Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

skin regimen for over 40?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
musettarose
5% products discount

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 43, new to all this and I was hoping to see some samples of what your different skin care regimens are. After much study this is what I'm thinking of doing, (I have dry sensitive skin, starting to sag, some wrinkles in neck and forehead)
Please advise of what you found worked for you, thanks!

AM

gentle cleanser or just warm water
rose witch hazel toner
diy C,E, ferulic serum
HA & Vitamin B5 gel
emu oil or coconut oil
tinted moisturizer with spf

PM

Gentle cleanser
witch hazel toner
retin A gel 0.025%
emu oil

How does that sound?? Am I missing anything? I love this forum, I can't believe it took me so long before I found it!!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome! Very Happy I am pushing 40, have sensitive skin which is easily dehydrated; mild atopic eczema/ contact dermatitis but not on my face at present. Forehead lines, poor elasticity of eyelids and first hint of jowling, all very subtle. I have started out concentrating on hydration and repair of the skin barrier, my skin will not take daily acids like Retin-A, ascorbic acid or ferulic and I am not willing to waste any more years fighting it! Laughing Best thing I did was to cut sulphate surfactants out of your hair or skincare routines and to start reading the ingredients generally!

My current routine is
- plain lotion cleanser, removed with warm water and a muslin cloth
- no toner or specific exfoliator (limit chemicals)
- moisturise with aloe vera gel mixed with either rosehip seed oil OR Weleda calendula face cream
- occasional light peels with dilute lactic acid
- dermarolling forehead with 1mm
- loads of fruit and veg, low GI carbs, supplements as per signature.
This has smoothed/ plumped my fine lines, made my skin softer, reduced blackheads, more of a glow. I am about to start with the Anti-ageing Lightstim, then will add in non-acid forms of vitamins A (retinol) and C (MAP).

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
musettarose
5% products discount

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
How often do you dermaroll? I've started so far with the vit c/e ferulic combo, doesn't seem to bother my skin, maybe my skin is not really sensitive, just dry. That's interesting about the sulphates, I'll have to research that.
Is there anything you can do for the jowles? I've been doing some neck & face exercises. Also I take efa oils, and I can't put any kind of cream close to my eyes as it makes them water for hours.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Facial exercise is supposed to help jowling, as is the Lightstim (and presumably other LED devices). I dermaroll every two to three weeks, vary it depending on social commitments and if I have recently done a light peel! Razz

Do you wear contacts? Creams making your eyes water is not usual, that might suggest sensitivity or low grade inflammation. What do you mean by any kind, what have you tried so far? Which EFAs are you taking - long chain omega-3s? My skin needs a fairly high 'dose' to be happy.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
I'm over 40 and like Firefox7275 my regimen is pretty simple.

PM Regimen:

*Oil cleansing using Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a fresh face cloth each time (I bought a bunch of white ones which all get washed at the weekend in the hot cycle of my washer with bleach).

*After wiping off the oil with a warm cloth, I splash my face with lukewarm water then use a paper towel to dry it. I don't apply anything to my face after that except Vaseline which I apply under my eyes. (I don't use anything else on my eyes and my eyes look fine--a tip I learned from Eva Fraser--so maybe that may work for you too?)

[Every few days, I will skip the OCM (oil cleansing method) and just use a face cloth and plain water spraying from my shower. I simply massage my face as the water hits it. I got this idea from a friend of mine with oily skin who had very beautiful skin. Mine isn't oily but used to be combination dry. It's amazing how something as simple as this can actually be good and not as scary as it sounds. My face feels great afterward.]

*Every now and then, I will do face exercises just before I go to bed after the OCM.

AM Regimen:

*Splash my face with lukewarm water and wipe with a piece of paper towel.

*Apply sunblock, draw in eyebrows (I rarely wear any much more make up than that)...the End.

I do try to eat well and thankfully, I find pastries sickeningly sweet so except for English scones which are delightful and my weakness, I don't care much for cookies or cakes or most baked goods with gooey stuff, which does help keep my sweet tooth in check. I live for fruits and I've grown to love veggies. My water intake is sometimes below par but I'm working on that. A few drops of apple juice in water make it such a joy to drink. It could just be a few drops that change the color and I'm in water drinking heaven. Apple juice in sparkling water makes a nice bubbly that helps me cut back on Coke, my other drug of choice. *sigh* I am also working on my sleep. I am a night owl and seem to forget to go to bed in good time...which is never a good thing.

About jowls, we were just talking about that the other day in the DIY forum. Below is the link to that discussion and I shared an exercise I think is great for lifting jowls and giving a nice jawline: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=44436
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
musettarose - I think your routine looks good. I would just make sure your tinted moisturizer provides proper sun protection.
musettarose
5% products discount

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
I definitely should start on the jowl exercises,these are all good tips! I have to look into the dermarolling, had never heard of it before.
What do you do about the neck wrinkles, I've just started having those, it is shocking for me as my face still looks young, but neck is showing and eyes are starting to droop! Can you do retin A on your neck? Dermarolling on neck too??
musettarose
5% products discount

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Oh I forgot to mention that even coconut oil makes my eyes water, maybe I should use a gel moisturizer?
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
musettarose wrote:
What do you do about the neck wrinkles, I've just started having those, it is shocking for me as my face still looks young, but neck is showing and eyes are starting to droop! Can you do retin A on your neck? Dermarolling on neck too??

I've gotten them too even in my younger days...but all I ever did to get rid of them was face exercises (I'm clueless on anti-aging products because face exercises seem to have saved me the need for them). I don't believe in spot training so I always do a full program so that all the muscles are targeted and together they effect a nice change.

Perhaps Carolyn's new The Brush "exercise" may help a little while you wait for suggestions on topical products? You can see it at this link: http://www.carolynsfacialfitness.com/the-brush
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
musettarose wrote:
Oh I forgot to mention that even coconut oil makes my eyes water, maybe I should use a gel moisturizer?

BTW, Eva even says using nothing is better than using eye creams. Why not try this on a weekend when you have nowhere to go: just use nothing and see if you don't actually like that? Sometimes our bodies do try to give us hints about what it is that would work for them, but we ignore them and end up causing problems. In most cases, less is more.

These are my eyes and I have used nothing on them but Vaseline under them at bed time or when I exercise since I was 20. I am in my 40's now. These pics were taken one evening after work so I wasn't exactly very rested plus I do have bad sleeping habits coz I just won't go to bed when I should. Anyway, I took the pics to show my eyes when I'm not smiling and when I am. The pics on the left are when I'm not smiling.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
musettarose wrote:
I definitely should start on the jowl exercises,these are all good tips! I have to look into the dermarolling, had never heard of it before.

IMO it would be worth getting your eyes checked by your family doctor, just in case you have dry eye or suchlike. Long chain omega-3s (oily fish) are effective for eye hydration as is low molecular weight hyaluronic acid - these are both good for skin too so might be worth considering once you have seen the doctor. Be sure not to put oils or creams right up to the rim of the eye as products can spread further with your bodyheat, skin oils or sweat.

You can dermaroll the neck except right over one spot ... the windpipe, Adam's apple? Forget which; some find the neck painful tho. But IMO give the exercises a shot and focus on hydration first. You can always reassess in a few months.

You can certainly use Retin-A or antioxidant serums on the neck which would be of particular benefit for sun damage not so much loose skin; just take it slow because the neck can be a sensitive area. I have done light lactic acid peels which worked well: the skin is super smooth, my decollete more even toned, and the neck seems to absorb products more readily. Lactic does not dehydrate the skin, you just get very slightly sore not flaking or strips peeling off. This is better than the more drying acids because it is not possible to keep your neck immobile for a week at a time. Shock

musettarose
5% products discount

Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:47 am      Reply with quote
Wow, 'the brush'method is interesting, leaves my neck feeling tingly. Your eyes look good Nonie, I will try vaseline. And I do have a condition where my body does not retain salt, have to take pills for it, so I think that could be part of the hydration problem, that and it's winter here. I take efa's and primrose oil everyday and if I miss I do pay for it!
I don't have any sun damage, just the loose skin so I will look into the lactic acid peel for the neck. Also would the lactic acid peel work for loose stomach skin from pregnancy, I had a baby 2 years ago, took large amounts of efa, oils and still had stretch marks. You can't see the stretch marks, just really loose skin, yuck!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Be sure you are taking in long chain omega-3s and not simply short chain from plant oils. Borage seed oil is richer in GLA than evening primrose, you might consider switching because other omega-6s are pro-inflammatory. Also the ratio of O-3 to O-6 in our diets as a whole is critical, for most of us that means supplementing DHA/ EPA only or in far greater quantities than O-6 because the Western diet contains an excess of O-6.

Peels do not tighten up loose skin in any significant way, unfortunately that can be difficult to treat. It may be worth researching LED devices, or perhaps radiofrequency as I am sure I have read of these tightening skin. There are several long threads on different devices over on the DIY board.

gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 41 & have been using copper peptides for about a year and a half and Tua Trend but not as much as I was last year.... Very Happy You probably will be better off learning to do facial exercises; if you want to invest in gadgets go with the Clarisonic & Lightstim.

I'm big on exercise but taking a break from that lately-- it helps increase human growth hormone and hormonal balance in general. Have actually been doing a lot of yoga lately, got this DVD at Target:

http://www.amazon.com/Bethennys-Skinnygirl-Workout-Bethenny-Frankel/dp/B005L0XY5C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1326492516&sr=8-5

TCA peels are great, I think they do tighten a little bit:
http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/products/MUAC_Radiance_Peel-479-94.html

Thread is locked but you might also consider some kind of vibrational anti aging product. Ageless Secret Gold sounds soooo interesting, would have possibly used throughout 30s if I'd heard about it:
http://agelesssecret.com/
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=39478
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |