Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Bioelements Calmitude Hydrating Solution (118 ml / 4 floz) Osea Ocean Lotion (180 ml / 6 floz) Bremenn Clinical Upper Eyelid Lifter (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Apple cider vinegar as an exfoliant?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Miafrieda

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hello ladies! I'm new here. I found this forum very interesting, so surely, I will be regular of it.

My first questions is, as my title points out, can really apple cider vinegar be used as an exfoliant just like AHAs?
I'm switching to organic, raw skincare and most of the stuff I use daily right now, is made by me. I'm constantly looking for new ways to replace the products I always use and something I couldn't fully replace was my AHA. I was using one from Reviva Labs, but now, I stopped using it because I've read that ACV can be a great replacement to regular AHA products, so if I can really make it by myself, there's no doubt I will be replacing it because I better like to choose something that I made than something that I bought and anyone else did. And, being honest, I don't trust in Reviva Labs, they use chemical sunscreen agents and some synthetic ingredients, so who can tell me that the AHAs I'm using aren't synthetic as well?
For what I read, ACV contains acetic acid (is that an AHA?) and malic, lactic and citric acids as well. Not to mention that is acidic and probably has a PH of 2-3.
I'm planning to add ACV to my regular hydrating mist (made by myself, of course) of green tea and raw honey, because now I want something exfoliating, and I don't want to stop using AHAs, because even when raw ingredients are working like magic to make my skin looking great, I still miss the radiance and softness of the AHA products.

So, what do you think about that? Do you think can this really work? Have you ever heard about this? Have you ever tried this?

Thanks!
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:14 am      Reply with quote
I don't believe acetic acid would be considered an AHA as that's just the chemical name for vinegar. Lactic acid is, however, though I find it strange to be in ACV since it's usually found in milk (where its name is derived from as lact- = milk). It might contain glycolic acid as glycolic acid is commonly found in fruits and originally discovered in sugar canes.

Bottom line is: I wouldn't use it for exfoliative purposes. It can be quite nourishing to the skin, but if you're looking for exfoliation, I would venture into actual AHAs and BHAs found at makeupartists choice, paula's choice, and garden of wisdom (for a natural alternative)
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:06 am      Reply with quote
There are people here on the forum who use ACV for mild peels. There are several threads about it to be found here on the forum. Vinegar has been used in beauty products for hundreds of years.
You could also try lemon juice.
olayclarisonic

Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:52 am      Reply with quote
I really like THE CLARISONIC very much as one of skin care systems, which is a great help for exfoliating.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:55 am      Reply with quote
I am a fan of natural skincare and DIY, but what is natural in the plant kingdom does not always translate to what is natural for humans. Be aware too that there are many harsh or toxic chemicals found in nature.

AFAIK there is very little of any other acid than acetic in vinegar, does your source give percentages? One of the regulars uses dilute vinegar to remove the dead skin on her feet: I tried it and found it effective but very drying. Of the AHAs lactic acid particularly is hydrating, endogenous to skin can therefore confer softness. IMO find a way to incorporate live yoghurt into your routine.

Bit off topic but as regards oils and waxes, do consider lanolin because this supplies the cholesterol and some saturated fatty acids that our skin barrier needs for optimal function.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
hippie_sotong
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:05 am      Reply with quote
i've heard of people using ACV as a exfoliating toner, by mixing ACV with water or rosewater to dilute. percentages vary though. i think you can start out with 20% ACV/80% water?
hippie_sotong
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:05 am      Reply with quote
i've heard of people using ACV as a exfoliating toner, by mixing ACV with water or rosewater to dilute. percentages vary though. i think you can start out with 20% ACV/80% water?
System
Automatic Message
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Phyto-C SuperHeal O-Live Lotion (30 g / 1 floz) DS Laboratories Trioxil.PM Anti-Acne Gel (30 ml) Osea Ocean Lotion (180 ml / 6 floz)