Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

OBAGI..help.....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jrslatt17

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I was hoping to get some direction andhelp. I am 44 years ol, with normal wear and tear of my face after 44 years of normal living. I am 6 weeks into the Obagi system. My skin is a mess. It is red, flaking like crazy still, stings and I get wind burned from a small breeze and irritated with cold weather. I feel like my skin has aged since I stated to use this. I have a few questions... How do I control the flaking? It is disgusting. I have started to use the blender and tretonin every other night and that has helped a bit. I get big welts on my skin and then end up with break outs and pimples especially on the sides near my ears....does anyone else get this? When will I start to see results? It seems like my skin has a layer of dead flake all over it constantly, how do i get rid of it I look so old!!! I also feel like my skin is sooo dry , especially around mouth and eyes, what do I do? I dont want to stop becasue I have been doing it for 6 weeks and keep feeling like that great skion could appear any day now. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!!!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
So sorry to read that you are suffering like this. Crying or Very sad It would be worth running a search here on EDS as I know others have experienced the same. You might otherwise contact Obagi for their guidance.

Everything you describe is down to destroying down the barrier function of the stratus corneum, once this occurs weak opportunistic bacteria gain entry, water escapes so you appear older and the skin can be irritated even by the chlorine and fluoride in tap water. IMO such an aggressive treatment system puts your largest organ under great stress, risking chronic sensitivity or dermatitis, but I am sure you researched this beforehand. You might try to *gently* exfoliate with a muslin cloth but TBH the flakes will be protecting the underlying epidermis from the elements.

Be sure not to allow ANY products that are not part of the Obagi programme to touch the sensitised areas, not the rinsing water from hair products whilst you are in the shower, nor toothpaste foam when cleaning your teeth. There are chemicals in these products that can irritate even when extremely dilute; you might be more comfortable switching to a toothpaste and mouthwash that are free of sulphate surfactants, alcohol and other nasties. Aloedent is worth considering as aloe vera has proven healing and anti-ageing properties.

Finally are you consistently meeting or exceeding all your government's recommendations for healthy eating? To repair and regenerate your skin has an increased need for every nutrient - particularly essential fatty acids, protein little and often, nine portions of fruit and veg in a rainbow of colours. These have hydrating, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Be sure to avoid sugars, white/ refined carbohydrates, soda, alcohol and caffeine as these are pro-inflammatory.

HTH.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
jrslatt17 wrote:
Hi! I was hoping to get some direction andhelp. I am 44 years ol, with normal wear and tear of my face after 44 years of normal living. I am 6 weeks into the Obagi system. My skin is a mess. It is red, flaking like crazy still, stings and I get wind burned from a small breeze and irritated with cold weather. I feel like my skin has aged since I stated to use this. I have a few questions... How do I control the flaking? It is disgusting. I have started to use the blender and tretonin every other night and that has helped a bit. I get big welts on my skin and then end up with break outs and pimples especially on the sides near my ears....does anyone else get this? When will I start to see results? It seems like my skin has a layer of dead flake all over it constantly, how do i get rid of it I look so old!!! I also feel like my skin is sooo dry , especially around mouth and eyes, what do I do? I dont want to stop becasue I have been doing it for 6 weeks and keep feeling like that great skion could appear any day now. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!!!

Unfortunately, the redness and flaky skin are just part of the Obagi process. Some people have had luck with getting rid of the flakes with the Clarisonic. I had the best results getting rid of the flaking (temporarily) with the ZO exfoliating polish.

The welts do not sound right, and sound like an allergic reaction to something in one of the products. Are you under the care of a derm or nurse? If so, I would definitely contact them.

Also, are you using all the products in the line and what sunscreen are you using?

As far as results, that is very individual. Some people start to see them at 6 weeks, but it took my skin all of 3 months before I saw results.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to join a thread a couple of us are on who just started obaji..

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=44355

I remember my skin being so irritated at 6 weeks..and it didn't start to show promise until 8 or so weeks. For me, the clarsonic helped so much and allowed me to finish my 12 weeks..without it..I think I would have quit.

I found exfoderm forte really irritating to my skin used with all the other products. Alone..it was not that bad. But for me, all of the products together..were too much.
Maybe you could omit something and use process of elimination to see which product is causing the welts.
jrslatt17

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:24 am      Reply with quote
thank you for all of the suggestions!! i am using the obagi sunscreen. i have just started to use the clarisonic as of today and that certainly helps A LOT. I am going to stick with this as i have made it thru 6 weeks and have almost gotten to 7. I think i might use the exfoliate cream every other day. as i type my face feels so hot. thank you for the suggestions. can any of you tell me when you stopped, why did you stop and what products did you start using when you stopped the Obagi NuDerm system? I am curious as to the maintenance program that is best to go to after this. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!
wfgamble
5% products discount

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:32 am      Reply with quote
The link that hotdog provided shows that my experience was similar to yours but I'm only 7 days in:). I determined that I was using too much product. My skin was on fire. Every single thing that I put on stung so bad that I would yell "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAA".
I have taken a day and a half off of the program and started back last night. I feel like now I am on track with what most everyone else experiences---dryness, crepe-y skin, flakes and just a tiny bit of stinging when I apply the harsher products. I am going to scale back to using blender/retin-a just twice a week and the exfoderm 3-4 days a week and gradually build up. I also use the clarisonic and it helps so much. I know I'm just a week in but I've learned so much and I hope this has helped you a bit.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:00 am      Reply with quote
jrslatt17 wrote:
i am using the obagi sunscreen.

can any of you tell me when you stopped, why did you stop and what products did you start using when you stopped the Obagi NuDerm system? I am curious as to the maintenance program that is best to go to after this. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Which Obagi sunscreen? If it is the Sunfader, that could definitely be your problem with the welts. It is a horrible sunscreen, so if you use that, get something else.

I did the complete cycle, 18 weeks, every year for 3 years because I did not stay on maintenance. I have no pigmentation problems at all. Obagi, IMHO, is the best system out there for hyperpigmentation. It works - if you stick with it and follow the protocol. Good luck. Read the threads here at EDS. There is a lot of useful information in them that could help guide you through the process!
jrslatt17

Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:27 am      Reply with quote
I am using the Obagi Nu Derm spf 35 sunscreen that was in the "kit" that I bought. This kit had all the steps...and I bought the eye gel seperate. I think I will go slow and skip a few of the retin A + blender nights and then gradually increase. Thanks for the tips, very helpful.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
AS for my obaji history....I used the system for 12 weeks..and then stuck with retin A for years..and blender and clear here and there.

But, the cost of the products turned me off for long term use...and the harshness. It seems ok to invest a few hundred or so dollars for a process..but to continue buying forever seemed crazy to me. It also seemed like the peeling would never end...so I tapered off after my skin started looking good.
also...AT that time, I didn't know I could purchase off amazon for so much cheaper. Now it is not so bad. I use elastiderm eye..I think it costs about 36 dollars.

I think obaji is great..and worth doing for 12 to 18 weeks..or when you think you need it. There are also other products out there that are great for different aspects of skincare as well.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |