Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Ultherapy one day after
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
KCProf

Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
Yesterday, I received a full face ultherapy treatment. The treatment included 5 nerve blocking injections. Today, I have significant swelling in the jowl, neck and nasolabial fold areas. Has anyone else had this experience and if so, when did the swelling subside? Also, were you pleased with your results? Thank you.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:31 am      Reply with quote
You should check your reaction with the dermatologist who performed your treatment: really they should have gone through risks and aftercare with you before taking your money.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
KCProf

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:26 am      Reply with quote
I was informed of the possibility of mild swelling for a week or so, but was just not prepared for this much. Have you had Ultherapy treatment?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:30 am      Reply with quote
No I have not, I responded because my work background is healthcare. Really if the reaction does not seem normal to you, it is important to contact your dermatologist - this should be part of the aftercare service. They may be able to advise on topical agents or oral medication that is safe to use to reduce the swelling. They can also add any reaction they find unusual to your notes, in order to treat you safely on a future occasion.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
I am going through similar after my radio frequency treatment a week ago. One side is more swollen so I'm telling everyone I have a sinus infection. The rest of the puffiness I say is due to my pigging out on holiday treats, which is partially true, actually. Crying or Very sad I blame myself because I didn't bother using icepacks on my face afterward. I'll give it another week.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:39 am      Reply with quote
It's extremely common to have swelling after a laser treatment. Some people are more prone to it than others (I'm a sweller!) Try sleeping with your head elevated.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:05 am      Reply with quote
Firefox, thank you for your professional opinion. I have decided that if the swelling is no better by Monday, I will call the office. I am being pretty diligent with ice packs. Softskin, you are so funny! My sister told me to tell people the same thing: that I ate too much holiday pie! My swollen face makes me look like I gained 30lbs!! I facetimed my sister and she was surprised, but we had a good hardy laugh about it, which in itself is good medicine. However, it won't be as funny if I still look 30lbs overweight next week! I wonder what factors influence one's tendency to be a sweller?
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:19 am      Reply with quote
I had amazing swelling..shockingly so after a treatment where I was told.."mild swelling" it was alarming and inconsiderate on the doctor's part. I've never gone back...I think he is an ass. You are there because your face and looks matter to you.. you think they'd prepare you. Mine was so swollen, I panicked and was fearful.

To share what I now know..Use arnica cream or gel if you can get someone to get it for you. I'd take an anti inflammatory too..and keep with cold cloths on your face. In fact they should have had you taking arnica pills a week before and given you a tube of gel on the front end. You can buy arnica pills and gel at Whole Body...and health food stores.

Do the public a favor and express your displeasure with the lack of consideration to the doctor's office. I have heard great things about this procedure..please keep us posted on your progress.
KCProf

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for your understanding and empathy. I feel relief to talk to someone who has has the same procedure. Can you please tell me how long your swelling lasted?

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of products that might help.

Anything you could tell me about your Ultherapy, healing time, and result would be greatly appreciated. When did you have the treatment?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:01 am      Reply with quote
I would not recommend an anti-inflammatory drug except on medical advice; research suggests these can actually delay healing. These are most useful when inflammation is so great that it damages surrounding tissue or impedes normal function of the tissue.

I understand people mean to be helpful but IMO you are being irresponsible. OP please contact your derm and get professional advice.

hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 am      Reply with quote
To the poster.. I did not have ultherapy..It was another laser treatment where my face ballooned up. I know Realself.com has reviews with others who have had ultherapy..check those out.

Now to FF? I am not being irresponsible.. I'm sharing my experience...which is what we all do on this forum. I think we all realize we are not doctors here.

In fact.. the issue in the post is that "medical" experts who administered this procedure failed this woman in proper aftercare.. so why you encourage her to call back to rely solely on them...puzzles me. In her experience..and mine..the medical "experts" are the ones who were irresponsible in not preparing patients and giving them tools to help with potential side effects.

With that said, I remember calling my doctor and his condescending attitude on the phone..telling me it all would pass..blah blah blah.

It was his nurse that told me to take an anti inflammatory every four to 8 hours and it did help. Perhaps you MAY be right that it delayed my healing... I don't know..I'm not a doctor..it seemed to make sense and help....that is why I mentioned that.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
hotdocgirl wrote:

Now to FF? I am not being irresponsible.. I'm sharing my experience...which is what we all do on this forum. I think we all realize we are not doctors here.

In fact.. the issue in the post is that "medical" experts who administered this procedure failed this woman in proper aftercare.. so why you encourage her to call back to rely solely on them...puzzles me. In her experience..and mine..the medical "experts" are the ones who were irresponsible in not preparing patients and giving them tools to help with potential side effects.

It was his nurse that told me to take an anti inflammatory every four to 8 hours and it did help. Perhaps you MAY be right that it delayed my healing... I don't know..I'm not a doctor..it seemed to make sense and help....that is why I mentioned that.

You might have recommended the OP consult with a pharmacist, the derm's nurse, their family doctor or another dermatologist. I qualified "except on medical advice" which you had, based on the level of swelling you experienced. "I'd take an anti inflammatory too" is not sharing your experience, it is making a recommendation without understanding the implications. I have no wish to pick a fight because I know your intentions are genuine and your experiences valuable; it is your phraseology that I felt irresponsible, you may feel mine are likewise and that is your prerogative.

Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
I just have to be the voice of reason here: Firstly, I think it's ridiculous to have an intensive, painful procedure like this and to not expect some kind of swelling. I have had one Thermage, one Pearl laser and numerous IPLs - my face has always swelled up like a balloon, regardless of all the ice packs I applied afterwards. People seem to think they're going to have these types of treatments and walk out of the clinic "transformed". It just doesn't work that way. The swelling is an indication of the "injuring" of the dermis - which will stimulate new collagen growth. But this won't be evident for months down the track. For this reason, I wouldn't go taking an anti-inflammatory.

KCProf - you were told to expect some swelling, and that's what you've got. As I said in my previous post, some people swell more than others. My daughter has had similar treatments to me and she doesn't swell up as much as I do. I don't know why this is.

Obviously, if you are in any way worried about your procedure, contact the doctor's clinic and I'm sure they will reassure you that everything is fine. Arnica may help (it doesn't do much for me) but it is best started before the treatment.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Omg FF/hdg, too funny. Well, she MIGHT have but she didn't! EDS has a disclaimer here: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/terms.php so its not necessary.

This is the type of forum where everyone is encouraged to share their opinions and they aren't strict about how. I don't see them changing that anytime soon since it seems to be pretty successful as is! Most of us try not to criticize or at least be polite when doing so, another reason why the forum is successful.

If EDS intended for there to be qualified/trusted advisors here, they'd select some and give them authoritative status so we can identify them, seperate from those who are just playing the role of one on a public message board, and then there'd probably be rules about how they can advise. Not to say that there aren't many medical, skincare and other experts who post here, but its somewhat useless to mention the fact... given that we're all aware when we post here that its just a public forum where we can claim anything we want. So as I understand all opinions here are welcome!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hey..y'all.. of course this is silly and off point and I don't like being involved in negative banter..I was just responding to the poster's sincere question with my experience just like I do all the time on EDS.

I come here to have fun and learn.. and that I do and that I have. lol..

Now...getting back on track, one thing that the poster should be glad of..is that they gave her nerve blocks. On complaint I've read about ultherpay on real-self.com is that the procedure is way more painful than expected. I bet she ends up with a great result. can't wait to hear all about the outcome.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
hotdocgirl wrote:
Now...getting back on track, one thing that the poster should be glad of..is that they gave her nerve blocks. On complaint I've read about ultherpay on real-self.com is that the procedure is way more painful than expected. I bet she ends up with a great result. can't wait to hear all about the outcome.

Yes, I've never been given a nerve block - only ever had anesthetic cream. Am also interested to see if KC gets any lifting and tightening.

ETA: Just wanted to add that I don't particularly like realself.com - it's full of whingers who expected to have a laser treatment and walk out the door looking like Cameron Diaz!! Not many seem to realise that it IS painful and that you will probably look like you've been hit by a bus afterwards. But lasers are also a case of "no pain, no gain" and real results can take a while to show up.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
K ..true..I find overall..most people are more apt to post a complaint than praise.

This forum is one of the few where I don't feel like that happens too much...maybe because a lot of us are pretty seasoned and opened minded about skincare.

But on realself.. many post right away their complaints the day after .. and never come back and update. Most laser and topical treatments take months to take hold. So on real-self..I keep that in mind ..but I still go there to see what people are saying.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
This is me straight after the Pearl Laser (the swelling had not kicked in at this point).

This is me about ten days later (also had my cheeks filled!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
This is me straight after the Pearl Laser (the swelling had not kicked in at this point).

So now I know why products don't work on your skin - you don't need any help! You looks great, Keliu!
rmc7
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

You are absolutely beautiful!!!

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
I sure didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest. Sorry, girls. You are right that I should have expected more pain and swelling in that my dermis was being "injured"; I was just unprepared to swell so much, and just wanted to see if anyone else had had a similar experience. I am actually getting some relief tonight, not alot, but some.

I will keep you posted and let you know if I notice any difference over the course of the next 2-3 mos.

Regarding the nerve blocks: They were the worst part, but I am a needle-phobe. They really creeped me out and HURT! But, there was little to no discomfort during the procedure. IF I get a significant improvement in skin laxity, I would seriously consider doing this again, but will no doubt need xanax to get thru the nerve blocks.

Thank you all for your replies.
KCProf

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
PS: Keliu, you are beautiful!! Smile
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
So now I know why products don't work on your skin - you don't need any help! You looks great, Keliu!

That was two years ago - time has again marched on and it just gets harder and harder. Maybe I should talk myself into another treatment! I'm interested to see if KC gets any lifting because it's my jowls that are my worse thing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

That was two years ago - time has again marched on and it just gets harder and harder. Maybe I should talk myself into another treatment! I'm interested to see if KC gets any lifting because it's my jowls that are my worse thing.

I still think you're gorgeous and your skin looks fantastic. Very Happy
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
I agree...she looks great..nice even skin..glows.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |