Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Phyto-C SuperHeal O-Live Lotion (30 g / 1 floz) Payot Supreme Jeunesse Nuit (Night) (50 ml / 1.6 floz) glominerals gloShimmer Brick - Luster (7.4 g / 0.26 oz)
Niacinamide to fade brown spots?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Goose
5% products discount

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:35 am      Reply with quote
I am reading a lot about how niacinamide can help fade brown/sun spots.

Is anyone using a product with this ingredient for this reason? Have you noticed an improvement?

I am at my wits end trying to find a product to fade my sunspots. I use Burnout Clean and Clear with 20% zinc oxide for my ss.

I have tried Obagi (works but the spots come back worse once you stop), Retin A, AHA, vit C.

Thought I might ask about this from the experts Smile

All suggestions are welcome? I know there are DIY niacinamide recipes...Have you tried any of these? Can you share your experience?
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
I too have been reading about niacinamide, but for acne/redness.

Smart Skincare reports
Quote:

Of particular interest, is a well designed (double-blind, placebo-controlled, split-face, left-right randomized) 12-week study in 50 women of the effects of 5% topical niacinamide on various signs of skin aging. The researchers reported significant improvement in fine lines/wrinkles, hyperpigmentation spots, texture and red blotchiness. (While well designed, the study was sponsored by Proctor and Gamble, so a potential for bias cannot be ruled out.)

This is a link to the study.

More on the study: here.

DIY is a good way to go if you have a good base cream and niacinamide. I suggest you see if it works for you first. IngredientsToDiefor sells a nice cream called Vital Night Repair. It's really affordable, and has no parabens, artificial colour/smell, etc.

ingredient list:
Quote:
INCI: Purified Water, Glycerin (Vegetable), Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola) Extract, Ginko Biloba Leaf Extract, Camelia sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Rosa demascena (Rose) Floral Distillate, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Myristyl Myristate, Caprylic Capric Triglycerides, Populus tremuloides (Aspen) Bark Extract, Hydrolyzed Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seedcake, Royal Jelly, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Glyceryl Stearate, Vaccinium myrtillus (Bilberry) Extract, Persea americana (Avocado) Fruit Oil, Macadamia ternifolia (Macadamia) Nut Oil, Phospholipd (Vegetable Delivery System) (and) Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Phospholipd (Vegetable Delivery System) (and) Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C Ester), Hyaluronic Acid, Avena sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Saccharum officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Allantoin, Citrus Aurantium dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Citrus imonum (Lemon) Extract, Camellia japonica Oil, Aleurites moluccana (Kukui) Nut Oil, Oenothera biennis (Black Currant) Seed Oil, Acer saccharum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Squalane (Olive), Borago officinalis Seed Oil,Rubus idaeus (Red Raspberry) Seed Oil, Vitamin E-MT50 (Mixed Tocotrienols)
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
Whoops. Forgot to add that it doesn't list the percentage of niacinamide, but I'm sure you can email them and ask.
havana8

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I know many have had success addressing hyperpigmentation with NIA24 products. Not sure if you seen the Before & Afters on their website: http://www.nia24.com/science/before_after.cfm
hzzyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
I'm intrigued by NCN's new age spot product which has niacinamide and N-acetyl-D-glucosamine.
My skin's evenness has improved since I started her 2% all-trans retinol almost 2 months ago and my melasma patch has faded quite a lot but I have some spots that appeared around my eyes in the last year that I'd like to fade.

http://ncnskincare.com/new-items-c-23/formula-5-5-5-age-spot-remover-acid-free-exfoliator-p-27
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
This isn't a nourishing sounding solution, but it does work - Just get the liquid wart remover, dab on a bit and wash it off in a few days. You can do this about twice a week. Sometimes a dark spot will peel off in just 1 application (that has once happened with me) but usually it can take a few applications. It is cool to see a freckle peel off!

I think this works like a sort of minipeel as wart remover solution is about 17% salicitic acid. The kind with a brush is most convenient and it costs less than $10.

Mismis
System
Automatic Message
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Viz-1000 Intensive Hydrating Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Repair & Protect Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (50 ml / 1.7 floz) BDB The Jet Setter (3 items)