Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

New and almost 50 and need a good skin care regimen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Karenl39

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Hello,

I am almost 50 years old. I have always had fairly good skin and haven't been good about taking care of it. I've tried skin care products in the past and don't really use any right now.

I do use bare minerals foundation and underneath it I use neutrogena moisturizer with spf of 15.

I am looking for a good cleanser, moisturizer and something to use that contains dmae. I've noticed my face is sagging Sad

Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you,

Karen
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:53 am      Reply with quote
What's your skin type? Oily, dry, normal, combination? At any rate, ditch the Neutrogena. It only has chemical sunblockers, some of which are suspected to be photosensitizers, as in they produce more free radicals which means increased photoaging.

Look into Badger SPF 30 (for dry skin), Devita SPF 30 (for, I'd say, all skin types except the very dry). Those are the two naturals sunblocks that I've personally tried and liked, but I'm sure others will suggest more.

Have you considered trying the Oil Cleansing Method? It reduces blackheads, evens tone, it's very gentle. There's a long thread about it in the Skincare DIY & Tools forum.

I really don't know anything about DMAE, but I think you'd benefit from a Vitamin C+E+ferulic acid serum. You apply it under your sunscreen. It protects against free radicals, induces collagen production, evens tone, etc.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
If you have good skin, I wouldn't recommend changing your routine unless you have specific issues you'd like to address. Tampering and laying on too many unnecessary products might cause problems.

I agree with everything onmyboat recommended. OCM oils (whichever you decide upon) can also be used as a gentle cleanser and if coupled with Tanaka massage, would help with the facial sagging. I wipe mine off with a steaming microfibre cloth or you can add an emulsifier like polysorbate 80 so the oils will rinse off easily with water.

And are you sure that you NEED a moisturizer? Some of us don't, and I figure my Devita sunscreen is plenty. It comes in a moisturizer & a body lotion and contains natural/helpful ingredients for skin. I use the lotion on my face and its lovely.

I'd be a little more cautious with the vitamin c unless you think it necessary. onmyboat is right though, it is supposed to encourage collagen production. I prefer to use it every 2-3 days at night since I've heard its most effective at night and stays in the skin for up to 3 days.

Please recognize that you have good skin, and don't buy into the hype that you need to use products. Some of us do in order to help correct past damage, but unless you see signs of deterioration coming, your skin may be doing a good enough job on its own, protecting & balancing. We should all be so lucky!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
AFAIK there are few, if any, products that are effective on sagging - that is more the domain of gadgets or techniques.

Not a product but have you considered facial exercises to tighten/ build the muscles which support the skin and underlying fat? There are several threads on the DIY board to skim though. Agree with Onmyboat and LoriA that OCM and Tanaka are worth exploring: again threads on both in the DIY board. Otherwise you might consider massaging with a balm style (solid butter) cleanser and using muslin cloths to gently exfoliate. If you were to do any of these techniques, try not to introduce too many new products at the same time as sensitivity can be unpredictable.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Another not-a-product suggestion: I would ask a doctor for a full hormone panel. You might be deficient in growth hormone, for instance, and benefit from some hormone therapy under the supervision of a good doctor.

Two good books are both titled The Hormone Solution, one by Thierry Hertoghe, and the other by Erika Schwartz.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, and I should add that there are many nutritional and behavioral things you can do to boost production of some hormones. So it helps to have a holistic doctor for guidance.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:23 am      Reply with quote
Good idea, Rockhugger. Cool

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |