endorse.
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 10:35 am      Reply with quote
*Raises hand*

Used to suffer really bad acne. Used Accutane. Then it was done. Then it returned. Accutane, then done. 7 years ago.

Still was not completely acne free. 2 years ago, started making B3 NAG combination. Acne free and skin is doing great. Pores reduced in size and no oily T zone.

BP is a short term quick fix, long term use and it destroys the ability for your sebaceous glands to produce your own Vit E, which leads to premature aging of the skin.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2835893/
Your mileage may vary of course. BP did nothing for me and neither did Clindamyacin. Retin A held the acne in check, but never "cured" it.

Currently using neither and skin is clear and calm. OCM for washing and gentle with my skin. Seems to work the best.

Topical nicotinamide compared with clindamycin gel in the treatment of inflammatory acne vulgaris.
Very useful anti aging active as well.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 11:42 am      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
BP is a short term quick fix, long term use and it destroys the ability for your sebaceous glands to produce your own Vit E, which leads to premature aging of the skin.

Very thankful I did not keep using it forever like they recommend! Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
I used Proactive a long time ago. It did seem to work at first but stopped working after a few months.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:14 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
DragoN wrote:

Very thankful I did not keep using it forever like they recommend! Shock

You always have to take recommended with a grain of salt when someone's pockets are being lined.

I used proactiv during high school.

In my opinion, it does not live up to its hype at all. I was not impressed.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |