Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Rant: Being called "Ma'am" and why it sucks
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I have to rant a bit. I went into a coffee shop this morning and was called "ma'am" twice by a girl who works there. What's with the "ma'am"? I have heard it more often in the last year than ever before, and I have to admit it makes me cringe every time. I am only 32 and I have been told I look like I am in my twenties. I have girlfriends who are close to my age (slightly younger) who are also getting the "ma'am" treatment. All of us are active women who are not married yet and are currently pursuing our individual dreams. Usually, I feel empowered and confident, but whenever I am called "ma'am", I feel knocked down a peg somehow-- I feel matronly and "old" for a moment. I realize it is a polite gesture, but I personally think it sucks. Anyone else relate?

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
havana8

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
You might like this thread, jenp7: Smile

The difference between Mam' and Miss?
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22994
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Ha, I had forgotten about that thread!
Again, in my neck of the woods, Ma'm is a sign of respect. Maybe old school to some, but not meant to be offensive and it never fails to make me smile!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:33 am      Reply with quote
jenp7 wrote:
I am only 32 and I have been told I look like I am in my twenties. I have girlfriends who are close to my age (slightly younger) who are also getting the "ma'am" treatment.

There you have it. You know that you are not being called Ma'am because you are old looking. It is a respectful term to use when you are serving or speaking to a woman that you do not know. Since you are obviously a grown woman, what else should they refer to you as? I'm not saying I don't understand where you are coming from. I cringed too when I started getting called Ma'am. I still have moments when it bothers me. But, I realize most people are just being respectful. I know it's hard not to feel you are being called ma'am because you are old looking. It is difficult to get used to this for some women. But, when someone refers to me as Miss I do get excited.
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
I get called ma'am all the time. And when I lived in the French speaking part of Switzerland, I was called madame. It's just a sign of respect.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't worry too much until people get up to offer you a seat on the bus Very Happy
packratmack
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much until people get up to offer you a seat on the bus Very Happy

Good one. Laughing
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Ooooh, wait! I'd LOVE if people offered me a seat on the bus! I wouldn't take it as a sign that I look old, just that I'm a pleasant looking enough woman that they wouldn't mind giving up their seat for me. Especially if its a guy and I'm dressed nicely or if I've already shared some kind of nice exchange, i.e. a smile or a comment, with them. I find it very flattering - just a kind gesture! Chivalry?

I also give up my seat in waiting areas to people for various reasons and always mean to be kind and never mean to offend. Sometimes I'm just getting up/off soon, or sometimes they just look like they'd appreciate it... in dress & heels, fumbling with their purse/wallet etc.

Lets not start giving people more complexes about their age around here! Smile

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
BellaKai
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
I thought I was the only one who cringes when being called this. I'm almost 27 and I'm told I can pass for 23-24. I hate when people call me ma'am. It happened to me yesterday. I HAAAAAATE it.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Then it would be hard to be from the town I am from, haha! You would get a talking to from your parents if you didn't! We need more manners/respect as it is in this world, IMHO.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:18 am      Reply with quote
yeah, I think I was worried that I was starting to look old and that is why I am getting the ma'ams. It seems to not matter if I am in the midwest or the southwest, so I guess there is just something that signals I need a "ma'am" for respect, and hopefully that thing is something positive Smile It still makes me cringe.

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
I think children should be taught to address all adults as Ma'am and Sir.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Very positive! Very Happy

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:33 am      Reply with quote
Come to England, you wont get called Maam even if you were 100. People don't bother with the whole people polite stuff, no thanks, no maam just nothing. I guess North Americans don't appreciate their pleasant customer service skills.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
teewoods wrote:
Come to England, you wont get called Maam even if you were 100. People don't bother with the whole people polite stuff, no thanks, no maam just nothing. I guess North Americans don't appreciate their pleasant customer service skills.

How times have changed. Americans used to be criticized by Brits for being brash and loud while Americans thought of Brits as reserved. I guess reserved has evolved into ignored these days. I blame the parents, the benefits culture and unbridled immigration where people don't assimilate, expecting natives to change for them.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
jenp7 wrote:
Ok, I have to rant a bit. I went into a coffee shop this morning and was called "ma'am" twice by a girl who works there. What's with the "ma'am"? I have heard it more often in the last year than ever before, and I have to admit it makes me cringe every time. I am only 32 and I have been told I look like I am in my twenties. I have girlfriends who are close to my age (slightly younger) who are also getting the "ma'am" treatment. All of us are active women who are not married yet and are currently pursuing our individual dreams. Usually, I feel empowered and confident, but whenever I am called "ma'am", I feel knocked down a peg somehow-- I feel matronly and "old" for a moment. I realize it is a polite gesture, but I personally think it sucks. Anyone else relate?

Oh, don't let it affect you! Like you said, people tell you that you look like you are in your twenties. I really do think it's just a sign of respect for everyone post-college age. Now that I've moved to the South, the majority of times I get called ma'am too, but most people think that I'm in my mid- to late-twenties and some people ask me if I'm still in school. I really don't think it means anything personally, other than a sign of respect. The true test is what age people think you are.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:11 am      Reply with quote
I understand how you feel, it also feels wrong to be called maam! I always think I look old. But at the same time, like you, I look younger. SO I don't worry too much about it. Smile
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:50 am      Reply with quote
jenp7 wrote:

Well I'll just give my theory because I'm hearing it a lot too but in my case it's true because I'm over 40. I think a lot of these younger people in customer service jobs hate their jobs. There's a lot of attitude problems going on...a lot of angry people apparently. Where I live a lot of them are also saying "how you doin'" and "how are you TODAY" or "how can I help you TODAY" in kind of a sarcastic tone that I really don't like. In addition to being called m'aam. Just shut up and do your job.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:27 am      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:

I think a lot of these younger people in customer service jobs hate their jobs.

Plenty of people would be happy to replace them.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
You bet!
Be grateful every day you are alive (A) and that you HAVE a job (B).
When you are counseling homeless families you learn to appreciate what you have!
Sorry, it's just the stories I hear and the faces I see makes the little stuff seem so petty.
Compassion, manners, gratitude, that's what we need more of and less whining, pity parties and selfishness.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |