Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Acne products for a pre-teen!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Please help me find a natural topical products for my 11yr. old daughter. She has inherited her father's oily skin. Biggest problem area is her forehead which looks absolutely terrible. It is totally covered with red, raised pimples. I make her wash her hair everyday since it is also oily. She also uses Clearasil face pads several times a day. I am looking for a topical all natural solution. Thanks
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Using Clearasil face pads could be making her skin more oily since they contain alcohol.

Take a look at garden of wisdom. I know they have a bunch of acne products. I personally like the tea tree serum and the sulfur mask.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
What products are you using to cleanse her face and hair at present? Does she allow the residues/ bubbles of any hair product to rinse over her forehead in the shower? Clearasil pads multiple times a day will be over-exfoliating and over-drying, it may be her poor face and scalp are pumping out sebum in order to protect themselves. Damaging the protective acid mantle/ stratus corneum allows acne bacteria to gain entry, and having broken skin will increase the chance of chemical irritation ... vicious cycle.

Also does your whole family consistently meet or exceed all your government's recommendations for healthy eating? Excess oil production could indicate a stressed system or hormone imbalances, both of which can be improved with diet modification. What is your budget for your daughters skin and haircare?

ETA: looks like the Clearasil pads contain salicylic acid and/ or benzoyl peroxide! Please throw them away.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
I do not have any experience with acne since I have always had very clear skin that was on the drier side. I have used products from Garden of Wisdom and trust the company so I will look into that. I cook healthy, wholesome foods and stay away from package and fast foods but my daughter loves carbs. and chocolate so I try to limit her on that. I also urge her to drink plenty of water. I will stop her from using Clearasil immediately!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Starlight wrote:
I do not have any experience with acne since I have always had very clear skin that was on the drier side. I have used products from Garden of Wisdom and trust the company so I will look into that. I cook healthy, wholesome foods and stay away from package and fast foods but my daughter loves carbs. and chocolate so I try to limit her on that. I also urge her to drink plenty of water. I will stop her from using Clearasil immediately!

Perhaps try steering her onto low glycaemic index carbs and low sugar dark chocolate? You probably already know the other stuff is inflammatory/ stressful to the body. If you can 'persuade' her to have a really substantial low GI breakfast, research suggests she is less likely to opt for sugary or fatty foods later in the day. Wink

Do also let me know what you are using to cleanse her face and hair, if there are sulphate surfactants particularly.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Starlight wrote:

Perhaps try steering her onto low glycaemic index carbs and low sugar dark chocolate? You probably already know the other stuff is inflammatory/ stressful to the body. If you can 'persuade' her to have a really substantial low GI breakfast, research suggests she is less likely to opt for sugary or fatty foods later in the day. Wink

Do also let me know what you are using to cleanse her face and hair, if there are sulphate surfactants particularly.

Her shampoo is a problem and I am searching for a shampoo for oily hair that does not make her hair dry and brittle. I use sulfate free shampoo for dry hair. Any recommendations on shampoo would be appreciated. Thanks
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:15 am      Reply with quote
Starlight wrote:
Firefox7275 wrote:
Starlight wrote:

Her shampoo is a problem and I am searching for a shampoo for oily hair that does not make her hair dry and brittle. I use sulfate free shampoo for dry hair. Any recommendations on shampoo would be appreciated. Thanks

Why do you think her shampoo is a problem? Also, you might want to look into some chagrin valley products: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=44431&highlight=&sid=4169626e85bb2fabf28aa6a43bdb938e

They are completely natural and do not use any sulfates at all. They have some great reviews on makeupalley if you do a search.
amapolita

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:20 am      Reply with quote
I used those Neutrogena/Stridex type pads a lot as a teenager, too, and they never did any good. I use them as an adult to wipe down my back and chest before bed, and they seem to be good for chasing away body acne, but that's about it.

Some basics that have nothing to do with products:

Change her pillowcase at least once a week, twice if possible. Same goes for the towel she uses to dry her face, and her washcloth (if she uses one).

If she touches her face a lot, try helping her to break the habit. This is nowhere near as easy as it sounds; I still catch myself doing it a lot.

As far as natural products, I know that many people have a lot of success spot-treating with tea tree oil.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Starlight wrote:

Why do you think oily hair needs a different type of cleanser to dry hair? Any harsh or gentle surfactant (anionic, cationic, non-ionic) will remove sebum with good shampooing technique. Conditioner-only washing is often used by long hairs and curly girls to remove coconut or other oils after an intensive treatment. I use this method myself including after not washing my hair for over a week whilst unwell. For reference approximately half of my armpit length hair was coated in sebum! Shock

Sulphates can actually cause or increase oiliness, plus the bubbles are likely to be irritating your daughters inflamed forehead. Personally I would switch her to your sulphate free shampoo/ face cleanser/ shower gel for a couple of weeks then reassess how oily her skin is. I found my T-zone and scalp were less oily overnight, but some find there is a period of adjustment. A moisturiser such as CeraVe may help speed the repair of her skin barrier, and is non-comedogenic (will not block pores).

Sorry to disagree with Oasisjc but I would not move straight from sulphates to an alkaline soap on irritated, inflamed or broken skin. IMO the stratus corneum/ acid mantle/ sebaceous glands should be allowed to calm down and repair. Furthermore some of the oils and butters in these bars - whilst wonderful for hair condition - are comedogenic. Alkaline products destroy the protective acid mantle, which is important for keeping bacteria out. By all means try these over the longer term, once you have the oiliness or acne under control.

HTH!

cbhattarai

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:00 am      Reply with quote
Follow this:

se gentle, fragrance-free cleansers and soaps.
To prevent dry skin and rashes, apply liberal amounts of moisturizer after bathing.
Initiate early sun-protection behaviors, including:

The regular use of a broad-spectrum sunscreen that offers a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 30 or higher.
If child is prone to skin irritation or allergic reactions, select a physical or chemical-free sunscreen with the ingredients zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
Reapply sunscreen approximately every two hours, even on cloudy days, and after swimming or sweating.
Wear protective clothing, such as a long-sleeved shirt, pants, a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses, where possible.
Seek shade when appropriate, and remember that the sun's rays are strongest between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Use extra caution near water, snow, and sand because they reflect the damaging rays of the sun, which can increase your chance of sunburn.

[url=http://www.thehealthmagic.com/skin-health-for-long-lasting-natural-beauty.html]Skin health[/url] | [url=http://www.thehealthmagic.com/healthy-juice-is-equal-to-healthy-skin.html]healthy skin[/url] | [url=http://www.thehealthmagic.com/skin-health-tips-give-healthy-life-to-your-skin.html]skin health tips[/url]
ritusen
5% products discount

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I can understand your concern for your daughter. But stressing yourself and her that too when she is just 11 will make it even more difficult to treat pimples. Because all studies suggest that stress aggravates pimples.

You are already doing well by cooking healthy food and urging her to drink water. This will help in the long run. And it’s a myth that chocolates cause pimples, so there is nothing wrong in indulging her with chocolates occasionally. As for pimple treatment product, Proactiv offers a wide range of products suited for oily and pimple prone skin. You can opt for Proactiv acne solution to treat your daughter’s pimples. It has helped many in treating pimples. Also their Oil control cream keeps oil at bay. But don’t forget to consult your pediatrician before starting any topical treatment as your daughter is just 11 yrs old. The doctor would know your child’s medical history, thus would be in a better position to suggest you the right treatment for her pimples. In the meanwhile you need to ensure that she doesn’t develop any inferiority complex because of her pimples. Studies have shown that acne and pimple affects a person more emotionally and mentally than physically. Hope it helps.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Try QV facial cleasner.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Proactive is a common choice for adolescents.... Many teens (and my old classmates) jumped straight into proactive with varying results. But it is an incredibly harsh product. I do not recommend it (those darn tv ads)!

Instead...

I remember using the old asprin mask trick. Dissolving a few asprin in water (and mixing with a tad of honey- optional). You can find many reviews on this. Acne.org is a good site for natural home remedies (baking soda, apple cider vinegar).

Also Paula's Choice or any brand's BHA products can help keep bumps at bay (for a majority). This helped me as well.
havana8

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:55 am      Reply with quote
You might like these two threads, Starlight:

Tweens & Pimples? Anyone heard of Bellaboo ?
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=40031

Bellaboo Skincare Review - Very Impressed So Far
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=40142

Smile
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |