Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Tired Eyes/Beauty Sleep
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
cat301
5% products discount

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Now I know why sufficient rest is so important. I recently started working 2 jobs, which sometimes means working from 7 in the morning until 2 in the morning, and then repeat that a few days in a row. Isn't that 19 hours? LOL Ugh. I think it's going to get a little less intense soon.

The real reason for this post. When I don't get enough sleep, under my eyes starts to look really awful. Actually the entire eye area looks awful. Whites of eyes look dingy, not white and blood shot. Under eye area has dark circles and lines that are never there otherwise. The lines are seriously deep, versus what they normally look like. It looks like I developed deep wrinkles overnight. Usually I have a couple over very tiny fine lines that a normal person wouldn't notice. This morning it looks like someone chiseled some some cracks into the flesh under my eyes. Besides sleep, what can I do?

My current face regime:

A.M.
PSF Gentle Castile with Clarsonic Mia
PSF BHA 2%
Emu oil if very dry
Burnout Kids Sunscreen
Makeup

P.M. PSF Gentle Castile on Clarasonic Mia
Retin A .025%

I don't use an eye cream ever. I do not use a moisturizer at night. Advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thank you!
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Wow, good for you cat301, for not losing your mind doing that! I could NOT and will not go without sleep like that ever again.

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but my vote would be for OCM massage. When I get tired I start to kinda go expressionless, and feel like my face doesn't get much circulation. There are techniques (Tanaka massage, for example) where it helps drain the lymphatic system, and help with eye puffiness. If they are deep lines, its probably just a fold from the puffiness, not really a line thats etched into your skin yet, if that makes sense?

Other than that, I guess all the solutions for tired eyes... cool things applied, certain eye gels (with fennel) for reducing the puffiness etc. If you don't feel you need one normally, a moisturizer/heavy eye cream MAY not be necessary, so instead focus on the helpful ingredients in whatever topical you might use. (I'm guessing you wouldn't want to trap moisture in an overly puffy eye... just my hunch, not sure.)

I hope you're drinking PLENTY of water and making sure you're getting enough (fish) oils in your diet, since for me tired eyes = dried out eyes. Maybe some natural eyedrops would be helpful - don't get the stuff that takes the red out etc, which I hear is bad with continued use. Just get something which comforts and is wet and soothing, if you think it'd feel good. Try and take some time out during the day to close your eyes for a minute or two - even if its in the washroom!

That's all just my gut feeling based on my experience when tired. I'm sure you'll get loads of helpful posts. All the best and try to get some rest soon. Its really important!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Great advice Lori A. I would also suggest investigating supplements for eyes. May also want to take a low dose melatonin so you get maximum sleep in the time you have. There is no substitute for a good nights' sleep.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:34 am      Reply with quote
Healthy eating! Eat little and often, protein combined with low glycaemic index wholegrain carbs. DO NOT resort to sugars, white carbs or caffeine to keep you alert as this will affect sleep quality and skin health. The body becomes less efficient at correctly processing carbs the more sleep deprived you are. Plenty of water, fruit and veg because a 1% drop in hydration is associated with a 5% fall in (fitness) performance, and reduced mental performance.

Artificial tears/ hyaluronic acid eye drops. You might consider a low molecular weight hyaluronic acid supplement to help your skin and eyes maintain hydration. Please don't take any sleep supplement, natural or otherwise, if you have to drive the next morning.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Please don't take any sleep supplement, natural or otherwise, if you have to drive the next morning.

Does that include melatonin too?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
circus wrote:

Does that include melatonin too?

Yes.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:39 am      Reply with quote
I take melatonin almost every night and drive the next morning. I recently attended a course on sleep, sleep deprivation, the value and purpose of sleep in establishing brain function etc and in the entire 6 hour course there was no mention of not driving after melatonin.
I'd like to know more about not driving the next day....
Can you please elaborate? Thank you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:55 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I take melatonin almost every night and drive the next morning. I recently attended a course on sleep, sleep deprivation, the value and purpose of sleep in establishing brain function etc and in the entire 6 hour course there was no mention of not driving after melatonin.
I'd like to know more about not driving the next day....
Can you please elaborate? Thank you.

Sure! No doubt you are aware that winter/ early mornings are associated with an increased risk of road traffic accidents, as is driver tiredness? Note that my comment was directed at the OP who admits to being chronically sleep deprived with as little as five hours between shifts. It is my understanding that there is presently insufficient scientific evidence to say conclusively whether melatonin does or does not have a 'hangover' effect as reported anecdotally. This is all I found on Pubmed

A 2006 review published in the highly respected British Medical Journal found that "... there is no evidence that melatonin is effective in treating secondary sleep disorders or sleep disorders accompanying sleep restriction, such as jet lag and shiftwork disorder."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1370968/?tool=pmcentrez

A 1998 study found "On each testing day, melatonin 5 mg or placebo was taken at 1630 h; 60 minutes later a test series was performed ... The overall result of the computer test battery showed no objective adverse impact of melatonin on driving performance. However, due to the increased subjective sleepiness after administration of this hormone, caution should be exercised when driving under the influence of melatonin."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9772309

A 2008 study investigated "The effects of therapeutic oral doses of [a prolonged-release formulation of melatonin] (2 mg), zolpidem (10 mg) and their combination administered at bedtime on cognitive functions in healthy subjects aged 55 years and older (12 males + 4 females, age 59.4 +/- 3.2 years) were assessed in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, and four-way crossover study. Psychomotor functions, memory recall, and driving skills were assessed at 1 and 4 h following administration and the next morning ...

CONCLUSIONS:
... PR-M use was not found associated with impairment of psychomotor functions, memory recall, and driving skills, and point to a pharmacodynamic interaction between melatonin and GABA-A modulators.
"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18763235

I have chronic insomnia myself but have never been to a seminar. Confused What were the medical qualifications of those running the workshop you attended?

Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:05 am      Reply with quote
I have used melatonin some and my husband uses it nightly. I have found something else that I like even better and it is "calm" a magnesium drink.
http://www.drugstore.com/natural-vitality-natural-calm-powder-organic-cherry/qxp346873
It works like a charm and no crazy dreams like I can get with melatonin. I actually use the one without flavoring...just plain.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |