Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

big luscious hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:52 pm      Reply with quote

I want to achieve fabulous hair like Blake Lively. How can I do this myself? I have thick, healthy long hair that is virgin hair...however, my hair tends to be flat at the scalp and more full at the bottom. I want to achieve volume on the scalp of my head. What are some recommended products?? Currently I am using:
Aveda Peppermint/rosemary shampoo
no conditioner: my hair is super healthy so I don't find a need for conditioner, plus it tends to weigh my hair down.
Aveda phommolient (which doesn't do anything for me)
Blowdry my hair in no special way
Bumble & Bumble Beach Spray (which i can't stand the smell + does nothing for me)

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
What kind of haircut do you have? She has layers, which helps with volume. Keep in mind, she looks like that after hours of styling. Hair serums/pomades/styling aids only work if you know what you're doing (and I'm guess they're much easier to master if you're doing someone else's hair, not your own), and they require a lot of maintenance, and can make hair looks greasy.

I think the way to achieve voluminous hair is,

-have thick healthy hair to begin with
-appropriate haircut (layers keep hair from being weighed down)
-a good shampoo that cleanses without weighing hair down

I think keeping a comb in your purse and brushing your hair out upside down throughout the day might be more helpful than any product.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:36 am      Reply with quote
I was reading a blog recently where the author used a root brush - from Curly Hair Solutions but I am sure there are other brands.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ywk8_how-to-use-the-root-brush-curly-hai_lifestyle

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't compare my hair to someone who is in a photo that has been long prepared (stylists, hair products, absolute best lighting, maybe even 'touched up' a bit.) For all you know Blake and many others look like slicked down chihuahua's when they don't have all their advantages to give hair it's best look.

Go with what you have: Try out styling products - experiment, Ask questions of Real people who's hair you like and is similar to yours.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
yes, I want such hair too, but such comparing can hardly help. Most likely, there are good extensions in her hair too...
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
yes, I want such hair too, but such comparing can hardly help. Most likely, there are good extensions in her hair too...

(Sorry: repeated posting, for some reason)
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
I want to achieve volume on the scalp of my head. What are some recommended products?? Currently I am using:

Blowdry my hair in no special way

Pureology root lift works pretty well to give some lift on top. However, I am not sure how long your hair is, but that alone could make it flatter on top. Also, flip your head down and blow dry. That works the best for me.
stardustgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
I know you said conditioner weighs your hair down, but have you tried using it *just* on the ends? It's hard to tell without seeing your hair, but if it's drier at the ends that could make it appear fuller than the hair nearer your scalp (which has more oil). Taming the ends along with using a root-lifting product might help you get the look you want.

I've also found that putting my hair in a ponytail on top of my head and letting it dry that way makes for more fullness at the top. I tend to air-dry more than blow-dry, but it's the same idea as bending over and drying your hair upside-down.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I used to dye my hair...the bleach plus the dye has changed the texture of my hair. I actually liked my my previous hair better because it was easier to curl and style and hold (i guess my hair was drier because of the dye and therefore easier to work with). My hair has grown out and is now virgin hair because I found it very costly to maintain my hair by getting it coloured professionally every 3 months. Does anyone else find that colouring their hair actually gives them easier hair to work with and style?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
I used to dye my hair...the bleach plus the dye has changed the texture of my hair. I actually liked my my previous hair better because it was easier to curl and style and hold (i guess my hair was drier because of the dye and therefore easier to work with). My hair has grown out and is now virgin hair because I found it very costly to maintain my hair by getting it coloured professionally every 3 months. Does anyone else find that colouring their hair actually gives them easier hair to work with and style?

Yes - my stylist said it would change the texture and I have found it to be so.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:22 am      Reply with quote
I have baby fine hair which I wear really short because it just won't hold any kind of style. I bleach it myself regularly which helps to give it a bit more body.

I agree with what SisterSweets said about the photo of Blake Lively - she's probably got a team of hair and makeup people just out of the shot making sure her hair is just "so".

What about trying one of those hair styling gadgets - the one with the spinning ceramic barrel and brush thingy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Keliu is talking about The "instyler". I have one in the big barrel size which is helpful for basic straightening and smoothing. I have thick (sometimes insane) hair to deal with and it helps me to smooth and style pretty well. The smaller barrel would be better for curls in the hair. I think it would be better for lifting "up".
Some people like them - some do not. I suggest you read the reviews on QVC and watch the videos - then if you want one - check ebay. There is one person who is an authorized dealer. The products have small (not even visible really) scratches somewhere.

Back in the 70's we used to pull all our hair up on top of our head to get the fullness - big hair look. I did it to get the lift and to straighten out my 'big hair'. Crazy. When my hair was longer I used to french braid while still damp and let dry and take it out - it was a pretty look of soft full curls and then just touch the ends with an iron if needed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have very curly hair which I need to get "clumped" together into the tight curls in order to maintain any kind of tidiness, so what makes it different is that my hair probably doesn't fall and move around a lot compared to yours.

But a bit of hairspray at the roots and back-combed a bit (just near the roots for support) seems to really do the trick and help it to stay put as far as volume on top.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Okay I have to weigh in on this one since it is my guilty pleasure and being a 6th generation, big hair seems to be in my DNA.
My hair is the same length as Blake's (and yes at 49 I know that is a TAD too long, haha).
I have naturally curly hair and on a daily basis, it is wash and deep conditioner only.
But for special occasions and those weekend date nights I go the extra length.
I wash, condition almost to the root, apply gel and then let it mostly dry on top of my head while applying makeup. Then I finish with diffuse drying with my fingers so as to not make it frizz too much or lose the body (and I do this while my head is upside down for the volume). I leave it still slightly damp, sometimes more depending on how much time I have to let it dry since it can take hours this thick and long.
I then apply a little finish creme to the ends since I have long layers along the front, sides and back for height. I run the flat iron in spots as needed to smooth root bumps(and it is still damp). I do this sparingly since the flat iron can also make it lose volume. I also sometimes use the largest barrel iron, again depending on how dry and how much time.
At that point I roll it all up on velcro rollers the size of a small child and spray it with hair spray. And the KEY to it all is spraying a dry shampoo on the roots, favorite is PSSST. This helps plump it up and give the extra oomph to the roots.
After 4-5 hours (yes, it is a lengthy process which is why I say it is not daily), I take it down and shake it out, lightly finger or pick comb it out with a bit of teasing at the back crown as needed. I use Loreal Ellnet and spray liberally.
A shorter version involves drying it all the way, barely flattening, velco rollers while doing makeup and then hot rollers (extra jumbo).
Whew, exhausting even typing all that. But it does work and I promise you I get results and my hubby absolutely loves it. My DIL calls it the Victoria Secret Angel hair, haha. Now if only I could get the face and body to match!
I will probably have big hair in my casket, or at least I better!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Keliu is talking about The "instyler". I have one in the big barrel size which is helpful for basic straightening and smoothing. I have thick (sometimes insane) hair to deal with and it helps me to smooth and style pretty well. The smaller barrel would be better for curls in the hair. I think it would be better for lifting "up".
Some people like them - some do not. I suggest you read the reviews on QVC and watch the videos - then if you want one - check ebay. There is one person who is an authorized dealer. The products have small (not even visible really) scratches somewhere.

Hey Sister Sweets,

I have similar hair--lots of volume, a bit frizzy and a bit kinky in the back. How do you like the the Instyler? It's a curler and hair straightener in one, correct? Love to know what you recommend Smile Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:33 am      Reply with quote
After going through it all yesterday, I thought I should add that for all the time involved, I do work at home and that helps!
If I did not, I would do the wash and dry night before and then hotrollers in the morning.
When I have my hair like this, I can make it go longer by piling it on top of my head at night while I sleep with a large cotton strip of old T shirt. It keeps the volumne and the curl.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
I read somewhere recently that blake using extensions for length n volume..i think it was on beautytalk.com
havana8

Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
This is what I often do for beachy waves and/or volume when I wash my hair at night: Smile

Last month, Blake Lively revealed that behind her sexy beachy waves is minimal effort, telling Us Weekly, "I put it in a ballerina bun, take it out and it comes out how you see it."

And now, another blonde actress has come clean about her low-key tresses. In the February issue of Glamour, Rachel McAdams dishes about a similar technique she uses on her hair while it dries: several mini buns.

(from US Magazine )
Pluto
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
The ballerina bun works for me, too. I take my hair out and it's waves to wow for. That lasts about as long as it takes me to go from the bathroom to the bedroom. Trick is to have your photographer right there when you un-bun your hair!

Also I agree with sister sweet and ella-stella: a beauty crew plus extensions will do the trick every time.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I want to achieve fabulous hair like Blake Lively. How can I do this myself? I have thick, healthy long hair that is virgin hair...however, my hair tends to be flat at the scalp and more full at the bottom. I want to achieve volume on the scalp of my head.

You don't necessarily need styling products to lift the hair on your scalp.

Hair that's heavy or thick tends to get weighed down when it's long, which flattens the hair closest to your scalp. (I can't wear really long hairstyles
because of this)

Layers help, and texturizing thick hair at the bottom makes a big difference. (Permanent hair color also helps, because it makes the hair shaft swell)

Bumble and Bumble beach spray won't help lift the roots,
but they do make an extra strength holding spray that works: pull up the hair at the scalp and spray the underside of the hair at the roots.
It's strong, so spray lightly, but it works if you have a lot of hair, or if it's thick. Or both. (I wasted a lot of money on hair products and sprays before
I found it)

hth
Finefernie

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
I bet she has hair extensions or fake hair clipped into her existing hair.. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
onmyboat wrote:
What kind of haircut do you have? She has layers, which helps with volume. Keep in mind, she looks like that after hours of styling. Hair serums/pomades/styling aids only work if you know what you're doing (and I'm guess they're much easier to master if you're doing someone else's hair, not your own), and they require a lot of maintenance, and can make hair looks greasy.

I think the way to achieve voluminous hair is,

-have thick healthy hair to begin with
-appropriate haircut (layers keep hair from being weighed down)
-a good shampoo that cleanses without weighing hair down

I think keeping a comb in your purse and brushing your hair out upside down throughout the day might be more helpful than any product.

agreed! my hair tends to be heavy and oily after a long day at work.

i think it's important to carry a small bottle of moisturising serum for the hair ends. then it would be easier to brush your hair upside down and still achieve a volumizing effect at the hair crown.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:55 am      Reply with quote
The upside down drying or brushing always makes the difference. When I take mine down in the morning I spray it lightly as well.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:15 am      Reply with quote
It's interesting to see that Big Hair is making a come-back. Brushing upside down and strong-hold hairspray and the larger heads they gave I definitely remember being put down in favor of "small, neat heads" (I remember that phrase from a fashion magazine.)

How long will big, luscious hair last this time, I wonder. Should I invest in the look? Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
The upside down drying or brushing always makes the difference. When I take mine down in the morning I spray it lightly as well.

I'm not wearing my hair as big as I have been the last few years, just have decided sleek is better for me at this point. A product I've relied on a lot is Sally Hershberger Style Primer:
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=221271&catid=183510&aid=338666&aparam=221271
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |